My grades suck, what can I do to improve my chances of getting into Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabepharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new to this site, and I need some SERIOUS advice. I just graduated with my B.S in biology, with a 3.09 Cumulative GPA. I want to get into pharmacy school, but it seems like every single school wants a 3.3 and above. I have Pharm experience, good recs, and *as I was told* good communication skills. I already re-took some classes to improve my math and science GPA, but I don't think it will help much, esp if the schools are going to average it out.
What are my chances of getting in with a 3.0? Does anyone know? I am from Cali, but i am considering of taking the PCAT to apply to more out of state schools. However, I am afraid of doing bad. If I do bad, and it gets posted on PharmCas, will the school that don't require it count it against me?

Please Help. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

If I would you I would use the search function and put in grades. There are many posts on this same subject. While grades are very important you seem to have the other aspects down, such as experience and recommendations. A lot of us here are in the same boat as you. I would recommend taking more courses to raise your GPA. I think the admission committees would look positivily if you took some upper level science courses that are not in the pre-req requirements. Anyway do a search on this subject and you will find a lot of info. Good luck.

Cdiddy

wannabepharm said:
Hey everyone,
I am new to this site, and I need some SERIOUS advice. I just graduated with my B.S in biology, with a 3.09 Cumulative GPA. I want to get into pharmacy school, but it seems like every single school wants a 3.3 and above. I have Pharm experience, good recs, and *as I was told* good communication skills. I already re-took some classes to improve my math and science GPA, but I don't think it will help much, esp if the schools are going to average it out.
What are my chances of getting in with a 3.0? Does anyone know? I am from Cali, but i am considering of taking the PCAT to apply to more out of state schools. However, I am afraid of doing bad. If I do bad, and it gets posted on PharmCas, will the school that don't require it count it against me?

Please Help. :scared:

Believe me, a 3.0 is doable. If you feel that your GPA is low, early application is definitely in your favor. I would take the PCAT to increase the amount of schools to which you can apply. You have a B.S., which is a bonus. When applying to out-of-state schools, public schools aren't impossible, but private schools don't have to accept a certain amount of in-state students. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree that your stats are not really horrible and you can work with them. You said you have pharm experience so that is definetely a plus. Continue with the experience, get involved in anything you can, and work on a good personal statement and you still have a decent chance. Your degree will also be a plus as well.

hey wannabe, I'm in the same boat you're in, so don't fret (because i am too :eek: ). Try to take a deep breath and focus on your apps.

I graduated also with a Biochem degree, and I'm also wondering what my chances are to get into a pharm school in cali. it's nerve-racking when you look at the aacp booklets, and keep being reminded the "standard" is 3.3+. I did plenty of volunteer work (at clinic, hospitals, and pharmacy 1000+hrs), but still i'm fearing the admissions committee will look solely on grades. And of course, i see the pcat the way you do-if you don't well, the admissions will surely have a reason to deny you! so yeah, i'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, just make sure you get those apps done. Meanwhile, try to find a job that might impress or show the committee you really wanna pursue a career in pharm. Anyway, if i didn't offer any great advice, i hope i at least put you a little more at ease. :thumbup: :D

Thanks guys. Everyone here is awesome! :) I am feeling a lot better. Still a little worry about doing all the apps, but feeling a lot better. Thank you.

I need some advice on what schools I should apply to. I so far applied to New mexico, hawaii, oregon, and western (in cali). I was also planning to apply to washington state, northeastern (boston), worchester, colorado, and lecom. Since my fear of taking the PCAT took over, I decided to apply to schools that don't require it. IS that so smart? with a 3.0 GPA and getting an F on ochem the first time, ( but with good experience in pharmacy) do I have any chances at those schools? or am I picking the wrong schools to apply to. Any suggestions? I desperately need help. :idea: Please help!

You shouldn't be scared of the PCAT. You should try taking it and if you can do really well on it, hopefully it will be another good stat to help you get in. It's really not that hard, you just need to prepare a little for it.

It's the sad truth, but I think a you can get in with a 3.0 only if you're a URM (Underrepresented minority). I've witnessed this.

DrPharm said:
It's the sad truth, but I think a you can get in with a 3.0 only if you're a URM (Underrepresented minority). I've witnessed this.

Perhaps at ONE school you've witnessed this, but you can't vouch for all schools by making this generalization. There are some schools who's average incoming GPA is 3.2 - 3.4, and if by average they mean "the mean GPA," then obviously there were some that fell below 3.0. I'd be willing to wager that they all aren't "underrepresented."

You just need to ace the PCAT. Do not take it til you are ready. Give yourself a good chance and study your heart out. The test really isn't that bad. If things do not work out you could always apply to medical school!

Deleted.

Last edited: