Jul 2, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Status
Pre-Dental
So, I have basically been having a difficult time this semester. My girlfriend of 6 years and I broke up a month ago (her decision) and for about two weeks I didn't attend classes I was so broken up. I laid in bed for basically that whole period. As a result my grades have been not doing as well. For the main classes I'm taking (2nd semester Physics w/ Calc, Analytical Chemistry, 3rd semester Calculus) My grades should still be at worst B's. However, for one class I missed an exam that was 25% of my grade, and the class is graded 50% on attendance. As a result the best I could do is a D. I decided to drop the class and get a W rather than study for a D.

My question: How bad will this look to dental schools? I want to have a realistic chance to get accepted my first round of applying, so how will it affect that as well?

Nov 20, 2009
Status
In my opinion its better to have a "w" than a D. You can always come up with an excuse for that W. It won't look bad, just make sure you have an explanation, and make sure that explanation is not your broken heart.

ozzie33

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
In my opinion its better to have a "w" than a D. You can always come up with an excuse for that W. It won't look bad, just make sure you have an explanation, and make sure that explanation is not your broken heart.
I got a W and they didn't even mention it. Also helped it was freshman year, and if they did say something I could just point out that I retook the class and got a B

Ninja9

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Tampa
Status
Pre-Dental
I had 3 W's and none of them were ever mentioned in my interviews. I think as long as you have a good GPA, a few blemishes aren't going to matter THAT much.

salem21

5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Status
If you take a look at predents.com, you'll see a lot of people getting in with gpa's under 3.5. So obviously there are students getting in to schools that aren't perfect. Just use it as motivation for a great DAT score, get some shadowing and volunteering in, and get your GPA up and you'll be fine. You definitely aren't alone; just scroll through some old posts and see all the other people who are facing similar problems. Keep working hard and you'll be back on track.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
Status
Dental Student
If you take a look at predents.com, you'll see a lot of people getting in with gpa's under 3.5. So obviously there are students getting in to schools that aren't perfect. Just use it as motivation for a great DAT score, get some shadowing and volunteering in, and get your GPA up and you'll be fine. You definitely aren't alone; just scroll through some old posts and see all the other people who are facing similar problems. Keep working hard and you'll be back on track.
Get a W is MUCH better then having a letter grade that'll really hurt your GPA when you apply to dental school. Since W wont count towards your GPA, although some schools WILL still go ahead and count that W as a F still, but hey...that's only a handful.

DatRat86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I had 2 w's, dont sweat it just dont get more then you have to and it wont affect your chances at all!

wwdaffodils

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't worry about it too much, but use it as motivation to work extra hard next semester. None of my interviewers mentioned my one W at all, except for my interviewer at Penn. She asked something along the lines of, 'Well, I see the rest of your transcript is great, but you seem to have had a bump in the road during your 2nd semester of sophmore year?' That semester I was about to get a D in intro bio (intro bio!), so I took a W instead, and I wasn't doing so hot in my other classes either (B, B+, B-). I told her, honestly, that as much as I wish I had a legitimate excuse, I didn't. I just took on more than I could handle that semester (full course load + job + internship), and I learned a big fat lesson in time management. I think my interviewer actually appreciated my mistakes because she was talking about students who are always good at academics and what happens the first time that they're faced with difficulty. I got in with my lousy semester, but bear in mind that I basically got all A's until I graduated. Your interviewer will understand that you're not a robot, and that these things happen. Be honest, own up to your mistakes, and try again.

dentalstudent00

be patient...
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
prior to taking the W, did you at least attempt to email or meet with your professor to explain the situation? i'm pretty sure he/she would have been totally understanding to your short period of depression and recovery.. it's a very normal process especially after 6 years and anybody could relate to this fact. i know how you feel and in panic, most would not take the time to reach out and seek help from a counselor or professor, but they are human as you are. if it doesn't work, the W will be noticed, but your future grades, hopefully more A's and a high DAT score will definitely overcome a W.

as for your relationship, realize that is no more. but what you do have is a passion to be a dentist and financially security. personally, this will take you farther in life than that chick that once broke your heart.. years from now, you will look back and realize that your wife is far hotter, funnier, smarter, sweeter, kinder and caring and easily triumphs any ex-girlfriend you once had by miles. your life will make sense and better yet, you will have the skills to donate and help out the community. everybody wants to have a passion and purpose, but in the meantime, i say you take the time you once spent with that chick and hit the gym, increase that cardio, bulk up and concentrate on academics. plus, there are now plenty of smart girls you can study and party with that you couldn't before :thumbup:

sfoksn

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status
Dental Student
keep in mind some dental schools count W's as flat out F's... example: UCSF

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
I keep cracking up about how people think W's are like the bubonic plague. As long as you have less than say 4 or 5, it's a total non-issue, as long as it's not the same class a number of times. I had 6 for various reasons, and it didn't even come up once at any of my interviews. Because of partly the silly advice people give about how bad W's are, and this was before I actually understood their real insignificance, I chose to stick in a class instead of taking a W, and that D did unrepairable damage to my GPA, so lesson learned.

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Take the W. I'm sorry about the break up. I can imagine that being devastating. Hang in there. :)

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
keep in mind some dental schools count W's as flat out F's... example: UCSF
i don't know how true that is but i'll search around. if it is true it's ridiculous. :thumbdown:

Impulse155

5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I had 3 W's and none of them were ever mentioned in my interviews. I think as long as you have a good GPA, a few blemishes aren't going to matter THAT much.

Good to know I took the D over the W or PNC...

Jul 2, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the information everyone. I will take the class next semester and get an A.

As for my actions during my depression phase, I didn't do anything. I literally sat around my room nearly 24 hours a day.

My question now is what should I say if I am asked about the W in an interview? I don't want to say I took on too much of a course-load because it is untrue and I would think would look bad. I also wouldn't want to dive that deep into my personal life in an interview. I guess those are the only explanations I can come up with and both seem to be bad reasons or excuses.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
Status
Dental Student
i don't know how true that is but i'll search around. if it is true it's ridiculous. :thumbdown:
I asked UCSF admission last year when I applied. They say they'll look at the LATER grades if you repeated classes. So I am assuming that means they don't look at your 1st grade, including the F. C. West for sure counts W as a F as I was told straight up by the admission recruiter.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Thanks for the information everyone. I will take the class next semester and get an A.

As for my actions during my depression phase, I didn't do anything. I literally sat around my room nearly 24 hours a day.

My question now is what should I say if I am asked about the W in an interview? I don't want to say I took on too much of a course-load because it is untrue and I would think would look bad. I also wouldn't want to dive that deep into my personal life in an interview. I guess those are the only explanations I can come up with and both seem to be bad reasons or excuses.
Although I highly doubt they will, just be honest, that's one of the most important things during your interview. Just say that you had some personal issues going on at the time, but that you'd resolved them, and since you got a good grade on your retake, it shows you know the stuff. It's a legit answer, everyone has personal things come up now and then - we're not robots.

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
i hit up a friend of mine at UCSF and this is the respone i got.:

-yo. this is the response i got from our dean of admissions, hope this clears things up.

"Honorable withdrawals are not F's or NP grades. They appear as W on the transcript. But anyone not in dental school might think that one can withdraw from a given class any quarter as can occur in undergraduate studies. As you know, this is not the case. All courses have to be completed during the quarter or quarters assigned. If not the student has to withdraw from the year and retake all the courses. Hope this makes sense."-

so W's are not considered F's, but do look bad if not retaken.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
one W ain't gonna kill you. Chances are it woun't even be asked in the interview process.

Just retake the class another semester and try your best.

My underestand of W's is that it is ONLY bad if you have too many of them. Its showing them that your just unable to handle the courses your putting on your schedule.