My Pre-dental Journey: Not the ideal applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teetharecool22

Reaction score
I wanted to share my path to dental school having been accepted to my top choice and give some hope to other applicants who feel like their application has holes everywhere. I will try to keep this as short and succinct as possible and leave out schools for sake of anonymity.

1) My major/minor: I majored in computer science and minored in mathematics.

2) My GPA/Grades: I ended with a 3.6 science and overall GPA which was the average GPA at my top choice school. I had four 2 C's and 2 C+'s on my transcript which I was so worried about. The first two being in my first semester in college (English and college algebra) and the other two being in calc 3 and gen chem II.

3) My DAT Score: I had a 20 AA and 21 TS and a 16 in QR. I was extremely worried about the 16 QR and felt it was especially embarrassing being a math minor but it wasn't brought up during my interview.

4) My extracurriculars: I did not participate in a single club at my school nor did I participate in give kids a smile day or other dental-related events like that. Of course, I shadowed a bunch (around 130 hours). All my volunteer hours came from work at my local hospital and church.

5) Application mail out date: I sent in my application in late August and my committee letter wasn't in until the first week of September. I ended up interviewing during the very last interview session before acceptance day.

6) I only applied to four schools. I know I seem crazy to most people on here but if I could've applied to only two schools I would have. I did research on the schools, compared my stats, checked to see if what percent of their class is out of state, decided if I could see myself living there for four years, and then chose which school I applied to. I knew my chances of getting an interview at the two schools I ended up getting interview offers were high. I applied to two other schools mainly because my mom forced me to but I knew my chances weren't too good and I still haven't heard from them.

7) What I think saved my application: I participated in a dental experience program offered by my top choice school. Check to see which schools have them and apply, it's great exposure and a good way to build a connection with the school. I also got a very strong letter of recommendation from my computer science professor who I did research and the prosthodontist/general dentist I shadowed which was compiled into a committee letter (highly recommend if offered by your school). Being personable and friendly during the interview is a must. Think of what you want your dentist to be like, now be like that. No one wants a robot dentist. Show interest in the school during the interview, show why that school stands out to you!

My pre-health advisor and the college consultant (idk what they are called exactly) reviewing my personal statement both did not think I would get accepted with my situation this cycle. They both advised me to wait until the next cycle. As you can see I did not listen to them and applied and it ended up working out for me. Not to say it was an easy journey and the same is guaranteed for everyone, I wasn't offered my first interview until mid-October and my second interview (top choice) until the last week of November. It was an incredibly stress filled journey but it worked out! Don't give up hope and don't stress out about not being a cookie-cutter applicant. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to share my path to dental school having been accepted to my top choice and give some hope to other applicants who feel like their application has holes everywhere. I will try to keep this as short and succinct as possible and leave out schools for sake of anonymity.

1) My major/minor: I majored in computer science and minored in mathematics.

2) My GPA/Grades: I ended with a 3.6 science and overall GPA which was the average GPA at my top choice school. I had four 2 C's and 2 C+'s on my transcript which I was so worried about. The first two being in my first semester in college (English and college algebra) and the other two being in calc 3 and gen chem II.
3) My DAT Score: I had a 20 AA and 21 TS and a 16 in QR. I was extremely worried about the 16 QR and felt it was especially being a math minor but it wasn't brought up during my interview.

4) My extracurriculars: I did not participate in a single club at my school nor did I participate in give kids a smile day or other dental-related events like that. Of course, I shadowed a bunch (around 130 hours). All my volunteer hours came from work at my local hospital and church.
5) Application mail out date: I sent in my application in late August and my committee letter wasn't in until the first week of September. I ended up interviewing during the very last interview session before acceptance day.

6) I only applied to four schools. I know I seem crazy to most people on here but if I could've applied to only two schools I would have. I did research on the schools, compared my stats, checked to see if what percent of their class is out of state, decided if I could see myself living there for four years, and then chose which school I applied to. I knew my chances of getting an interview at the two schools I ended up getting interview offers were high. I applied to two other schools mainly because my mom forced me to but I knew my chances weren't too good and I still haven't heard from them.

7) What I think saved my application: I participated in a dental experience program offered by my top choice school. Check to see which schools have them and apply, it's great exposure and a good way to build a connection with the school. I also got a very strong letter of recommendation from my computer science professor who I did research and the prosthodontist/general dentist I shadowed which was compiled into a committee letter (highly recommend if offered by your school). Being personable and friendly during the interview is a must. Think of what you want your dentist to be like, now be like that. No one wants a robot dentist. Show interest in the school during the interview, show why that school stands out to you!

My pre-health advisor and the college consultant (idk what they are called exactly) reviewing my personal statement both did not think I would get accepted with my situation this cycle. They both advised me to wait until the next cycle. As you can see I did not listen to them and applied and it ended up working out for me. Not to say it was an easy journey and the same is guaranteed for everyone, I wasn't offered my first interview until mid-October and my second interview (top choice) until the last week of November. It was an incredibly stress filled journey but it worked out! Don't give up hope and don't stress out about not being a cookie-cutter applicant. Good luck!
Congrats! great story.

my pre-health advisor as well told me there was no way I would get in as well. His mock interview with me went awfully and I ended up doing the opposite of most of the stuff he recommended.

worked well for me! I'm sure some are better than others but I am wary of following these people's recommendations overall. I later found out he himself failed to get into med school and became an 'advisor'. no idea of what qualifications they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! great story.

my pre-health advisor as well told me there was no way I would get in as well. His mock interview with me went awfully and I ended up doing the opposite of most of the stuff he recommended.

worked well for me! I'm sure some are better than others but I am wary of following these people's recommendations overall. I later found out he himself failed to get into med school and became an 'advisor'. no idea of what qualifications they have.
Thank you! Strangely I think the same thing happened with my pre-health advisor... concerning. But I'm glad it worked out well for you too : )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to share that my GPA is a bit above 3.6 but I also had a decent share of Cs and even an F from freshman year. Also got accepted to multiple great places.

Just wanted to share that my GPA is a bit above 3.6 but I also had a decent share of Cs and even an F from freshman year. Also got accepted to multiple great places.
congrats! I only have science GPA 3.21 and DAT average 19, PAT 21. I didn't receive any interview this turn. I don't think I have any hope for this turn anymore. I need to re-take my DAT, and applied next year again.

I mean you have a 28 AA..... lol. Your GPA isn’t even looked at 😅