my friend said writing this in PS was bad!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhohspaghettio

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I briefly mentioned how being a physician would give me much needed job security. Exclude or include it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah leave that out. There are plenty of other jobs that can give you job security. It's not a compelling reason to become a physician and it sounds kind of selfish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I briefly mentioned how being a physician would give me much needed job security. Exclude or include it?

Exclude.

Nor should one say: "Being a physician will let me maintain the lifestyle to which I have been accustomed." Word for word from a PS I recently edited.

Exclude. Definitely exclude.

Exclude.

Nor should one say: "Being a physician will let me maintain the lifestyle to which I have been accustomed." Word for word from a PS I recently edited.

Perhaps the writer is used to 100 hour weeks, yes? That's a lifestyle that some physicians maintain.

I really can't see any reason that this should belong in your personal statement. Even if just used in a joking way...I just don't see that working.

I just thought of this hypothetically and was wondering how appropriate this would be - if you mentioned being a physician would give you much needed job security and explained it by saying how you've seen your parents laid off many times and how much it sucks. I thought of that because I half-expected some kind of justification to the OP's words "much needed"

Still no. There are many jobs that offer job security without nearly as much as preperation required.

Perhaps the writer is used to 100 hour weeks, yes? That's a lifestyle that some physicians maintain.

Um, no. Having come from a "very comfortable" background, as he qualified later in the rest of the paragraph, "maintaining a certain lifestyle" referred unequivocally to the monetary benefits.

I just thought of this hypothetically and was wondering how appropriate this would be - if you mentioned being a physician would give you much needed job security and explained it by saying how you've seen your parents laid off many times and how much it sucks. I thought of that because I half-expected some kind of justification to the OP's words "much needed"
It's just not a good motivation for going into medicine. Sure it's valid, and it's one we have all considered at some point....but when it comes to your PS you have one chance to talk about your motivations for medicine; is that what you really want to say?

Yeah leave that out. There are plenty of other jobs that can give you job security. It's not a compelling reason to become a physician and it sounds kind of selfish.

Exclude it. It will make you sound like you havent put too much thought into it, yet knowing that people will always need access to med care is a good reason.

You can work at a police station and have a lot of job security, everyone around you would have a gun.:laugh:
You could work at the DMV, they seem to do next to nothing all day yet, still keep their jobs. Thats Security
Or loose your job, that a way you dont have to worry about loosing it, yet another aspect of security, not having it to begin with.

Um, no. Having come from a "very comfortable" background, as he qualified later in the rest of the paragraph, "maintaining a certain lifestyle" referred unequivocally to the monetary benefits.

Ah, well. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. At least you can't say he's dishonest.

if you're from Michigan, it at least shows good sense...

If this is your reason for going into medicine, or one of your reasons, then you should include it. Your PS should be reflective of what you think... not what other people think you should be thinking or writing.

the personal statement is meant to highlight your strengths and draw attention to the qualities that make you a unique applicant.

listing job security as one of your reasons for pursuing medicine will, AT BEST, show the reader that you are -- practical?

so even if your reasoning does not hurt you, how much do you really gain? "welp, here are two identical candidates -- let's take the practical one." it just doesn't seem like a likely scenario.

for whatever it's worth, my opinion is exclude it.

I would exclude it, personally. I feel like you could use the personal statement to discuss more unique reasons and experiences attracting you personally to medicine.

I will exclude it. Then, what should I include that would make me look unique?

I will exclude it. Then, what should I include that would make me look unique?

You're unique. Don't worry about that. Just read up on how to write a great personal statement and get to work. As you write and revise ... unique experiences, thoughts, and ways of saying them will come to mind.