My story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxilla06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, this is my story: I took the DAT 3 times, and also this is the third time I am applying to Dental School. My last DAT scores are:
Bio 20
Gen Chem 19
Org Chem 14
PAT 19
RC 16
QR 14
TS 18
AA 17

GPA 3.39

I know, I know, before you say the scores are horrible let me make some excuses: I was working full time, going full time to school, taking care of two kids, doing volunteer work and many other.
Right know I am disparate. If I don’t get in this cycle I don’t know what I am going to do. I have great extracurricular, volunteering work, community services and all that. Also I’ve been working in 3 dental offices. I am afraid to retake the DAT, I could do worse, and because of my family I don’t have enough time to restudy.
Please, tell me if I have any chance, at any school. The scores on this forum are amazing. If all the applicants are getting this kind of scores, then I am screwed. If somebody knows anybody who got in with similar stats please let me know.
Thanks for any response in advance and I really wish you good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there working mom,

Do not be desperate! Don't count yourself out as what you have done is very noble. Please apply and fire a letter to the AdCOM person too. Make sure it is a good one. DP

I think you still have a shot at getting in. You seem determined. The only thing I can think that may possibly hold you back is the org chemistry score. Just give the adcoms a good reason for that, and you still have a chance -- especially at your in-state school !!! Good luck and God Bless!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to say you have no chance, because you do, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't going to be like pushing a boulder up a mountain...with two kids attached to your legs.

You are going to have to figure out some rasons for the 14 in O chem and QR that are reasonable. You will also need to explain it in the secondaries section that asks for other circumstances.

There are some great schools, like UPenn, that aren't as big on crunching numbers, but I don't know all of them. You'll also have to be able to explain how the school will expect that you'll be able to pass boards since your circumstances aren't going to change in dental school You'll still have two kids to support. you'll probably still work a job to do that while also having to deal with the dental school curriculum, so it better sound reasonable how you'll be a good candidate to pass boards despite your other obligations.

Given circumstances, I agree with the extra personal statement to the schools. Your EC and LORs should be excellent. Assuming you are not an under represented minority, I think you're facing a larger challenge than you may realize. I've heard that adcoms have heart attacks when the see individual scores of 14 - you'll need to explain. Keep your nose to the grindstone and eventually you'll get what you want. If you need to reapply next year, so be it. But do everything you can to get in this year. The long shots do pay off sometimes. Good luck.

you can make good money as a dental assistant or technician..and then you won't have to worry about paying back heavy dental school loans. just a consideration in case it doesnt work out this cycle. not the end of the world. with your experience im sure finding a good paying job in the field wont be too hard at all.

Apply to as many private schools you can. They tend to admit more of
nontraditional students like you

Don't give up... if you are somewhere in midwest.... relax... you will get invited to your state school.... Just make sure that you said you will focus on
study only if they let you study at their school... don't fret about how hard you have bee working ....etc...

.... what state are you in? just curious

sk101 said:
Apply to as many private schools you can. They tend to admit more of
nontraditional students like you and me. I got into three private schools
three years ago but I wasn't able to go.

I am doing it again this year ... hoping I could make it into state school...
Don't give up... if you are somewhere in midwest.... relax... you will get invited to your state school.... Just make sure that you said you will focus on
study only if they let you study at their school... don't fret about how hard you have bee working ....etc...

.... what state are you in? just curious

First of all,thanks for all responses.

I don’t even think to apply to my state school: UW. Their avg DAT is 20 or 21 and I am sure they are going to put my application on the side right after they see my scores. I would really really love to get into ASDOH, but again…???

Maxilla06 said:

I don’t even think to apply to my state school: UW. Their avg DAT is 20 or 21 and I am sure they are going to put my application on the side right after they see my scores. I would really really love to get into ASDOH, but again…???

Every medicore Cali students are applying to asdoh.... If I were you, I would
apply to BU, NYU ... mostly east coast schools. You can still get in. I know couple of people who got in with scores similar to yours.

Otherwise, pack up and move to state that you think you could get in...
How about one below you?

Maxilla06 said:

Please check minimum requirements of each school.... before you do e-submit.
I would only send to school that has their minimum requirements similar to yours...
like 16 on each section......blah blah... you know what I mean...

OHSU is not competitive as UW but do not mention to anyone from Oregon you are there for school only. They gonna call Oregon State Residency Office and report you. That happen to a buddy. She mentioned to
some of her classmates that she is from Seattle ... She was doing well in
most of classes ... getting A - to A ... she is not sure if she will goto OHSU

Some Oregonians.... are very ... biased..... See nothing Hear nothing Say nothing....

She met lots of Oregonian predents whose socres are 17-18 and got into OHSU....and they are very weary of outsiders...

Haha, applying to OHSU if you're not a signed/sealed resident of Oregon with the ability to prove it is WORTHLESS unless you have a 4.0.

I literally live 10 minutes from the school, and I'm not applying because I live on the wrong side of the border...eh, UW is a better school anyway...

I've been told that schools question students who cant do well on the DAT because eventually they have to pass the boards...another standardized test. It looks aweful when a school has a student who fails a section or the whole thing together and brings down the average. If you can't "pass" the DAT at an acceptable level, they most likely wonder what will happen when you try and pass the Boards.

That might be something to address in your statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but why haven't you considered dental hygiene (or even RDA) as a professional option. With your current responsibilities, it might be a better option, both for you and your children. You obviously will have to devote a greater amount of time to your studies based on the aptitude you've displayed on three DAT attempts. Dental school is not an easy path, ESPECIALLY if you have two other lives to consider before your own. Again, I'm not trying to shoot down your dream, I'm just being realistic. Dental school can always become an option later on down the road, once your kids are more self-reliant, and you can dedicate yourself 100% to dental school. Good luck to you and your family.

Well, my heart goes out to you for all of your determination and effort. The simple hard truth that most of us are too kind to say is that you don't even have a chance of getting in this year. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but those DAT scores just aren't good enough. Stop wasting thousands of dollars applying with those low scores. It isn't fair to you or your family. I'm am not saying to give up, but you must realize that improvement is mandatory. Good Luck

sk101 said:
Please check minimum requirements of each school.... before you do e-submit.
I would only send to school that has their minimum requirements similar to yours...
like 16 on each section......blah blah... you know what I mean...

OHSU is not competitive as UW but do not mention to anyone from Oregon you are there for school only. They gonna call Oregon State Residency Office and report you. That happen to a buddy. She mentioned to
some of her classmates that she is from Seattle ... She was doing well in
most of classes ... getting A - to A ... she is not sure if she will goto OHSU

Some Oregonians.... are very ... biased..... See nothing Hear nothing Say nothing....

She met lots of Oregonian predents whose socres are 17-18 and got into OHSU....and they are very weary of outsiders...

Most Oregon residents just want OHSU to act like it is actually our state school which it has been doing for several years now. A few years back they accepted more than 50% outsiders claiming state budget problems. They could charge me out of state and it would still be cheaper than most private schools so I don't want the budget to be an issue. Thats garbage when we can't apply to other schools as WICHE or anything and still get no lovin' from home. Nothin wrong with Oregon's state school giving residents a leg up, like other state schools.

Don't sweat it. Seeing your scores and your situation, I think are almost home. You are a female (+), three-time applicant (big +), and you have good credentials in that you are a working mother with plenty of life experiences(+).

Your GPA is average for most applicants these days. Your DAT on the other hand is deficient. It's not bad, but it's somewhat of a downer. I assume that since you took the DAT three times, your scores probably improved on the order of 15, 16, 17 or something along those lines? If so, then that's good because you have shown determination and marked improvement over the course of the three applications.

However, dentistry is a field that has exploded in recent years. It used to be that 15-16 DAT and a 3.3 GPA would get you in during the early to mid 90's. Competition wasn't as intense in those days. Today, you really need a 17AA minimum at many schools unless you are a minority. Some require 18AA or higher and so forth.

I would say that your odds of matriculating this time around are 50/50. You need to impress during the interview. If I were in your situation, I would retake and aim for a higher score just to be sure. If you can't do that right now because of your situation, then just apply anyway, but don't be sad if you get rejected again. I know someone that applied 5 times and finally got in. If you want it bad enough, you will make it.

Fliberdigibit said:
I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but why haven't you considered dental hygiene (or even RDA) as a professional option. With your current responsibilities, it might be a better option, both for you and your children. You obviously will have to devote a greater amount of time to your studies based on the aptitude you've displayed on three DAT attempts. Dental school is not an easy path, ESPECIALLY if you have two other lives to consider before your own. Again, I'm not trying to shoot down your dream, I'm just being realistic. Dental school can always become an option later on down the road, once your kids are more self-reliant, and you can dedicate yourself 100% to dental school. Good luck to you and your family.

Fliberdigibit, thanks for the advice. I didn’t consider dental hygienist because it is not what I want to do. I really want to get into dental school, I want to be a dentist not a hygienist. So I am going to take all or nothing.
And thanks for any feedback. I really appreciate, and hey if somebody else is in the same boat with me please share your experience.
If I get any interviews I’ll let you know. For now I have sent everything to schools including the secondary applications. Will see what happens!
Good luck to everybody!

OK, so I got my first rejection letter from Case. :(

hmm...seems like you may have to restrategize. Time to work the good ole connections? if you must work, don't work in a dental office. work in a university? possibilities:

work in a dental school. meet people. meet the dean casually....eh hem, eh hem. friends don't reject friends as easily. do a guilt acceptance, maybe...

know the trustee of the school? get a rec letter.

...etc, etc, etc.

Canadian schools? Caribbean schools? ...in the end, once you come back here, the potential clients'll be numerous, and money's not a problem.

jkh1886 said:
hmm...seems like you may have to restrategize. Time to work the good ole connections? if you must work, don't work in a dental office. work in a university? possibilities:

work in a dental school. meet people. meet the dean casually....eh hem, eh hem. friends don't reject friends as easily. do a guilt acceptance, maybe...

know the trustee of the school? get a rec letter.

...etc, etc, etc.

Canadian schools? Caribbean schools? ...in the end, once you come back here, the potential clients'll be numerous, and money's not a problem.

What are you talking about? You just confuse me!?!

AADSAS updated my 2nd rejection : Meharry :( :(

step 1. figure out how to improve your dat scores (org, qr,rc)
step 2. buy some time to study and retake the dat

step 3. apply again

step 4. dont be affraid :D :D :D :D :D :D :idea:

step 5. good luck !

I know, I know, before you say the scores are horrible let me make some excuses: I was working full time, going full time to school, taking care of two kids, doing volunteer work and many other.

i'm sympathetic, i really am. but a major problem of yours lies within your attitude for your below average GPA and DAT scores (however, your DAT scores are about average) --> see quote above. we all could have excuses why we got a D in this class or didn't reach our potential on the DAT. the bigger person puts all the excuses behind them and mans up to their mistakes while convincing adcoms about the positives of the mistakes NOT the negatives. by making excuses you are just proving that you haven't learned anything.

in addition, adcoms won't feel sorry about your situation. they're interested in recruiting students that PERFORM (i.e. pass courses and boards). with all your obligations combined with your excuses there is a good chance you may flake out.

sorry if this came off as harsh, i swear it wasn't intended to put you down in any way; however, i wanted to provide a perspective that the others didn't....probably the perspective that adcoms see when reviewing your application.

good luck & let us know how the cycle turns out!
jb!

OK, this is my story: I took the DAT 3 times, and also this is the third time I am applying to Dental School. My last DAT scores are:
Bio 20
Gen Chem 19
Org Chem 14
PAT 19
RC 16
QR 14
TS 18
AA 17

GPA 3.39

Right know I am disparate. If I don’t get in this cycle I don’t know what I am going to do. I have great extracurricular, volunteering work, community services and all that. Also I’ve been working in 3 dental offices. I am afraid to retake the DAT, I could do worse, and because of my family I don’t have enough time to restudy.
Please, tell me if I have any chance, at any school. The scores on this forum are amazing. If all the applicants are getting this kind of scores, then I am screwed. If somebody knows anybody who got in with similar stats please let me know.
Thanks for any response in advance and I really wish you good luck!

have you taken a dat review course!! with all of the money you have shelled out applying 3 yrs. you should really consider taking a course. i took the kaplan online course ($1000 vs. the $3000 classroom course), and my scores DEFINITELY improved, but the course doesn't really reteach you the subject areas like o.chem, g. chem and bio. to study for those areas i checked out books from the public library (free:D ) and read those.

i definitely recommend the online course. you save 2K and you get the SAME study aids as the classroom course, and you can work at your own pace!!!!:thumbup:

can you take the dat again? i thought you already took it 3 times

I thought you could take it more than 3 times, but schools will only see the 3 most recent scores you have. I'm not sure though.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of schools now only consider applicants who have taken the DAT 3 or less times.

there was a new rule made this summer that you can only take the DAT three times now

I thought the 3-take limit was not effective until january 2007.

Don't be discouraged Maxilla. I don't think your DAT scores are that bad. In undergrad, I had a 3.0. I went to grad school (Masters) and I received a 3.6. I have worked on cancer research for over 1.5 yrs now. I got 16/16 on my first DAT in 2004 and I received an 18/18 on the most recent. 18 is about average for most of last years class enrollees. I just don't see what the difference would be bt your situation and mine...and I refuse to get discouraged. Eventually, my time will come to get in... I'm just waiting for that time...praying my interviews work out well for me. It is more in God's hands at this point than mine. When you have done all you can, don't mean to sound too religious, but there comes a point when it is out of your control. If you want it bad enough you will get in! I'm not sure however how an admissions committee would look at you using your children and other work as an excuse for not having time to study etc. I may be wrong, but dental school will def. be harder...they may think, hey..if the candidate can't handle studying with children before dental school, how will they handle it IN dental school. That's my only thought...other than that, good luck, and I dont see the difference in your applying and mine. Do you? Anyone?

I thought the 3-take limit was not effective until january 2007.

That's what I heard too but regardless of the date, what do you guys think of the 3-test limit? I'm worried about that.

OK, now I am going crazy: last week AADSAS updated that Meharry denied my application. Today when I checked the status, it showed: Dental Admissions Committee is reveiewing applicant's file.
So what the heck, can they go back and forward like this, just to play with our minds???:scared:

LOL...I think this happened with everyone. Mr.Guitar's and mine said the same. I think it is a screwup somewhere between Meharry and AADSAS. This hasnt been the first time this cycle something like this has happened. My rejection letter from Meharry came in the mail yesterday.

Don't be discouraged Maxilla. I don't think your DAT scores are that bad. In undergrad, I had a 3.0. I went to grad school (Masters) and I received a 3.6. I have worked on cancer research for over 1.5 yrs now. I got 16/16 on my first DAT in 2004 and I received an 18/18 on the most recent. 18 is about average for most of last years class enrollees. I just don't see what the difference would be bt your situation and mine...and I refuse to get discouraged. Eventually, my time will come to get in... I'm just waiting for that time...praying my interviews work out well for me. It is more in God's hands at this point than mine. When you have done all you can, don't mean to sound too religious, but there comes a point when it is out of your control. If you want it bad enough you will get in! I'm not sure however how an admissions committee would look at you using your children and other work as an excuse for not having time to study etc. I may be wrong, but dental school will def. be harder...they may think, hey..if the candidate can't handle studying with children before dental school, how will they handle it IN dental school. That's my only thought...other than that, good luck, and I dont see the difference in your applying and mine. Do you? Anyone?

Thanks alot. Maybe you are right, I don't know. By the way congrats for your 1st interview, at least you got one so far.:)
The thing is, studying with children I got a 4.0 gpa in all the prereq. I just messed up with some more advanced classes and my gpa went down.
Good luck to you !!!!!:luck:

Max,
I am certain you are VERY, very intelligent... with, or without children keeping you busy... I can't imagine how that must be, but I admire what you are doing. Don't worry, I am confident you will someday be a dentist...so stick with it! :) Hopefully you and I will both be dentists within 5 years from this date ... then we can look back, laugh a bit and open a practice together. What do you think? ;)

Hi
I can empathize w/you. I totally remember being in your shoes a couple of years ago. I too was a pre-dent wondering whether I'd be able to get in and have a chance being that I'm an older female and have children. Granted my DAT scores were a bit higher and my GPA was a bit higher also. I know ASDOH strongly considers candidates who have great volunteer background. However, recently since there has been so many applicants to our school, the standards have slowly increased, hence matriculating student's GPA's and DAT's have increased as well.
Keep your chin up and keep trying to get in. It will pay at the end. I wish you luck in pursuing your dream. Don't let it go and keep forking ahead. You are welcome to PM me if you have any ?s.

So I thought today was my lucky day. I got a letter from University of Detroit Mercy saying that they have received my application from AADSAS and in the next three-four weeks they will send another letter acknowledging any supplemental application materials.
At the beginning I thought it was an invitation for an interview, but I was also happy I didn’t get another rejection!
I don’t understand why they need another three to four week?!?. I sent everything to AADSAS in June. Also I sent the application fee to the school.
I was wondering if somebody else got the same letter or an invitation for an interview.
Good luck to you all!!!:luck:

May I ask how you plan on balancing dental school with work,kids, etc.....? If you couldn't find time to study for the DAT, then dental school may be nearly impossible. Maybe you should apply to USC or NYU since their students have more freetime with the PBL (Problem Based Learning) curric.

kids? well, dental school is a great time for your kids to learn to become independent. I say it's time for a lifelong lesson for them kids.

we all could have excuses why we got a D in this class or didn't reach our potential on the DAT. the bigger person puts all the excuses behind them and mans up to their mistakes while convincing adcoms about the positives of the mistakes NOT the negatives. by making excuses you are just proving that you haven't learned anything.

in addition, adcoms won't feel sorry about your situation. they're interested in recruiting students that PERFORM (i.e. pass courses and boards). with all your obligations combined with your excuses there is a good chance you may flake out.

jb!

This was actually a very honest and helpful post. I, too hate making excuses.

If the ADCOM was to ask me why I received a D+ in Biochemistry, I would say "because I was not working hard enough." It probably isnt the best answer... but I think its better than placing the blame on having 2 jobs and being an RA. (Taking on all that extra work was MY choice, and it turned out to be a wrong one, but it was MY choice nontheless)

Excuses are used for the times when things are out of your control. 9 times out of 10, the poor grades students receive are related to something they brought on themselves.

Hopefully, they wont ask me why I got a D+, but if they do... I hope they wont hate my answer! :p

Is this 3 times a year, or for life?

Straight off the ADA website:

Important Announcement—DAT Testing Eligibility Policy Update NEW!

Effective January 2007, examinees who have attended three or more DAT exams must apply for special permission to take the test again. For test administration purposes, anyone who has been seated at a computer workstation at a Prometric Test Center and started the exam by electronically agreeing to the confidentiality statement will be deemed to have “attended” the exam. This policy is effective beginning January 2007 and includes any previous examination attempts. Requests for additional testing must be submitted in writing to the Department of Testing Services and must include evidence of current (within the previous 18 months) intent to apply to dental school. Acceptable forms of evidence may include: 1) a copy of a completed and submitted application to dental school, 2) a letter of rejection from a dental school, 3) a letter from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest or reapply, or 4) a letter on school stationery from a college or university health profession advisor or instructor verifying that you are applying/reapplying to dental school.

Another rejection: University of Pennsylvania:( :( :(

sorry to hear about UPenn but have faith and you will start dental school next year.