My GPA is very low. What DAT score can offset this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, there is no real formula to determine this. Just try to get the highest score you can and apply. Your BCP GPA is higher than mine by .2 and my oGPA is higher by .1. I scored a 22AA 22TS and managed to get a interview at UW so far. Write a good personal statement and you might just be surprised.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I am on the same boat. I got my BS in biology from StonyBrook University. Overall gpa is below a 3.0. I decided to give NYU hygiene school a shot because of my fear of not getting into Dental school. I did very well in the program but never got to finish due to finances and lack of financial aid. NYU Hygiene was over $1300 a credit. I'm looking to aim high on the DAT in hopes offsetting my low gpa. I've been a dental assistant for over 10 years, volunteered abroad as a dental clinics coordinator in Honduras. Even did a dental implant course with my boss. I'm hoping overall I stand a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the same boat. I got my BS in biology from StonyBrook University. Overall gpa is below a 3.0. I decided to give NYU hygiene school a shot because of my fear of not getting into Dental school. I did very well in the program but never got to finish due to finances and lack of financial aid. NYU Hygiene was over $1300 a credit. I'm looking to aim high on the DAT in hopes offsetting my low gpa. I've been a dental assistant for over 10 years, volunteered abroad as a dental clinics coordinator in Honduras. Even did a dental implant course with my boss. I'm hoping overall I stand a chance.
When did you graduate and I feel like maybe you could've finished off hygiene school worked a bit and then gone back into the fray to take the DAT.

I graduated in 2011. NYU was the only school offering a part-time program. My circumstances are a little different. My parents moved back to the "motherland" and I'm alone working fulltime. I live with my sisters and collectively pay the mortgage on our house so finishing off a hygiene program I could afford meant going to school full time. I honestly LOVE my job. I can't imagine myself doing anything else at this point. My entire life up until this point has been dentistry. I want to at least give it a shot. Nothing like the feeling of regret. Even if it means getting into one of the "least" competitive dental schools. We all take the same boards. UNIVERSE CAN YOU HEAR ME! lol

Reactions: 1 user
You could try a cheaper program from DH, work as a DH for a short time and then apply to dental? Or perhaps just postbacc/masters and a high DAT score.

I have GPA 3.7 and science GPA 3.9 but my DAT is low 18 because of QR =15 but science = 20 .
I could not study for DAT bcs I am NCAA athlete & had to competed in NCAA championships
Do I have hope for any dental school? interview I have only 1 interview so far and its Oct 5

What is your complete breakdown, all your scores? It only takes one school to say yes. Today is October 5th, is your interview today? If so good luck.

Dr. Romano

What is your complete breakdown, all your scores? It only takes one school to say yes. Today is October 5th, is your interview today? If so good luck.

Dr. Romano
I had a good interview at Detroit Mercy, I have also PAT 24. Does PAT count? Which schools care about PAT?
What are statistics for acceptance: you need 3 interviews to get one offer or you need 6 interviews to get 1 offer?

I had a good interview at Detroit Mercy, I have also PAT 24. Does PAT count? Which schools care about PAT?
What are statistics for acceptance: you need 3 interviews to get one offer or you need 6 interviews to get 1 offer?
I am also very good at all the special things and hand -eye coordination, but that is not on test

I would not worry about statistics. You stated you had a good interview at Detroit Mercy and it only takes 1 acceptance. Having a great interview is a really good sign, you would not have received an interview if you had not met the criteria to go to that dental school. December 1 is not that far away, so sit tight and hopefully, you will receive an acceptance in round 1.

I have GPA 3.7 and science GPA 3.9 but my DAT is low 18 because of QR =15 but science = 20 .
I could not study for DAT bcs I am NCAA athlete & had to competed in NCAA championships
Do I have hope for any dental school? interview I have only 1 interview so far and its Oct 5

I wouldn't be too worried, the rest of your application looks very solid and the lowest score is QR which tends to be considered less important. I would reach out to the schools you applied to and see if they have any cutoffs for the QR section that could be holding you back. Did you apply early or late? That may also affect how many interviews you've received so far.