Technology My Treo 650..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
southerndoc said:
Sure, rub it in. Oh, look at me, look at me! I have a brand new Treo 650. Look at me in awe and admire me for the magnificence that I am.

Seriously, how is it? I'm thinking of buying one. They look so cool... and practical!

It is both cool and practical.

Palm pilot

Wireless internet

Phone

MP3 player

Camera/MPEG recorder

Powerpoint/Word, etc...

Everything else in between...the only thing I would change is that you cant install programs directly to the SD card, like you often can with pocket pc (or at least I havent figured out how yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
How does it access the internet? Does it have Wi-Fi?

Treo 650....so dreamy....must have treo 650....

man and I thought I was fancy because I had a pen the had a built in light :(

couple of questions for ya mr. fancypants,

First off, if you dont mind me asking, how much did that puppy set you back, so I can get an idea of how much I they are going for these days?

Second, if you get cell phone service from say sprint, but then you move somewhere else and want to switch carriers to say cingular or verison, can you still use the treo 650.

Reason why I ask, is because where I am now (ohio) sprint seems to be the carrier of choice, but if I match next year in say new orleans or utah or god knows where, sprint may suck there big time, so I might want to switch to another carrier.

Also what is a unlocked phone? any ideas?

congrats on you fancy cellphone/pda/wi fi internet/ dishwasher/ shoe shiner/ whatever else that fancy phone can do........

goose

Goose...Fraba said:
Treo 650....so dreamy....must have treo 650....

man and I thought I was fancy because I had a pen the had a built in light :(

couple of questions for ya mr. fancypants,

First off, if you dont mind me asking, how much did that puppy set you back, so I can get an idea of how much I they are going for these days?

Second, if you get cell phone service from say sprint, but then you move somewhere else and want to switch carriers to say cingular or verison, can you still use the treo 650.

Reason why I ask, is because where I am now (ohio) sprint seems to be the carrier of choice, but if I match next year in say new orleans or utah or god knows where, sprint may suck there big time, so I might want to switch to another carrier.

Also what is a unlocked phone? any ideas?

congrats on you fancy cellphone/pda/wi fi internet/ dishwasher/ shoe shiner/ whatever else that fancy phone can do........

goose

1) 419 w/contract...after rebates it will cost 289

2) cingular and sprint for sure have the treo, i think us cellular does as well.

3) unlocked phones are about $600...no, seriously, I think they are just phones that you can buy contract-free, permitting you to set up your own (better?) monthly deal, and not pay penalties if you want to cancel early. I really dont know.

It was definitely a luxury purchase, but my old contract was up AND i needed a new palm pilot. In the end, I came out okay.

A Sprint phone will not work if you're switching to another provider (other than perhaps Verizon). Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA technology for their wireless networks. The rest of the wireless carriers (except Nextel, which uses a completely different and outdated technology) use GSM.

Sessamoid said:
A Sprint phone will not work if you're switching to another provider (other than perhaps Verizon). Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA technology for their wireless networks. The rest of the wireless carriers (except Nextel, which uses a completely different and outdated technology) use GSM.

Isn't it possible to just unlock your Treo 650 if you want to switch GSM carriers, just like people do with cell phones?

Oallostavros said:
Isn't it possible to just unlock your Treo 650 if you want to switch GSM carriers, just like people do with cell phones?
Yes.

southerndoc said:
No wifi (I don't think), but it does have Bluetooth. You can access the internet through your cellular company. (Some charge by the amount of data transferred, some offer unlimited plans.)

Yeah, but those cellular internet connections are pretty slow. If the treo 650 had wifi it would be the complete package and I'd definitely get it, but for some reason they left it out :mad:

Yeah, they made a really dumb move there. Anyway, how slow are the cingular internet connections? Are we talking atleast over 100kb?

Sledge2005 said:
Yeah, but those cellular internet connections are pretty slow. If the treo 650 had wifi it would be the complete package and I'd definitely get it, but for some reason they left it out :mad:

Sledge2005 said:
They left it out because 802.11b is a very power-hungry link to run. It would seriously shorten the battery life of the device. With Sprint's Vision, I usually get around 100-120 kpbs, and Cingular/AT&T's Edge wireless is supposedly comparable, though perhaps a bit slower. It's clearly faster than 56K modems.