my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quartel

Mitte 1 home prn
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.2GPA with 21's on dat, 24 yr old Canadian aiming for any private school that will accept me....any recommendations?

I also have a previous 3yr BSc, right now im going into 4th yr of Hns biology...yeah i messed up my gpa bad before.

my chances? Where can I hope to get in?

Ive looked at private schools like NYU and even there it looks insane to get entrance. People with low GPA like me have no chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine....21 + is way above average for the DATs at most schools, even very competitive ones, and your GPA is fairly average at some schools. I don't think anything until below 3.0 really starts hurting your chances drastically.

my only problem is that you're Canadian...oooo...that kills it. j/k

Your DAT score is great . . .

Try to match up with schools that accept applicants with similar stats as yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that DAT score I don't think you will have a problem getting in somewhere.

you stand a pretty good shot at some private schools.

You are fine....21 + is way above average for the DATs at most schools, even very competitive ones, and your GPA is fairly average at some schools. I don't think anything until below 3.0 really starts hurting your chances drastically.

my only problem is that you're Canadian...oooo...that kills it. j/k

yeah tell me about it. Canadian dental schools are pretty insane to get into. Much harder to get into than American schools.

I'm Canadian so my understanding is that I cannot apply to a school if it is not private? Well I hear that private schools are supposedly more lenient but after checking the stats it's really hard to say if my chances are much better applying to private. Any thoughts on this. Sorry I honestly don't know much.

james

you stand a pretty good shot at some private schools.

*COUGH* which ones?

boston 3.16 *** 5% 115/2129
case western reserve 3.35
columbia 3.24 6% 73/1100
creighton 3.41
howard 3.04 *** 8.3% 83/1000 people get in
loma linda 3.42
marquette 3.47
meharry 3.0 *** not many 6% 50/878 get in
new york 3.14 ***** probably best bet?? 13% 268/2040
nova southeastern 3.4
tufts 3.31 150/2000
rochester
south cali 3.47
pacific 7.7% 3.27

These are a list of private school I've compiled. It lists a GPA but I dont really know what it means because people that were accepted had higher GPA and DAT scores than the GPA listed above.

yea it is hard to get into canadian dental schools but it is also hard for international students to get into american dental schools.

yeah tell me about it. Canadian dental schools are pretty insane to get into. Much harder to get into than American schools.

I'm Canadian so my understanding is that I cannot apply to a school if it is not private? Well I hear that private schools are supposedly more lenient but after checking the stats it's really hard to say if my chances are much better applying to private. Any thoughts on this. Sorry I honestly don't know much.

james

I am pretty sure as an international student, you are limited to private schools, but private schools stats and acceptance rates of international students vary...so yes, some are harder and some are easier...

There are only between 10-20 private dental schools, so apply to all of them if you can, or contact schools you are most interested in and ask how much of a factor your international status is in their opinions...some will give you a run around, others will give you straight answers.

Most likely the school's policy on international applicants is disclosed on their website.

But calling the school is a good idea too . . . hopefully they'll give you an honest answer concerning your chances.

Most likely the school's policy on international applicants is disclosed on their website.

But calling the school is a good idea too . . . hopefully they'll give you an honest answer concerning your chances.

That's a good idea. I'm just afraid that they will tell me what I want to hear so they can suck my application fee.

I am pretty sure as an international student, you are limited to private schools, but private schools stats and acceptance rates of international students vary...so yes, some are harder and some are easier...

There are only between 10-20 private dental schools, so apply to all of them if you can, or contact schools you are most interested in and ask how much of a factor your international status is in their opinions...some will give you a run around, others will give you straight answers.

thanks.

I just realized being born in canada sucks!

Hey...yeah I'm from Canada too and I just got into dental school for this upcoming year. I did ok on the DATS (not stunning, but still) and I have like an 85% avg. (haha my school doesn't do the whole GPA thing), but I also have a LOT of extracurriculars. I applied to both Canadian and private US schools and I got into the US. So I think that although my scores weren't like super spectacular, the extracurriculars are key for some schools. I know that Canadian schools don't really care about that tho. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...yeah I'm from Canada too and I just got into dental school for this upcoming year. I did ok on the DATS (not stunning, but still) and I have like an 85% avg. (haha my school doesn't do the whole GPA thing), but I also have a LOT of extracurriculars. I applied to both Canadian and private US schools and I got into the US. So I think that although my scores weren't like super spectacular, the extracurriculars are key for some schools. I know that Canadian schools don't really care about that tho. Hope this helps!

with 85 average you can pretty much get in anywhere as long as your dat scores are not atrocious.

which school did you go for undergrad in canada?

i was looking through the stats....some people with below avg gpa's and avg Dat's made it into columbia....how is this possible. Not trying to insult people but I simply want to know..

Does community service count for anything?

I went to Brock. I think that this year, I was at a big disadvantage because of the whole Canadian double cohort thing and how there is practically twice the amount of students from Canada applying. To be honest, I applied almost everywhere in Canada and I didn't get an interview at a single school. I met the minimum GPA requirements for most of the schools, but I just think that there were so many ppl going for it this year that the GPA was even higher than they expected. I remember for one school, my letter said that the GPA for an interview was like a 3.88...what?! I'm really glad I applied for private schools in the States tho, because I think that they don't focus on the grades as much as Canadian schools...and your DAT scores are awesome, so I'm sure you have a good chance!

i was looking through the stats....some people with below avg gpa's and avg Dat's made it into columbia....how is this possible. Not trying to insult people but I simply want to know..

Does community service count for anything?

your DATs are good but your GPA may cause you some problems. even to get into most private schools you need about a 3.4. your community service does count, but numbers are more important as far as getting interviews. you should try to take additional classes to bring up your GPA.

At this point Canadian schools are not even an option. So ya I'll just have to apply to every private US one and hope that one of them accepts me and if not I guess plan B is reapplying with slightly better grades...

I was doing some volunteering and a physician told me the same thing, grades are more important. I mean...if you don't have good enough marks to even get an interview what's the point of community service?

thanks for all your replies, they have been helpful to the max.

also do they look at current GPA or CGPA or both?

I didn't do well in my 2nd yr ...

Hey,

I would assume the science GPA is given more emphasis, but I think both the CGPA and SGPA are looked at.

Just a question...if we do obtain a DDS from USA then will it be harder to get a Job in Canada. I was on a bus today, and i say 2 dental clinics, 2 medical centers, and another 2 medical centers, which were very close to each other!!! maybe about 25 footsteps:)

Its gonna be pretty hard to maintain a private practice:)

I'm not positive, but the dentist I volunteer with said that if you go to an American school and want to practise back in Canada, you would have to do both the American and Canadian board exams...which stinks!:thumbdown:

the question is....why would you want to practice in Canada?

People actually go out of their way not to work here.

Well a couple of reasons...

1) I have to get a green card...and after I grad, I cant just start practicing in the USA,right ?

2) I have never been to the states, but stereotypically since high school, I've always thouhgt that ppl in the states are somewhat mean...more crimes deaths..eg...their was a statistic on SDN that Detroit had 600 homocides, compared to only 10 in Toronto

3) Friends

4) No tornadoes, hurricanes

5) Cheap

6) I would have to use subways, I think

there are probably more reasons, but these are just some minor ones

Well a couple of reasons...

1) I have to get a green card...and after I grad, I cant just start practicing in the USA,right ?

2) I have never been to the states, but stereotypically since high school, I've always thouhgt that ppl in the states are somewhat mean...more crimes deaths..eg...their was a statistic on SDN that Detroit had 600 homocides, compared to only 10 in Toronto

3) Friends

4) No tornadoes, hurricanes

5) Cheap

6) I would have to use subways, I think

there are probably more reasons, but these are just some minor ones

Whoa!!!!

I just visited the NYU site, and it states that INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS must write the SAT'S!!!! Is this true, I must be misunderstanding this!!!!

please call them gochi, Im too busy with exams right now to be calling them.