MD & DO My grades are scum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently a sophomore might lose scholarship if i don't pull my GPA above a 3

2.97 cGPA
2.94 sGPA

heavily involved in HIV research at my university med school
plan to pledge a fraternity fall 2015
volunteer and shadow during winter/ senior year

what do?

Members don't see this ad.

Get less involved with your research unless you are about to cure HIV/AIDS, then you should probably continue.

Do not pledge a fraternity.

Consider grade replacement/DO. Consider SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Raise your GPA as much as possible. Some schools pre-screen out under 3.0 GPAs. Retake your bad classes and DO grade replacement will help boost up your GPA. Figure out why your grades are low and drop your extracurriculars if it's hurting your grades because they MD and DO schools won't care if your GPA is low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raise your GPA as much as possible. Some schools pre-screen out under 3.0 GPAs. Retake your bad classes and DO grade replacement will help boost up your GPA. Figure out why your grades are low and drop your extracurriculars if it's hurting your grades because they MD and DO schools won't care if your GPA is low.
see there is my problem. retaking classes

the classes i would retake are the weed out 60% fail rate classes (not exaggerating). I passed those classes with C+

so far I have 3 C+ and a couple A and a bunch of B and B+

I think you're in an OK position OP. Lots of room for improvement, but definitely do-able.

I finished first year with a low GPA as well (not a 2.9, but 3.2ish). For the next 3 years, I averaged about a 3.8ish per year. Had a 3.9ish average senior year. My cumulative after 4 years ended up being a 3.7, with a 3.6ish science, which brings me to about average/above average GPA-wise for medical school. If I can do it, you can totally do it.

I did find that my problem was due to time management. In the end, it just meant studying a lot more, especially evenings and weekends. Unfortunately, being in a fraternity will definitely hinder your progress. If you can fix it up, you will be fine OP. Best of luck!

For the next 3 years, I averaged about a 3.8ish per year. Had a 3.9ish average senior year.

Important to keep in mind that senior year isn't factored into primary apps traditionally speaking. OP would be looking at a 3.65 cGPA with a 4.0 over the next two years. a 3.5 over the next two years would land him at 3.32 cGPA. <-- All assuming same # of credit hrs, obviously he could bring it up more if he overloaded.

As Heplayer92 said, MD is still possible, but you need to make school the meaning of your existence from the time you get up until you go to sleep every day for the next two years. And that's really tough to do.

Either that or crank out a 40 on the MCAT. Then you might end up getting in somewhere with a 3.0 I suppose...

currently a sophomore might lose scholarship if i don't pull my GPA above a 3

2.97 cGPA
2.94 sGPA

heavily involved in HIV research at my university med school
plan to pledge a fraternity fall 2015
volunteer and shadow during winter/ senior year

what do?
raise your cumulative and science GPA's > 3.0, score a 27 MCAT, and you should be able to get into a DO school somewhere once you apply.

Reactions: 1 user