My Step I Story -- AKA "How I think I might be smart but still got a 207"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letusbedocs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I could have posted this link in another thread, but I just wanted to hash some things about Step I and perhaps let people learn a bit along the way about the nature of the test and what it takes to succeed over that beast.

Well, I always do well on standardized tests. Granted it's not 99th% well -- but I'm a solid 93% percenter. My SAT scores were 1480 and my MCAT scores were 33 (same score in each subject) -- I think both such scores project to about 93% or so (the SAT is a bit higher -- but you're going against the whole population there).

So, I'm not a 1590 SAT or 37 MCAT type guy who was hoping for 255 on STEP I. But, I didn't think I would do as badly as I did. Honestly, I was hoping for a 222 or so and I'd call it a day.

So, needless to say the score shocked me. But, given how I took to medical school I can't see it's too surprising. Here are some myths I feel my experience with the beast tell:

1. Your score is not going to be related to your standardized test taking abilities. As you saw, my SATs and MCATs were decent -- not great -- but decent. However, I was not able to rely upon my test taking skills for STEP I. Unfortunately, you can't really "game" the test -- like finding too many obvious wrong answers/hoping to reason ou the right answer/or even doing something like finishing your Orgo passages first.

I'm a slow, but good reader and I just barely finished each section. That might have been a mistake on STEP I. Unlike the MCAT, this test is forcing to see if you can quickly learn what is and what is not important about a given patient or disease. It's not looking at comprehension as much.

Even the NBME says that the best indicator of performance is your SHELF grades if your school does the shelf. And, I'd say that's freakily correct. I was right below average for my med school (which gets the average on STEP I) on shelf exams and that's how I did upon STEP I. I always said I'd make up for lost ground when it came to STEP I but I was not able to do so.

2. Your score is going to reflect the amount of work you put in for the first two years of medical school. For people about to take the test and have not put in too much work -- I'm sorry. But, really, you start preparing for this test from Day I of Med School. You have to start making associations (like not only what does liver cancer look like but that Hep vaccines are really a cancer preventing vaccine) and you have to start learning what is important quick -- and retain it.

I do fault most medical schools a bit for killing any desire/ability to study for STEP I effectively in this sense. Most of the classes at my American med school were so much about picky facts it was ridiculous. Most tests would not be written to emphasize the important stuff (which was in there still) but to see how much we understood super-specialized lectures. For instance, probably 80% of our tests were like thus: about 30 lectures given by 6-8 different people and each person writing about 3-4 questions per lecture they gave. Now, of their 3-4 questions I'd say about 1-2 were STEP I worthy. The rest just forced you to memorize their stupid lecture notes.

The top schools -- like Penn or NYU at least -- actually let students take STEP I after third year. I can't recommend that approach enough. The test is not entirely clinical but clinical experience does help. Moreover, you knowledge about something like CHF is not just from bullet point lists in a book. You actually goddam saw it, helped diagnose it, and treated it. You remember it more than you'd ever like. People say "But, oh my god that's so far away from when you had Biochem!" But that's bullcrap. You are still going to spend the same four days on that subject you would anyways and there's not THAT MUCH biochem on Step I.

Now, I was able to do well on some tests and I did bad upon some tests. But, I really had to freaking work for the tests I did well on. And that sucked. It really sucked. It meant no other real life than medical school. I like reading, I like being outside, and I like talking to people. But, if I wanted to real well, it was harder to do that stuff.

People in med school do well. But, I'd say 70% of the time such people are robotic specimens of the human race. They are all med school all the time and they work hard to get what they want. In many ways, you want that in your doctor. But, it just was not me.

That said, I was a mediocre student who studied just to stay alive and pass courses -- it was not a studying to UNDERSTAND the material. And, that right there is Strike 1-2-3 for Step I. You can pass the test still -- but to do really well, you have to be able to understand what is going on with the material.

Medicine is so strange like that. Memorization -- tons of it, lots of it -- can get you far enough and takes a lot of discipline to do. But, to excel, you still got to have a bit more left in the tank. I mean, you got to integrate what you're learning. You got to apply it. I have no problem doing that and it's what I'm good at -- but, ug, the memorization part destroys me. And, so, I lost out that aspect of Step I.

3. The Kaplan Q-Bank prognostication is probably accurate. I was hitting 54% for all of Q-Bank -- and I think that projects to my score.

I know you need 60% to hit the American med student average and, for the life of me, I was not able to hit it that number on Q-bank. I'd just forget stuff -- like public health minutiae when I learned something new (again, it's why you need to get to the applying stage well before that 4-6 weeks a school gives you to study for the test).

I did actually do one thing though -- I pounded some Pharm for 2-3 days before the test since I always forget that stuff and I ended up receiving "a very much above average performance" on it for the test -- higher than I was during practice. But, I did bad, really bad, in Cardio and Respiratory which I thought I knew so go figure. IT IS ALWAYS A TRADEOFF IF YOU ENTER THE STUDY PERIOD HAVING A WEAK "FUND" OF KNOWLEDGE

4. Stick to a couple books and know them well. I have a book buying disease and it killed me. Honestly, the Kaplan books/BRS Path/First Aid and Q-Bank are enough to destroy that test. You really must do Q-Bank and do it right I feel though (understand what you got wrong and take the test in sets of 50 from different subject every once in a while).

5. If you want to destroy the test -- I'm talking ENT level destroy -- be a robot. Forget knowing about the world or what's going on it. Forget trying to romance a lady and really trying to get to know her and be in a relationship that is more than sex and convenience. Forget trying to be involved in your society or school organizations. Forget trying to read for pleasure. Forget tyring to work on your public speaking. Forget trying to keep up closely with friends from undergrad. Forget all that. For most of us, who by the very definition of how the IQ scale is determined (105 average, standard deviation of 15 right?) -- our IQ is not going to allow being able to have a life and have it all in medical school.

Listen, you can still get 225ish on the test and do a lot less -- albeit more than I did. But, wow, it sucks. I did just above the bare minimum in medical school and that's still a hell of a lot. And, it still was not enough to hit the American medical student average. Whether that says more about me or the test I'm not sure. But, wow, that's the type of hard working field we've chosen.

STEP is a proxy for how hard you've worked and for how long. That's it. Nothing more. There is a reason IMG's who can barely speak get 240s on this test -- they study for half a year.

What's sad for me is that I'm really having to rethink where I have to go to residency right now because of this test. I'm more relaxed and energetic about third year than lots of my classmates. And, I know I can relate to patients better than some of the robot-studiers who surely will be going into Ortho etc. And, I really never wanted to be in any of the ADORE (Anes/derm/orthooptho/radio/ENT,ER) residencies. I wanted to do medicine or pediatrics at a good teaching hospital because I like to teach and be in such learning environments.

But, with a 207 I'm not sure where I can go or what I'll be able to do. And it's all because I thought my standardized test taking ability would save me and my subpar medical career on STEP I.

It does not -- it absolutely does not. And , I hope future readers of this rambling/cathartic/and (I hope) educative post will understand that and simply not make the same mistake I did.

Good luck on STEP I you all. I hope no one has to feel like I'm feeling after they finish it.

Members don't see this ad.

"Forget trying to romance a lady and really trying to get to know her and be in a relationship that is more than sex and convenience."

-- Wow! :p

To all the board-reviewers: The OP's post is a glowing example of the defense mechanism rationalization. Enjoy.

Frank, don't be a turd. He was just being honest and I am certain that some will find his post helpful. I definitely can relate to a lot of what he said. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
letusbedocs said:
STEP is a proxy for how hard you've worked and for how long.

There is a reason IMG's who can barely speak get 240s on this test -- they study for half a year.

Yes, and yes. What a realization!!!!

:rolleyes: No, those contemptible "IMG's who can barely speak" know more than you. Get over it. BF's post is right on

Is it really a defense mechanism if I'm admitting my weaknesses, blatantly saying I could have performed better, and wishing I did things differently?

No, you use a defense mechanism when the truth is too painful. You are an idiot bigfrank. I can see why most people here despise you. Please get into radiology and leave human beings alone.

You are a *****. It's not the mechanism of rationalization to state that you have to be very disciplined and robot-like to destroy STEP I. I was not.

I was really trying to be "real" about the test. That's it. Nothing more.

And, about the FMG comment -- they might know more than me -- but they were able to give the test a lot longer than I did -- again, my point that the only way to "game" STEP I is to be plug away and be disciplined. I would really like to see how I could do versus them if I studied for so long also.

Also, at least I'll never tell a four year girl and her non-medical mother to go "NPO" for the rest of the night and think they understood what I meant. And, listen, I like FMGs just fine -- they'll make great doctors too -- it's just the finer points of doctoring -- like communicating well in America -- they learn the harder way.

bigfrank said:
To all the board-reviewers: The OP's post is a glowing example of the defense mechanism rationalization. Enjoy.
you're pretty much a d*ck and I'm sick of reading your posts in every thread. don't you have a something better to do?

nutmegs said:
you're pretty much a d*ck and I'm sick of reading your posts in every thread. don't you have a something better to do?
GO STUDY.

letusbedocs said:
Also, at least I'll never tell a four year girl and her non-medical mother to go "NPO" for the rest of the night and think they understood what I meant. And, listen, I like FMGs just fine -- they'll make great doctors too -- it's just the finer points of doctoring -- like communicating well in America -- they learn the harder way.

So... is it FMGs or IMGs? Pick one

The space your post takes up on the screen is too small to contain your unfounded arrogance

TS34.jpg

My story is almost identical to yours. No need to go into details of my SAT's, MCATs, and step I, other than to say that they are very similar to yours. The only advice that I can add is that you should think about what you want from your medical career after leaving the gulag of medical education. In the vast majority of cases, including mine, a low 200's step I is a good thing, as such a score allows you to check the exam off of the list of things to do before reaching your ultimate goal.

My take on medical school thus far is from the perspective of a lover of the humanities, a lover of rhetoric, philosophy, political science and history. I studied classics as an undergrad but chose medicine as a profession. In short, I agree that medical school rewards robots in the first two years. As I was taking multiple choice tests every other week the last two years, a family member was going through a remarkable intellectual experience at the premier law school in America. Seeing what wonderful thinkers he and his classmates were and how all the best medical students cared about was z scores, I became confident that I would have enjoyed being a law student more than a first or second year medical student. However, I don't want to be a lawyer. I do want to be a physician. Consequently, my outlook is now a very simple one. I don't care what my classmates have on their cv's; I have very clear goals for my career and a plan to get there.

Who cares what scores my classmates have if I can do what I want to do and do it well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreign or International -- same thing. What it ain't is an MD from an LCME accredited school.

And if you think I'm arrogant -- well, I got a 207 that I announced to the world that says I'm not.

Foreign grads make fine doctors -- their 60% passage rate on STEP I not withstanding. :) -- but I like to look at the individual.

letusbedocs said:
No, you use a defense mechanism when the truth is too painful. You are an idiot bigfrank. I can see why most people here despise you. Please get into radiology and leave human beings alone.
Unlike you, I did have that option. ;)

letusbedocs said:
I know I could have posted this link in another thread, but I just wanted to hash some things about Step I and perhaps let people learn a bit along the way about the nature of the test and what it takes to succeed over that beast.

Well, I always do well on standardized tests. Granted it's not 99th% well -- but I'm a solid 93% percenter. My SAT scores were 1480 and my MCAT scores were 33 (same score in each subject) -- I think both such scores project to about 93% or so (the SAT is a bit higher -- but you're going against the whole population there).

So, I'm not a 1590 SAT or 37 MCAT type guy who was hoping for 255 on STEP I. But, I didn't think I would do as badly as I did. Honestly, I was hoping for a 222 or so and I'd call it a day.

So, needless to say the score shocked me. But, given how I took to medical school I can't see it's too surprising. Here are some myths I feel my experience with the beast tell:

1. Your score is not going to be related to your standardized test taking abilities. As you saw, my SATs and MCATs were decent -- not great -- but decent. However, I was not able to rely upon my test taking skills for STEP I. Unfortunately, you can't really "game" the test -- like finding too many obvious wrong answers/hoping to reason ou the right answer/or even doing something like finishing your Orgo passages first.

I'm a slow, but good reader and I just barely finished each section. That might have been a mistake on STEP I. Unlike the MCAT, this test is forcing to see if you can quickly learn what is and what is not important about a given patient or disease. It's not looking at comprehension as much.

Even the NBME says that the best indicator of performance is your SHELF grades if your school does the shelf. And, I'd say that's freakily correct. I was right below average for my med school (which gets the average on STEP I) on shelf exams and that's how I did upon STEP I. I always said I'd make up for lost ground when it came to STEP I but I was not able to do so.

2. Your score is going to reflect the amount of work you put in for the first two years of medical school. For people about to take the test and have not put in too much work -- I'm sorry. But, really, you start preparing for this test from Day I of Med School. You have to start making associations (like not only what does liver cancer look like but that Hep vaccines are really a cancer preventing vaccine) and you have to start learning what is important quick -- and retain it.

I do fault most medical schools a bit for killing any desire/ability to study for STEP I effectively in this sense. Most of the classes at my American med school were so much about picky facts it was ridiculous. Most tests would not be written to emphasize the important stuff (which was in there still) but to see how much we understood super-specialized lectures. For instance, probably 80% of our tests were like thus: about 30 lectures given by 6-8 different people and each person writing about 3-4 questions per lecture they gave. Now, of their 3-4 questions I'd say about 1-2 were STEP I worthy. The rest just forced you to memorize their stupid lecture notes.

The top schools -- like Penn or NYU at least -- actually let students take STEP I after third year. I can't recommend that approach enough. The test is not entirely clinical but clinical experience does help. Moreover, you knowledge about something like CHF is not just from bullet point lists in a book. You actually goddam saw it, helped diagnose it, and treated it. You remember it more than you'd ever like. People say "But, oh my god that's so far away from when you had Biochem!" But that's bullcrap. You are still going to spend the same four days on that subject you would anyways and there's not THAT MUCH biochem on Step I.

Now, I was able to do well on some tests and I did bad upon some tests. But, I really had to freaking work for the tests I did well on. And that sucked. It really sucked. It meant no other real life than medical school. I like reading, I like being outside, and I like talking to people. But, if I wanted to real well, it was harder to do that stuff.

People in med school do well. But, I'd say 70% of the time such people are robotic specimens of the human race. They are all med school all the time and they work hard to get what they want. In many ways, you want that in your doctor. But, it just was not me.

That said, I was a mediocre student who studied just to stay alive and pass courses -- it was not a studying to UNDERSTAND the material. And, that right there is Strike 1-2-3 for Step I. You can pass the test still -- but to do really well, you have to be able to understand what is going on with the material.

Medicine is so strange like that. Memorization -- tons of it, lots of it -- can get you far enough and takes a lot of discipline to do. But, to excel, you still got to have a bit more left in the tank. I mean, you got to integrate what you're learning. You got to apply it. I have no problem doing that and it's what I'm good at -- but, ug, the memorization part destroys me. And, so, I lost out that aspect of Step I.

3. The Kaplan Q-Bank prognostication is probably accurate. I was hitting 54% for all of Q-Bank -- and I think that projects to my score.

I know you need 60% to hit the American med student average and, for the life of me, I was not able to hit it that number on Q-bank. I'd just forget stuff -- like public health minutiae when I learned something new (again, it's why you need to get to the applying stage well before that 4-6 weeks a school gives you to study for the test).

I did actually do one thing though -- I pounded some Pharm for 2-3 days before the test since I always forget that stuff and I ended up receiving "a very much above average performance" on it for the test -- higher than I was during practice. But, I did bad, really bad, in Cardio and Respiratory which I thought I knew so go figure. IT IS ALWAYS A TRADEOFF IF YOU ENTER THE STUDY PERIOD HAVING A WEAK "FUND" OF KNOWLEDGE

4. Stick to a couple books and know them well. I have a book buying disease and it killed me. Honestly, the Kaplan books/BRS Path/First Aid and Q-Bank are enough to destroy that test. You really must do Q-Bank and do it right I feel though (understand what you got wrong and take the test in sets of 50 from different subject every once in a while).

5. If you want to destroy the test -- I'm talking ENT level destroy -- be a robot. Forget knowing about the world or what's going on it. Forget trying to romance a lady and really trying to get to know her and be in a relationship that is more than sex and convenience. Forget trying to be involved in your society or school organizations. Forget trying to read for pleasure. Forget tyring to work on your public speaking. Forget trying to keep up closely with friends from undergrad. Forget all that. For most of us, who by the very definition of how the IQ scale is determined (105 average, standard deviation of 15 right?) -- our IQ is not going to allow being able to have a life and have it all in medical school.

Listen, you can still get 225ish on the test and do a lot less -- albeit more than I did. But, wow, it sucks. I did just above the bare minimum in medical school and that's still a hell of a lot. And, it still was not enough to hit the American medical student average. Whether that says more about me or the test I'm not sure. But, wow, that's the type of hard working field we've chosen.

STEP is a proxy for how hard you've worked and for how long. That's it. Nothing more. There is a reason IMG's who can barely speak get 240s on this test -- they study for half a year.

What's sad for me is that I'm really having to rethink where I have to go to residency right now because of this test. I'm more relaxed and energetic about third year than lots of my classmates. And, I know I can relate to patients better than some of the robot-studiers who surely will be going into Ortho etc. And, I really never wanted to be in any of the ADORE (Anes/derm/orthooptho/radio/ENT,ER) residencies. I wanted to do medicine or pediatrics at a good teaching hospital because I like to teach and be in such learning environments.

But, with a 207 I'm not sure where I can go or what I'll be able to do. And it's all because I thought my standardized test taking ability would save me and my subpar medical career on STEP I.

It does not -- it absolutely does not. And , I hope future readers of this rambling/cathartic/and (I hope) educative post will understand that and simply not make the same mistake I did.

Good luck on STEP I you all. I hope no one has to feel like I'm feeling after they finish it.

Finally some honesty on SDN. Bravo!! This post will give invaluable perspective to future test takers. In fact, I can argue that this post is more beneficial than 90% of the Step 1 experience posts. I hope this post will pave the way for more SDNers to post their experiences. The USMLE forum is for Step 1, not just for people that scored above 240.

It is always refreshing to read a post that is from the other side of the bell curve, because it can easily happen to anyone without discipline. It could have easily happened to me!

The secret to Step 1 success is Work Ethic/Discipline + Academic Drive + Intelligence. Of the 3, intelligence is dead last. I truly believe that discipline and academic drive is enough to get a 240. However, Intelligence + Discipline or Academic Drive + Intelligence has a much lower ceiling.

bigfrank said:

This is low bigfrank. I hope your son hijacked your computer. +pissed+

letusbedocs, that was a darn good essay.

Some of the points you emphasized became glaringly apparent to me while studying for the test, and I hope that your analysis ends up on a sticky somewhere (next best thing to first author in JAMA?). I would quibble over the contention that "test-taking skills" aren't essential, but this is a topic I've hashed over with friends, and your position would hold you in good stead with them!

One more thing - congratulations on passing. While you may not be thrilled with your score, PDs are looking at many other factors. You have probably heard all this, but get a copy of Iserson's book and convince yourself. PDs actualy base more of their decisions on you LORs and your Step 2 scores. And, I've heard, they prefer to work with people who aren't overcompensating for their thimble-sized weenies by posting snide comments anonymously.

Darn good post..Thanks a bunch. Forget the ignorants that fire up on every advice on these forums...come on guys..grow up and listen up for once.

Why is it anytime someone has a less-than-stellar USMLE score, they say something like "I may not have a great test score, but at least I'm not a robot like you people".

Guess what? I scored well on step 1 AND last time I checked I'm not a robot!!

I think your post will help many people...my only objection is to watch generalizations. We have 5 kids, my husband studied for 2 weeks, and well, about the "time to romance a woman etc" let me just point you back to "we have 5 kids" :) He scored well above average and is an IMG. So I just hate putting people in a little "box". Congratulations on passing. I have many dear friends that have struggled to pass and it is hard to know how to encourage and comfort them. Good luck to you.

fang said:

I'll be the judge of that . . . Just answer some questions please.

"You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden..." (Me)
"Is this the test now?" (Fang)
"Yes! You're in a desert and you're walking along in the sand and all of a sudden you look down and..." (Me)
"What one?" (Fang)
"What?" (Me)
"What desert?" (Fang)
"It doesn't make any difference what desert. It's completely hypothetical!" (Me)
"Well how come I'be there?" (Fang)
"Maybe you're fed up, maybe you wanna be by yourself. Who knows? You look down and you see a tortoise, Fang. It's crawling towards you." (Me)
"A tortoise? What's that?" (Fang)
"You know what a turtle is? Same thing." (Me)
"I've never seen a turtle but I understand what you mean." (Fang)
"You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon." (Me)
"Do you make up these questions, Mr Paramed2premed? Or do they write them down for you?" (Fang)
"The turtoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without for your help. But you're not helping." (Me)
"What do you mean I'm not helping!" (Fang)
"I mean you're not helping. Why is that Fang?
(tense silence)
They're just questions, Fang. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response. Shall we continue? Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your mother." (Me)
"My mother? Let me tell you about my mother!" (Fang)

Hmm.

fang said:
Why is it anytime someone has a less-than-stellar USMLE score, they say something like "I may not have a great test score, but at least I'm not a robot like you people".

My point exactly. It's a defense mechanism.

Letusbedocs

All I can say is: "IT's ABOUT TIME SOMEONE SPOKE THE TRUTH." Bravo!!! I think if anything BigFrank got defensive because a lot of what Letusbedocs hit home. BigFrank worked like a robot but like so many people who excell, they downplay how hard they worked because it's much more fashionable to say you crushed something after giving little effort as opposed to admitting you sacraficed a lot.

I did well on Step I and scored much higher than the OP but I admit that I worked pretty darn hard for my score. For 3 months, I didn't really go out and have fun or do much else other than study for this exam. And it's true what he said about the IMG's. There are many IMG's who score over a 250 and have poor English speaking and reading skills. They achieve their score through sheer hardwork over many months of studying. And to those people, they have my highest compliments.

If I got a 260 and I worked like a "robot" for that, I wouldn't in anyway feel ashamed to be called a robot. That's a compliment if anything. It shows you were willing to sacrafice and give up a lot to be the best. I have more respect for someone who says they sacraficed and worked like a robot to earn their score than those who downplay how hard they worked.

The truth is I wish more of you would come right out and admit that you worked pretty damn hard for your scores. No one just gets a 260 let alone a 240 without busting their tail. No one gets anything worthwhile in life without sacraficing a lot and working incredibly hard. I have been there so I know better but someone newbie reading this forum will think: "Gee, that's all it takes and I too can get a 260." Big Frank worked his butt off. If you worked as hard as Big Frank, you might not get a 260 but you would probably score above a 240.

This is truly an American thing. In this country, it's taboo to admit you work hard for anything. No one wants to be thought of as a nerd even if that is often the case so they downplay how hard they studied or how much they sacraficed. In Asian countries, it's acceptable and even desired to be a nerd. In Asian countries, the mentality is different. I have Indian friends who tell me what it was like studying to get into the IIT's and they don't shy away from telling me what their grueling schedule was like and how hard they worked. You would never hear an Indian guy say "Yeah, I only studied 3 hours a day and I got into IIT." The mentality is different. If you gave that answer, people there would think you are lazy instead of some god.

The OP's message was accurate in so many ways. You really have to understand this material. It goes way beyond simple memorization. And to gain that level of understanding, you will need to study and read a lot. That's just the reality facing this exam.

I guess it's that some people equate working hard with not having ANY fun. That's where it gets annoying. Everyone takes breaks and depending on if you are single, married, with kids or without, determines what you do with downtime. I know people that spent much more time studying than my husband and scored lower...there is no secret formula. There is no way to measure "effective study time". For us, managing having five children under the age of 7 means that study time has to be effective. You can't say put in x amount of time for x amount of days = x score. It doesn't work that way. Some people need more down time or they get too stressed. My husband works better under pressure (test approaching soon etc) and then he goes a little into robot mode needing little sleep etc. He doesn't do so well starting months and months before...the immediate needs of little kids always win. But he would never advise others to take this strategy...it just works for him. He puts in work all along but works VERY hard closer to test dates. Statements like "no one just gets a 260 let alone a 250 without busting their tail" by novaceK88 need further clarification. What is busting your tail? You just can't define this. I know people that took review courses and studied constantly (their wives complained to me) and didn't even pass.

Mom2five said:
You just can't define this. I know people that took review courses and studied constantly (their wives complained to me) and didn't even pass.

I think you can define it but people are unwilling to do so.Sorry, I just find that hard to believe. I haven't known anyone who I have seen and studied for long hours not excell on Step I. These people were genuinely studying and not wasting time. I knew a lot of others claim they studied when they didn't. Maybe your friends said they were studying when they were really chatting up their friends at the library or maybe they go destracted doing others things. Still I just don't believe that because my study partner got a 20 on the MCAT and nailed a 250 on Step I. He outscored me on Step I and I was very proud of him. It's no secret, it's called studying and sacraficing although some of you seem intent on suggesting otherwise. He was a very average student during our first two years but he went back and relearned a lot of the basic sciences. That was a very painful process for him but he needed to do it.

Even you admit your husband went a "little into robot mode." What does that mean? For all we know he could have studied late at night when the kids were asleep for 5 or 6 hour at night for 3 months.

p53 said:
Finally some honesty on SDN. Bravo!! This post will give invaluable perspective to future test takers. In fact, I can argue that this post is more beneficial than 90% of the Step 1 experience posts. I hope this post will pave the way for more SDNers to post their experiences. The USMLE forum is for Step 1, not just for people that scored above 240.

It is always refreshing to read a post that is from the other side of the bell curve, because it can easily happen to anyone without discipline. It could have easily happened to me!

The secret to Step 1 success is Work Ethic/Discipline + Academic Drive + Intelligence. Of the 3, intelligence is dead last. I truly believe that discipline and academic drive is enough to get a 240. However, Intelligence + Discipline or Academic Drive + Intelligence has a much lower ceiling.

Well said! Another great post on this thread!

Mom2five said:
I guess it's that some people equate working hard with not having ANY fun. That's where it gets annoying. Everyone takes breaks and depending on if you are single, married, with kids or without, determines what you do with downtime. I know people that spent much more time studying than my husband and scored lower...there is no secret formula. There is no way to measure "effective study time". For us, managing having five children under the age of 7 means that study time has to be effective. You can't say put in x amount of time for x amount of days = x score. It doesn't work that way. Some people need more down time or they get too stressed. My husband works better under pressure (test approaching soon etc) and then he goes a little into robot mode needing little sleep etc. He doesn't do so well starting months and months before...the immediate needs of little kids always win. But he would never advise others to take this strategy...it just works for him. He puts in work all along but works VERY hard closer to test dates. Statements like "no one just gets a 260 let alone a 250 without busting their tail" by novaceK88 need further clarification. What is busting your tail? You just can't define this. I know people that took review courses and studied constantly (their wives complained to me) and didn't even pass.

I wholeheartedly agree. . During the first two years of medical school I studied quite a bit less than many in my class, buried a family member, took a vacation every four months, went out to bars and restaurants with my girlfriend most every weekend and still ended up in the top 10% of my class. My point is not to brag, as it would be futile and obnoxious on an anonymous forum. The point is , as a poster above noted, effective studying, making connections is the key. So many students memorize things without ever stopping to think about six seemingly random symptoms of oh lets say SLE are connected by the same pathologic process. On test day, when the NBME throws them an atypical presentation with no buzzwords ( ie ANAs, Malar rash), the students flounder. All the best students I know can explain disease as if casually talking about the weather, or music. They do exceedingly well on their step because when studying, they immerse themselves in the material, learning to recognise disease patterns, rather than memorizing random factoids. These same individuals either have spouses and children and/or have active social lives. Their outlook as corny as it sounds is "work hard, play hard". By work hard however, they mean 3-4 hrs a day of actual coming to understand material, not merely memorizing it. This cannot be stressed enough.
To the OP, congrats on your score. It may not have been what you were looking for, but I am sure you will land an IM or peds residency, and do well if that is truly your area of interest. With respect to your comments on IMGs/FMGs, this seems to be a common misconception. I sit for my step within the next 4-6 weeks, having finished our 5th semester 3 days ago. Perhaps some do take many months but the average length of time amongst my group of friends at Ross right now is ~5 / weeks. The school has long term statistics showing an inverse correlation between time spent studying after second year and performance on step one. Perhaps this is due to the fact that those who did not work diligently during 1st and 2nd year feel the need to relearn everything, and thus take a longer time to prep. As many have commented, hard work ( which i again interpret as understanding concepts) during 1st and 2nd year cannot be made up for even in a couple of months of studying, and thus these students tend to perform worse than than those who take it sooner.
Finally, I agree with your comments on the limiting of resources. Having read most of the threads on here for the past two years or so, the common theme seems to be, limit your resources, do q-bank and understand why you missed something, know first aid cold ( again understand what the three word sentence means, not just memorizing it), get rest the day before the exam, and work hard your first two years. I hope SDNers are right. I guess I will find out soon enough, huh? Good luck to you, and to all prepping for the beast. Peace.

We are all very robotic in medical school. In college I went out every thurs, fri, and sat, woke up hung over studied for a few hours on sunday and aced my tests on monday. In medical school, I barely ever went out during my first 2 years. I busted my a$$ for 2 months studying for Step 1 and gave up most of my other hobbies. I am happy to say that I barely beat the mean and definatly accept the fact that I was very robitic and miserable during my experience.

The OPs posts on are dead on. Nothing can replace hard work and sheer determination.

novacek88 said:
I think you can define it but people are unwilling to do so.Sorry, I just find that hard to believe. I haven't known anyone who I have seen and studied for long hours not excell on Step I. These people were genuinely studying and not wasting time. I knew a lot of others claim they studied when they didn't. Maybe your friends said they were studying when they were really chatting up their friends at the library or maybe they go destracted doing others things. Still I just don't believe that because my study partners got a 20 on the MCAT and nailed a 250 on Step I. He outscored me on Step I and I was very proud of him. It's no secret, it's called studying and sacraficing although some of you seem intent on suggesting otherwise. He was a very average student during our first two years but he went back and relearned a lot of the basic sciences. That was a very painful process for him but he needed to do it.

Even you admit your husband went a "little into robot mode." What does that mean? For all we know he could have studied late at night when the kids were asleep for 5 or 6 hour at night for 3 months.

It means that for months while taking classes he tried to study for Step but the coursework and the needy children messed up that plan. It means that when he sat down to study "knock knock, daddy will you play with me?" It means that he helped change diapers and fix meals and clean when I was burnt out. It means that he tried to keep his life in balance because he does not want to get to the end and regret that he didn't spend enough time with us. It means he studied for 2 weeks and three weekends before Step I. It means that those 2 weeks he didn't help me out with the kids. It means that he locked the door when he was studying. It means he stayed up late and got up early. He took short breaks to come out and hug/play with the kids but it was a concentrated 2 weeks. I stayed strong and didn't ask him to help me during those 2 weeks. It means that he sacrificed family life for 2 weeks. It means that my oldest prayed one night "I know we don't get to see Daddy much but that's ok because he is going to help out other people, and that is more important." (He hasn't prayed a prayer like that in awhile). To suggest that an IMG can not get a good score unless they study 6 months is silly. He got a 260. Believe it or not it doesn't really matter. The point is that his study methods will not work for everyone.

Do you have kids? If so, I could never tell you how to parent them...there are things that would/wouldn't work for you that work well for me. I still try to listen to other parents and see if there is anything I can learn but I don't get stressed if I seem to be doing a worse job or if their methods don't work in my house.

The friends I know that didn't pass were hard workers. They are older with families and not in the party scene. The struggle with tests but are rocking clinicals. Scoring low does not mean you won't be a good doctor. Scoring high does not ensure you will be an awesome doctor.

Personally, I would want to put in the most effort I could manage so as to not regret anything. But you can't measure these things. You can't know for sure if a couple more hours a day would produce a higher score. That is why the application process involves many things not just your Step score. It is hard to know how the "tone" of my message is coming across, but sincerely all I am asking is to not generalize. My husband worked Very Hard but not in the way you define hard work. He worked hard to BALANCE his life and for him the results were a happy family and a good score.

Mom2five said:
It means that for months while taking classes he tried to study for Step but the coursework and the needy children messed up that plan. It means that when he sat down to study "knock knock, daddy will you play with me?" It means that he helped change diapers and fix meals and clean when I was burnt out. It means that he tried to keep his life in balance because he does not want to get to the end and regret that he didn't spend enough time with us. It means he studied for 2 weeks and three weekends before Step I. It means that those 2 weeks he didn't help me out with the kids. It means that he locked the door when he was studying. It means he stayed up late and got up early. He took short breaks to come out and hug/play with the kids but it was a concentrated 2 weeks. I stayed strong and didn't ask him to help me during those 2 weeks. It means that he sacrificed family life for 2 weeks. It means that my oldest prayed one night "I know we don't get to see Daddy much but that's ok because he is going to help out other people, and that is more important." (He hasn't prayed a prayer like that in awhile). To suggest that an IMG can not get a good score unless they study 6 months is silly. He got a 260. Believe it or not it doesn't really matter. The point is that his study methods will not work for everyone.

Do you have kids? If so, I could never tell you how to parent them...there are things that would/wouldn't work for you that work well for me. I still try to listen to other parents and see if there is anything I can learn but I don't get stressed if I seem to be doing a worse job or if their methods don't work in my house.

The friends I know that didn't pass were hard workers. They are older with families and not in the party scene. The struggle with tests but are rocking clinicals. Scoring low does not mean you won't be a good doctor. Scoring high does not ensure you will be an awesome doctor.

Personally, I would want to put in the most effort I could manage so as to not regret anything. But you can't measure these things. You can't know for sure if a couple more hours a day would produce a higher score. That is why the application process involves many things not just your Step score. It is hard to know how the "tone" of my message is coming across, but sincerely all I am asking is to not generalize. My husband worked Very Hard but not in the way you define hard work. He worked hard to BALANCE his life and for him the results were a happy family and a good score.

Let me get this straight. Your husband is an IMG with 5 kids and studied for only 2 weeks and got a 260 on Step I. Are you also selling any X-ray glasses or No Money Down Real Estate packages with that story.

daelroy said:
Let me get this straight. Your husband is an IMG with 5 kids and studied for only 2 weeks and got a 260 on Step I. Are you also selling any X-ray glasses or Advanced Dream Away with that lie

Ross student...260/99 baby!

daelroy said:
Let me get this straight. Your husband is an IMG with 5 kids and studied for only 2 weeks and got a 260 on Step I. Are you also selling any X-ray glasses or No Money Down Real Estate packages with that story.

Nice Edit!!! It did say "lie" now "story".

Mom2five said:
Nice Edit!!! It did say "lie" now "story".

Yes I edited it. I felt it was a little mean accusing you of lying. You could be telling the truth. Or you could just underestimating how much your husband really studied. I tend to believe the latter.

daelroy said:
Yes I edited it. I felt it was a little mean accusing you of lying. You could be telling the truth. Or you could just underestimating how much your husband really studied. I tend to believe the latter.

He studied at home...the whole time on the island and the 2 weeks of concentrated study for Step...so unless you are saying I'm ignorant I think I "know" how much he studied. His classmates for the most part studied at the library and he tried to at first but soon realized that they took "breaks" and chatted, got coffee, etc. so he said he rather study at home and take breaks with his wife and kids...the people he cares most about in the world. As you can tell my personality is very open and I don't even care if anyone "knows" who I am on this forum, but I'm posting about my husband and he's not so open. He's very humble and would probably never tell anyone his score unless someone asked him directly. Only I know all the struggles we've had and I am proud of him. He only used FA(he wrote in it and referenced other books when he needed further info) and Qbank. He never took any tests that gave him a predicted score. He said it would freak him out too much. Everyone needs to do less finger pointing on this forum. I don't see how you could disagree with my post anyway as I said "I do not advise you follow his methods". My only point which I'm beginning to think is pointless to try to communicate is that you can't put people in a little BOX. Know yourself, what you need to do and do it. Nobody gets me...sheesh!

Mom2Five

Your husband is a genius then. There is no way a person of average intelligence can study for two weeks and score a 260 on Step I. For the other 99% of us, we had to earn our top scores by actually studying several hours a day for several months.

letusbedocs said:
There is a reason IMG's who can barely speak get 240s on this test -- they study for half a year.

Foreign grads make fine doctors -- their 60% passage rate on STEP I not withstanding. :) -- but I like to look at the individual.

Just a thought: looking at "the individual" usually precludes rash generalizations about a subpopulation.

Also - IMG's who speak their native language fluently as well as passable English are still a leg up on my sorry English-only ass.

novacek88 said:
Mom2Five

Your husband is a genius then. There is no way a person of average intelligence can study for two weeks and score a 260 on Step I. For the other 99% of us, we had to earn our top scores by actually studying several hours a day for several months.

Stop it already!!! "Earn"...so now he didn't earn it...I give up. Maybe he just had more Sex...maybe I should start a poll...that'd be one for you correlators. If only I had Cable...I could get off this forum...why do I do this to myself??? I'm going to the pool!

Mom2five said:
Stop it already!!! "Earn"...so now he didn't earn it...I give up. Maybe he just had more Sex...maybe I should start a poll...that'd be one for you correlators. If only I had Cable...I could get off this forum...why do I do this to myself??? I'm going to the pool!
I would be willing to bet my left testicle that there is a positive correlateion between amount of sex had during med school and step scores. :D Lets hope so anyway. Mom2five, people are going to believe what they want to...unfortunately. Generally speaking, I find that people who have more in life than med. school and grades view studying differently. It is not the end all and be all, so to speak. This mindset usually affords them some degree of liberation from the drudgery that is med school. Thus, their reasoning, recall, and rationalization skills are usually better than those couped up in libraries for hours on end. Of course it could just be the sex. ;) Good luck to you and your family. I am sure your husband has a very promising career ahead.

Geez, what do you want frmo people? We bow to your man's extreme intelligence and how he ONLY had to study two weeks for Step 1.

We get it. Quit squawking about it like some hen over and over.

not to mention that the number of kids you guys have has nothing to do w/impiled sex life for the following reasons:

1. if you implied that he was having sex while in med school, you mean to tell me you guys spat out 5 children while in 2 yrs of medschool? what kind of time does that leave to hit a replication rate like that? 0.

2. but wait -- you cant have 5 kids in two years, b/c thats ******ed, much less impossible. maybe 3, but no way 5.

3. moreover, all it means is that you guys had sex 5 times. im single and i have sex 5x/month; .: i have 60 kids a year?? all that means is that you didnt learn how to use a condom 5 times.

4. moreover, are all your kids yours?

5. if hes so smart, whyd he go to ross, if hes the standard ross student?

anyway ... wow, all of you guys are incredibly ******ed. some people work harder and get less (and are perceived as dumb), some people work less and get more (and are perceived as smart), and there are elements of truth and illusion to both. whats the moral of the story?
<A> success = work + smrt (to the jeenyus who finds this spelling error, way to go -- you suck!)
<B> know whether youre honestly smarter or dumber
<C> figure out what score you want
<D> decide if youre willing to work that hard for that score

either way you have to figure out for yourself how you make the most of your time; by busting your ass to get a score higher than is indicative, or by living life. busting your ass, yeah you set yourself up for a better future, at least monetarily and academically, but you certainly risk having your home life shrivel. living life, sure you have a good grasp of intangibles, but you need to own up to the fact that there needs to be some objectivity in gaining residency as well.

quit being ******s: be smart, work hard, and live life, all three to the fullest extent you can.

This thread is proof that many people are lifeless robots. Get out and watch some movies. Someone quotes Bladerunner, what many consider the greatest sci-fi movie ever, and no one even acts like they get it!

If it's too good to be true, it usually is. The readers just have to use their common sense. If someone is implying you can score a 260 in two weeks by using "efficient" study methods, and you believe them then I don't know what to tell you. My friends and I are laughing our a$$es off because anytime someone tries to offer direct and sage advice, someone has to disagree. I could start a thread on SDN saying the earth is the third planet from the sun and one of these SDN members would argue otherwise just to grab some attention. Case in point, its well understood that to achieve a high score on Step I, a person is going to have to study a crazy amount. Then Mom2Five has to warn everyone not to generalize because her husband and father of 5 at Ross scored a 260 in two weeks. Okay, what was the point of that? Is anyone really going to be that stupid and risk studying only 2 weeks with the hope he or she is going to score 260? Do you believe most people could achieve a 260 with only two weeks and efficient study methods? Yeah, I didn't think so either so try not to needlessly interject next time. And what are these efficient study methods? I still have not figured out what that means. I don't know how I could study more efficiently. I mean I don't draw maps with different colored crayons, and I don't study while talking on my cell phones or eating a Big Mac with my other hand. I think I'm like most students. I read, memorize and regurgitate. What is it that I could to study more efficiently? At some point, there are no cute little pnemonics or methods left; at some point a person has to do things the hard way: memorize and regurgitate, it aint sexy but it works

Mom2five said:

Mom2five is a man, the children were adopted

Discobolus said:
This thread is proof that many people are lifeless robots. Get out and watch some movies.
Irony is a beatiful thing.

bigfrank said:
Irony is a beatiful thing.

You know, I figured someone would comment on the apparent disparity between telling someone to "get a life" and engage in escapism via watching movies, but it's not quite that cut and dry. How often out in our "real lives" do we engage in banter with our friends and colleagues about dialogue from our favorite movies? If you don't know what everyone else is talking about you are excluded from the conversation. SNL once did a skit about this phenomenon with their advertisement for "The Quotable Caddyshack."

You know I really feel quite honored though, this is the first time I've been the recipient of a "quick jab" from bigfrank! Irony is a beautiful thing, but so is spelling.

Discobolus said:
This thread is proof that many people are lifeless robots. Get out and watch some movies. Someone quotes Bladerunner, what many consider the greatest sci-fi movie ever, and no one even acts like they get it!

That's because Bladerunner is overrated. It has won acclaim more for its directing than it's plot. It also doesn't hurt that Harrison Ford starred in the film during the height of his career in the early 80's. If you want to talk about a real science fiction film, refer to Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey.

esposo said:
That's because Bladerunner is overrated. It has won acclaim more for its directing than it's plot. It also doesn't hurt that Harrison Ford starred in the film during the height of his career in the early 80's. If you want to talk about a real science fiction film, refer to Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey.

2001 is excellent as well, I was just stating the Bladerunner has been #1 on some Sci-Fi movie lists, not that I necessarily agree.