My Favorite Wine Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man,

have had some great cabs recently...

Caymus 2003 cabernet...Napa

Alex's 2002 Oakville Estate...red...Napa

My alltime favorite vineyard is Silver Oaks Alexander Valley...a little closer to the water than Napa, providing maritime influence...although their most recent vintage is a little disappointing...year 2000 and earlier vintages are fit for royalty!

Members don't see this ad.

jetproppilot said:
Man,

have had some great cabs recently...

Caymus 2003 cabernet...Napa

Alex's 2002 Oakville Estate...red...Napa

My alltime favorite vineyard is Silver Oaks Alexander Valley...a little closer to the water than Napa, providing maritime influence...although their most recent vintage is a little disappointing...year 2000 and earlier vintages are fit for royalty!

Sorry man, but I'll take a good beer over wine any day. I don't think I've spent more than $5-6 on a bottle in my life. I like lambruscos and rieslings, but I have a feeling that any wine afficionado would laugh their ass off if they heard that. I guess someday I'll have to cultivate a taste for it...I can't stand most white wines, and every time I've had merlot with a meal I can't drink it because I think it tastes horrible when you drink it while you are eating.

If anyone would like to throw out the names of some good brands that a med student could afford to experiment with, hit me up.

Caymus is a great wine. The only bottle I've tasted was a 2001 I think. But if I'm gonna spend that much, I'd rather buy Opus One. Although most think it's overrated, it has always been wonderfully complex with a smooth finish. I've heard that it doesn't age well over 7 years - but I doubt that will happen with me because it has a tendency to not stay in my rack for long. (I can't wait to eventually make some money and buy a home with its own cellar)

Members don't see this ad :)
Spent 2 months in Argentina prior to residency and enjoyed most of the Malbec Mendoza... any year

Andy15430 said:
Sorry man, but I'll take a good beer over wine any day. I don't think I've spent more than $5-6 on a bottle in my life. I like lambruscos and rieslings, but I have a feeling that any wine afficionado would laugh their ass off if they heard that. I guess someday I'll have to cultivate a taste for it...I can't stand most white wines, and every time I've had merlot with a meal I can't drink it because I think it tastes horrible when you drink it while you are eating.

If anyone would like to throw out the names of some good brands that a med student could afford to experiment with, hit me up.

Well said, Andy, well said.

I'll cut through the chase.

You can always find a $60.00 great cabernet, if you know whats good.

Not all expensive wines are worth the $$, but many are.

Even if you have twenty mil in the bank, the cool game is to find out

The Best Twenty To Thirty Dollar Bottle of Wine On Earth.

Heres a vignette for ya....

2 years ago an interventional radiologist buddy of mine and I rented a limo to take all of us to a neighboring town to a restaurant for food, wine, good time.

I get into the limo.

Immediately, Steve shoves a wine-filled, rotund wine glass into me.

"Dude, takka sippa that.........and telll me, geographically, where the wine's from."

NO PROBLEM, I think to myself. Reds are my specialty!!!

SO,,,,

I swirl the crystal-engulfed concoction for maximum oxidation.

I put my nose below the lip of the wine glass, and inhale like a dude inhaling some primo con-bud.

then take the first sip.....

orally swirl it around....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jet: "OK Dude, chewy. Fruity, Dry, Low Tannin.

"Nice Napa or Alexander Valley."

Steve: "Wrong, Dude. Louisiana." :confused:

Turns out the cab was Pontchartrain Vineyards Cabernet ....

PRICE?

$18.99.

Nice presentation. Nice finish. Finished like a fine bordeaux.

Thats the trick, folks.

Find the Mecca-Twenty-Dollar-Bottle-Cabernet.

VentdependenT said:
night train

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

this guy always cracks me up.

along the same vein though.... a bottle of Boone's Strawberry Hill or MD20/20 tastes as good or better than any primo bottle of wine or champagne when you're under 21 at 2am with a group of good friends.

but i digress... carry on boys!

djipopo said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

this guy always cracks me up.

along the same vein though.... a bottle of Boone's Strawberry Hill or MD20/20 tastes as good or better than any primo bottle of wine or champagne when you're under 21 at 2am with a group of good friends.

but i digress... carry on boys!

got to admit i got a laugh out of that one. one bottle of boone's strawberry hill will definetly put a smile on ur face. there has to be a downside to a $2.00 buzz! I wouldn't mind dabbling in good wine and learning bout them but when i go to a restaurant the waiter throws out at least a few dozen names out in a fury that i usually say: "hmm, yea, the last one u mentioned" and i'm usually not happy with the taste.

OK so wine is high society and all that. I have tried toadjust my taste but it just doesn't cut it after ripin' down the mtn on your bike or snowboard. So I have continued to pursue my passion. "BEER"

Nothin quinches your thirst like a beer, nothin gets you ready to charge the mtn like a beer and nothin can give you balls like a good beer, to jump off that 20ft cliff into the pow pow. Well maybe the KINDBUD can get you going the same way but that is another topic, I think. Jet I think you been smokin the wrong **** man.

"con bud"? Is that from angola or what? :laugh:

Personally, I like the local beers. Durango brewery and Ska brewery are ****. If you can't get a hold of one ot=f these fine ales then go with the old faithful and always great, guinness. That is the best beer day after day time after time. Hell, you can through a raw egg in it and call it breakfast if you want.

VentdependenT said:
night train

Nice! a la James Brown..., or my favorite, Axl Rose:
"Loaded like a freight train / flying like an aeroplane / speeding like a space brain / one more time tonight / I'm on a Nightrain / bottoms up / I'm on a Nightrain / fill my cup / I'm on a Nightrain."

While Night Train is quality, I recommend Cisco

Also, please don't mistake the name Axl ROSE in my above post with the outstanding red wine, Wild Irish ROSE!

I don't know.....My palate is just not sensitive enough to discern good wine from bad wine....so I stick with hard liquor.

militarymd said:
I don't know.....My palate is just not sensitive enough to discern good wine from bad wine....so I stick with hard liquor.

I'm about as far away from the wine-snob personality as you can get...but man, theres a huge difference between an average bottle and a GREAT bottle.

And its kinda fun figurig it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:

Yeah, I'm the same, although I get snobby about beer. Actually, with red wines, I can figure out what's bad but the difference between OK and great is lost on me. White wines are a whole different story. After a long day of sitting around at Logan (before they FINALLY canceled my flight), I came home and cracked open the bottle of 2003 Valckenberg Gewurztraminer ($12.99) that's been chillin in my fridge for the last couple of weeks. Made everything better. :)

Also, whoever mentioned Malbecs -- totally agreed. Pretty affordable too, which is great for us med students. :)

I don't discriminate. Beer, wine, liquor.. it's all good, and I'm a total snob about all three. Since the topic of discussion is wine, I'll toss out Markham Merlot as one of my favorites (I forget which years were good, but they're recent). It's only $15-25/bottle, and is very smooth. I'm too poor and busy to spend a lot of time buying and drinking wine, but when I go out to good restaurants I like to try a variety of wines by the glass, and I write down the ones I want to buy. Usually they end up costing per bottle what the restaurant was charging per glass. Know a nice big, bold, buttery chardonnay?

bullard said:
Yeah, I'm the same, although I get snobby about beer. Actually, with red wines, I can figure out what's bad but the difference between OK and great is lost on me. White wines are a whole different story. After a long day of sitting around at Logan (before they FINALLY canceled my flight), I came home and cracked open the bottle of 2003 Valckenberg Gewurztraminer ($12.99) that's been chillin in my fridge for the last couple of weeks. Made everything better. :)

Also, whoever mentioned Malbecs -- totally agreed. Pretty affordable too, which is great for us med students. :)

Have you tried Fetzer's Gewurztraminer? I don't know if it's considered "good" or "bad" but it's one of my fave's.

Mad dog 20/20 red in a paper bag and a walk in the park or a ride on the L are the only ways to drink.

apellous said:
Mad dog 20/20 red in a paper bag and a walk in the park or a ride on the L are the only ways to drink.

some dude i went to college with drank only MD 20/20 so that he might earn the nickname maddog. fool. that stuff is distilled from evil.

Just curious see if anyone else has (unfortunately) been exposed to as much ghetto as I have...(not in the cool MTV video way - more like in my west side chicago way)...
Subject - wine

Complete the phrase: What's the word? _______!

I swear I'm not making this up. I think it was (is???) an add campaign.

I have always had luck with Black Opal out of Australia. The cabs are good and so is the shiraz. And they fit the medical student budget, at least mine.

aredoubleyou said:
Just curious see if anyone else has (unfortunately) been exposed to as much ghetto as I have...(not in the cool MTV video way - more like in my west side chicago way)...
Subject - wine

Complete the phrase: What's the word? _______!

I swear I'm not making this up. I think it was (is???) an add campaign.

THUNDERBIRD!!!!

Ruffino classico chianti. It's a good starter wine, and always pleases the pros. I'm not a connoisseur, but I know what I like.
Also
White zin: beringer
merlot... anything..

Had the best Bodka (thats Russian for Vodka) last night. Went to my partners house b/4 the hospital Xmas party and had some drinks. He just got back from Russia last year with some bottles of Russian vodka and we drank it straight. It was the best vodka I have ever tasted. So smooth that you could sip it, drink it, or gulp it. It didn't matter. I can't give you guys the name cause it was in Russian and I don't seem to remember how to spell it much less pronounce it.

Noyac said:
Had the best Bodka (thats Russian for Vodka) last night. Went to my partners house b/4 the hospital Xmas party and had some drinks. He just got back from Russia last year with some bottles of Russian vodka and we drank it straight. It was the best vodka I have ever tasted. So smooth that you could sip it, drink it, or gulp it. It didn't matter. I can't give you guys the name cause it was in Russian and I don't seem to remember how to spell it much less pronounce it.

Its green, or some weird color, huh Noy?

Frank Rizzo said:
THUNDERBIRD!!!!

HELL YEA!!! Looks like O'le Frank might have spent some time traveling to the hood when he was underaged too- going to the liquor store that everyone knows they don't card :laugh:

Frank Rizzo said:
Nice! a la James Brown..., or my favorite, Axl Rose:
"Loaded like a freight train / flying like an aeroplane / speeding like a space brain / one more time tonight / I'm on a Nightrain / bottoms up / I'm on a Nightrain / fill my cup / I'm on a Nightrain."

While Night Train is quality, I recommend Cisco

Ahh Cisco.

Cerca 1995 I had my first and ONLY Cisco experience. Nothing like waking up with your pants around yer ankles (no, certain body parts didn't ache) in your bedroom with the phone off the hook next to your head.

Who'd I call you ask. Well I found out a call to 911 costs 2 bucks. No one showed up thank god. Guess I wanted to talk to anyone. :)

VentdependenT said:
Ahh Cisco.

Cerca 1995 I had my first and ONLY Cisco experience. Nothing like waking up with your pants around yer ankles (no, certain body parts didn't ache) in your bedroom with the phone off the hook next to your head.

Who'd I call you ask. Well I found out a call to 911 costs 2 bucks. No one showed up thank god. Guess I wanted to talk to anyone. :)

Are you sure no one showed?

Maybe it was the EMT's that pulled your pants down to yer ankles. :laugh:

aredoubleyou said:
HELL YEA!!! Looks like O'le Frank might have spent some time traveling to the hood when he was underaged too- going to the liquor store that everyone knows they don't card :laugh:

Oh yeah, except the traveling was done during highschool when I actually worked retail in a very ghetto area, and sold the crap. We're talking true ghetto, I never got held up, but the store got ganked 4 times that summer, and I saw a stabbing in the parking lot... Good times! The upside of that was my easy access to alcohol, which is so key at that early age! I only had the lovely Thunderbird once, however, and that was enough!

VentdependenT said:
Ahh Cisco.

It only takes one. I also only ventured down the Cisco road once. I only have two distinct memories of that episode: 1. Wondering how the horrible tasting syrupy crap was going to get me drunk. 2. The 2 day hangover that followed. Everything in between is black.

Thats why I stick to ice-cold beer.

Frank Rizzo said:
It only takes one. I also only ventured down the Cisco road once. I only have two distinct memories of that episode: 1. Wondering how the horrible tasting syrupy crap was going to get me drunk. 2. The 2 day hangover that followed. Everything in between is black.

Thats why I stick to ice-cold beer.

howevever iced cold beer can also do a number on your hippocampus---won't ever forget those sketchy memories at a bowling alley bar when I drank a couple pitchers of beer. it was a nice ghetto bowling alley, but I dared never to show my face again as i was afraid of recalling any more embarresing memories--like trying to flirt with every single girl in the bar with my very sexy dysarthric voice, and broad-based ataxic gait.

MedicinePowder said:
howevever iced cold beer can also do a number on your hippocampus---won't ever forget those sketchy memories at a bowling alley bar when I drank a couple pitchers of beer. it was a nice ghetto bowling alley, but I dared never to show my face again as i was afraid of recalling any more embarresing memories--like trying to flirt with every single girl in the bar with my very sexy dysarthric voice, and broad-based ataxic gait.

Had a dude fixing us very, very strong Long Island Ice Teas a cuppla years ago...

and it led to the one and only amnestic alcohol night of my life...

BIG PARTY at our crib, and I didnt remember a thing that happened after 8:30 PM... :scared:

jetproppilot said:
Had a dude fixing us very, very strong Long Island Ice Teas a cuppla years ago...

BIG PARTY at our crib, and I didnt remember a thing that happened after 8:30 PM... :scared:

What Jet? You don't like having to ask your buddies if you had a good time last night?

These Christmas parties are really getting my cytochrome p450's all reved up. I could probably safely metabolize an otherwise lethal dose of aceteminophen with these bad ass hepatocytes o' mine.

VentdependenT said:
What Jet? You don't like having to ask your buddies if you had a good time last night?

These Christmas parties are really getting my cytochrome p450's all reved up. I could probably safely metabolize an otherwise lethal dose of aceteminophen with these bad ass hepatocytes o' mine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

VentdependenT said:

Venty,

Post-Katrina has made my cytochrome-P-450 CLINT EASTWOOD LIKE.

"GO AHEAD. MAKE MY DAY."

I'd pull up to the drive-up daquiri place (yes, in Louisiana they have drive-ups for alcohol) and the dude wouldnt even have to ask me the type of drink....he knew...Large Margarita with an extra Cuervo shot....

dude would hand signal me...

"ONE? OR TWO?"

:eek:

jetproppilot said:
Venty,

"GO AHEAD. MAKE MY DAY."

I'd pull up to the drive-up daquiri place (yes, in Louisiana they have drive-ups for alcohol) and the dude wouldnt even have to ask me the type of drink....he knew...Large Margarita with an extra Cuervo shot....

"ONE? OR TWO?"

And I thought the little piece of tape keeping it legal was urban legend all this time. Nice...

jetproppilot said:
Venty,

"GO AHEAD. MAKE MY DAY."

"ONE? OR TWO?"

lolz

My liver may be able to handle the upcomming egg nog concoctions but it will be my lactosely challenged GI tract which will make sure I have a merry christmas morning.

jetproppilot said:

i've lost articles of clothing, not to mention memories and gastric contents, in Germany.

that's what happens when you give an 18 year old guy a bottle of Sambuca and a mug, with no additional instructions.

Among the many things I miss about NOLA is Abita..amber..purple haze..turbodog..wheat.
[sigh]
that and spicy pickled beans...