My school's affiliated hospital for CE in the US is NOT a ACGME teaching hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAIBOE88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My international medical school (which is accredited and accepted by the US) has an affiliation with a hospital in New York but it is NOT an ACGME teaching hospital. I am worried that doing all my 6th year core clinical rotations there may be considered unacceptable by the state licensing board since it is not an associated academic teaching hospital. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is this affiliation enough?
Because I checked the medical board of California and it states DO NOT CONTACT THEM asking if your clinical rotation counts. You will only know after you graduate and submit for a license; essentially when it will be too late. If it helps, this is the hospital (http://www.wyckoffhospital.org/). Thank you in advance.

From the California Medical License Board Website:
How do I know if my clinical rotations will be accepted?
In general, clinical rotations may be acceptable if they are conducted:
  • at your medical school’s teaching hospital;
  • in a US facility that has an ACGME accredited program in the specialty in which you are doing the rotation; or
  • in an institution that your medical school has an affiliation agreement with that has been previously approved by the Medical Board of California.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it hasn't been approved by the MBC then I would be concerned for sure.

If it hasn't been approved by the MBC then I would be concerned for sure.
Thank you. It is a bit frustrating finding out if it has been "previously approved by the MBC" when you are not allowed to contact the Board and ask if it will be approved. Apparently your school should know, but I do not trust my advisor to tell me "oh, it will be fine..." and then get a huge blow when the MBC denies my entire 6th year spent at an affiliated community hospital in the US.