my semi-solicited advice

Started by adcomm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey adcom, thanks for doing this thread. you have no idea how much you put my mind at ease.

quick question: i was a chemistry student at my school, and i had some bad grades in the fall of my senior year (B+, B, C-).
how should i handle this? do i wait for the interviewer to bring up the grades? if they don't, do i keep quiet about them? should i explain myself in separate letters to the schools?

Thanks!
I'm guessing these grades aren't on your AMCAS? I wouldn't worry about them then. Please avoid Cs in your spring semester so as to avoid any chance of having acceptances revoked!
 
I considered taking post bacc classes starting Jan 15th but feel a better MCAT score and a formal SMP program is a better option.
Your numbers are a bit marginal but I haven't seen the rest of your app. I think that either post-bacc or formal SMP can work for you, but you want to get As. The MCAT retake is less important. Please make sure that your application has plenty of good clinical experience.
 
Hey All!

I was wondering if any one knew how important writing samples are? I am applying for 2007. I have yet to get an interview and I have been rejected from 4 schools (I have applied to 11). My MCAT is 30K (9P, 10B, 11V) GPA 3.670. Yeah I know, a K is really bad. I justed didn't know much about the prompts givin to me.

To the Adcoms, how important to the schools you are at put weight on it?
Could my bad writing sample be holding me up for an interview? Should I retake the MCAT to do better on the writing sample?
K is truly awful, but the way to redeem yourself is by writing a good PS and secondary essays, as well as having decent grades in humanities courses. Don't retake the MCAT for Pete's sake!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why can being fervent about a subspecialty backfire? I have volunteered in psychiatric settings, and both my lab work in biochemistry as well as my thesis research in anthropology has been related to neuroscience, with a mind of psychiatric application. It's definitely what I know I want to do (academic psychiatrist, with a focus on medical anthropology or public health). Are you saying this looks bad, or have I missed the point? I always thought my exploration of the subject area was a boon for applications and particularly for interviews.
Actually, I think being fired up about psychiatry probably earns you a few points. Same thing if you had said rural family practice, as long as you have the experiences to demonstrate why you're interested. Some applicants say they really want to be pediatric neurosurgeons (or whatever) for no apparent reason, and that's bad.
 
Hi Adcoms,

Two questions about grades.

I'm a sophomore. I just got my grades for this semester: C+ in O-Chem. 😱 I got a B in GenChem I and a B- in GenChem II, so downward trend in chemistry thus far. Pretty much everything else is A's; a few B's. What is that C+ going to do to me? Obviously, I'm going to work my butt off to do better in O-Chem II and Biochem to reverse the trend, but I want to know if I've done irrepairable damage.

Secondly, I started college with 28 hours of dual-enrollment coursework from a juco that I did my junior year in high school. My GPA from that was 2.25. I'm doing better in college (I got my priorities straight) and my local GPA is 3.48, but nevertheless, that 28 hours of 2.2 GPA really weighs my cumulative GPA down.

My current stats:
Total GPA: 3.12
Science GPA: 3.27
Local GPA: 3.48
Transfer GPA: 2.25
I'm working at raising those GPAs since I still have time.

Am I right in assuming that Adcoms will notice that my GPA was weighed down by pre-college coursework? Is that something I should address in my personal statement?

Thanks.
Well, and also weighed down by your recent problems in chemistry 🙁
You don't want to dwell on negatives in your PS, but you might spend a sentence or two talking about how the junior college experience helped you grow as a student. I don't think you're done for with those chem grades, but you need to look at why they happened and fix it quick.
 
Dear Adcoms,

I just graduated two quarters early from college. I wasn't completely certain I would do this at the time I first applied, so this information did not go on my applications. Should I bring up the fact that I've graduated at interviews? Does it matter? I've heard that med schools look unfavorably upon students who don't take the full 4 yrs of undergrad... Also, in either case, I'm afraid they will think me dishonest to have not updated the schools as soon as I knew I was going to graduate...🙁

Also, my plan for the next 6 months is to take a breather from schooling, continue interviewing, and also work some non-medical related part-time jobs (for example I want to volunteer at a preschool because I love kids and would go into teaching if not for the fact that I want to be a doctor even more, maybe also just a job at the supermarket or whatnot).
Do you think this will make me seem lazy and will hurt my chances of being admitted?

Thank you so much for your advice!!!
 
I am starting the second semester of my sophomore year in premed. I am a bio major with a GPA of about 3.8, so I don't think grades or the MCAT will be a problem for me. The problem is that the only extracurriculars I have so far are some physician shadowing and member of one club. If I start this semester and get more volunteer and clinical experience, will this still hinder my chances of getting into med school?
 
I am starting the second semester of my sophomore year in premed. I am a bio major with a GPA of about 3.8, so I don't think grades or the MCAT will be a problem for me. The problem is that the only extracurriculars I have so far are some physician shadowing and member of one club. If I start this semester and get more volunteer and clinical experience, will this still hinder my chances of getting into med school?
 
Hey Adcomm's,
I was just wonderding if you could give me any advice for this current cycle to improve my file. My application is pretty solid except for one thing. My first MCAT score was a 29P (10P, 9V, 10B) and took it again and got a 31N with 12's in the sciences and a 7 in verbal. GPA is about 3.7 so I'm thinking that the 7 in verbal is holding me back from many interviews. I've had one interview out-of-state at Indiana but havent heard back from them. Any advice to get the attention of schools? Thanks for any help.
 
Hey Adcomm's,
I was just wonderding if you could give me any advice for this current cycle to improve my file. My application is pretty solid except for one thing. My first MCAT score was a 29P (10P, 9V, 10B) and took it again and got a 31N with 12's in the sciences and a 7 in verbal. GPA is about 3.7 so I'm thinking that the 7 in verbal is holding me back from many interviews. I've had one interview out-of-state at Indiana but havent heard back from them. Any advice to get the attention of schools? Thanks for any help.

(I'm not an adcom)

7 is about the bare minimum. Then again there are people with high MCATs and GPAs who still haven't heard anything, so it may just be random. Just be patient and prep for interviews so you aren't caught off guard when you get another one. Good luck.
 
just a side note to my above post, my first MCAT was August 2005, and the retake was April 2006, so ive been complete at most schools since the end of August/beginning of September.
 
Dear Adcoms,
I am taking an internship next semester through the chaplain's office at a nearby hospital. I get a grade and four hours worth of credit for the internship. What I actually do is spend three hours a week playing the role as a chaplain, talking with patients about anything and everything. The students meet once a week, and we take a transcript with our conversations with patients and we critique each other.

My question is what would the internship qualify as? Clinical Experience? Volunteer Hours?

Thanks so much. 😀
 
Hi, thank you so much for all your help here, its been a lifesaver.
I have two questions.
1. My grades are mostly As, with 1-2 Bs and I had a C in Organic Chem I but I retook it and made an A. The problem is that I can't drop the old grade for the new one. So both are on my transcript. My question is...how will this reflect on me?
2. I have the option of graduating a semester early, finishing all my premed requirements, my major and my minor requirements. I'd miss out on one class I wanted to take, but its not that big a deal. But is this a good idea for premeds or is it not looked favorably upon?

Thanks so much!
 
Adcom -

I have recently decided to pursue medical school (within the last year and a half). My GPA has been low 3.2 ish with low work loads and now sits at a 3.5. Because I wanted to make sure that I wanted to go to medical school, I took mostly 12 credits (3 classes) a quarter, and 16 credits for many less. My cumulative GPA is a 3.48 and my BCPM gpa is about a 3.7. I'm a bit worried about how my class load will affect how the adcom perceives me, but the last couple quarters I was unable to take full loads due to unfulfilled pre-reqs. I have been working all through college. Right now I am thinking of attending school part time (2 classes) just for next quarter, but still working and volunteering, so that I can do wonderful on the MCAT. Is this not a good idea? I'm extremely confident that by taking only 2 classes, I will really do well on the MCAT. I realize some of my class loads are lower than average, and this coming quarter is going to be super low (2 classes), but I have had a couple quarters of 4-5 classes getting mostly A's (around a 3.7 GPA). My GPA is a sharp upward trend and I've only have gotten one B+ in the past year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Adcom,

I'm just curious how important seniority is for letters of recommendation. For example, a letter of recommendation from a staff surgeon versus that of a chair of a department at the medical school that you're doing research at? Is the difference significant enough to warrant curbing one's developing undergraduate intellectual inclinations a little?
 
Hello adcoms,

Major props and thanks to taking time away from your med studies to help us out, you're all my heroes 😀.

I just have a very general question that I hope answers someone else's question.

I'm currently a 4th year and I have a semester left (maybe two), i got about a 3.6 GPA with a upward trend, 1 1/2 year lab research, worked at a free clinic for about a year and a half and tutored ochem for a few years and did crew for 2 years. I plan to take about 1-2 years off from college to work (pay back my bills, get $$ to apply) probably in biotech or in a research lab and continue to volunteer at the clinic I volutneer at and take the MCAT.

My question is, what do adcoms look for during the time off? I know taking time off is very common for all premeds now a days and I wanted to know, what are some things premeds should keep in mind when spending time off away from college before they apply? This time is precious and aside from growing up and maturing, what else should the time off accomplish?

Thanks a lot in advance. I heart you all adcoms ! 😀
 
I have heard rumors about distance degrees saying they are essentially worthless when applying to medical school. I have posted under Nontraditional students with the following:

I don't have any help for my pre-med studies (advisor) so I thought I would look for help on here. I am in the Navy (active duty enlisted) Nuclear Power Program and I am extremely interested in going to medical school in Fall 2009. Currently, I have completed two bachelor degrees from Excelsior College (BS Business) and Thomas Edison State College (BS Nuclear Eng Tech) and I am working on a Master in Arts of Liberal Studies from the University of Oklahoma. These degrees probably seem far fetched compared to most pre-med students' studies but I wanted to take advantage of every academic opportunity I had while in the military. I am presently completing my pre-med science requirements at a local community college in which I have all A's so far. I chose a CC due to my limited funds and freedom in my schedule along with the lack of the 4 year university offerings in the area. I don't have much time to do any volunteering anymore but I recieved an award for 200 hours of volunteering in 2004. Other than these things, I read alot of medical books in the little free time I have. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for me. Maybe a little advice on how I should attack my studies or whether I am making a bad choice going to a CC for the requirements. I also am curious about interview timeframes during the year (month they usually happen) so that I can try to plan around that in 2008. Any help would be great and thankyou ahead of time if you post something here for me. Also I am going to be 27 when entering school! Is that a BAD thing????

Please let me know what you think about my academic history regarding these types of degrees and my chances at being admitted. I just have the opinion that treating these degrees negatively seems wrong. It doesnt take a classroom to learn any of these requirements. It really only takes dedication and hard work. To tell someone, essentially, that there hard work over the years was all for nothing, is a little unjustified. Any comments about this would help me greatly. Thanks.
 
Dear adcomm,
I am on the waiting list for one school, have an interview in Feb and am still waiting on responses from 3 schools. My MCAT score is the weakest part of my application. Do you think I should start studying for it again in case I don't get it? Thanks!
 
Hi Adcom's,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions of ours.

I'm curious, at your schools, is there such a thing as "interviewing for the waitlist"? If so, when does it begin?

I appreciate your help.
 
Adcomms,

Thanks for answering our questions. It's great to see how the real guys think.

I'm interested in reapplying in 2007. I applied in 2005 and was only interviewed at 1 school. My question mainly is whether or not I should retake the MCAT.

I graduated from undergrad with a 3.31 cumulative and 3.32 BCPM. When I applied in 2005 it was a 3.1 cumulative and 3.1 BCPM. My MCAT is a 31P, 11 VR, 10 BS and PS. I only took it once, in April of 2005.

I went on to graduate school and am pursuing a MS in biomedical studies. So far I have a 4.0 after just one semester. I'll be researching with a plant biologist that makes medically-relevant proteins for drug therapy or vaccination. I do not expect to get published. I also TA undergraduate biology labs, 15 hrs/wk.

As far as clinical experience, I've been an EMT-B for 4+ years and have a combined 2.5 years of clinical experience, including 12 months working full or part time in a surgical ICU. I haven't held a medical job since the summer after my sophomore year.

I spoke to my premed adviser today. He told me I should NOT retake the MCAT as 31 is "good enough," but that I should get new work experience to show I'm still interested. He said that a 34 or 35 wouldn't really be beneficial over a 31, but if I messed up and got a 29 it would really hurt.

Will my 31P with my work experience, current upward trend in GPA, graduate work, and research experience be "good enough" for a good shot at an interview or would getting my MCAT up help significantly? I'm looking at going to schools out of state, especially in the Tennessee area.

Thanks a lot for any advice or input.
 
Quick question...how much do traditionally "harder" majors weigh in when considering GPAs? For instance, are engineering applicants cut a little slack for their GPA because of a traditionally harder course load? I have heard this but I'm not sure if it is significant or not.
 
Hi,
I am also really curious about letters of recommendation. In your experience, are letters in which the applicant is portrayed in a negative or neutral light common?
There's a sort of code for neutral that reads "strongly recommend." Most neutral letters are from people who don't know you well, which leads to your second question:
my pre-med science classes were very very large and I did not get to know the professors well. Would a letter from a statistics professor count (the course was under Psychology, but it was a statistics class)? ...I just don't know what to do about these science LoR...
Statistics should be fine as a science. Often the big science class letters are just like "so and so ranked 14th out of 312 in my class." One thing you might try is to set up a meeting where you can bring your application and CV and discuss your plans. If you can impress the prof with your sincerity, you might get a more effective letter.
One more thing: the websites of some of these med schools asking for science LoF just say "science professor". Since some don't specify that I should have been in their class, would a professor at a med school that I shadow in clinic count?
I think they probably mean someone you have had for class.
 
Dear Adcomms;

I am med school hopeful but had a question:

I am partially deaf (I have hearing aids they are in the ear hearing aids) and from a "poor" family which my parents haven't graduated from college. Should these "facts" be brought up in any of my applications/interviews? Or should I just down play them?
I don't think you should bring up a physical impairment, unless it's a big part of your motivation for medicine. On the other hand, at least at my school, economically disadvantaged applicants (we call them bootstrappers) get a real boost. Especially those who are first generation college.
 
Dear Adcom,

I am a first-time med school applicant from a small liberal arts college in central illinois. I was wondering what are the chances of me getting an interview and acceptance if I applied broadly but late in the cycle. I got AMCAS verified on 12/12. Most of the schools I applied to have MCAT averages of 28-31. My stats are as follows:

MCAT: 29Q - 6v 10p 13b
GPA: bcpm 3.98 ao 3.75 cum 3.92 (chem major)
ECs: cancer research (no publication), internship in the philippines, intramural sports, volunteering, clinical employment, cultural presentations

Having ESL most likely affected my VR performance. I am already registered to retake the MCAT late May to improve my VR and overall score, in case I fail to get an acceptance this cycle. MY QUESTION: Are interviews and acceptances still possible for someone like me who have mediocre stats and applied late in the cycle?
Your verbal score will probably cut you out of some automatic screens. Other than that, your app looks OK from what you're saying.
 
Hello! I am a little confused about the URM "status" and maybe you will be able to help me by answering a question.
There is no such thing as URM status. There is no such thing as a URM box. Report your ethnicity as it is. If you mean the "Underserved" box on the AMCAS, I don't think that has anything specifically to do with ethnicity any more. Some of our successful applicants have been very white and checked that box due to being from rural areas, etc.
I am Brazilian (born and raised there) and I have been working as a medical interpreter for the past 6 years (full time). As far as I know, Brazilians are not considered Hispanics (after all, we were colonized by Portugal, not Spain), but we are definitely Latino. The AMCAS does not clearly mention that latinos are indeed URMs, they mention Mexican American, etc. The number of Brazilian immigrants (at least here in Boston) has been increasing exponentially, and at the community health centers and hospitals I work at, Brazilian patients are considered underprivileged minority.

I would like to be accurate in my application, so it is important for me to know if I can safely "check the URM box" or not. What are your thoughts on this? Also, will the fact that I speak fluent Portuguese and Spanish help my application?
Yes, that would help at my school.
 
I recently interviewed at a school and believe that my application has not had its final review by the admissions committee (to decide acceptance/wait list/rejection, etc). Would it be proper or useful to send a letter of interest along with an update of my fall semester grades (4.0 - 16 credits of challenging coursework including advanced sciences)?
Thanks
Of course it would be helpful.
 
Dear Adcoms,

I just graduated two quarters early from college. I wasn't completely certain I would do this at the time I first applied, so this information did not go on my applications. Should I bring up the fact that I've graduated at interviews? Does it matter? I've heard that med schools look unfavorably upon students who don't take the full 4 yrs of undergrad... Also, in either case, I'm afraid they will think me dishonest to have not updated the schools as soon as I knew I was going to graduate...🙁
It's when people DON'T graduate from college that is frowned on, not graduating early.
Also, my plan for the next 6 months is to take a breather from schooling, continue interviewing, and also work some non-medical related part-time jobs (for example I want to volunteer at a preschool because I love kids and would go into teaching if not for the fact that I want to be a doctor even more, maybe also just a job at the supermarket or whatnot).
Do you think this will make me seem lazy and will hurt my chances of being admitted?
Sounds like a good plan to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting the second semester of my sophomore year in premed. I am a bio major with a GPA of about 3.8, so I don't think grades or the MCAT will be a problem for me. The problem is that the only extracurriculars I have so far are some physician shadowing and member of one club. If I start this semester and get more volunteer and clinical experience, will this still hinder my chances of getting into med school?
A) a lot of 3.8 GPA folks can't break 30 on the MCAT. I'm just saying 😉
B) You want at least 200-300 hours of clinical exposure (hospital volunteering, etc.)
 
Hey Adcomm's,
I was just wonderding if you could give me any advice for this current cycle to improve my file. My application is pretty solid except for one thing. My first MCAT score was a 29P (10P, 9V, 10B) and took it again and got a 31N with 12's in the sciences and a 7 in verbal. GPA is about 3.7 so I'm thinking that the 7 in verbal is holding me back from many interviews. I've had one interview out-of-state at Indiana but havent heard back from them. Any advice to get the attention of schools? Thanks for any help.
7 is kinda low, but probably makes most screens that may exist. I don't know what the problem is. What do you mean by "pretty solid?"
 
Dear Adcoms,
I am taking an internship next semester through the chaplain's office at a nearby hospital. I get a grade and four hours worth of credit for the internship. What I actually do is spend three hours a week playing the role as a chaplain, talking with patients about anything and everything. The students meet once a week, and we take a transcript with our conversations with patients and we critique each other.

My question is what would the internship qualify as? Clinical Experience? Volunteer Hours?

Thanks so much. 😀
That sounds like a really cool experience. It's a course, I suppose, rather than an activity, but I guess I would list it as a clinical experience so as to be able to describe it.
 
Hi, thank you so much for all your help here, its been a lifesaver.
I have two questions.
1. My grades are mostly As, with 1-2 Bs and I had a C in Organic Chem I but I retook it and made an A. The problem is that I can't drop the old grade for the new one. So both are on my transcript. My question is...how will this reflect on me?
First, the C will reduce your GPA somewhat. Second, I am impressed that you found success the second time around.
2. I have the option of graduating a semester early, finishing all my premed requirements, my major and my minor requirements. I'd miss out on one class I wanted to take, but its not that big a deal. But is this a good idea for premeds or is it not looked favorably upon?
Makes no difference.
 
I've heard that age really matters when applying to med school 🙁 .

I'll be a junior (19 yrs old) when I apply and get interviews and such...
is this a problem?
 
I've heard that age really matters when applying to med school 🙁 .

I'll be a junior (19 yrs old) when I apply and get interviews and such...
is this a problem?
 
I really messed up my intro premed classes during freshman year - C+ in Chem I, Physics I, and Bio I...but I have a very science/math heavy courseload and have done very well in recent, upper-level science courses (A's in orgo I/II, cell bio/biochem, anatomy, and lots of bioengineering courses). I also did well on the science portions of the MCAT (13 in bio, 14 phys). My GPA freshman year was a 2.8, but my most recent semester of junior year was a 3.7, so I have an upward trend.

My current science and overall GPA stands at a 3.2, possibly 3.3 by application time. How much will the bad grades of freshman year classes hurt me, considering the recent good grades in science courses and the MCAT?
 
i know that i've been hearing alot about how a bad mcat will not sink you and how the mcat is only a piece of the plethora of information the admissions committee uses to evaluate the person, but how much does a good gpa/mcat really help (3.8/38)? is there such a thing as a sure-thing (as long as i dont have felonies or am completely weird)?
 
7 is kinda low, but probably makes most screens that may exist. I don't know what the problem is. What do you mean by "pretty solid?"

by pretty solid, i mean to say i have quite a few activities (volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.) and i felt as though my personal statement was good too based on most of my peers' remarks. do you think its a good idea to start writing letters of interest at this time. there really hasnt been anything new to add to my file besides the fact that ive continued doing what i stated on my AMCAS. thanks.
 
Dear Adcom,

My boyfriend and I are applying to med schools together. We both are asian and go to a well-known and extremely respected undergrad college. He has about a 3.5 gpa and I have about a 3.4 and we both have MCAT scores well over 35. However, our success with the top 30 medical schools has left a lot to be desired. Do you have any suggestions for what we might be able to do to get a few of the last remaining interviews? Does writing letters, etc. help or is it already too late...? Thanks!
 
In regards to LOR's, what happens if someone applies and doesn't get accepted. Can they resend those LOR's the next cycle, or is it expected you come up with a new batch each time?
 
Dear Adcomm,

I've been reading through a lot of these posts, and so far I can't quite find an answer to my questions, so here goes.

I am a strong applicant in terms of statistics:
40 MCAT, 3.94 GPA, >100 Hours volunteering in a hospital, almost 2 years of research, and some very limited community service.

I have been lucky enough to have had 7 interviews already this session, but I've already been rejected (both post-interview and without interview) from the schools which are at the bottom of my list in terms of difficulty of gaining acceptance.
For the most part, I thought that my interviews had went well.
However, even though I have an extremely strong interest in becomming a doctor, I feel that I have had trouble conveying this in the interviews.

Is it possilbe that these schools are rejecting me because I haven't shown strong interest, and is this a likely sign that I have little chance at the upper-tier schools which haven't decided on me yet?

Secondly, even though med schools claim that they aren't evaluating you when you aren't in an interview, are they? And if so, isn't there something morally wrong with that?

Thanks for your help
 
Dear Adcom,

I ended up applying to over 20 schools, my stats aren't that amazing (28 first time MCAT/32 second 3.7 overall gpa and 3.3 science gpa). In an effort not to go insane and to spread out the secondary apps, I ended up submitting them close to their deadlines. I now have 1 rejection and 1 waitlist (no interview). Am I completely out of luck? Should I send a letter of intent to the waitlist school even though I didn't get an interview? Should I just put all of my focus into getting into a caribbean school at this point?

Feverishly,
otocon
 
How come some threads are bold while others are not? Sometimes the most current thread is not bold.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is... I have been waitlisted or placed on hold at several med schools and have not interviewed there. Is it appropriate to send an LOI before an interview or only if waitlisted after an interview?
 
How come some threads are bold while others are not? Sometimes the most current thread is not bold.

If you are logged in, bolded threads are ones you haven't seen or clicked on before, at least since the last post. Unbolded threads, even if they are most recent, are ones you have already seen.
 
Adcom -

I have recently decided to pursue medical school (within the last year and a half). My GPA has been low 3.2 ish with low work loads and now sits at a 3.5. Because I wanted to make sure that I wanted to go to medical school, I took mostly 12 credits (3 classes) a quarter, and 16 credits for many less. My cumulative GPA is a 3.48 and my BCPM gpa is about a 3.7. I'm a bit worried about how my class load will affect how the adcom perceives me, but the last couple quarters I was unable to take full loads due to unfulfilled pre-reqs. I have been working all through college. Right now I am thinking of attending school part time (2 classes) just for next quarter, but still working and volunteering, so that I can do wonderful on the MCAT. Is this not a good idea? I'm extremely confident that by taking only 2 classes, I will really do well on the MCAT. I realize some of my class loads are lower than average, and this coming quarter is going to be super low (2 classes), but I have had a couple quarters of 4-5 classes getting mostly A's (around a 3.7 GPA). My GPA is a sharp upward trend and I've only have gotten one B+ in the past year.
I don't think taking a lighter course load will be particularly noticeable if you don't draw attention to it. Also, working through school is a legitimate explanation for that, and gets much respect in my committee. So long as the rest of your app is strong (I'm glad you're still volunteering) you should be fine.
 
Adcom,

I'm just curious how important seniority is for letters of recommendation. For example, a letter of recommendation from a staff surgeon versus that of a chair of a department at the medical school that you're doing research at? Is the difference significant enough to warrant curbing one's developing undergraduate intellectual inclinations a little?
A recommendation is best if it's from someone who knows you and your work. The committee is a diverse body, and even a really big name chair is unlikely to be recognized by more than one or two members (the people in that field, e.g.). I would take developing the intellectual inclinations over getting the bigger name.
 
My question is, what do adcoms look for during the time off? I know taking time off is very common for all premeds now a days and I wanted to know, what are some things premeds should keep in mind when spending time off away from college before they apply? This time is precious and aside from growing up and maturing, what else should the time off accomplish?
Your plan sounds good as does your application. If I were you, I would try to get a position in research that might lead to publication. Definitely continue to get more clinical exposure and/or volunteer experience, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.