• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

My first rejection :(

ubcredfox

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2005
    trishaaa said:
    I got an e-mail from them on 7/20 saying:

Dear Applicant:

Your application for the next entering class has been received from the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).

Our office will contact you when further information is required.

I don't think you ought to worry Trish; I got the EXACT same email, and then a week later they sent me secondary app invite. I didn't think that was a rejection letter...but than again I'm Canadian so maybe I'm a little simple ;)

I really really ought to disconnect my internet...I ought to be typing :) Yay for these essays...if not for them, I could be at the beach right now :)

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Feb 24, 2005
    Classyville
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      ubcredfox said:
      I don't think you ought to worry Trish; I got the EXACT same email, and then a week later they sent me secondary app invite. I didn't think that was a rejection letter...but than again I'm Canadian so maybe I'm a little simple ;)

I really really ought to disconnect my internet...I ought to be typing :) Yay for these essays...if not for them, I could be at the beach right now :)
      They all got actual rejections in addition to the above quoted email.

trishaaa said:
      I got an e-mail from them on 7/20 saying:

Dear Applicant:

Your application for the next entering class has been received from the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).

Our office will contact you when further information is required.

They should've said, "Our office will contact you when we find a nice way to say that we don't want you."

I just realized how angry I am getting about this!!!!
      actually, that's the e-mail I got before they asked me to send a secondary. But that's probably already been mentioned.

About the Ads

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 21, 2004
      1. Medical Student
      2. Resident [Any Field]
        TheProwler said:
        I'd recommend sending it to me first. I'll screen it.
        :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bwells,

Either that was real random, or it has something to do with being compared against a different applicant pool. Either way, I'm sorry to hear it.

chaeymaey

1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        May 25, 2003
        TX
        prettydoc.blogspot.com
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          hardy said:
          I have been wondering a while why you don't apply to more schools, especially ones with lower averages such as Drexel, MCW, Rosalind Franklin. Especially with a rejection rolling in it would be a good time to add other schools. I am sure you thought about it but every time I see your profile I wonder why you don't apply to more schools!
          This rejection made me realize how much I really want to get in this cycle. I took your advice and added Albany and Drexel. I'm so easily influenced by others...

Reimat

Friend of talking skulls
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 25, 2004
          East Coast
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            crazy_cavalier said:
            woohoo my first "letter of regret" :laugh: oh well. I'm glad they screen. I think more schools should screen.

Yea, I'd much rather have not gone through the work/paid the money to do a secondary only to denied an interview- or worse, spend more money to interview then not be accepted. Kinda hoping I start hearing back from schools that screen pre-secondary so I can have fewer secondaries to write ;)

Reimat

Friend of talking skulls
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Feb 25, 2004
            East Coast
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              gujuDoc said:

Bwells,

Either that was real random, or it has something to do with being compared against a different applicant pool. Either way, I'm sorry to hear it.

I take solice in knowing that the process is, in part, a giant crap shoot. Actually, think about how much fun that would be- if you were on an adcom that had a big craps table and instead of playing with money, you played with applicant's files? :laugh:

Just trying to add a little humor :D

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
              10+ Year Member
              Jun 29, 2005
              Stony Brook, NY
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Reimat said:
                I take solice in knowing that the process is, in part, a giant crap shoot. Actually, think about how much fun that would be- if you were on an adcom that had a big craps table and instead of playing with money, you played with applicant's files? :laugh:

Just trying to add a little humor :D

You get admitted by the "distance effect". They take our applications, throw them, and the ones that go the farthest are the people that get interviews.

This is then repeated for admissions and alternate lists. The theory is that random chance ensure diversity. :laugh:

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
                10+ Year Member
                Jun 29, 2005
                Stony Brook, NY
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  gujuDoc said:

Bwells,

I guess I should have waited until mid-December to apply. That's when they gave me a secondary last year.

Oh well, the other schools I've heard back from that screen have all given me secondaries. Including three of my top four choices :D

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Mar 28, 2005
                  1. Medical Student
                    I guess you could say I got my first rejection. I got a letter from Marshall University. In the letter it said that they are only taking in-state applicants of right now and if they were to take out-of-staters they have to have highly qualified stats. Oh well, I just didn't know they are so heavily instate. I even did my research by emailing and checking the MSAR out. :)

greendot

SDN Angel
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Jun 18, 2005
                      BrettBatchelor said:
                      My records say 17% OOS for marshall from 2004 data.

In the 2005-2006 MSAR, Marshall matriculated 6 out-of-state students out of a total of 53 new students. That seems low on its own, but the situation is indeed dire for OOS students considering the following:

Instate: applicants - 207, interviewed - 159, new entrants - 47
                      Out-of-State: applicants - 502, interviewed - 25, new entrants - 6

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.