my semi-solicited advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adcomm,
This is something I posted earlier, but I didnt get much of a response. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks.
"How closely do Med schools evaluate your transcript over the summer prior to matriculation?
For example, if you thought you were doing an honors thesis when you filed your amcas, but you can no longer write a thesis and therefore wont get honors in your respective major, is this a really big deal, i.e. grounds for rescinding an offer?
should you let med schools know of this change prior to the summer?"

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminesurge said:
Hey, if you've answered these in the past, say so and I'll find them. So I'm kind of an odd story in terms of this application cycle, but we'll boil it down to: I got waitlisted at the school I've wanted all along. So a few questions:
1. Should I mention in an LOI that money/financial aid is not a concern as I come from a well established background? I've been told that might be a point in my favor, but it sounds effin' disgusting to me.
2. My best friend goes to the school in question, but is in law (ok, one look at my MDApp profile and it's clear the school's Yale Law) and he wants to write a letter saying I would fit into the Yale community. I'm already planning on having 3-6 letters written in my favor (one director of a hospital I've been volunteering in, a ward director for the same hospital, a director of an ambulance station I worked in earlier this year, potentially from two current Yale med students and one alum.) How much of this is overkill/can hurt me? IF you guys saw something like this would it come off as positive or psychotic?

P.S. I'm suddenly wishing this were more anonymous. Sigh. Thanks, Adcomm...

A, I just want to get this out of the way that I don't read anyone's profile, and I don't really have any interest in identifying posters or their schools.

That said, I don't know much about this situation and I don't know anything about Yale admissions. (there- I'm not at Yale.) So you're getting my personal opinion/speculation here. I don't think the financial aspect would be relevant in a LOI. I haven't seen an applicant's ability to pay come into factor yet, as we are all eligable for and taking out the same loans. So I'd leave that out. As for the letters, I think the alum and hospital director would be especially nice. I'm not sure what constitutes overkill, sorry.

niceguy3521 said:
Adcomm,
This is something I posted earlier, but I didnt get much of a response. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks.
"How closely do Med schools evaluate your transcript over the summer prior to matriculation?
For example, if you thought you were doing an honors thesis when you filed your amcas, but you can no longer write a thesis and therefore wont get honors in your respective major, is this a really big deal, i.e. grounds for rescinding an offer?
should you let med schools know of this change prior to the summer?"
I'm not sure, but my feeling is that if it was an honest change in plans (ie, you weren't totally making it up on the application) it won't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
adcomm:

I went to UC Santa Cruz back before they began issuing grades. I attended a JC in CA for two years prior with a strong GPA and am attending a recognized postbac now, but will the fact that a majorit of my coursework is narrative evals hurt my application? Incidentally, none of my science prereqs were done at UCSC.

Basically, will the narrative evals be read, or just tossed?

Thanks for your help...

notdeadyet said:
adcomm:

I went to UC Santa Cruz back before they began issuing grades. I attended a JC in CA for two years prior with a strong GPA and am attending a recognized postbac now, but will the fact that a majorit of my coursework is narrative evals hurt my application? Incidentally, none of my science prereqs were done at UCSC.

Basically, will the narrative evals be read, or just tossed?

Thanks for your help...
as far as the screening process, I don't know because I don't do it. I think your postbacc will carry the most weight especially if the undergard is in the past as it seems.

Now, all we need is a residency PD and we are set :laugh:

Awesome!
:thumbup:

Hey Adcomm,

The year I apply to medical school I will have only one class to take to graduate and I will have the whole year off. So I am considering getting a double major in Biochemistry to go with my Biology major. It is only 5 extra classes, 2 of which I was going to take anyway, so taking 3 classes a semester my last year wouldn't be too much work. I am not just doing this because it would look good for medical school, if I was going to go to grad school or be a teacher or whatever I'd probably be considering this double major in that situation as well.

My questions are:

1) Does this extra major improve my application at all?
2) Should I instead take the year "off" from school and do other things I wont have time for once I get into medical school?
3) How useful would analytical chemistry, biochem, physical biochem, and instrumental analysis be too me for medical school?
4) Would it be more useful for me to instead of getting an extra major just take extra biology electives like immunology, histology etc?

Thanks for the info!

adcomm said:
A, I just want to get this out of the way that I don't read anyone's profile, and I don't really have any interest in identifying posters or their schools.

That said, I don't know much about this situation and I don't know anything about Yale admissions. (there- I'm not at Yale.) So you're getting my personal opinion/speculation here. I don't think the financial aspect would be relevant in a LOI. I haven't seen an applicant's ability to pay come into factor yet, as we are all eligable for and taking out the same loans. So I'd leave that out. As for the letters, I think the alum and hospital director would be especially nice. I'm not sure what constitutes overkill, sorry.

Thanks, Adcomm!

adcomm said:
I'm not sure, but my feeling is that if it was an honest change in plans (ie, you weren't totally making it up on the application) it won't matter.

Thanks for your response adcomm. But would you inform schools of this change of plans or is it more likely that they wont even notice it?

Adcomm, let me first say thank you for posting your advice and answering our questions. It's much appreciated.
I completed a BA in religion, but decided to pursue medicine after graduation. I've taken my prereqs at a community college, and done very well. I'm scoring between 30-32 on my practice tests. I have about 100 hrs of hospital volunteer experience, and a handful (not much) of hours of shadowing experience. Most of my undergrad was spent doing ministry related things (leading Bible studies, meeting weekly with members, etc) and a few missions trips. Is 100 hrs seen as sufficient clinical exposure? I don't have any research experience either.

hey adcomm,

personally or generally speaking (as an interviewer), do you prefer applicants to speak briefly or fully about their experiences/beliefs? sometimes people just like to rattle along, but i would like to know if this really bothers the interviewer?

DoctorPardi said:
Hey Adcomm,

The year I apply to medical school I will have only one class to take to graduate and I will have the whole year off. So I am considering getting a double major in Biochemistry to go with my Biology major. It is only 5 extra classes, 2 of which I was going to take anyway, so taking 3 classes a semester my last year wouldn't be too much work. I am not just doing this because it would look good for medical school, if I was going to go to grad school or be a teacher or whatever I'd probably be considering this double major in that situation as well.

My questions are:

1) Does this extra major improve my application at all?
2) Should I instead take the year "off" from school and do other things I wont have time for once I get into medical school?
3) How useful would analytical chemistry, biochem, physical biochem, and instrumental analysis be too me for medical school?
4) Would it be more useful for me to instead of getting an extra major just take extra biology electives like immunology, histology etc?

Thanks for the info!
1. not any astronomical amount. I'm assuming you have a minor in biochem already. the important thing is that they are seeing that those courses went into your upper-level courseload one way or another. either accomplishes that, I think.

2. do you want to take a year "off" from school and do other things you won't have time for once you get into medical school? is there something you feel like you'd regret not getting to do? I don't recommend taking off and sitting on the couch, but if there's something you've always wanted to do- bartend nights and hand out stuffed animals to kids by day, travel somewhere, ummm... research, whatever your thing is, you're right: this is your chance. If there's something you'd really like to do, I wouldn't hesitate to graduate and then go do it.

3. only biochem is useful.

4. if you're determined to stay in school for the year, my PERSONAL choice would be to take the relevant classes. that is me speaking as a med student. while they are by NO means necessary, immuno, histo, etc will definitely make your life easier. I had neuroscience and a very cool toxicology class that I was very glad I took, in retrospect.

niceguy3521 said:
Thanks for your response adcomm. But would you inform schools of this change of plans or is it more likely that they wont even notice it?
I'm honest to a fault so I'd probably call and let them know, and it would probably be overkill. They won't notice it on their own.

Members don't see this ad :)
SeminoleFan3 said:
Adcomm, let me first say thank you for posting your advice and answering our questions. It's much appreciated.
I completed a BA in religion, but decided to pursue medicine after graduation. I've taken my prereqs at a community college, and done very well. I'm scoring between 30-32 on my practice tests. I have about 100 hrs of hospital volunteer experience, and a handful (not much) of hours of shadowing experience. Most of my undergrad was spent doing ministry related things (leading Bible studies, meeting weekly with members, etc) and a few missions trips. Is 100 hrs seen as sufficient clinical exposure? I don't have any research experience either.
I think 100 hrs is good, especially if it involved patient contact. If you don't feel like you got a good handle on what a day is like as a doc, go shadow some more. You need to be able to show in an interview that you've seen it, and you definitely want it. :)

2Xtrouble2X said:
hey adcomm,

personally or generally speaking (as an interviewer), do you prefer applicants to speak briefly or fully about their experiences/beliefs? sometimes people just like to rattle along, but i would like to know if this really bothers the interviewer?
I personally don't interview. I listen to and vote on the presentations by the interviewer, along with the rest of the interviewers. From the anecdotes I've heard, the extremes are bad. ie, the 30 minute interview should NOT consist of you talking for 28 minutes. likewise, one-line replies to questions give off a bad aura. you should be open, but conversational. stick to the topic. explain the things that are important, but don't talk just to fill up time. this is one of those interpersonal skills interviews are supposed to evaluate :)

Hello adcomm,

Are general studies programs frowned upon. I'm in nyu's general studies program, as a pre-med and I am going to transfer to the University next year. Does this look bad. The General studies program is for applicants
that were not accepted into the University but are allowed to enter the GS program and transfer into the University after 2 years.

I'm a former Pre-vet, which means I've got a ton of vet experience. Including: Volunteering at a Wildlife Refuge, four year of employment at a small animal clinic, a year shadowing a large animal vet, and a summer working with the Red Wolf Recovery Program, tracking one of the rarest mammals in this hemisphere. Obviously, I don't regret any of these experiences, and all of them have led me to my current decision in their own way.

My question is how do I use these experiences when I apply. I've asked plenty of people, and gotten responses from: "They'll make you unique" to "You shouldn't mention them at all, they'll make you look indecisive."

I'm curious as to what you think.

For the record I do have human clinical experience as well, couple hundred hours working as an EMT-B, plus ER volunteering and shadowing. I'm hoping to add a few more this summer before applying this fall.

So the hospital director would be happy to write me a rec, but he said that seeing as he's only written ones for Israeli institutions in the past, he'd like some insight as to what adcoms in the US especially want to hear. He wanted to say he's known me for years and I'm intellectually curious, dedicated, friendly, ambitious and have exceptional character. I've shadowed in his hospital and have connected with patients and staff alike. But that's all pretty standard. What else would really grab the attention of an admissions committee?

robsuz said:
Hello adcomm,

Are general studies programs frowned upon. I'm in nyu's general studies program, as a pre-med and I am going to transfer to the University next year. Does this look bad. The General studies program is for applicants
that were not accepted into the University but are allowed to enter the GS program and transfer into the University after 2 years.
sounds like the same thing as going to a community college and transferring after 2 years. I think as long as your application is solid, and you do well in the courses in the second 2 years, it isn't a problem. they are more interseted in how you handled upper level bio than freshman english.

fenixwbp said:
I'm a former Pre-vet, which means I've got a ton of vet experience. Including: Volunteering at a Wildlife Refuge, four year of employment at a small animal clinic, a year shadowing a large animal vet, and a summer working with the Red Wolf Recovery Program, tracking one of the rarest mammals in this hemisphere. Obviously, I don't regret any of these experiences, and all of them have led me to my current decision in their own way.

My question is how do I use these experiences when I apply. I've asked plenty of people, and gotten responses from: "They'll make you unique" to "You shouldn't mention them at all, they'll make you look indecisive."

I'm curious as to what you think.

For the record I do have human clinical experience as well, couple hundred hours working as an EMT-B, plus ER volunteering and shadowing. I'm hoping to add a few more this summer before applying this fall.
hmmmm. the indecisiveness thing isn't totally unfounded. I think you can mention them as part of a really great story about how you came to be totally and truly committed to human medicine (along with your human experience). be a good storyteller.

dopaminesurge said:
So the hospital director would be happy to write me a rec, but he said that seeing as he's only written ones for Israeli institutions in the past, he'd like some insight as to what adcoms in the US especially want to hear. He wanted to say he's known me for years and I'm intellectually curious, dedicated, friendly, ambitious and have exceptional character. I've shadowed in his hospital and have connected with patients and staff alike. But that's all pretty standard. What else would really grab the attention of an admissions committee?
those things are fine to say. he should write what he feels. I can't offer you the magic sentence.

Adcomm and others,

There were 3 semesters in college during which I took 3 courses (rather than 4, which is the usual load, although 3 is still full-time). I've heard that some committees will just put you in the reject pile after seeing that... Any truth to that? I'd be disappointed to hear that's true because:
1. I've already graduated so I can't really do anything about it now (although if that is true, then I'll probably apply to more schools than I was originally planning to).
2. I didn't take fewer courses just to be lazy! I did it so I could devote more time to research, plus working at an additional job.

So is it true that fewer courses=application death sentence??

zimmie256 said:
Adcomm and others,

There were 3 semesters in college during which I took 3 courses (rather than 4, which is the usual load, although 3 is still full-time). I've heard that some committees will just put you in the reject pile after seeing that... Any truth to that? I'd be disappointed to hear that's true because:
1. I've already graduated so I can't really do anything about it now (although if that is true, then I'll probably apply to more schools than I was originally planning to).
2. I didn't take fewer courses just to be lazy! I did it so I could devote more time to research, plus working at an additional job.

So is it true that fewer courses=application death sentence??
not at my school. especially if you were doing research and working.

for non-traditional students ...

1) do adcoms take into consideration post-bacc grades on a heavier scale? Such as first degree was 2.5, 2nd degree was 3.6 but overall have a 3.0.

2) Do adcoms have a preference to see formal-post bacc or second-bachelors/do-it-yourself for prereqs and upper division? Especially for retaking classes.

Thanks!

Adcomm, thanks for posting here! I'm on a waiting list for my top choice, which gives me a lot of time to think back over specific questions that came up in my interviews that could tip the scales one way or another. Can you give me some feedback about how committees typically view the following?

1. Ultimately, medicine has always been my career goal, but there were a few years where I detoured into a career in education as a practical response to family issues and life events. Does that detour make me seem indecisive and uncommitted to medicine, or more well-rounded?

2. The majority of my clinical experience has been with patients, while only some of it has been directly shadowing doctors. Does that make me seem dedicated to patient-first healthcare, or naive to what it's really like to be a doctor?

3. I am bi-racial (white and hispanic), and I marked the hispanic box. Does the committee look down on someone who identified themselves as a minority when the "caucasian" box was also an option? (Some context: My father is fluent in Spanish, but I didn't grow up speaking it so as an adult I've studied to learn it. Also, I feel a commitment to underprivileged and minority populations, so I've deliberately sought out jobs and experiences working with them).

4. I'm from a very poor family in a rural area and I had to work my way through college, so I marked the disadvantaged box. I've worked hard, scored high on the MCAT, maintained good grades, and made the most of my experiences, though. Does the committee look down on someone who has done well but marked the disadvantaged box anyway? (I didn't mark it to get "extra credit"... I marked it because it was true and it's a part of who I am)

Hey adcomm, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I am waitlisted at my top choice, and I was wondering how often you think is reasonable to have contact with people in admissions (calling/updating/emailing etc). Some people on SDN have mentioned that they call every week (I just did today, and I don't think it helped at all, I doubt she logged my call). And others say once a month or so. What do you think is the happy medium? I feel like every week is too much (I would have nothing new to say) but I'm not sure about every month either...Should I only call/email if I have something substantial (like an update) to talk about? And what about when it gets closer to May 15th?

Adcom,

Thanks for the thread. I just have a two part questions.

1a. How much weight does the fact that your finance' or spouse is attending the school you're interested have on whether your accepted there?

1b. If there is a positive effect from this, what is best way to present it to the committee and/or your interviewers?

Thanks again for all of you help?

Hi Adcomm,

I sent a letter of interest to a school where I am waitlisted a few months ago. Now I'm debating whether or not to send them anything else as May 15 approaches. I don't really have any significant updates. I have been working full time since I finished college two years ago in the technology field. Recently (after my LOI), I joined another company in a managerial role (also technology in the media/entertainment industry). I have also volunteered for a few months tutoring. While I'm still waiting for responses from two other schools, I intend to retake the MCAT in April (which is why I haven't had time to do anything else). Do you think these changes are sufficient for an update letter? Perhaps they will think that I didn't really try to improve my application since I didn't gain more clinical experience (i have only 1 year in a hospital from college). Should I also mention that I will be retaking the MCAT?

Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for your advice!

mshheaddoc said:
for non-traditional students ...

1) do adcoms take into consideration post-bacc grades on a heavier scale? Such as first degree was 2.5, 2nd degree was 3.6 but overall have a 3.0.

2) Do adcoms have a preference to see formal-post bacc or second-bachelors/do-it-yourself for prereqs and upper division? Especially for retaking classes.

Thanks!
2.5 is a bit severe. your good score in the post bacc usually compensates decently, but I think there would be questions raised about that 2.5. what happened? was it 2.5 throughout? those questions matter. also, a longer length of time between the 2.5 and 3.6 is better than just a year.

the adcomms definitely know the rigorousness (is that a word? you know what I'm getting at) of the local post baccs. some of them involve taking med school classes, and entering one of these programs and doing well in it is more positive than do it yourself. for the average post bacc, I'm not sure. I think it definitely shows you are putting yourself on the track for med school, not just retaking a class here or there. if you rock your prereqs and mcat on your own though, not a problem. it's not that it detracts from your app.

Hope2010 said:
Adcomm, thanks for posting here! I'm on a waiting list for my top choice, which gives me a lot of time to think back over specific questions that came up in my interviews that could tip the scales one way or another. Can you give me some feedback about how committees typically view the following?

1. Ultimately, medicine has always been my career goal, but there were a few years where I detoured into a career in education as a practical response to family issues and life events. Does that detour make me seem indecisive and uncommitted to medicine, or more well-rounded?

2. The majority of my clinical experience has been with patients, while only some of it has been directly shadowing doctors. Does that make me seem dedicated to patient-first healthcare, or naive to what it's really like to be a doctor?

3. I am bi-racial (white and hispanic), and I marked the hispanic box. Does the committee look down on someone who identified themselves as a minority when the "caucasian" box was also an option? (Some context: My father is fluent in Spanish, but I didn't grow up speaking it so as an adult I've studied to learn it. Also, I feel a commitment to underprivileged and minority populations, so I've deliberately sought out jobs and experiences working with them).

4. I'm from a very poor family in a rural area and I had to work my way through college, so I marked the disadvantaged box. I've worked hard, scored high on the MCAT, maintained good grades, and made the most of my experiences, though. Does the committee look down on someone who has done well but marked the disadvantaged box anyway? (I didn't mark it to get "extra credit"... I marked it because it was true and it's a part of who I am)
I thought for a long time about how to reply to this post. It isn't so much asking for advice as it's seeking baseless, pointless speculation. And feeding the stressed out premed beast. That said, there may be a point or two that someone else will read and take away, so I'll do it fast then leave feeling dirty. :)

1. as long as you are firmly committed to medicine (and have a good story about how you came to change your mind, or why you did what you did) it doesn't make you indecisive. some schools are friendlier than other to nontraditional applicants- average age of starting class should clue you in there.

2. either is fine. seriously. you are analyzing to death here.

3. the minority box is for you to express what ethnic groups you identify with. I covered this a bit in my first post. if you truly identify with the community (this is frequently demonstrated by the kind of volunteering/jobs you mentioned) then no one can ever fault you for marking one box or another. if you find yourself making excuses and stretching the truth, you should think again.

4. if it's true and part of who you are and you're still wondering if you should have checked it, who do you think the box IS for? there is no law that says people from disadvantaged backgrounds can't do well for themselves in grades or life or anything. if I felt I had overcome particularly arduous circumstances that most of the other applicants didn't, I wouldn't hesitate to check it. as long as you can defend it, no problem.

lookslikerain said:
Hey adcomm, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I am waitlisted at my top choice, and I was wondering how often you think is reasonable to have contact with people in admissions (calling/updating/emailing etc). Some people on SDN have mentioned that they call every week (I just did today, and I don't think it helped at all, I doubt she logged my call). And others say once a month or so. What do you think is the happy medium? I feel like every week is too much (I would have nothing new to say) but I'm not sure about every month either...Should I only call/email if I have something substantial (like an update) to talk about? And what about when it gets closer to May 15th?
I'm not sure. I haven't been through this part of the cycle. My personal feeling is that every week is a bit much. I don't think twice this month would kill you, but I don't really know. Maybe every 3? :confused:

alphaholic06 said:
Adcom,

Thanks for the thread. I just have a two part questions.

1a. How much weight does the fact that your finance' or spouse is attending the school you're interested have on whether your accepted there?

1b. If there is a positive effect from this, what is best way to present it to the committee and/or your interviewers?

Thanks again for all of you help?
I've seen spouse/sibling connections to the same school or other allied health schools in the same university be a positive thing. They know you are likely to come here, so in the cases I saw it helped them not get waitlisted. ie, it will make a strong application stronger. the natural way to bring it up is "I became interested in the school because my husband..." or "I really want to come here because I feel like I'd be a great fit. I've seen the experiences my wife had..." not those cheesy words but you get the point. you've heard good things, etc.

Apparition said:
Hi Adcomm,

I sent a letter of interest to a school where I am waitlisted a few months ago. Now I'm debating whether or not to send them anything else as May 15 approaches. I don't really have any significant updates. I have been working full time since I finished college two years ago in the technology field. Recently (after my LOI), I joined another company in a managerial role (also technology in the media/entertainment industry). I have also volunteered for a few months tutoring. While I'm still waiting for responses from two other schools, I intend to retake the MCAT in April (which is why I haven't had time to do anything else). Do you think these changes are sufficient for an update letter? Perhaps they will think that I didn't really try to improve my application since I didn't gain more clinical experience (i have only 1 year in a hospital from college). Should I also mention that I will be retaking the MCAT?

Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for your advice!
I don't know a whole lot about what gets you moved around on the waitlist and what doesn't, but I think it would be fine to send those updates. I don't know how I'd feel to hear an applicant is retaking the MCAT, though- that's basically admitting defeat and would only be relevant for next year's cycle, anyway. maybe if you totally rocked it and were still waitlisted when you got the score, but...

2Xtrouble2X said:
im a pre-med freshmen...

I recently earned a job to work at the hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy technician...i dont know if the adcom's consider this actual clinical experience. My idea on working in the pharmacy is to gain knowledge of different kinds of medicine to treat patients--this knowledge will be very important when i am prescribing medicine as a "doctor."

My real questions are is pharmacy tech considered clinical (if in the hospital)?? and what do you suggest me to do if it isnt...a lot of people suggested volunteering, but i dont even know where to start!! thanks adcomm and good luck in the coming admissions season

I'm not on any admissions committees, but I have significant experience as a pharmacy technician (5 years, retail pharmacy), thinking it would help my applications. From what I can tell, it didn't do me too much good (rejected the 1st time around; re-applying for next fall while in a grad program).

dearest adcomm

what's it like being on the admissions committee? is it fun? does anything ever jump out at you that makes you think 's/he's got my vote!' ? if so, what sort of things are they?

on the flip side, what sort of things do you see and think to yourself automatic rejection

Hi adcomm,
I am currently a freshmen in a liberal arts college and i have run into some obstacles
-my first college semester i took 17 credit hrs but ended up dropping Calc and getting a 'W' in the class due to bad grade
- second semester, i again took calc I cuz i really wanted to get through it as it had become a personal challenge for me and also cuz my school required it.... but i had to drop it again with a 'W' on my transcript on my transcript (this time it was more cuz of the teacher than me)... it dropped to 9 credit hrs which i knows just blows *** but that's the truth.
- activities: -been part of MSA for a yr
- will shadow probably like two or three doctors before colleges close as i have arranged all the requirements n stuff(ea for like three or four days)

- SUMMER: going out of country ( a third world country) and will volunteer their for 2-3 months!

1st semester cum gpa= 3.39
2nd semester cum gpa= probably 3.47-3.6

............and that's my freshmen yr... now that u know my story, can u give me some HONEST feedback on it, any advice, comments or thoughts or wat should i do next, etc... honest advice will be admired more than modest comments!
Thank you,
Tikiman

Hi adcomm. Thanks for all the wonderful information that you're providing for all of us. I have two question.

How negatively do schools look at reapplicants? If I don’t get in this year, next year will be my third cycle. My first cycle, I had no interviews because of a bad MCAT score. This cycle I had 4 interviews, but my application was in late. I am a little worried because I have a friend who is also a reapplicant this year and has gotten fewer interviews this year than the year before though he applied earlier this year.

I've been out of school for almost 2 yrs now. During two of my interviews the interviewer asked me if i was taking classes or plan on taking classes if i don't get in this year. I think they were asking me because of the length of time i've been away from the books. Do you recommend that i take classes just to show that i am still capable of studying.

Thanks adcomm

cobalt31 said:
dearest adcomm

what's it like being on the admissions committee? is it fun? does anything ever jump out at you that makes you think 's/he's got my vote!' ? if so, what sort of things are they?

on the flip side, what sort of things do you see and think to yourself automatic rejection
it's very much fun. well, sometimes it gets long esp. if you're post-call. for the most part it's very interesting to see not only the applicants but the discussions they spur in the committee.

things definitely pull me (and others) to root for or against a candidate. for my school, at least for me and I believe in others, it's how well the candidate's application lines up with our mission statement. yes, you heard it, mission statement. what is that, you may ask? something you glazed over on the website or application packet, something I glazed over and never bothered reading, but I've learned now it actually is useful for how to do well at an interview at my school. we definitely have a "type" of person and often the interviewer will refer to this- ie, this person is a X person, or this person would do fine academically but don't really seem like an X person. (X being the school. naturally.).

the biggest things that have caused me to vote flat out rejection for candidates (vs accept but at a lower level, if I just wasn't that impressed) were to the effect of "candidate was snobby/didn't even bother to act interested" and people who blame others for things in their personal statement and interview (that B- in orgo lab was all my partner's fault).

oh, and the stories of the weird/random interviews are definitely the highlight of some meetings. ;)

tikiman said:
Hi adcomm,
I am currently a freshmen in a liberal arts college and i have run into some obstacles
-my first college semester i took 17 credit hrs but ended up dropping Calc and getting a 'W' in the class due to bad grade
- second semester, i again took calc I cuz i really wanted to get through it as it had become a personal challenge for me and also cuz my school required it.... but i had to drop it again with a 'W' on my transcript on my transcript (this time it was more cuz of the teacher than me)... it dropped to 9 credit hrs which i knows just blows *** but that's the truth.
- activities: -been part of MSA for a yr
- will shadow probably like two or three doctors before colleges close as i have arranged all the requirements n stuff(ea for like three or four days)

- SUMMER: going out of country ( a third world country) and will volunteer their for 2-3 months!

1st semester cum gpa= 3.39
2nd semester cum gpa= probably 3.47-3.6

............and that's my freshmen yr... now that u know my story, can u give me some HONEST feedback on it, any advice, comments or thoughts or wat should i do next, etc... honest advice will be admired more than modest comments!
Thank you,
Tikiman
stop withdrawing from classes. seriously. they don't have to be all As- if things aren't going well go to the study center at your college, get some extra tutoring, whatever it takes, but having multiple Ws on your transcript is a red flag. freshman year, perhaps a bit more forgivable but this is NOT a habit you want to continue. keep studying hard and remember to take a little time to look around- college shouldn't be all about med school, that's what med school is for. you'll be a better person and a better doctor for it.

m0nkeymanxx said:
Hi adcomm. Thanks for all the wonderful information that you're providing for all of us. I have two question.

How negatively do schools look at reapplicants? If I don’t get in this year, next year will be my third cycle. My first cycle, I had no interviews because of a bad MCAT score. This cycle I had 4 interviews, but my application was in late. I am a little worried because I have a friend who is also a reapplicant this year and has gotten fewer interviews this year than the year before though he applied earlier this year.

I've been out of school for almost 2 yrs now. During two of my interviews the interviewer asked me if i was taking classes or plan on taking classes if i don't get in this year. I think they were asking me because of the length of time i've been away from the books. Do you recommend that i take classes just to show that i am still capable of studying.

Thanks adcomm
from what I have seen reapplicants aren't really trashed that much- they usually ask if the person applied to our school last year, find out what we did with them last year, and the major focus is on "what changed". so, you have to make something change. resubmitting the same application only earlier will not get you substantially better results. have a new MCAT score, some new grades, some exotic experience (or not so exotic, but noble).

I do recommend courses. it's one less thing they (and you) have to worry about when they are considering your application and it also counts as a change in the application. I recommend upper level biology classes. even auditing them can be OK.

Hello adcomm,

how bad do 2 W's look on a transcript? And B's in Orgo Chem? that is , does one still have a shot at med school?

robsuz said:
Hello adcomm,

how bad do 2 W's look on a transcript? And B's in Orgo Chem? that is , does one still have a shot at med school?

Heh... Try a C+ in orgo 2... No W's anyway...

robsuz said:
Hello adcomm,

2Ws might raise an eyebrow if they're late in your career/in the same semester but you will have a chance to explain, it won't kill you.

I think I had a C in general chemistry. Maybe one in calc, too. With a B in ochem you are fine.

adcomm said:
stop withdrawing from classes. seriously. they don't have to be all As- if things aren't going well go to the study center at your college, get some extra tutoring, whatever it takes, but having multiple Ws on your transcript is a red flag. freshman year, perhaps a bit more forgivable but this is NOT a habit you want to continue. keep studying hard and remember to take a little time to look around- college shouldn't be all about med school, that's what med school is for. you'll be a better person and a better doctor for it.

k, first of all, i gotta admire ur honesty as not many ppl i talk to know how to be real.... now as for my opinions on ur comments...u think i want to drop a 5 hr cousrse? or that i like having 9 credit hrs and become a part time student? or that i like feeling dumber than a rock cuz i can't get through this ****** class while i nail my other classes???? NO.. its nothing like that.... i didn't drop it cuz i am scared of bad grades or that i love running away from challenges?... that's not the truth... a big part of my personality loves challenges and the hardships that come with it even when i know im going to get messed up, i still fight! ... I dropped it cuz i was getting an F in it... i mean i was showing continuous improvement in the class but as they say it was, "too little too late"... so i dropped to keep my gpa alive. Also if i had continued on and gotten an F, i would have had to take the course again anyway...im also transferring to another 4 yr univ but that doesn't have much to do with calc either cuz when it comes down to it, i would have taken calc ten times over if that's long how it would take for me to get through it but u see sometimes u gotta choose b/w wat u really want to do (continue on and do ur best even if that's mean an F or D) and wat is best for u (take the W which still looks bad but atleast it won't totally mess up ur gpa)... cuz the truth of the matter is gpa matters in med schools. ... THAT's Y i dropped it!... now all that said n done, wat should i do now:
option 1: take it again in a 4 yr univ
option 2: take it again in a comm college
option 3: FORGET ABT IT (as a pre-med advisor told me so) cuz u can always substitute statistics for calc.

... wat do u mean by "take some time to look around"?

... also if u have any comments (good or bad) on anything else that i said, plz feel free to tell me.
.... p.s. thx! :)

I have another question about withdrawing from classes. I'm a non-traditional applicant. As an undergrad I was never thinking seriously about medical school or any kind of graduate school to tell you the truth. I changed my major several times and when I changed my major I usually withdrew from the classes I didn't need. This wasn't because I couldn't handle the classes. I was getting excellent grades in them but wasn't interested and since I had no long-term grad school goals in mind I just didn't care if I had a few W's on my transcript.

I know W's are never a good thing to have on your record - but given that I have an excellent GPA otherwise (3.9-ish), and all this occurred anywhere from 5-8 years ago, do you think I may be cut a little slack? I know it shows that I was very indecisive as an undergraduate and that will also look bad, but really - I'm a very different person than I was 5-8 years ago. ;-)

Just curious what your thoughts are on this. Also, I think I've found a good way to work this very briefly into my personal statement. Is this a good idea or not? The interviews at my #1 choice school are closed file so I'm not sure I would get to explain my W's in the interviews because the interviewers won't have access to my transcript.

Thanks!

adcomm, risking redundancy, i just wanted to thank you for the "words of wisdom" you've been giving us. it really helps with peace of mind during this whole mess called application.

i just had a quick question. i received disciplinary action from the school for downloading copyrighted material over peer-to-peer networks (kazaa and such) using the school's internet (i live in the dorms). the first offense was in the first month of my freshman year, and i received a warning. the disciplinary action was taken for a second offense that occured in the first month of my sophmore year. as part of the action, i attended ethics seminars and my internet was suspended for a semester. I've finally learned my lesson, but what effect do you think this will have on my application process? should i dwell on it, or just state that i've learned my lesson and i won't do it again?

Adcomm

Can I be your Pimp/Manager, I will keep it neat for you, keep the bad guys away and my reward need only be 10%, huh, what do you say? ;)

tikiman said:
k, first of all, i gotta admire ur honesty as not many ppl i talk to know how to be real.... now as for my opinions on ur comments...u think i want to drop a 5 hr cousrse? or that i like having 9 credit hrs and become a part time student? or that i like feeling dumber than a rock cuz i can't get through this ****** class while i nail my other classes???? NO.. its nothing like that.... i didn't drop it cuz i am scared of bad grades or that i love running away from challenges?... that's not the truth... a big part of my personality loves challenges and the hardships that come with it even when i know im going to get messed up, i still fight! ... I dropped it cuz i was getting an F in it... i mean i was showing continuous improvement in the class but as they say it was, "too little too late"... so i dropped to keep my gpa alive. Also if i had continued on and gotten an F, i would have had to take the course again anyway...im also transferring to another 4 yr univ but that doesn't have much to do with calc either cuz when it comes down to it, i would have taken calc ten times over if that's long how it would take for me to get through it but u see sometimes u gotta choose b/w wat u really want to do (continue on and do ur best even if that's mean an F or D) and wat is best for u (take the W which still looks bad but atleast it won't totally mess up ur gpa)... cuz the truth of the matter is gpa matters in med schools. ... THAT's Y i dropped it!... now all that said n done, wat should i do now:
option 1: take it again in a 4 yr univ
option 2: take it again in a comm college
option 3: FORGET ABT IT (as a pre-med advisor told me so) cuz u can always substitute statistics for calc.

... wat do u mean by "take some time to look around"?

... also if u have any comments (good or bad) on anything else that i said, plz feel free to tell me.
.... p.s. thx! :)

I see this guys posts all over the place. Chill out dude. You're always writing long, incoherent, crazy things that break the flow of otherwise nice threads, like this one.

Hi adcom- thanks for all the advice. I have 2 qs for you:
1). Since we send in our secondaries during late summer/early fall, do adcoms still want us to send in our fall grades when they become available? I'm not worried about my gpa dropping next fall, but I just want to be DONE with the application as soon as possible and not have to keep updating it.
2). Do adcoms care about scholarships like Goldwater, Fulbright, etc...? I'm a Goldwater scholar and I know it won't hurt, but does it really help that much assuming all other parts of the application are decent?
Thanks again!!

oxeye said:
I have another question about withdrawing from classes. I'm a non-traditional applicant. As an undergrad I was never thinking seriously about medical school or any kind of graduate school to tell you the truth. I changed my major several times and when I changed my major I usually withdrew from the classes I didn't need. This wasn't because I couldn't handle the classes. I was getting excellent grades in them but wasn't interested and since I had no long-term grad school goals in mind I just didn't care if I had a few W's on my transcript.

I know W's are never a good thing to have on your record - but given that I have an excellent GPA otherwise (3.9-ish), and all this occurred anywhere from 5-8 years ago, do you think I may be cut a little slack? I know it shows that I was very indecisive as an undergraduate and that will also look bad, but really - I'm a very different person than I was 5-8 years ago. ;-)

Just curious what your thoughts are on this. Also, I think I've found a good way to work this very briefly into my personal statement. Is this a good idea or not? The interviews at my #1 choice school are closed file so I'm not sure I would get to explain my W's in the interviews because the interviewers won't have access to my transcript.

Thanks!
your academics in the last few years are going to be more important than your record 5-8 years ago (ie, yes, you will get slack). the other half of that is important too- one of the first questions that get asked about nontrads is "when is the last time they were in the classroom in any kind of real way?" don't overlook that. your GPA is otherwise fine, if it works to talk about it in your PS that's cool but I don't think you NEED to address it or else.

Status
Not open for further replies.