My chances of getting into UMDNJSOM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdesi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I applied to UMDNJSOM. I LOVED the school when I went to visit in April. Oh, I am a Jersey resident. I just dont know what my chances are considering how low my MCAT score is :
9BS, 8VR, 6PS, WS-Q. I will be retaking in August.
I have a 3.36 undergrad, 3.2 premed postbaac, and 3.85 masters in public health, and 3 years of work experience in public health. I am hoping they will atleast send me a secondary. What are my chances???

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I feel that you have a decent shot at UMDNJ-SOM. You seem to have a great master's GPA and your undergrad GPA is just under their mean. Although your MCAT's a little below average, you still have between an 8 and 9 in the Verbal and Biololgy, arguably the most important sections. Also, I assume you are a NJ resident so I think you have a good shot especially with your wide range of experiences. I would also apply to NYCOM, UNECOM, and LECOM. I gaurauntee an acceptance out of one of these schools.

Honestly, it's hard to say. Your stats- especially the MPH- range from tolerable to kick-ass... except for the MCAT, which you already knew. And although there are certainly people accepted every year with low MCATs (check a few of the other threads for anecdotal evidence), there are many, many more people with low MCATs and otherwise decent stats vowing to try, try again next year.

Don't let this discourage you- as I said, other people have done it, so you can, too. Still, _definitely_ re-take the MCAT, and take a review course if at all possible. It certainly can't hurt. Apply to all the schools that you feel might be a good fit, and make sure your essays and recommendations stand out from the crowd.

Also, I'm pretty sure that SOM sends secondaries to everyone. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me. (No promises on an immediate response, though- I just started rotations. :) )

Good luck!

Paige

I think you will make it because they can see through your hard work and dedication... They know that it's easier to boost the science score than a verbal...as long as you memorize some more stupid physic and g-chem formulas in your head plus you are out of undergrad school for a while.

Good luck and keep posted.

Dreamy.