My dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar to another poster, Calc I is giving me trouble. I am in my freshman year and have been doing OK until I hit Calc. I wont reveal my actual grades, but I am borderline B-C and it is only getting harder. I want to try and keep my transcript free of any Cs.

Right now, I have 16 credits, with 5 of those coming from Calc. If I dropped Calc, I would have 11, putting me below 12 and full time. What would happen if I did this? I just dont want to have to risk it in Calc, thats all.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you have to take calc at some point, right? Is there anything that makes you believe you'd do better the 2nd time around as opposed to sticking it out and doing the best you can to finish it now?

I understand that GPA is important for med school, but it shouldn't be the only driver in your college life either. Dropping calc now and having to retake it means that you'll have one less opening to take an elective you're interested in down the road. That said, I'm assuming you're taking advantage of all tutoring, extra credit, and other help to bring your grade up now...

Good luck!

Chris127 said:
Similar to another poster, Calc I is giving me trouble. I am in my freshman year and have been doing OK until I hit Calc. I wont reveal my actual grades, but I am borderline B-C and it is only getting harder. I want to try and keep my transcript free of any Cs.

Right now, I have 16 credits, with 5 of those coming from Calc. If I dropped Calc, I would have 11, putting me below 12 and full time. What would happen if I did this? I just dont want to have to risk it in Calc, thats all.
I got into med school on my first application cycle, and I had a C in calc. Unless you are biomed engineering, don't sweat it. Do your best in the class, then rock the rest of your stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the W if it would keep your GPA up. Go to summer school to make up the Calculus course and try to get an A over the summer.

Chris127 said:

can u ask to get a pass/fail grade? i had a friend who is now a doctor who almost failed 1st semester calc but got the prof to let her change her status to p/f instead of a grade right before the final. i guess this depends on school policy b/c when i was in college, we couldn't request p/f after the 1st 2 weeks and most profs didn't let us take p/f if it was in our majors anyway. this friend went on to not take 2nd semester calc cuz she sux at math (though i think u should continue on to 2nd semester cuz i think it came up at interviews though she was not a science major) and still got into our state med school and did her residency at harvard (b/c she rocked her boards)

Chris127 said:

During the spring quarter of my freshman year, I was taking 3 classes (12 units) but dropped 2 of the 3 classes. Not only that but the one class I kept, i got a C+ in. Damn you starcraft (sadly... im not joking).

Anyways, of all my interviews, only one mentioned it and I gave them the honest truth that I wasnt fully focused yet during my freshman year and let my social life get the best of me. They totally understood and told me theyre happy to see I got my act together towards the end. I got into that school so they mustve meant it.