My Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OoShimmeroO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
* I've worked in a pharmacy setting as a clerk for 2 years
* I held an cabinet position at the pharmacy society at my school
* I graduated this summer with a BS
* I'm applying to pharmacy school right now
* I have the year off
* Recently, I quit my job at the pharmacy b/c i get paid $7.50/hr

I want to enjoy this year and buy a lot of cute clothes and I'm hoping an increase in cash flow will help me acheive this goal. But the thing is, I'm worried about my pharm school interivews. Will they look down upon me b/c I left pharmacy for a job that pays $14/hr and allows me to utilize my degree? Will they contact my former manager and ask about me? I'm not a greedy person it's just that I've been a starving college student for 5 years and I feel like I need a change.

Members don't see this ad.

OoShimmeroO said:
* I've worked in a pharmacy setting as a clerk for 2 years
* I held an cabinet position at the pharmacy society at my school
* I graduated this summer with a BS
* I'm applying to pharmacy school right now
* I have the year off
* Recently, I quit my job at the pharmacy b/c i get paid $7.50/hr

I want to enjoy this year and buy a lot of cute clothes and I'm hoping an increase in cash flow will help me acheive this goal. But the thing is, I'm worried about my pharm school interivews. Will they look down upon me b/c I left pharmacy for a job that pays $14/hr and allows me to utilize my degree? Will they contact my former manager and ask about me? I'm not a greedy person it's just that I've been a starving college student for 5 years and I feel like I need a change.

You sound like the rest of us starving college students :) No way to get a raise at your pharmacy? Walgreen's pays $10.75 (in San Jose) for a pharmacy typist (clerk that can type new scripts) & $13.75+ for a tech.

I asked the admissions counselor at UOP about decreasing my hours & she said after two years of experience, I can quit w/out her thinking "why?" or "whats going on?" You can always explain the situation as branching out and exploring new opportunities in your field. :D As long as you're using your year off wisely, I see no reason to fret :)

I don't see why it would hurt you at all. The whole point of getting experience before you apply to Pharm school is to see if it is the type of job you want to do. If you worked there 2 full years then that is plenty of experience if you ask me. They will understand if you needed to find a job to make more income. I wouldn't sweat it a bit.