My First Practice MCAT Scores...Comments>?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you thought about my first crack at the MCAT.
Online test offered through Princeton website.
Keep in mind that I have not yet completed Organic Chemistry. Also, I have not yet taken Physics (set for this summer), Biochemistry, Anatomy, or Physiology.
And, the real test is still 12 months away.

Anyway, here are my scores:

Physics - 5
Biology - 6
Verbal - 7

Total - 18

I am not terribly dissapointed, but it was certainly a humbling experience. I have a full, "sit-down" version on the 25th of March. I would love to do better.

Just wanted to share this info and I welcome feedback.

Thanks

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 03-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 03-12-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're near the end of a year-long course in Orgo, and that you've taken Bio already, so what happened with the 6 in Biological Sciences?

The Physics I can understand considering you haven't taken a course in Physics, but what about the Verbal?

Does that online test help you identify areas in which you may be deficient? That would help out a lot with zeroing in on topics with which you're having particular difficulty.

Do you find MCAT Orgo less, more, or the same in difficulty compared to your classwork?

How are your premed grades?

Tim of New York City.

When I saw those scores, I almost died laughing. From reading your posts you sound like you are some hot ****, but that test was really sad. Spend less time on this message board and more in the library. I hope you haven't put all your eggs in one basket. When you get all those rejection letters, I think you will be in some depressed funk unless you prepare yourself for the rejection now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, given that you have probably had at least 12 years of English, and you might have taken Bio and Org. Chem, those scores are pretty low.

With that said, let me add the qualifier that taking the MCAT online is nothing like taking the paper version, and is probably the worst way to evaluate your skills with the MCAT.

In addition, the Princeton Review is slightly harder than the real thing, especially on the Verbal section.

If you really want to know what the real thing is like, buy a copy of a past MCAT from the AAMC--the people who actually write it. It's expensive ($35/test), but its worth it and comes with the solutions. This will give you a better idea of what to expect, and you will most likely score higher.

That's real nice SUNYboy, let's rag on the one guy here who goes out of his way to only post encouraging things to anyone who asks for help. Were your scores the first time taking the MCAT so much better than his that you are an authority?

DOWannabe, good luck with your studying. You scored better than a lot of people do when they take the MCAT cold...and you haven't even had physics yet. You'll do fine. For now, concentrate on the verbal and bio stuff, judging from your posts, you ARE an intelligent guy and I'm sure you will do fine when test time comes.

Hehehehehe! 18! Hehehehehe! Come to think of it, I think you are right on target for DO schools, wannabee.

Thats not good, keep studying

Let me do a bit of clarifying about my first post.
First of all, this was my first time ever viewing an MCAT question. I do not yet own an MCAT study book and have not yet looked through my old textbooks to begin studying. I plan to do most of this after my full "paper" version which is in two weeks (25th).

Secondly, I believe that the online test was fairly difficult in one particular aspect: concentration. Try staring at a computer screen and reading tiny print (I estimate it to be 10 point type or less) for nearly 5 hours straight, then try to answer questions based on it. I believe that if given a sheet of paper, I would most certainly be able to relax more. Also, it would be easier to read the passages and I would be able to cirle important aspects of the reading.

Finally, there was absolutely no place available where I could access this online test where there was not some kind of disturbance. No matter where, in my room or in the school's computer lab, something is going on.

True, I have alreday finished biology. I have found that half-way through my Microbiology course, that a great deal of early Biology is being supplemented with practical knowledge of drugs and bacteria. The one section of this part which I really messed up on was a full passage on the kidneys and pH and things like that. I cannot help but think that maybe a full year of Physiology (next year) will help me with this section....quite possibly the Biochemistry scheduled for next year as well.

Organic Chemistry is not a particularly favorite course of mine, but I find that much of what I did not know on the MCAT (questions I got wrong) were merely things which I have alredy learned, but have not yet reviewed.

As for Physics, I took an introductory Physics course my first semester (a completely useless class where the major focus was on optics) and got an A+. I am now changing my major, so I must retake a full year course in Physics. Not suprisingly, much of what I got wrong in the Physics portion of the exam were things I have never been exposed to.

I thank those of you who gave me a positive response, and to those of you who do not seem to believe in me, well...that's fine too.
I am planning on conentrating on this exam for at least 8 months. I have old MCAT study books from 3 friends, all of whom are in Medical School now (2 Osteo, 1 Allo) and also from another friend who is a year ahead of me and applying to Osteo.

And as for being a hot****, or whatever. I was in no way bragging, because I know the scores are low. I was merely stating that I fully exected to get straight 5's, and the fact that I did even slightly better than expected, I was pleased. I think 18 is a decent score to start from, considering my current position. I know when the time comes, I will be confident and relaxed, being that I have had nearly a full year to prepare.

One last thing, when I become a physician (yes WHEN, not IF), I fully intend to encourage the younger people who are in my situation now. I believe that being a physician in a responsibility which goes far beyond taking care of people. I believe that with the position comes a duty to encourage others to strive for better health and well-being of our fellow man, which entails encouraging younger people to receive an education which puts them in a place to provide much needed medical care. If not, why are any of you in this field?

Thank you for reading.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
"D.O. Wannabe"

To JPHazelton.
It's good that you are preparing the MCAT quite early and have lots of confidence in yourself. Personally, i think the scores at this moment do not tell anything how you will do a year latter, especially after you complete your physics series and have more time to review your org. The only advantage of taking practice test this early is to pace yourself with the real test and get familiar with the type of questions so that you can study them as you cruise along the academic courses. The more classes you take, the more knowledge you'll have on the subject. I think you'll be fine in science parts. If i were you, i would be more concerned about the verbal part. One last thing, even though you can take MCAT up to 3 times, most medical school prefer you have one good shot at it. Take your time, delay the test if you have to, and ace it. Besides, some people do a whole lot better on practice test than real test, some have the other way around. Good luck

Josh,

I compliment you on your post! I don't think your score is low at all. My first attemp at MCAT resulted in a much lower score than yours, but I improved it with practices and got accepted to a few DO schools :) I also live in the Philadelphia area (outside Philly), so if you would like to get my MCAT books, I'd be happy to give them to you. Good luck!

SUNY BOY,

hmmmm..... interesting, a "boy" would even have more maturity that you seem to have gained in your 20 odd years. Just interested, what field do you plan to enter? I suggest proctology. Takes one to know one.

Hehehehehe! 18! HEhehehehe! Ahem! I think you are a genius. Wow!!! I think you set the record for someone taking it this early. I think the newspapers should be calling you soon, child prodigy. You are brilliant, man!!! Keep it up!!! IF you get in, please update me on where you practice. I'll try to get my medical care elsewhere. Also, at least I CAN practice proctology if I wanted to, thats more than I can say for some people. Guess who?

Josh--

The important thing to remember is that the MCAT is a test you CAN study for, more so than most standardized tests. If you do not have a review book yet, I would recommend the Flowers and Silver book by the Princeton Review. It helped me a lot, and it was a lot cheaper than a review course. It sells for about $55 new, but I got one at an online auction for ten bucks.
You certainly have the right attitude to become a doctor, I must admit. And any patient will tell you that brains are only half the ingredients for success.

As for some other posters (above), they shame their profession, their school, and themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JPHazelton:
Just wondering what some of you thought about my first crack at the MCAT.
Online test offered through Princeton website.

I took Princeton review. My first diag I got a 21 and my actual mcat was a 28. I think the test they offer is designed to get your attention and make you feel you are in need of their services. A year is plenty of time to prepare if you utilize it effectively. Good luck to you!

My performance on my first practice MCAT diagnostic through Kaplan was pretty sad. I think you actually beat me by a few. It was certainly disappointing to put it mildly. By the time I took the real test I got myself up to a 27 Q. My advice? Study, study, study. I wouldn't panic quite yet. You've got plenty of time. Besides most of us eat it on the first practice attempt anyway, you'll do fine.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 03-13-2000).]

I thank all of you for your responses. And again to those of you (one person in particular), good luck in life. I have yet to find one person, with such an immature attitutde as yourself, succeed in life. But, I am not making fun of you, simply telling you that I feel sorry for you.

TQL: I would be intersted in the books, drop me and email at [email protected] and we can talk.

Thanks again everyone for all that you said, and hopefully all that you will help me with in future posts.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
"D.O. Wannabe"

I can't believe how immature some people are, and it's scarier that they are what we have in our medical profession. I got into a COUPLE of medical schools, and the very 1st time I took a practice MCAT I got a 13 and brought my score up no problem. If you study well ahead of time, and are determined, you should have absolutely no problem.

[This message has been edited by D.O.2B (edited 03-16-2000).]

That's why you are DO 2b and not MD 2b. Enough said!! 13!?! Goodness gracious!!!

Josh (or anyone else interested)-

I have a brand new (not even opened) 1999 Flowers & Silver MCAT book (like the one recommended in a previous reply.) It has two practice tests, full explanations, and some helpful advice. I will sell it for $10 plus postage.

Scully

That's actually not the book I meant, although that's a pretty good one, too.

There are two MCAT books by the PR.

One is a gigantic MCAT review book, looks like the Manhattan Yellow Pages
smile.gif

Sells for about $55.

The other is a book of two practice tests and their solutions, sells for about $30. I own both, have looked at lots of MCAT books, and these have worked well for me.

I also have the ARCO book of practice MCATS which, by the way, stinks. Chock full of mistakes.

I can't speak for the others (Kaplan, etc.)

Hey SUNYboy what stellar scores did you achieve to back up that mouth of yours? You sound like your full of it to me. Why don't you share with the rest of the class about your grand accomplishments. It would take a 36 minimum to support that attitude of yours. You probably didn't even take the test did you? You talk such a big game, yet you never disclose your own scores. Why is that? Hmmmm.

I agree
sunyboy is pretty pathetic.

A 45 wouldn't back up that attitude.

Exactly UHS03. I think SUNYboy should stick with his/her Pokemon dolls and leave the MCAT and medical school discussion to us adults.

Pokemon...hahaha

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
"D.O. Wannabe"

Sunyboy, get a life...why are you raggin on someone that hasn't even taken all the courese required for the mcat..while you have and still couldn't score over a 20 !!

Ahh, so the plot thickens. Interesting imformation provided by DOman.

VR- 12
PS- 13
WS- S
BS- 13

M-I at SUNY downstate

That means you go to school with Tim!

Hey Tim, who is this yahoo?

Also, S-Boy, if you really got those scores, why are you going to school in Brooklyn? Was there something majorly wrong with you that kept you out of schools that have MCAT averages closer to your purported scores?

Hmmm.....your personality, perhaps?

Yes, I am in school with Timmy. We all know how annoying he is in person. You all just thank your lucky stars that you only deal with him here.
frown.gif

SUNYboy is NOT a medical student at SUNY Downstate.

He's probably some failed premed with a chip on his shoulder... A defector from the Princeton Review board who's here because it seems SDN has achieved a similar reputation for ridiculous posts.

smile.gif
Back to studying...

Tim of New York City.

Sunyboy- congratulations on your superior scores and acheivement. good luck in school and in everything.

relax:
18 actually isn't THAT bad of a score for a first time...I'm not saying its that good, but its not that bad...try focusing on a single section of the physics area, a single section of the biological sciences area, then try to take a practice test, but only address the questions that relate to what you have reviewed...don't waste time taking a complete test again until you've broken down where your weaknesses are and addressed them...YOU KNOW WHERE THEY ARE, just go through any of the review books and start slowly focusing on them...getting into medical school REALLY isn't that difficult. and ONCE you do get in, your MCAT score really means zippo, zilch, nothing...In four years of medschool NO ONE has every asked me my scores except for a couple of people whose penis size was inversely proportional to their egos.

First Diag. at PR. V-3, P-6, & B-9.
Actual MCAT: V-7, P-11, & B-ll.

Sleep well the night before the MCAT. Play sports all day and then sleep for 12 hrs. the night before. This will help you immensly, trust me. I was dosing off during verbal due to lack of sleep.

I remember studying for the MCAT. Those
dreaded practice exams! I never thought
(and could not believe that anyone) could
score a 10 or above on a section of the
MCAT. Nevertheless after intense studying
10B,9P,10V, and OW.

My first princeton review diag: 6V,6B,6P
Final Score: 9V,10B,10P,Q

It was almost three years ago tht I bout the Flowers and Silver book, but I was very turned off by the NUMEROUS mistakes in it. The fact that you could write and tell them about the mistakes did not impress me. Hopefully, it's better now.
Personally, I was impressed with the Columbia Review's four-test book, but it doesn't have a review. Kaplan offers a 50% tuition reduction for students who qualify financially. Although I was not impressed with all my instructors, I found the review books to be very helpful, especially after twenty years of academic hiatus!
But if you are pretty current on your coursework, the best advice is to take LOTS of practice tests. Also check out that recent post about the verbal reasoning on one of these boards - great advice!
Don't let the jerks get to you - I know people with 4.0s that started at 18 or less and ended up with 30 by improving their test-taking skills.

Josh, Don't stress, this is why it is called a PRACTICE test. It lets you know where you need to focus and where you are on target. You have courage(to admit your scores and know you would be subjected to ridicule)and determination. You have a year to keep studying the areas where you need help and to take the other classes. You are doing fine! Someday after you score a 30, you will look back on your 18 and laugh. Just keep plugging along! I have nothing but faith in you. Vaya con dios!

first diag 5v 6v 7b
1st mcat 9v 10b 11p
2nd mcat increased
biggrin.gif

(these are the real stats, if anyone's following, ive used lower numbers in the past)

sunyboy sure has beat me on this one, we'll hafta take it up again on the boards.

a-dog, youre right in my hood with that 92503

jphazelton, worry not about first exp. with mcat. all i used for the first mcat was a Kaplan book (had a cdrom) that i got from crown books. for my 2nd mcat i took princeton review.

"on my signal, unleash hell."
gen. maximus