swampgator04

student
Nov 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Some will laugh at this question but for those who want to help me please answer.
GPA 2.5 (may go up, but not planning on much)
have not taken the mcat yet
I have adhd and the whole school thing is tough, the low gpa comes from the fails i have on my transcript. How do schools look at this kind of thing? I am familiar with what many will say but are there any out there that take chances?

dtrack22

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Podiatrist
2.5 is getting to the point where a 35 MCAT probably wouldn't offset it. And that's beside the fact that your GPA suggests your MCAT would be below average as well.

So the short answer is probably not. If you really want to go into medicine/podiatry, I would say you have to take some post-bac courses...and do well.

If you do decide to go for it, take the MCAT, and apply make sure you take meds before sitting for the MCAT. Seriously, a 5 hour exam is tough enough without some sort of LD.

bonvivant07

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
u have to ask urself if this is what you really want to do. it doesn't get easier than undergrad. In fact it will be harder.

Do you want to stay up nights studying for those exams? U know it is just like med school. You are going to be trained for surgery after all!

So just make sure u really want it rather than u suddenly realize u have no shot at med/dental/pharm school and be like oh hey I can do Pod school because the requirements are less. That is an illusion. Pod will be a crazy hard field.

Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
Honestly speaking, if you can't make more than a 2.5 GPA in college you will be hard pressed to make it through the Podiatry curriculum. It has been done, but not by many. The last thing you want to do is end up with tens of thousands of dollars of debt only to not make it and owe all that money back.

Follow your dreams, but be realistic about them as well.

Apr 18, 2010
The Westside
Status
Podiatry Student
Reality: Most schools will not interview early in the game with you if your GPA <2.7 or mcat <18. Schools like to believe they an do better than that. Again, I said most, not all. However....

Step 1: TAKE mcat and see if you get a high mark. (>21)
Step 2: Try to Get that GPA >2.7
Step 3: Call the schools and simply ask about your situation. No need to waste application money on schools that will just say no.
Step 4: Apply. You are more likely to get accepted somewhere than not get accepted at all. Truth is there are probably more seats than qualified applicants. Someone may take a chance on you even with the 2.5 if the school can't fill those seats. Especially if MCAT >21.

Sep 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I agree with the post above.
I am in the same situation with low gpa but I am studying hard for mcat for almost 5 months now and hoping to get above average on Jan test so school can see some sort of sincerity.
Low cgpa doesn't mean you can't get into school but you have to show somehow that you can take load of podiatry school curriculum either with uptrend gpa or good mcat.

D

dyk343

I disagree. Get a 21 and a 2.75 gpa for interviews. Even if you meet these requirements it does not mean you will get one. But that is usually about the cut off line. Higher gpa can mean lower MCAT and vice versa.

Nov 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Have you tried retaking any classes? You might be able to replace some of the bad grades with new ones or at least mask over them with more classes to slowly bring up your GPA. You can also show that you have a lot going on outside of the classroom to recieve a little GPA forgiveness. (clubs, sports, community service, lab research, etc...)