My grades for Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaka23h

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas schools applicant

Well anyways here are my overall grades.

MCAT 35R 12/11/12 PS/V/BS
GPA 3.63 overall BCPM 3.45 with Pluses counting 3.35 without it. :(

on a side note does statistics count as a math class? I made a A in Bio statistics that I did not count towards my BCPM.

Do I need to think about applying next year to raise my GPA even more? (I'm taking Biochem + human Physiology in the spring, I know I can pull off an A in hphys but I'm pretty worried about biochem because it is pretty difficult at my school.

I heard that East Asians have to have really good grades to be competitive so I think I'm at a disadvantage here lol.. My parents immigrated to the States from China when I was 10.

I started college pretty rough having never applied myself in high school. Both my great grandmother and my grandmother passed away the 2nd semester of my freshman year, I didn't really focus too much on school that semester and barely made a 3.0. I made a C in calculus II and C in Bio 1 freshman year overall GPA 3.3 ish. Sophomore year I made a 3.6 and a 3.7 (I retook bio 1 (A) and I got B/ B+ in physics and A in bio2. This year, Junior year My GPA was a 4.0 and a 3.88. I made A s in Ochem 1 and 2, Genetics, and an upper level biology/comparative anatomy class and analytical chemistry lab this year.
I kind of regret testing out of my foreign language (Chinese) because that would probably have brought up my overall GPA quite a bit it counts 14 credits at my school.

I'm in an honors liberal arts program at my school. GPA in this 3.7
I have volunteered in a hospital ever since high school and I shadowed ER physicians 3 times a week for a month during the summer of my freshman year.
I was an officer is American Chemistry Society at my school's chapter
I went on a trip to China summer of my sophomore year and visited clinics there; I mainly interacted with patients that could not afford quality hospital care.
I'm a member of AMSA at my school
Also a member of another pre-med society.
I'm Shadowing in one of the biggest hospitals in Dallas this summer.
I applied to summer internships at various places but didn't get in lol :(
I know my extra curricular activities are not that impressive so this might hurt me even more than my GPA?

I have 4 LORs from science Profs and I'm going to get more for my organics Profs. I know these will be decent because I was ranked pretty high in those classes.

What kind of chances do I have at Texas schools? I am an instate applicant. Also do you guys recommend for me to apply to other out of state schools? If so which? My parents are not very wealthy and my bank account is pretty much depleted lol. I don't really care about which school in Texas, (although southwestern would be a dream because it's so close to home), medical school is medical school to me and I believe that I will be able to get the quality education that I need from any of the Texas schools

Thanks for all your reviews.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
any advice is appreciate it :)

thanks

dude - this post is a waste of time. you're more than fine. you'll get multiple interviews, and as long as you don't do something off the wall like forget to wear any pants to your interviews, you'll be going to medical school somewhere in texas.

so don't worry about it. best of luck. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to get into some Texas school for sure. I don't know how much they will look at your GPA as a negative sign since there is a definite upwards trend. If you are able to address your low GPA at the beginning of college in your PS then you should be fine. Your balanced MCAT is the real reason that you are saved and have a good chance at the competitive TX schools.

Maybe it's just me but I always assumed Texas was an easy state to get into especially if you were Texan. Not like Cali or NY. Or worse, Canadian.

Maybe it's just me but I always assumed Texas was an easy state to get into especially if you were Texan. Not like Cali or NY. Or worse, Canadian.

Exactly Paradoc... TX is a really good state to be a resident of.

Are you Plan II at UT?

If so, then you'll probably be able to pick and choose.