My situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladifantasy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's January already and I still haven't received any acceptance letters yet. Well, here's my story... Around Oct., I applied to UF, Nova, LECOM Bradenton, PBA, and South Univ. Then within a few weeks or less, I received interview offers from Nova, LECOM Bradenton, South, and then later PBA. Unfortunately, after weeks and months of waiting, I found out that I got waitlisted at Nova, South, PBA, and LECOM Bradenton. Although I was extremely discouraged and depressed, I pushed myself back up and tried my best to apply to more schools. So around Christmas time, I applied to LECOM Erie, Midwestern Glendale, Harding, and Mercer. So far, I just received interview offers from Midwestern and Harding... and one rejection letter from LECOM Erie. This is my third year applying and I really don't want to reapply again next year. My stats are as follows:
PharmCAS OGPA: 3.22
PharmCAS SGPA: 2.93
PCAT: taken in Aug 07 -- 80 percentile
B.S. in Biology (May 2007)
Currently working at Walgreens full time and retaking some classes at a community college. Just got certified at the beginning of Jan.
So my question is... what can I do to increase my chances of getting pulled off of the alternate list for the schools that I got waitlisted at? Write them a letter? I don't know what to do. But I know that they hate students calling their office frequently, so I'm avoiding that. Also, should I try to apply to more schools now (for the schools with March deadlines)? Or should I just concentrate on my upcoming interviews? Somehow I have a feeling that I will get waitlisted at those schools as well. I'm so stressed out about it. I don't know what is wrong with me... I thought I nailed every interview that I was at. Is it because of my GPA? I'm so confused! If I don't get in this year, then I really don't know what to do next year.... :(

Members don't see this ad.

So it's January already and I still haven't received any acceptance letters yet. Well, here's my story... Around Oct., I applied to UF, Nova, LECOM Bradenton, PBA, and South Univ. Then within a few weeks or less, I received interview offers from Nova, LECOM Bradenton, South, and then later PBA. Unfortunately, after weeks and months of waiting, I found out that I got waitlisted at Nova, South, PBA, and LECOM Bradenton. Although I was extremely discouraged and depressed, I pushed myself back up and tried my best to apply to more schools. So around Christmas time, I applied to LECOM Erie, Midwestern Glendale, Harding, and Mercer. So far, I just received interview offers from Midwestern and Harding... and one rejection letter from LECOM Erie. This is my third year applying and I really don't want to reapply again next year. My stats are as follows:
Currently working at Walgreens full time and retaking some classes at a community college. Just got certified at the beginning of Jan.
So my question is... what can I do to increase my chances of getting pulled off of the alternate list for the schools that I got waitlisted at? Write them a letter? I don't know what to do. But I know that they hate students calling their office frequently, so I'm avoiding that. Also, should I try to apply to more schools now (for the schools with March deadlines)? Or should I just concentrate on my upcoming interviews? Somehow I have a feeling that I will get waitlisted at those schools as well. I'm so stressed out about it. I don't know what is wrong with me... I thought I nailed every interview that I was at. Is it because of my GPA? I'm so confused! If I don't get in this year, then I really don't know what to do next year.... :(

If it doesn'thappen for you this year, then next year you need to have something extra to 'fatten' your application (additional classes, better grades, whatever). You might also want to choose one school where you really, REALLY want to go, like your in-state public institution, and apply there Early Decision. Your stats are decent but not spectacular, so if you choose to go the ED route, you're telling the school "I'm interested enough to commit to YOU, which means that if you accept me, you won't have to put me in an 'iffy' category whether I'll attend or not." Then if you don't get in on ED, you can re-apply to those other schools starting in October or so.

I would really work hard on selling yourself and your next two interviews. You're GPA is on the low side but otherwise you have a lot of good things going for you. When you go to your next interviews let your passion for pharmacy and your hunger to be a pharmacist really come out. Also research those schools and get an idea of what their programs are like and then adjust your interview answers to take what the school wants into consideration.

I'll give you an example I applied and was accepted at both South and St John Fisher. My numbers and stuff was pretty good, but I was told by St John Fisher that your GPA, eLORS, etc get you the interview, but whether they accept you or not has a lot to do with how you perform in the interview. Personally I'm very passionate about being a pharmacist and having a career that helps others. I let this come through in my interviews and I think that's why I got into both schools. So to answer your question really focus on your upcoming interview and nail them. you have a bachelors so you're a bit older like me and play to your maturity and your strengths.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll get to pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say continue applying to other schools. The more schools you apply to the greater the chance of being accepted. You have similar stats as me and applied to pharm school about the same time as me. SO, if I was able to get in this year, you can do.

I think what most schools look for is how did you have tried to make yourself a better candidate (ie. taking upper division classes, working as a tech, volunteering etc). Remember that if you do get a rejection letter, call the school and ask why you didn't get in so that you know what area to improve in and reappy again.

Getting into Pharm school is very competitive but if that is what you want to do, you can't let a rejection letter crush your dreams. G'luck.

You can still apply to Northstate (deadline April) , Touro (deadline Feb?), Sullivan (deadline 1/31), Harding, Jefferson that just a few of the schools.

Ladifantasy,

I had similar grades when applying to school. I can't make any guarantees, but after applying, wait lists, acceptance and such: here is my view on applications.

Many schools are not looking at the numbers as harshly IF you have a well rounded application. What does this mean?

1. Are you letters of recommendation as strong as they could be?

2. Pharmacy experience

3. Extracurricular activities

4. A personal statement that truly expresses your aspirations and seems in line with what a pharmacist should be like.

Don't forget UB!

Also, don't get down on yourself for a wait list spot. Many schools put already interviewed candidates on a wait list until they've gotten all the applications and such. It may not be the curse you think it is.

I would apply to more school immediately to increase your pool of possible acceptances. Also, it's very important to write letters of interest to express your dedication to schools where you got wait listed. You can also call those schools to ask about your application and express your interest. I know at some schools, they keep a a record of all wait listed applicants and when they have spots open, they bump those people who have contacted them with their continued interest.

You have a very good chance of getting off the waitlist at South. I went to the interview and that is what they told me. Being on the waitlist does not equal rejection! If I were you, I would work on my interview skills, because that is probably where you were weak in. Were you able to communicate why you want to be a pharmacist? Were you enthusiastic? Did you talk about extracurricular activities or work? Whatever you do, don't just wait for them to ask you questions and then just answer them in one sentence. Really elaborate. Now, it's still not to late to apply to some schools so I would apply to them ASAP because you don't want to wait another year! If you don't get in this cycle, retake the PCAT and get a better score. I would aim for higher, like in the 90s.