My stats are average for the school I am attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted my spot at UCLA, turning down a few other schools that I also loved.

I am very excited to attend UCLA, but I am concerned that my DAT scores are ~ the average stats for the school (DAT 23/23, GPA 3.95). I know that we can't all be at the top of the curve, but do you think that those who come in with average stats for a dental school class struggle more or face an uphill battle than those who are above average? I understand that my DAT scores are higher than the national average, and I am not trying to get people to blow smoke my way. I am just wondering if / how strongly your DAT scores in comparison to the school stats translate to how you will do in dental school. For those who are not aware, UCLA is P/F/H.

Any personal experiences with this, at any school? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I've spoken with current students and dentists who have both told me undergrad performance doesn't mean much.

You'll be fine. Just like everything else in life, you get out what you put in

Reactions: 5 users
An Admissions Committee consisting of experienced Dentists and Professors chose you. Trust their decision! And of course, strive to reach your highest potential once you're in Dental School ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How well you do on the DAT has no comparison to how you'll do in dental school. The DAT is (hopefully) a one-time test that you study a couple months for- it's a sprint. Dental school is a marathon- it's a long four years. There's no really telling just how well you'll do until you actually start. And because of this reason, there's no use worrying :)

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks everyone. Good perspectives. Just nervous, though excited!

Incoming stats don’t mean anything.

Your Dat might be average to UCLA, but your GPA is above average. I feel the GPA represents you as a student more than just a test!
Congratulations on getting into UCLA. Now be proud of that and don't doubt yourself or feel less than others.

When I was a kid, I got accepted at a school for smart people, but I didn't get in the first round, I got into that school the second round and I always felt I am inferior to the other students because of that. The students there didn't treat me as equal too. People always said I am smart but I consider myself an average!

When I came to the US, I did so well on all my classes and got all A's. I was awarded at my major and all that even though English is my second language and I lost some years before I could come here.

So yeah, don't be like me

Don't screw yourself over... OK!!!!!!

Don't feel like you are less than others, you will do less if you feel you are less than others!

Be proud of yourself and your achievements!

Reactions: 1 users
How well you do at UCLA (and other universities) has less to do with your incoming stats and more on the connections you have and form while you are there. Even though they are H/P/MP/NP system, they still rank you very subjectively.

Reactions: 1 user
I accepted my spot at UCLA, turning down a few other schools that I also loved.

I am very excited to attend UCLA, but I am concerned that my DAT scores are ~ the average stats for the school (DAT 23/23, GPA 3.95). I know that we can't all be at the top of the curve, but do you think that those who come in with average stats for a dental school class struggle more or face an uphill battle than those who are above average? I understand that my DAT scores are higher than the national average, and I am not trying to get people to blow smoke my way. I am just wondering if / how strongly your DAT scores in comparison to the school stats translate to how you will do in dental school. For those who are not aware, UCLA is P/F/H.

Any personal experiences with this, at any school? Thank you.

Their average GPA is 3.95??? WTF lol

Reactions: 1 user