My interview at FAU IM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nesoguitar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally saw FAU (Florida Atlantic University) yesterday, this interview season has been very busy for me and I didn’t write a review about any of the programs that I interviewed in. But since I couldn’t find any review of FAU IM residency, I decide to give you an idea about the program.
So I flew from Chicago (the windy city) and it was -17 F and I am wearing my usual 4 layers with my nice grey wool coat on top. And as I come out of Fort Lauderdale airport doors, I feel this warm air hitting my face and in my head I said “ohh, this must be heaven”. It was 74F out there; a weather shock was just an awesome start for my day…. Anyways I am down to one shirt now, which feels pretty “freshy” after a tough winter at the windy city. So my plane got in at 2pm the day before my interview so I rented a car and drove to the campus. Well this is a brand new residency program so they held the interview at the medical school itself instead of the hospital. So I wanted to go and see the campus and well, I had enough time to explore the neighborhood as well. The campus is newly built with all kinds of facilities… a nice soccer field (I love soccer), football stadium, baseball stadium, gym… you name it. You will see college kids running all around which made me enjoy feeling a senior again. Neighborhood is basically fancy restaurants and of course the FAU student housing.
On my way to the hotel I found the coolest Italian restaurant and they had “real” Italian people speaking Italian. Well I knew it was Italian because I know some Spanish and it didn’t sound familiar, plus every other word ended with “ino” or “ito”. Okay, Enough about experience in this beautiful tropical city.. On to business....

The day started out with Dr. bernardo Obeso the PD giving us a presentation that answered everything you wanted to know about the program. He was very enthusiastic about starting this residency program and gave us an energetic speech that made us want to unquestionably sign the contract and start working for him to build this program. He is very charismatic which made me even more motivated to join the program after his speech. He brilliantly addressed the worries of having no senior residents and was very honest and realistic.
Then it was the time for the individual interviews. It was more of a conversation than anything else. They read through the file already and wanted to know me as a person. All of them have a good record on education before, some of them were already PDs somewhere else .

Then it was time for the tour. We were accompanied by the program coordinator. She is super nice and brilliant. She wanted to tell us everything she knows about the hospitals. Although she does this tour 3times a week for the last 3month, she was very effective in giving us a lot of information about the hospitals. She made sure to engage everyone in the conversation so that everyone feels welcomed which is a plus for her. She was not just doing her job as a coordinator (trust me, I've seen many coordinators who don't give a heck) but she was really welcoming us in every way possible.

We started with the cancer institute, which is newly built, loaded with all kinds of technology out there. Some of the machines are only found in one or two places in all US. I was inspired by the “wall of hope” which is a wall that is full of drawings were done by healed cancer patient. Then we saw the cardiac institute, which is, attached to the main hospital. They do have a post cardiac rehab unit for patient who need to be monitored but don’t qualify to be kept at the main hospital. We also talked about the neuroscience institute, and let me tell you, they are so proud of it. It will open in march and they say it will be another state of art.
Simulation Center…. This was awesome. They have manikins who can pretty much die and rise again. They program it to whatever they can imagine.. Different cardiac arrests, pneumonia, tension pneumothorax.. “you name it, they make it”. They also have manikins to train students on genital and breast exams, are those really good?... I don’t know…Then at the end of the day we had lunch and a closing speech by the PD.

My overall impression:

Pros:
1- It’s a brand new program & affiliated with University of Miami, they want to make a name for themselves. Do they have what it takes? They already made a good name for the hospitals ( Boca Raton is Top ranked by many magazines). Many older experienced physicians are already there because they want to eventually retire in florida area.
2- Funding, Funding, Funding… They do have a lot of donations man. You will see names of pple who donated everywhere; even the elevator was donated by some rich guy. They are constantly building new centers, buying the latest technology although it’s actually a community hospital.
3- Faculty that have this drill down to a science, you will be trained by attendings who been doing this for long time. Everyone who interviewed me had a very thick C.V and most of them been teaching for more than 15years.
4- No graduation in this place ! which means that if your learning curve is faster than someone else’s, your level of autonomy can be earned more quickly and is not based on your PGY level alone.
5- Simulation center that is open for residents and med students to learn techniques and procedures whenever they need.

6- A Big Cancer institute, and Cardiac center… which is a big deal for me because I am thinking about Heme/onc fellowship. Will they open a heme/onc fellowship at FAU? Probably not in the next 3-5years but it’s a very solid center that can make you ready for big named fellowships.
7- Floridaaaaa… I am from Egypt man and I don’t appreciate the -25 F here in Chicago. I can take a vacation for skiing every once in a while but not to live in the windy city.
8- No calls, No night float. There is a 1 month of night medicine ( which I don’t know how that really works)

Cons:
1- At the tour we didn't see the medical floor,they showed us all the highlighted buildings but I think it would be even better if we saw the medical floors just to get an idea how the hospital looks like.
2- NO reputation. which could be an issue for those who want to get big names on their CV. For me, I am a FMG who would work my a** off to make a name for my self so FAU is a very good place to do that since they have tools to allow you to do that.
3- NO SENIOR RESIDENTS… some may say it's a pro,some may say it's a con. I now think it's bad side is bigger than it's good side though.

Reasons NOT to come to FAU (God I feel I am doing something wrong when I say that):
1- Don’t come If you are not a social person. Everyone there is like one family. They are all excited about this program.
2- Don’t come If you are not a hard worker with a positive attitude. They need “energetic” residents to give them ideas to build a strong residency program. So if you are going to bi**h and put the responsibility on others, then don’t come.
3- Don’t come if you can’t handle NOT having a big name on your C.V. for the next 5years. Don’t get me wrong, It’s a university program and everything, but has no reputations YET. So if you don’t want to share in building the history of this program then this isn’t for you.
4- Don’t come here if you already made your rank list and doing the interview just for a safety net (I certainly didn't come for this reason, but it is honestly the reason I visited some programs). You could find yourself falling for this place, and it will totally ruin all the hard work you put into your ROL!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you getting paid to write this? No offense--but it is your first post and your positives and negatives are extremely biased.

Reactions: 4 users
I lost my account on this forum, but yea my review may be biased ...

Members don't see this ad :)
4- NO SENIOR RESIDENTS… think about it, you are hand on hand with the attending. How awesome is that. You are not trained by a resident who is worried about covering his a*s too… I mean, Sign me up for this reason only.

Very poor logic hear. As an intern, it is good senior residents that you learn from the most and not attendings.

but it’s a very solid center that can make you ready for big named fellowships

Let me know how that one goes

Reactions: 1 users
I lost my account on this forum, but yea my review may be biased ...
I am going to give you a pass thinking that you genuinely enjoyed your day at FAU and the above review reflects that (i.e. you did not have any financial incentives for writing the review). Here is the fellowship app. rule #1:
1. If you want a top fellowship, go to a program that has a strong track record of matching graduates to top fellowships.

1. If you want a top fellowship, go to a program that has a strong track record of matching graduates to top fellowships.

You're right. But they are willing to help with their connections, I've seen community hospital grads who got accepted in good places here in chicago.

8- No calls, No night float. Yes… the hospital has been running without residents, so they basically don’t really need you.

There is a huge difference between hospitals where the residents run the show (with attending input) versus where they follow attendings around and glean wisdom. The latter is a very difficult place to learn, even if you are motivated. Also, I agree that seniors teaching juniors is much better. That said, if you like warm weather and can't get UF, U Miami, Shands Jax, Mayo Jax, or USF, it sounds like a good choice!

This post is a joke.

I enjoyed reading this post. Not sure if real

lol. I also interviewed there and let me give a more centered review:

Pros: everyone was very enthusiastic since it's a "new program" (The truth is, it actually used to be University of Miami's Boca Raton campus, and they became an independent facility with FAU now..even some of the staff is from University of Miami and they just stayed); university based; great hospitals (the OP is right about the funding they receive...it was unreal); beautiful area; PD and PC very helpful

Cons: fellowship placement will be unknown until the first class graduates; quality of teaching will be unknown for now (however their 3rd and 4th year medical students have been doing their clinical rotations there); their medical school just opened in 2011 i think, so their first class will graduate in 2015.

As a side note, I believe they said FM, EM, Surgery, Peds, psych, ob gyn, neuro are all starting 2015 onwards.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That said, if you like warm weather and can't get UF, U Miami, Shands Jax, Mayo Jax, or USF, it sounds like a good choice!

I LOVE the warm weather and this is the only interview I got in florida, So location plays a big role here.

There is a huge difference between hospitals where the residents run the show (with attending input) versus where they follow attendings around and glean wisdom.

I don't think that residents will just follow the attendings, the PD was saying that an evaluation will be done before the start of residency and that will determine the level of autonomy ( I guess that's what they started to do in all residencies, correct me if I am wrong). I hope that's not the case though, otherwise it will be a program full of monkeys :)

You're right. But they are willing to help with their connections, I've seen community hospital grads who got accepted in good places here in chicago.

You understand that a name takes decades to establish in medicine, right? I know you love warm weather, but man if you want to do Heme-Onc (or anything other than primary care), seriously consider going somewhere else. A brand new program means your opportunities, if any, are going to be extremely limited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE the warm weather and this is the only interview I got in florida, So location plays a big role here.

Are you a foreign medical grad who just happens to be rotating at some of the community hospitals in Chicago?

I can't imagine (actually it is unfathomable) that an MD student from any of the Chicago meds schools would only get an interview at a start up place and none of the others. Unless there were some major, major red flags. That said, I assume you are an FMG.

I got other interviews at different states ( mainly chicago, NY, MI, NJ) but nothing in FL. I am FMG but with good scores and USCE.

So are you going to rank FAU #1?

yea. other programs are community-university affiliated that can only secure 3 spots of fellowships for their grads at their affiliated hospitals... some of them with good reputations though.. what you think?

For someone who is interested in hemonc, I gotta say you're not making a very wise decision. I still can't take this post seriously enough to say more than that.

sorry guy, but if you really want Hem/Onc…you really should go somewhere that has a fellowship in place…esp as an FMG (good scores and all)…

Hem/Onc is more and more competitive every year and research is so important for Hem/Onc…you need to really think about the opportunities you will or won't have at a new program.

How has this post not been deleted/flagged as spam?

If you want to advertise on SDN you can buy a banner ad

Because it's hilarious? I for one have enjoyed reading it.

I still don't get why you think I would advertise for a program? residencies are competitive enough to NOT worry about advertising... if you don't agree with what I say then discuss your points like all other users...

I still don't get why you think I would advertise for a program? residencies are competitive enough to NOT worry about advertising... if you don't agree with what I say then discuss your points like all other users...

Um, no. Maybe for an IMG, but not American grads, who have actual choices.

I finally saw FAU (Florida Atlantic University) yesterday, this interview season has been very busy for me and I didn’t write a review about any of the programs that I interviewed in. But since I couldn’t find any review of FAU IM residency, I decide to give you an idea about the program.
So I flew from Chicago (the windy city) and it was -17 F and I am wearing my usual 4 layers with my nice grey wool coat on top. And as I come out of Fort Lauderdale airport doors, I feel this warm air hitting my face and in my head I said “ohh, this must be heaven”. It was 74F out there; a weather shock was just an awesome start for my day…. Anyways I am down to one shirt now, which feels pretty “freshy” after a tough winter at the windy city. So my plane got in at 2pm the day before my interview so I rented a car and drove to the campus. Well this is a brand new residency program so they held the interview at the medical school itself instead of the hospital. So I wanted to go and see the campus and well, I had enough time to explore the neighborhood as well. The campus is newly built with all kinds of facilities… a nice soccer field (I love soccer), football stadium, baseball stadium, gym… you name it. You will see college kids running all around which made me enjoy feeling a senior again. Neighborhood is basically fancy restaurants and of course the FAU student housing.
On my way to the hotel I found the coolest Italian restaurant and they had “real” Italian people speaking Italian. Well I knew it was Italian because I know some Spanish and it didn’t sound familiar, plus every other word ended with “ino” or “ito”. Okay, Enough about experience in this beautiful tropical city.. On to business....

The day started out with Dr. bernardo Obeso the PD giving us a presentation that answered everything you wanted to know about the program. He was very enthusiastic about starting this residency program and gave us an energetic speech that made us want to unquestionably sign the contract and start working for him to build this program. He is very charismatic which made me even more motivated to join the program after his speech. He brilliantly addressed the worries of having no senior residents and was very honest and realistic.
Then it was the time for the individual interviews. It was more of a conversation than anything else. They read through the file already and wanted to know me as a person. All of them have a good record on education before, some of them were already PDs somewhere else .

Then it was time for the tour. We were accompanied by the program coordinator. She is super nice and brilliant. She wanted to tell us everything she knows about the hospitals. Although she does this tour 3times a week for the last 3month, she was very effective in giving us a lot of information about the hospitals. She made sure to engage everyone in the conversation so that everyone feels welcomed which is a plus for her. She was not just doing her job as a coordinator (trust me, I've seen many coordinators who don't give a heck) but she was really welcoming us in every way possible.

We started with the cancer institute, which is newly built, loaded with all kinds of technology out there. Some of the machines are only found in one or two places in all US. I was inspired by the “wall of hope” which is a wall that is full of drawings were done by healed cancer patient. Then we saw the cardiac institute, which is, attached to the main hospital. They do have a post cardiac rehab unit for patient who need to be monitored but don’t qualify to be kept at the main hospital. We also talked about the neuroscience institute, and let me tell you, they are so proud of it. It will open in march and they say it will be another state of art.
Simulation Center…. This was awesome. They have manikins who can pretty much die and rise again. They program it to whatever they can imagine.. Different cardiac arrests, pneumonia, tension pneumothorax.. “you name it, they make it”. They also have manikins to train students on genital and breast exams, are those really good?... I don’t know…Then at the end of the day we had lunch and a closing speech by the PD.

My overall impression:

Pros:
1- It’s a brand new program & affiliated with University of Miami, they want to make a name for themselves. Do they have what it takes? They already made a good name for the hospitals ( Boca Raton is Top ranked by many magazines). Many older experienced physicians are already there because they want to eventually retire in florida area.
2- Funding, Funding, Funding… They do have a lot of donations man. You will see names of pple who donated everywhere; even the elevator was donated by some rich guy. They are constantly building new centers, buying the latest technology although it’s actually a community hospital.
3- Faculty that have this drill down to a science, you will be trained by attendings who been doing this for long time. Everyone who interviewed me had a very thick C.V and most of them been teaching for more than 15years.
4- No graduation in this place ! which means that if your learning curve is faster than someone else’s, your level of autonomy can be earned more quickly and is not based on your PGY level alone.
5- Simulation center that is open for residents and med students to learn techniques and procedures whenever they need.

6- A Big Cancer institute, and Cardiac center… which is a big deal for me because I am thinking about Heme/onc fellowship. Will they open a heme/onc fellowship at FAU? Probably not in the next 3-5years but it’s a very solid center that can make you ready for big named fellowships.
7- Floridaaaaa… I am from Egypt man and I don’t appreciate the -25 F here in Chicago. I can take a vacation for skiing every once in a while but not to live in the windy city.
8- No calls, No night float. There is a 1 month of night medicine ( which I don’t know how that really works)

Cons:
1- At the tour we didn't see the medical floor, they showed us all the highlighted buildings but I think it would be even better if we saw the medical floors just to get an idea how the hospital looks like.
2- NO reputation. which could be an issue for those who want to get big names on their CV. For me, I am a FMG who would work my a** off to make a name for my self so FAU is a very good place to do that since they have tools to allow you to do that.
3- NO SENIOR RESIDENTS… some may say it's a pro,some may say it's a con. I now think it's bad side is bigger than it's good side though.

Reasons NOT to come to FAU (God I feel I am doing something wrong when I say that):
1- Don’t come If you are not a social person. Everyone there is like one family. They are all excited about this program.
2- Don’t come If you are not a hard worker with a positive attitude. They need “energetic” residents to give them ideas to build a strong residency program. So if you are going to bi**h and put the responsibility on others, then don’t come.
3- Don’t come if you can’t handle NOT having a big name on your C.V. for the next 5years. Don’t get me wrong, It’s a university program and everything, but has no reputations YET. So if you don’t want to share in building the history of this program then this isn’t for you.
4- Don’t come here if you already made your rank list and doing the interview just for a safety net (I certainly didn't come for this reason, but it is honestly the reason I visited some programs). You could find yourself falling for this place, and it will totally ruin all the hard work you put into your ROL!!!

So much fail and jokes in this post it's not even funny.

I wonder how it worked out for the OP. The entire post is one thinly veiled attempt to brownnose the program and influence his position on the rank list. He calls out the PD by name and showers him with pleasantries and adoration. I can't believe anybody wouldn't see through this. He identifies himself to the program by saying he is an Egyptian from Chicago, and not-so-subtly brags about how hard a worker he is, how social he is, how much he wants to build the program, and how highly he is ranking it. Really? Really?

Reactions: 4 users
It should be someone's job to bump this thread every few weeks or so. I have missed you.

Anybody worried for the safety of the "manikins" in the "Sim Center"? This guy seemed to really have a thing for them... not just platonic, either...

I find it interesting how everyone here agrees that a new program isn't where you want to go...I was given a total beat-down in some other threads for saying the same thing.

That said, a lot of aspects of this program sound sketchy. They give everyone an exam before they get there and 'determine autonomy based on that'? Wtf? No calls/flat means ****ty education. How close is the program located to its affiliated university? If you want to do research from a program like this, it usually means driving to nearby medical schools to work with their researchers...

Just came across this post and wanted to post an update that I received during interviews:

"FAU Fellowship Match: We are pleased to announce an 80% match rate in the national internal medicine subspecialty fellowship matching program. Eight of the 10 PGY-3 residents who applied received offers for subspecialty fellowship.

Cardiology (3) - East Carolina University, University of Tennessee – Chattanooga & JFK/UMiami

Critical Care (2) - University of Massachusetts & Orlando Regional Medical Center

Heme/Onc - Lankenau Medical Center

Hospice/Palliative Care - Mayo Clinic Jacksonville

Pulmonary Medicine - Orlando Regional Medical Center"

Just came across this post and wanted to post an update that I received during interviews:

"FAU Fellowship Match: We are pleased to announce an 80% match rate in the national internal medicine subspecialty fellowship matching program. Eight of the 10 PGY-3 residents who applied received offers for subspecialty fellowship.

Cardiology (3) - East Carolina University, University of Tennessee – Chattanooga & JFK/UMiami

Critical Care (2) - University of Massachusetts & Orlando Regional Medical Center

Heme/Onc - Lankenau Medical Center

Hospice/Palliative Care - Mayo Clinic Jacksonville

Pulmonary Medicine - Orlando Regional Medical Center"
Thanks for updating! I have an interview at FAU coming up. Really had high hopes for it since it's a great location, but I'll definitely pay closer attention to the quality of education and research. But if people are getting into cards and heme-onc, they must be doing something right. It's no longer a super new program like in 2013, so hopefully with these 5-6 years under their belt they'll have solidified their standing.

Thanks for updating! I have an interview at FAU coming up. Really had high hopes for it since it's a great location, but I'll definitely pay closer attention to the quality of education and research. But if people are getting into cards and heme-onc, they must be doing something right. It's no longer a super new program like in 2013, so hopefully with these 5-6 years under their belt they'll have solidified their standing.

Its still a university program Dr. Opout and very close to UMiami so training is training, dont listen to others on here who think anything that isnt an Ivy League is a bad program.

Its still a university program Dr. Opout and very close to UMiami so training is training, dont listen to others on here who think anything that isnt an Ivy League is a bad program.
Yeah I guess everyone has their standard for what constitutes a good program. For me it's anything with solid training that balances education and autonomy, opportunities for competitive fellowships, and doesn't overwork/abuse me to the point of misery. If FAU meets those criteria, I'll happily rank them high*

*above 50 year old community programs with in house fellowships in the north, where I've also gotten invites. I have double digit interviews, which I mention as a reference so people understand that I'm coming from a position of advantage, not desperation, when I say I might rank FAU highly

Um, FAU is a far cry from acting like it's just a matter of Ive League snobbery to have issues there. I interviewed at 24 different places, and they were literally the only one I didn't rank. Too much literal yelling at each other and put downs during AM rounds in front of interviewing med students, who you usually try to impress. It was fairly new then, but the PD was definitely old school East Coast, and took a lot of pride in how the residents were like sharks to each other.

Um, FAU is a far cry from acting like it's just a matter of Ive League snobbery to have issues there. I interviewed at 24 different places, and they were literally the only one I didn't rank. Too much literal yelling at each other and put downs during AM rounds in front of interviewing med students, who you usually try to impress. It was fairly new then, but the PD was definitely old school East Coast, and took a lot of pride in how the residents were like sharks to each other.
Oh wow, that's pretty crazy and not at all a desirable work environment. I genuinely thank you for your insight. It says the current PD was appointed in August 2017, so maybe the culture is different now? In any case, I'll most certainly be watching closely whenever I go for the interview.

I interviewed there as well. No residents showed up for the get-together the night before the interview. The resident that was given us the tour of the hospital did not speak too highly of the program (Not sure why they picked him). FAU is within 25-30 minutes driving distance from where I lived and still ranked them #5.

Recently had my FAU interview. I gotta say, I genuinely liked the program. 100% board passage rate last year, and like 96% the year before. They're planning to add hospice and palliative fellowships next year. Curriculum is evolving and they're very open to change and innovation. For example, they added an academic half day which is essentially 4 hours of protected didactics every Thursday, and the residents say they really enjoy it. 4+1 schedule. Boca Regional has tons of geriatric patients (~70% of case load), but Bethesda has the younger immigrant population, and you work at both hospitals so you get a good mix of pathology. Great facilities. Pre-interview dinner was nice, 3 residents and a chief showed up and answered questions. Culture is non-malignant, residents get along well and support each other in their personal lives. No one is overworked. People are content with their training. PD is open to tailoring your experience for you, like if someone has an interest in hospital administration then he can make allowances to allow you to pursue an elective in that. Research opportunities are there, but you have to make more of an effort to find them than you would at other places. Fellowship match rate is 80-90%, and they'll have the results of this year's fellowship match in a couple weeks.

Cons:
1) No fellowships except cards. This really depends on how you look at it. Like yeah, you can't match pulm/crit at FAU, but the lack of a fellow doing most of the specialty-specific procedures is definitely an opportunity for the resident. Still, it would be nice to have more fellowships in-house and it's something I'd prefer.

2) Lack of standardized exposure between hospitals. So your subspecialty rotation at one hospital may not be nearly as good as at the other. It's mainly due to a difference in attendings and case load, but they're working on standardizing it more.

3) Program reputation. It started in 2014, and while they've made strides since then, it's still "new" and doesn't have much of a reputation. It's not preventing them from getting fellowships though, one guy matched at Hopkins for nephrology last year and another had an interview there this year.

4) Only $15/day meal allowance. Wack. The residents say they make it work though.

5) Budget doesn't always support going to conferences. One guy had a poster presentation somewhere in Cali, and the program only financed part of it, so he had to pay the rest.

Overall, I think it's a solid program that will continue to improve. Everyone has different things they look for in a program. Most people might prefer an older place with more fellowships and a more renowned reputation. For me, it's decent training and research opportunities that prepare me for hospitalist medicine or fellowships, nice/supportive people around me, and a non-depressing location. I think this at least meets those criteria. Hope this helps others.

Reactions: 3 users
Recently had my FAU interview. I gotta say, I genuinely liked the program. 100% board passage rate last year, and like 96% the year before. They're planning to add hospice and palliative fellowships next year. Curriculum is evolving and they're very open to change and innovation. For example, they added an academic half day which is essentially 4 hours of protected didactics every Thursday, and the residents say they really enjoy it. 4+1 schedule. Boca Regional has tons of geriatric patients (~70% of case load), but Bethesda has the younger immigrant population, and you work at both hospitals so you get a good mix of pathology. Great facilities. Pre-interview dinner was nice, 3 residents and a chief showed up and answered questions. Culture is non-malignant, residents get along well and support each other in their personal lives. No one is overworked. People are content with their training. PD is open to tailoring your experience for you, like if someone has an interest in hospital administration then he can make allowances to allow you to pursue an elective in that. Research opportunities are there, but you have to make more of an effort to find them than you would at other places. Fellowship match rate is 80-90%, and they'll have the results of this year's fellowship match in a couple weeks.

Cons:
1) No fellowships except cards. This really depends on how you look at it. Like yeah, you can't match pulm/crit at FAU, but the lack of a fellow doing most of the specialty-specific procedures is definitely an opportunity for the resident. Still, it would be nice to have more fellowships in-house and it's something I'd prefer.

2) Lack of standardized exposure between hospitals. So your subspecialty rotation at one hospital may not be nearly as good as at the other. It's mainly due to a difference in attendings and case load, but they're working on standardizing it more.

3) Program reputation. It started in 2014, and while they've made strides since then, it's still "new" and doesn't have much of a reputation. It's not preventing them from getting fellowships though, one guy matched at Hopkins for nephrology last year and another had an interview there this year.

4) Only $15/day meal allowance. Wack. The residents say they make it work though.

5) Budget doesn't always support going to conferences. One guy had a poster presentation somewhere in Cali, and the program only financed part of it, so he had to pay the rest.

Overall, I think it's a solid program that will continue to improve. Everyone has different things they look for in a program. Most people might prefer an older place with more fellowships and a more renowned reputation. For me, it's decent training and research opportunities that prepare me for hospitalist medicine or fellowships, nice/supportive people around me, and a non-depressing location. I think this at least meets those criteria. Hope this helps others.

Just a point. The nephrology match should not be considered impressive - it takes a pulse to match in the field nowadays and most spots go unfilled.

Only? We got $6/d that we were on call. That's it other than lunch at noon conference.
Haha sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. A few other places I've interviewed offered free food to residents any time they were working or like $30/day, so that's all I had to compare it to.
Just a point. The nephrology match should not be considered impressive - it takes a pulse to match in the field nowadays and most spots go unfilled.
That's fair. But if you're genuinely interested in nephrology, it's cool to be able to pursue it at a place like Hopkins, especially coming from a program that's only 4 years old. They're also matching cards and heme-onc so their success isn't exclusive to non-competitive fellowships, which I think would be most people's concern.

Haha sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. A few other places I've interviewed offered free food to residents any time they were working or like $30/day, so that's all I had to compare it to.

That's fair. But if you're genuinely interested in nephrology, it's cool to be able to pursue it at a place like Hopkins, especially coming from a program that's only 4 years old. They're also matching cards and heme-onc so their success isn't exclusive to non-competitive fellowships, which I think would be most people's concern.

The cards match is decent (Miami and ECU are quite good... Blase Carabello is at ECU and it’s surprisingly underrated) but the rest is meh. I expect if it ends up being a decent program it will improve even more.

As a recent graduate of this program I can definitely say this is not a malignant program. To the poster who had a bad experience during morning rounds, must have been an anomaly. Everyone generally gets along well with each other and bullying was not tolerated. I believe I got solid training here and came out prepared for my current hospitalist position. The program is also working hard to increase resesrch opportunities. There is also a solid board review given every year - as evidenced by my classes 100% pass rate. The program is still relatively new and still has some growing to do, but I think its still a solid program. If any questions, you can pm me.

$15/day is not a con...

Yeah my residency only gave us money for call days and that too less than half that. 15 bucks per day is 450 bucks per month for food... that’s way better

Reactions: 2 users
As a recent graduate of this program I can definitely say this is not a malignant program. To the poster who had a bad experience during morning rounds, must have been an anomaly. Everyone generally gets along well with each other and bullying was not tolerated. I believe I got solid training here and came out prepared for my current hospitalist position. The program is also working hard to increase resesrch opportunities. There is also a solid board review given every year - as evidenced by my classes 100% pass rate. The program is still relatively new and still has some growing to do, but I think its still a solid program. If any questions, you can pm me.
Unable to PM you, I had a few questions if that's okay. Please let me know how I can reach you.

Anyone interview at FAU neuro? Havent been able to find any info on what the day is like and whether there is a pre-I dinner?