My hands (as to become a surgeon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Harsh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks.

I have hands with a little bit of bone damage (on the fingers and near/at the elbow), and my hands are kinda shaky and I regret cracking my fingers a lot and being foolish enough to damage my hands (no, not in a car accident or something) as an adolescent. I hold a pen on its tip and I find that it it shakes pretty badly (around 1-2 cm.)

So I want to know whether can I be a surgeon or not? I am currently final year pre-med. It would decide my career, whether should I be a doctor or become a police officer. I am interested in surgery (mostly anatomy and physiology.)

Members don't see this ad.

How terrible is your tremor?
I have mild essential tremor, but a orthopaedic surgeon. I guess orthopaedic is the best field for someone with tremor who is interested in working in OR room. (I can do sutures in emergency room, but need b-blocker on operating day. I can perform even microsurgery with b-blocker. I want someone in similar situation who can encourage each other. Don't you think it's great that a surgeon can operate successfully even with mediaction? I don't want you give up your carrier.)

Regards,

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you're Dr. Strange, sorry couldn't resist.
In all seriousness, have you shadowed a surgeon? Seems like police officer vs surgeon are quite different routes, esp since you're already in your final year of pre-med.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would make sure that you are at least open to nonsurgical specialties prior to deciding to become a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello folks.

I have hands with a little bit of bone damage (on the fingers and near/at the elbow), and my hands are kinda shaky and I regret cracking my fingers a lot and being foolish enough to damage my hands (no, not in a car accident or something) as an adolescent. I hold a pen on its tip and I find that it it shakes pretty badly (around 1-2 cm.)

So I want to know whether can I be a surgeon or not? I am currently final year pre-med. It would decide my career, whether should I be a doctor or become a police officer. I am interested in surgery (mostly anatomy and physiology.)
First, get into med school, and then worry about specialties.

Reactions: 8 users
To goro's point and to tie in with govols22, make sure that you pursue medicine with an open mind. Going in with a job in mind that you know basically nothing about is probably not the best plan. If you end up hating what surgery is in real life you will be a very unhappy, very indebted fourth year with no idea what to do about it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Having an open mind is SDN mantra, but man, is it difficult when you happen to get that one Ph.D. interviewer who won't take the "I am open minded and flexible. I know that many applicants have a preconception when applying, and that many change their minds when they start rotations in their 3rd year..." answer.

He kept on asking and waiting for me to name the field(s) of medicine I wanted to practice before he would move on.

Reactions: 1 user
He kept on asking and waiting for me to name the field(s) of medicine I wanted to practice before he would move on.
Sounds to me he was testing to make sure you knew what the fields were :shrug:

How terrible is your tremor?
I have mild essential tremor, but a orthopaedic surgeon. I guess orthopaedic is the best field for someone with tremor who is interested in working in OR room. (I can do sutures in emergency room, but need b-blocker on operating day. I can perform even microsurgery with b-blocker. I want someone in similar situation who can encourage each other. Don't you think it's great that a surgeon can operate successfully even with mediaction? I don't want you give up your carrier.)

Regards,
Thanks for your kind attention.
My tremor isn't quite bad, I have held a scalpel in my hands and it doesn't shake (actually, it is pretty steady.) at all. I am worried about my fingers which are a little bit damaged.

I am quite interested in bones (Zoology first year notes which I still have kept, and here in our country, there are only two years of pre-med) especially arms (and especially adolescents or young adults who want to be a surgeon. Yes, I want to help the will-be healers.) So I think orthopedic surgery isn't quite out of my interests. Do you feel sleepy/about-to-go-into-a-cardiac-arrest feeling while on d/b-blockers? I know it's quite early to ask.

Sounds like you're Dr. Strange, sorry couldn't resist.
In all seriousness, have you shadowed a surgeon? Seems like police officer vs surgeon are quite different routes, esp since you're already in your final year of pre-med.
Yes, of course. And even if nobody else calls me Doctor Strange currently (including myself), I want (actually SHALL) become Doctor Strange. Everything before the car accident, of course.

Ok; enough.
I do visit an ophthalmologist and he is a very, very nice person. Actually, I believe he might be the kindest man I know. He smiles at his patients, he shakes hands (lightly) with them. He is a very talented and kind person. I haven't seen him in the OR though.

I want to know whether I can be an excellent surgeon or become a police officer. Either way, I want to serve people.

I would make sure that you are at least open to nonsurgical specialties prior to deciding to become a doctor.
Yes, of course. I am quite interested (keep in mind my zoology syllabus) in the nervous system. But I don't want to see my patients dying due to brain tumor, stroke, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. I want to see them (almost, almost) cured of their main condition. I know it isn't realistic in many cases, but surgeons are supposed to treat conditions which cannot be helped by drugs.

First, get into med school, and then worry about specialties.

I have to decide my specialty (how much I like the most) before I enter med school. It's like med school vs law school. So my ultimate dream is to become a surgeon (yes I do have some exposure in anatomy.)

To goro's point and to tie in with govols22, make sure that you pursue medicine with an open mind. Going in with a job in mind that you know basically nothing about is probably not the best plan. If you end up hating what surgery is in real life you will be a very unhappy, very indebted fourth year with no idea what to do about it.

I, a science student, am actually quite interested in anatomy (especially neuroanatomy) and am quite sure that no one likes to cut people.
It's not that surgeons cut for "fun", but they do it so the patient gets better. Being interested in anatomy and surgical techniques are the contributory factors to be a surgeon. I am pretty sure nobody enjoys cutting blood vessels. But yes, I know you get the thrill like in the ER.
Psychiatry and neurology, internal medicine, etc. are quite of my interests (vaguely speaking. I do have some ebooks + the zoology exposure.)

Having an open mind is SDN mantra, but man, is it difficult when you happen to get that one Ph.D. interviewer who won't take the "I am open minded and flexible. I know that many applicants have a preconception when applying, and that many change their minds when they start rotations in their 3rd year..." answer.

Wait wait, for your pre-med admission? Man, that's crazy.

Sounds to me he was testing to make sure you knew what the fields were :shrug:
Perhaps.

Have you actually shadowed a surgeon? Do you know what a surgeon's day is like? Do you realize how hard it is to get into surgery?

I have to decide my specialty (how much I like the most) before I enter med school. It's like med school vs law school. So my ultimate dream is to become a surgeon (yes I do have some exposure in anatomy.)

Have you actually shadowed a surgeon? Do you know what a surgeon's day is like? Do you realize how hard it is to get into surgery?

"Have you actually shadowed a surgeon?" / "Do you know what a surgeon's day is like?"

Actually I visit an ophthalmologist and I have some idea how ophthalmic check-ups are (being a patient.) And I have watched videos on surgery on Facebook. I think there was a surgery CR page where there were reliable/interesting videos on surgery. Then again, some animations over Dr.Bone.
On YouTube, I watched Dr.Pradip Mohanta, Dr.Vikas Sharma, [URL='https://www.youtube.com/user/DocBrianKimMD']D. Brian Kim MD,[/URL] Dr.Stegen G Safran, etc. And yes, I am most interested in ophthalmology but I don't quite yet understand ophthalmic literature (I have downloaded some RELIABLE books on it to see if it is really my passion. As for the videos, I just cannot understand the level of excitement and thrill I'd get while operating on people's eyes. To save their eyesight.)

"Do you realize how hard it is to get into surgery."

Yes I have a vague idea how hard it is to get into med school first place. I know it'd be hard to become a surgeon and even harder to be an excellent one. But still I have my hopes and my dreams. I believe if one does his best, he could become the best.

"Have you actually shadowed a surgeon?" / "Do you know what a surgeon's day is like?"

Actually I visit an ophthalmologist and I have some idea how ophthalmic check-ups are (being a patient.) And I have watched videos on surgery on Facebook. I think there was a surgery CR page where there were reliable/interesting videos on surgery. Then again, some animations over Dr.Bone.
On YouTube, I watched Dr.Pradip Mohanta, Dr.Vikas Sharma, D. Brian Kim MD, Dr.Stegen G Safran, etc. And yes, I am most interested in ophthalmology but I don't quite yet understand ophthalmic literature (I have downloaded some RELIABLE books on it to see if it is really my passion. As for the videos, I just cannot understand the level of excitement and thrill I'd get while operating on people's eyes. To save their eyesight.)

"Do you realize how hard it is to get into surgery."

Yes I have a vague idea how hard it is to get into med school first place. I know it'd be hard to become a surgeon and even harder to be an excellent one. But still I have my hopes and my dreams. I believe if one does his best, he could become the best.
I recommend shadowing over Youtube videos of operations. I don't think just watching videos of operations can give you a good enough idea of what a surgeon's day is like.

Reactions: 2 users
The mcat and step exams kill more surgical careers than tremors do

Reactions: 4 users
I recommend shadowing over Youtube videos of operations. I don't think just watching videos of operations can give you a good enough idea of what a surgeon's day is like.
I don't think it's legal here to enter in OR without written permission for patients.

The mcat and step exams kill more surgical careers than tremors do
But if I were to get admission in a medical college (both as a graduate and post-graduate) it wouldn't matter much. But tremors on the other hand are more of concern. I am not worried about the UG/PG entrance exam.

But if I were to get admission in a medical college (both as a graduate and post-graduate) it wouldn't matter much. But tremors on the other hand are more of concern. I am not worried about the UG/PG entrance exam.

There are a lot of people who aren't surgeons now who said that years ago. But you do you

I don't think it's legal here to enter in OR without written permission for patients.

Where is here? Certainly happens commonly where I am, but then again a consent form likely includes the presence of the surgeons, staff, residents, students, etc.

Where is here? Certainly happens commonly where I am, but then again a consent form likely includes the presence of the surgeons, staff, residents, students, etc.

In India (I didn't mention my country so this thread wouldn't get moved to International forums.)
Surgeons here are not THAT comfortable with a pre-med student in the OR.

It's not enough to just watch videos on youtube. You need to get a sense for what a surgeons day is typically like. That includes OR, Office hours, how many patients they see in a day, rounds, and maybe most important just the number of hours per week a surgeon works. If you have ANY opportunity to shadow take it. If you're not sure, find out. If you need consent from patients, then get it. And if you have any doubt that you want to be a surgeon then just join the police. Seems like a fine career to me.

Cmon man this is the rest of your life we're talking about here.

It's not enough to just watch videos on youtube. You need to get a sense for what a surgeons day is typically like. That includes OR, Office hours, how many patients they see in a day, rounds, and maybe most important just the number of hours per week a surgeon works. If you have ANY opportunity to shadow take it. If you're not sure, find out. If you need consent from patients, then get it. And if you have any doubt that you want to be a surgeon then just join the police. Seems like a fine career to me.

Cmon man this is the rest of your life we're talking about here.
I understand. My doctors want me to become a doctor while my relatives want me to be a police officer. I have interest in both careers. I have shaky hands and a little bit of cognitive impairment. So I doubt I could be a successful surgeon.

To be a police officer here (a top-ranking one) you need to complete graduation first. While in med school you graduate as an MBBS. So if I don't get selected in the Police Force, I will have to end up begging (considering I can't be a surgeon after completing my graduation.)