My gf's mother...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with my girlfriend today and she said that her mom was a little hesitant about me going into pharmacy. She works for a hospital and apparently "knows" that pharmacists will be outsourced and that everyone will by ordering their drugs online or through the phone anyway. I don't really care about justifying my career choice to her, but I do want to educate her on her ignorance. Anyone know how I can reassure her that there will always be a need for pharmacists? (I know there are other threads relating to this..I'll be searching for them too)

She's also worried that I'll be in debt after school from loans. Apparently, she doesn't know how much we make starting right out of college ;)

Members don't see this ad.

This is why pharmacy is transitioning into the more patient centered model of practice. Pharmacists will always be needed for things other than dispensing and thats what we are all going to school. Just reassure her that you will be doing more than that!

What does she do at the hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to post something about this on the prepharmacy forum, I'll give you the real reason why your girlfriend's mother is telling you that. She doesn't really like you and she's making excuses on why she shouldn't like you. One of them is that you're going into a profession that is going to become useless and be jobless with a lot of school loans. She's just waiting until her daughter dumps you so that she can set her daughter up with one of the medical doctors in the hospital that she works at. Now that's the straight scoop.:eek:

If you're going to post something about this on the prepharmacy forum, I'll give you the real reason why your girlfriend's mother is telling you that. She doesn't really like you and she's making excuses on why she shouldn't like you. One of them is that you're going into a profession that is going to become useless and be jobless with a lot of school loans. She's just waiting until her daughter dumps you so that she can set her daughter up with one of the medical doctors in the hospital that she works at. Now that's the straight scoop.:eek:

Hehehe, good point. This is the kinda BS her mom would give you if she hated your guts. Considering what she told you to your face - your job being useless and etc, I am 99.9 % sure she thinks her daughter could do much better. Forget her mom, who cares what she thinks anyway ?

I agree with all comments above.

As long as there are drugs there will be the need for (Pharmacists) who are knowledgeable about drugs and are here to answer patient's concerns. I too agree that pharmacy is moving towards a more clinical oriented setting.

If your gfs mom already hates you, I doubt you can convince her other wise with your logic and reasoning. Let her be and keep doing what you do.

:)

lol, she obviously doesn't know what shes talking about. There are how many drugs available? Like a bajillion? So why would there not be a need anymore for an expert on drugs? Just doesn't make any sense. Hellooooooo mother-in-law :eek:

Who cares what she thinks. The important thing to consider is how she looks. After all, that is probably what your GF will look like when she ages. :laugh:

Who cares what she thinks. The important thing to consider is how she looks. After all, that is probably what your GF will look like when she ages. :laugh:
Does your gf have cankles, and is her mom overweight/obese...? You know what that could me. :eek:

I was talking with my girlfriend today and she said that her mom was a little hesitant about me going into pharmacy. She works for a hospital and apparently "knows" that pharmacists will be outsourced and that everyone will by ordering their drugs online or through the phone anyway. I don't really care about justifying my career choice to her, but I do want to educate her on her ignorance. Anyone know how I can reassure her that there will always be a need for pharmacists? (I know there are other threads relating to this..I'll be searching for them too)

She's also worried that I'll be in debt after school from loans. Apparently, she doesn't know how much we make starting right out of college ;)

Evidently, you girlfriend's mom is an idiot. Does she think it requires a doctorate to count pills into a bottle? That aspect of pharmacy was originally replaced by techs and is now being done by machines. She has no clue what a pharmacist does. She has never visited the pharmacy in the hospital. Pharmacists (just in the hospital) get requests from physicians to kinetics counciling, do some compounding (especially in the pediactric ward), as well as correct dosing mistakes on perscriptions before they are filled. At the VA, pharmacists even have perscriptive authority. Not to mention the other 12390875 different things pharmacists do. If pharmcists are going to be outsourced, why is the deficit the country is facing now such a big deal?

How on earth would pharmacist be replace by online pharmacies that's beyond stupid. I mean ppl need their rx right away if u have a sick baby are u going to say oh let me get on the computer and scan my rx and wait a day or two for it to come in the mail.

It sounds like she's discouraging you alot with the loan thing too. Dump her daughter and tell the mom to go to hell haha just kidding :D. Just ignore her comments and do what u gotta do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another reason why we won't be going to pharmacy self-service. What mother would trust her daughter's prescription to a faceless entity that couldn't give a care less about her. What if she has questions? What if something goes wrong and she needs someone to consult? Pharmacy is not about counting pills, and anyone who believes that probably deserves to be stiffed on their brand-name drugs when a sugar pill would give them just as good results.

I have 2 solutions for u:

1. You and your gf move out and live together...forget about your gf's mother.
OR
2. Dumb yourgf....get another hotter chick. Problems solved!

Haha I had a feeling what reactions I would get and I was right.

Yes, her mom is pretty clueless and even I was surprised of how much she didn't know. From what I can tell, she works in administration for a local major healthcare system. And no, believe it or not she does not hate me. Except for her opinion about my career choice, we get along perfectly well. I'll explain to her what we do as pharmacists, and if she still has a problem with it, I could care less. BTW, she never told anything to my face...she was talking with my gf on the phone and she relayed back the conversation to me. In the past, the only things she's ever mentioned to me in person was that she thinks pharmacy will be replaced by automated machines and pharm techs.

No, I will not dump my gf...and neither have cankles! She actually agrees with how crazy her mom appears. And I can't find anyone hotter:D

There's a rule that either your gf likes you or her mom does ... but both won't under any circumstances ... so if your gf likes you, her mom doesn't! lol

Mother doesn't like you...enough said. All my BSN friends/family members like the fact that I'm going into pharmacy...because, "Physicians are always stressed out and as a nurse you don't get paid as much as a pharmacist." Direct quote from my aunt, BSN for 25 years.

And I can't find anyone hotter:D

It's DTB time. Dude, in a few years you'll be making a six figure income. You'll be able to find hotter chicks. It'll be time to trade her in for a hotter, younger model. Trust me.

Follow the Leykis 101 rules.

For a list of the rules check out this site: blowmeuptom.com

I hope everyone is over-reacting and being sarcastic, because it isn't as bad as everyone thinks. I get along greatly with her mother and father..more so than other relationships that I know...its just that the mom has some ignorant views about pharmacy. But I will educate her about the profession next time I see her, especially since I am armed with what people have said here (about pharmacy, not recommendations of dumping her daughter) lol

It's DTB time. Dude, in a few years you'll be making a six figure income. You'll be able to find hotter chicks. It'll be time to trade her in for a hotter, younger model. Trust me.

Follow the Leykis 101 rules.

For a list of the rules check out this site: blowmeuptom.com

Not this Leykis crapp again. What makes you think his gf won't dump him and trade him in for someone hotter,taller and blonder with larger body parts ? Regadlress of what chicks say : we care. :laugh:

LOL. This thread is hilarious. :D To the OP, you should ask the mother if she would trust her health to online pharmacies and machines, especially in a few years when she might have to start taking more meds and they start interacting w/ each other. And also whether she thinks gazillions of people like us pre-pharm/pharmacy students/pharmacists are stupid because obviously there are THAT many people involved in pharmacy or are somehow related to the field. But to be nice and "respectful" because you don't want to get on the mother's bad side, just don't say anything. Let her feel stupid in another 4-5 years when you're making 6 figures and she's still stuck in admin dealing with cranky patients. Well..I take that back, while you both deal with cranky patients and you're making 6 figures while she makes minimum wage. :laugh:

Well, I was dating a girl awhile back who's mother was a nurse and her mother tried to tell me that the father always determines the eye color of the baby. She said she was told that in nursing school. I told her she was wrong, but I refused to argue with her. She was sure she was right. I just photocopied proof and left on the fridge at her house a few days later. She never mentioned it again.

you could always refer to to the job outlook handbook that states job growth is expected to be above average for pharmacists in the coming years... after all the government can't be wrong :D

theres so many reasons why ordering rx online hasnt be introduced in this new age. there are laws and etc that needs to be followed, it is most likely possible but still the physical appearance of a pharmacist will always be required otherwise there would be fraudsters out there.
lets not forget some drugs can fetch about 60-70 per pill in retail but at street price its about 110-200 per pill. if you get my point.

There is no way the pharmacy profession can be outsourced so soon. First of all, as long as there are drugs, there is a need for pharmacists. People say that they can get their prescription online or over the phone? I've heard this argument before. However, there are a LOT of drugs by law that can't be gotten as easily is that. Let's not even get started on C II drugs.

I went to Kaiser a few weeks ago and I saw a lot of techs doing most of the filling. The pharmacists were busy couseling the patients.

i thought this was an interesting post. I am a tech in the western, NY area at a retail pharmacy now where the company is cuting back hours and moving pharmacists due to low business. The pharmacists i work for atribute the cut in hours to loss of business from mail order. When i first began at the pharmacy 4 years ago we filled about 1800-1900 scripts a week and now are down to about 1100-1200. my question is are all retail pharmacies losing business due to mail order? I want to say its just the pharmacy i work for but im afraid it might not be. Anyone work at retail pharmacies in this area know?