My NAPLEX May 2017 Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyu1228

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I took the NAPLEX this month and just found out the results today - I passed! I wanted to post my thoughts on it in hopes of helping anyone else who is frantically reading SDN posts to make themselves feel better about the exam. I did that too and now that I passed I really wanted to write this just as my way of giving back to the SDN community.

I will be sharing: what I used/did to study, my thoughts on what was helpful/not helpful, overall experience from taking the exam

I will NOT be sharing: specific topics or questions from the exam, and unfortunately my materials will not be available for sale

Materials I used:
- RxPrep2017 book
- SDN 120 Math Questions for practice
- I took the Pre-NAPLEX
- Attended a one-week review class class held by my school

1) RxPrep2017 book - I did NOT read every word of every chapter of this book or do every single one of the end-of-chapter test questions. I read the chapters of topics that I knew were big like infectious disease, oncology, HIV, diabetes, biostatistics & pharmacoeconomics, the psych chapters, non-sterile compounding, drug references, immunizations, and calculations. These topics in my opinion were the big topics that I found out from reading other SDN posts and I agree that focusing on these areas did serve me well on the exam. I completely did not study asthma, cystic fibrosis/lung diseases - but I made it and passed.

2) I found the SDN 120 Math Questions on here and thank you to the community for making that available! If you are reading all over SDN for tips about the NAPLEX you may have seen other users say that they felt this document was overkill and way harder than the real NAPLEX math questions - I agree. Math is not my strong suit at all, but I did not have any difficulty with the math on the exam, minus maybe 1-2 questions. I did not know how to calculate NNT and RRR and things like that beforehand, so I STUDIED that and you WILL need it for the exam.

3) Pre-NAPLEX - I read somewhere on here that whatever you get on the Pre-NAPLEX you will score 10 points higher on the actual exam. That DID happen for me, but I know for some people that it didn't. So interpret that as you may, just wanted to say that it worked for me. I think the math on the Pre-NAPLEX is a very solid representation of what you will see on the exam. There were topics that I think there is no way you would ever need to know that much detail. Overall, I think it just comes down to whether or not you want to pay $65 for the extra practice - I personally think I would have been fine on it and the test did not let me review my answers vs. the correct answers which for me is what I need to learn.

4) Lecture by my school - this was a 4-day review class with a practice exam at the end. It was very fast paced and I didn't know follow most of what was being said but it was required by my school to attend. If your school offers anything similar I would say do what I did and pay attention during the big topic areas that I mentioned above.

Overall, I walked out feeling like I FAILED the NAPLEX. Everyone around me knew how much I was hyperventilating about "omg did I pass?!" But just remember that there are 50 questions that do not count towards your score, the math is not as hard as you may think, and even after all of that there is some standardization that goes on. Thank you so much to the SDN community and to all the users that keep this network active - it really was a big help to me and I hope my very very long post will be useful for future exam takers. Good luck to everyone taking the test!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My exam within a couple of days, I was so anxious but your post made me really feel better. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I'm kinda going over the same topics but still freaking out I have very hard time memorizing oncology and some ID

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! I have a couple questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering!

All together, how long did you study for the exam? Also, did you use the RxPrep question bank, and if so did you find it to be fairly representative of the exam?

Thanks again!

My exam within a couple of days, I was so anxious but your post made me really feel better. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I'm kinda going over the same topics but still freaking out I have very hard time memorizing oncology and some ID

of course! best of luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for posting this! I have a couple questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering!

All together, how long did you study for the exam? Also, did you use the RxPrep question bank, and if so did you find it to be fairly representative of the exam?

Thanks again!

Hi! I seriously began studying during my last block of rotation - which is late March-April? This was the time that my school began posting modules and chapters that we had to independently self-study to stay on track with the schedule they had laid out for us.

Is the RXPrep Question bank the questions at the end of the chapter? I did those for the big topics and I thought those were good practice, but if there's a whole separate question bank that you have to purchase I did not do that. sorry I can't give you feedback on it :(

hope that helps! good luck feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Hello Guys,
I am selling the following books:
RxPrep's California Law Summary for CPJE
Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE-2017
Weissman Book
Sigler's Prescription Drug Cards: Study Cards with Binder

how long did you study for? did you study for months in advance? i take mine in less than a month and i've only been through a few sections (and its not even the big ones) so scared!!!! :'(

how long did you study for? did you study for months in advance? i take mine in less than a month and i've only been through a few sections (and its not even the big ones) so scared!!!! :'(

I started reading maybe 1 month in advance, our school outlined chapters that we should read and self-study from so I followed that calendar, then about 2 weeks prior I really started focusing and making extra notes and flashcards!

I started reading maybe 1 month in advance, our school outlined chapters that we should read and self-study from so I followed that calendar, then about 2 weeks prior I really started focusing and making extra notes and flashcards!

thank you so much for your advice!!!

Did you feel that the RxPrep class sessions focused on the things you needed to know for HIV/ID/Oncology etc.? or were there things on the NAPLEX covered in which you felt that they didn't cover in the live session from the topics they covered?

Hello everyone, I took the NAPLEX this month and just found out the results today - I passed! I wanted to post my thoughts on it in hopes of helping anyone else who is frantically reading SDN posts to make themselves feel better about the exam. I did that too and now that I passed I really wanted to write this just as my way of giving back to the SDN community.

I will be sharing: what I used/did to study, my thoughts on what was helpful/not helpful, overall experience from taking the exam

I will NOT be sharing: specific topics or questions from the exam, and unfortunately my materials will not be available for sale

Materials I used:
- RxPrep2017 book
- SDN 120 Math Questions for practice
- I took the Pre-NAPLEX
- Attended a one-week review class class held by my school

1) RxPrep2017 book - I did NOT read every word of every chapter of this book or do every single one of the end-of-chapter test questions. I read the chapters of topics that I knew were big like infectious disease, oncology, HIV, diabetes, biostatistics & pharmacoeconomics, the psych chapters, non-sterile compounding, drug references, immunizations, and calculations. These topics in my opinion were the big topics that I found out from reading other SDN posts and I agree that focusing on these areas did serve me well on the exam. I completely did not study asthma, cystic fibrosis/lung diseases - but I made it and passed.

2) I found the SDN 120 Math Questions on here and thank you to the community for making that available! If you are reading all over SDN for tips about the NAPLEX you may have seen other users say that they felt this document was overkill and way harder than the real NAPLEX math questions - I agree. Math is not my strong suit at all, but I did not have any difficulty with the math on the exam, minus maybe 1-2 questions. I did not know how to calculate NNT and RRR and things like that beforehand, so I STUDIED that and you WILL need it for the exam.

3) Pre-NAPLEX - I read somewhere on here that whatever you get on the Pre-NAPLEX you will score 10 points higher on the actual exam. That DID happen for me, but I know for some people that it didn't. So interpret that as you may, just wanted to say that it worked for me. I think the math on the Pre-NAPLEX is a very solid representation of what you will see on the exam. There were topics that I think there is no way you would ever need to know that much detail. Overall, I think it just comes down to whether or not you want to pay $65 for the extra practice - I personally think I would have been fine on it and the test did not let me review my answers vs. the correct answers which for me is what I need to learn.

4) Lecture by my school - this was a 4-day review class with a practice exam at the end. It was very fast paced and I didn't know follow most of what was being said but it was required by my school to attend. If your school offers anything similar I would say do what I did and pay attention during the big topic areas that I mentioned above.

Overall, I walked out feeling like I FAILED the NAPLEX. Everyone around me knew how much I was hyperventilating about "omg did I pass?!" But just remember that there are 50 questions that do not count towards your score, the math is not as hard as you may think, and even after all of that there is some standardization that goes on. Thank you so much to the SDN community and to all the users that keep this network active - it really was a big help to me and I hope my very very long post will be useful for future exam takers. Good luck to everyone taking the test!

Are the two rxprep question bank for biostats compeable to the biostats on naplex?

Are the two rxprep question bank for biostats compeable to the biostats on naplex?
Hey! I don't know what the question bank is because I didn't buy it, but if you know how to calculate NNT, ARR, RRR, etc. you should be set.

Reactions: 1 user