My wicked sick PAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sama951

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, because I have an english midterm tomorrow that I don't want to study for, and because there's 600 posts about how impossible TFE is, and also because I'm good at TFE and feel like being a hero, I'm gonna make a little tutorial where I post a couple of them and talk you through the answer! After I do that, you can scan/post any other ones you want and I'll do my best to explain them. I don't use any weird strategies, I just look at the lines and visualize it in 3D. The tips and tricks you hear about might help narrow it down in some cases but if you can visualize it properly you'll be able to get every question every time.

Oh and excuse the fact that there's writing all over my examples, haha.

Ok first one..
Original.jpg

Alright this is a good example for explaining what solid and dashed lines mean.

I assume everyone knows what the different views represent... If not then think of it this way... Imagine a person looking into a camera lens.

A straight up mugshot of the person's face is a "Front" view. Now if you take the camera and move it up, then pivot it and aim it downwards, you've got a "Top" view. Now for the end view, take the camera and put it back in front of the person's face...then you'd take a side-shot of the person's left cheek (but since you're the camera man and you're facing them, you're moving the camera to your right side).

Ok great.

First, looking at the top view, you have one solid line that goes all the way across, from left to right. That means that from a side view, you're only going to have one change in height. Now remember that a straight line like that can mean a straight up drop in height, or it can mean there's a slope with a gradual decline. Looking at all the answers though, it's pretty obvious that we're not looking at any slopes. However, every one of the answers has a single drop in elevation on the top part, so that little bit of information isn't going to narrow it down too dramatically. But... dun dun dun.. look at choice C. Choice C does have a drop in elevation at the top, which is what we decided we're looking for, but it's got the drop at the position of one of the dashed lines (you can tell by the position and thickness of the notch). That's bad! I'm sure this is a trap some people fall into, but yeah, don't. Look at "Fig 1" to see which solid line I'm talking about and where it corresponds to a drop in height in each of the answers (green). Red line = danger = don't fricken do it. Dashed lines do not represent any changes in elevation on the surface they appear on (did that make sense?). Dashed lines are there to show you that there's some kind of height difference deeper into the object, or on the other side all together (what I mean is, it could be a hole that passes through the middle of the object, I'll explain more later if I find an example)

Fig 1
Fig1.jpg

On to the dashed lines we go.

So we've got three horizontal dashed lines on the top view. That means that somewhere in the object, you've got at least 3 extra "walls" (you'll see why I say 'at least' in a second). In other words, there's some kind of height change somewhere that isnt visible from the top. Based on the relative positions of the lines, you'll be able to figure out where the 'height' differences are supposed to be.

Let's compare this to the answer choices. Choice A has 3 walls that you cant see from the top view, D has 4. However, look at the orange line in Fig 2 with the question mark. This wall is lined up perfectly with the blue height change that we discussed above. Because of this, its dashed lines won't show up in the top view (for no reason other than the fact that if you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line...you get a solid line :D).

All the walls are spaced apart proportionally to the dashed lines in the top view of the original figure in A and D. Look at B though, it only has 2 of these "walls" that we established you couldn't see from the top. Look at Fig 2. Green = good, red = bad, blue = done, orange = tricky POS.

Fig 2
Fig2.jpg

Great, so we've narrowed it down to A or D. We've done about all we can do with the top view so let's go to the front view. Here we've got 2 solid lines, so from a head-on view, there's 2 height changes. From everything I've said so far about the top view, this should be really easy to figure out, so I'm just gonna include a final figure (green = solid lines and what they correspond with, blue = stuff we already talked about, red = why D is wrong, and orange = dashed lines and what they correspond to)

Notice also how high up the notches go in D, I've highlighted them in red. You should notice that these are way, way higher up than the dashed lines on the front view, so that's another way to eliminate it.

Fig 3
Fig3.jpg

Alright so after all that we can safely conclude that the answer is indeed C.

Just kidding...:rolleyes:.......It's A.

So yeah, that took way longer than I thought it would and I'm thinking it might have been too simple of an example to be helpful... I hope it helps someone though. If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
the pic isnt coming up for me :(

try uploading the picture to photobucket.com and then posting it here

Thanks for all the tips for TFE. It seems to kind of work with just the square ones, but I am having trouble figuring out the ones that are pyramidal, or have holes. Also, do you have any tips for the aperture passing or the folding patterns? My test is on Tues and I am freaking out. I get the hole punching idea, angles, and cube counting...But it's a crapshoot for the rest of the DAT.:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the tips for TFE. It seems to kind of work with just the square ones, but I am having trouble figuring out the ones that are pyramidal, or have holes. Also, do you have any tips for the aperture passing or the folding patterns? My test is on Tues and I am freaking out. I get the hole punching idea, angles, and cube counting...But it's a crapshoot for the rest of the DAT.:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Post me an example of a TFE/Aperture that you have problems with and I'll do it, I don't have any more to post and I can't talk you through it without an example

Go back to page 1 of this thread and you'll see an entire pattern folding tutorial that's about twice as long as the TFE

Good luck on your test

Ok these are the ones hygiene101 posted. They're kind of ugly and really hard to explain but I'll do my best.

First one:

Fig 1
Ex1Orig.jpg

We can eliminate A immediately by looking at the top view. As you can see, it's some kind of arrow that's pointing to the right and, because of the solid line going horizontally in the top view (green in Fig 2), you know it has a drop either above or below this line (in this example it happens to be below - match it with the green lines in all of the examples). The arrowhead is continuous at this height when you go upwards (still looking at the top view), but A has another drop on the right side, so it has to be wrong. All of the other possible choices have this part outlined in blue, matching up to the original figure. If you're having trouble visualizing it, I drew over the very tip of the arrowhead in red in Fig 2.

Fig 2
Ex1somelines.jpg

Alright now, to eliminate some more, take a look at Fig 3. The part outlined in blue in the side view were all solid lines. This means theres some kind of indentation at the side of the object which would be represented with dashed lines in the front view. I've also outlined the top part of it in the top view. As you can see, B and C have the matching dashed lines while D is off in it's own world. I think the reason D would throw some people off is if they misinterpreted the dashed lines in the side view and assumed the indentation was a small one. So yeah, D's out.

Fig 3
Ex12nd.jpg

Now to choose between B and C we return to the side view, specifically those dashed lines. Take a look at Fig 4. The dashed lines in the side view that are outlined in blue mean that there's some kind of height change in the object that you can't see from the side view - these refer to that little rectangle that's visible at the top of the top view. Now looking at B and C, you just need to compare the dashed lines on the right side and see which ones match up. I've outlined the parts that match in blue and the part that doesnt match in red.

Fig 4
Ex1last.jpg

Yay it's C!

Ok now the second one

Fig 5
Ex2orig.jpg

This one's a little easier but it's gonna be a megab!tch to explain. You can quickly eliminate two of the answer choices, A and D, by looking at the front view. Look at Fig 6. Note that I've highlighted some stuff in blue, green, and orange that matches up in all 4 of the answer choices. This isn't to narrow it down, it's just so you guys can see what they represent for some extra "exposure" :). Anyways, the important thing here is to look at the front view and the little solid notch that's outlined in red. This mean's that, looking at it from a front view, there's gonna be a little stumpy thing peeking down at you from behind the "arm" part. This stumpy thing is outlined in B and C, and as you can see it is absent from A and D.

Fig 6
Ex21.jpg

Now to differentiate between B and C we'd have to take a look at the top view (and the end view to a lesser extent). Take a look at Fig 7. The dashed lines that are outlined in blue represent that there's some kind of notch or something hiding behind the arm and the other little notch thing I pointed out in the example before. B is the only answer choice that has corresponding dashed lines to make up for these... OK This is super hard to explain in words so just look at the wonderful color-codedness of Fig 7 to see what matches with what

Fig 7
Ex2final.jpg

On to the last one.

Fig 8
ex3.jpg

Ok so, I'm tired - forgive me for cramming everything into one figure - but I think it works for this example since there's a bunch of little nitpicky things. Look at Fig 9. Let's talk about blue first (sorry I forgot to label it on the end view but I trust you'll figure it out). I just wanted to point out that you can't tell whether this is a square or a triangle just based on the two views we were provided with. The ends of the triangle line up with eachother perfectly so it's not like you're gonna see any dashed lines anywhere. Ok, let's talk about teal. This angled line has no place in life and should be killed. There's nothing anywhere to indicate it and I think the only thing that could indicate it would be some more dashed lines in the top-left of the front view. A's out.

Let's do green now. See the slope that's outlined in green in the end view, and how the part behind it towers above it as a tall and mighty rectangle? Well, this obviously means we need to see some solid-linage indicating the slope in the top view. I've painted the sloped faces green in the examples that have it. The one with the pepto-bismol paint is wrong because it's not broken anywhere like the other ones are.

Ok so now we've got B and C to choose from. Let's do red now. See the red line in the front view? I added that in, it's not real. If it was there however, B would be a valid choice because a line there would correspond to the slope that's outlined in the same color for you.

After all that, it's C!

Fig 9
ex3final.jpg

I hope that helped and I'm really sorry if the last one was confusing lol, these were really hard to explain. I think this should be good though.

osimsDDS Can you explain line counting in this example? I still dont get it lol

I agree, I dont understand this whole counting the lines either???? It seems less confusing, yet more time confusing to just use your perceptual ability!

For those specific examples that were just given line counting wont work because all the answers have the same number of lines for...I think the person was trying to show how line counting wont work for those examples which is fine....

Line counting is a way to narrow answers down to like 2 and maybe even 1, sometimes it works where you will count the lines and get the answer without even thinking haha

Let me for example use the Figure 5 above...You see how the top view sits above the front view and the front view is the one you are trying to find...so basically count the lines vertically from left to right or right to left doesnt matter...now count the lines from right to left on the answer choices...if they match and no others match then you have an answer if not then now use the End view and count the lines from top to bottom and match with the front view of the answer choices...again if it matches you have an answer.

If both top view lines and end view lines match the answer choices it is an answer if the top view matches but the end view doesnt then its not.

FOR THIS EXAMPLE IT DOESNT WORK THOUGH BECAUSE I THINK THE PERSON DID IT ON PURPOSE...just go back to old perceptual ability

IF you use line counting to narrow down the answers and then use perceptual ability you will get 15/15 every time...

on fig 7 top,view what does the dash square on the bottom below the blue square represent

also when counting lines do u count circles as 2 lines or3

I can't figure out how to put pictures on. I have a TFE picture that I want to post but I can't put it on......

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/113zami/tfe.jpg
I have a question, the answer in this image is C but can you tell me how can you tell that its not D, ie how can you tell that that line should be solid and not dotted??
thanks

yup keypox is totally right, but to put it in other words, that line represents the edge of the diamond where two sloped faces meet. That edge is visible in the end view so it's solid

If you wanted to be super technical it would be a dashed line and a solid line, because there's another edge directly behind it - but when you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line it's just a solid line :D

I can't figure out how to put pictures on. I have a TFE picture that I want to post but I can't put it on......

go to www.photobucket.com , make an account and upload the picture there. Then when you want to post it here, start a reply to the thread and click the little mountain picture on top of the Message box - copy the link in there and it'll show up

For Crack pat 61-63 cube counting on test #1 youll see three cubes on the lower level and then you see one in the back lower level. How do you know that there arent 2 cubes on the lower level that arent pictured? I think the whole illusion thing on crack dat pat is confusing me. Thanks

go to www.photobucket.com , make an account and upload the picture there. Then when you want to post it here, start a reply to the thread and click the little mountain picture on top of the Message box - copy the link in there and it'll show up

Thank you very much!!!!

pat-2.jpg

I have follow all the step shown in this treat but I can't understand why this one is the right one???
Can you help me sama951

The last 3 PAT questions that SAM just went through [requested by someone else] seem to be out of the PAT level. Go check the real PAT questions on ADA 's official website, and you will see that the questions are not at this level. I have not taken DAT yet, but I kinda feel that some of these courses or online programs are freaking the hell out of the students.
Harry

i have a quick question for anyone who can answer, using the counting lines principle for TFE, if you have a circle, is it going to be 3 horizontal lines and 3 vertical lines or 2 horizontal lines and 2 vertical lines? i'm having trouble figuring it out for some reason.

wow sama you are pretty good!! I don't even understand what those lines mean and I don't even know the difference between dotted and solid lines. I always just skip this section on the test. I only know how to count lines, so I get lucky on few of them.

pat-2.jpg

I have follow all the step shown in this treat but I can't understand why this one is the right one???
Can you help me sama951

I'd love to help you but that picture is WAY too small for me to see lol. Could you maybe try scanning it again or blowing it up or something?

wow sama you are pretty good!! I don't even understand what those lines mean and I don't even know the difference between dotted and solid lines. I always just skip this section on the test. I only know how to count lines, so I get lucky on few of them.

Nooooooooo don't skip this section!! Unlike the lame angle ranking section, you can almost be guaranteed 100% on this section if you understand how to do it. Look at the first tutorial for an explanation on solid/dotted lines and go from there!!

I'd love to help you but that picture is WAY too small for me to see lol. Could you maybe try scanning it again or blowing it up or something?

Nooooooooo don't skip this section!! Unlike the lame angle ranking section, you can almost be guaranteed 100% on this section if you understand how to do it. Look at the first tutorial for an explanation on solid/dotted lines and go from there!!
Yea I read your first tutorial and half of the last one. For some reason I just can't seem to understand, I guess my brain doesnt think the same way you do. I hate this section so much, but I will try to come back to it later on once I am done studying everything else and I have time to study for this section. Thanks though!

Can someone help me with this problem. answer is C and how you tell diff between C and D..thanks

Attachments

• pat1.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:
There is only one black trapezoid. And it has two triangles attached to its sides. One is white (left) and the other is black (right).
In the answer D, the white triangle is on the right side of trapezoid. Thus, it's incorrect.

Can someone help me with this problem. answer is C and how you tell diff between C and D..thanks
I don't really know how to explain this without drawing but let me try. The shaded triangle is directly attached to that shaded rhombus looking thing, so there is no way to have plain triangle attached to the rhombus when we fold it inward. When you fold it, both of those trangles should be shaded, but if you can't visualize it then you can still eliminate by thinking what I just said earlier. In choice D the triangle that is upward (among those 2 trianlge that are plain) has to be shaded because it is directly attached to the shaded rhombus, and the pattern showing in the question shows that the triangle attached to the shaded rhombus is shaded as well. So even if you can't visualize the right figure, you can eliminate D. Do you see what I am saying?

I don't really know how to explain this without drawing but let me try. The shaded triangle is directly attached to that shaded rhombus looking thing, so there is no way to have plain triangle attached to the rhombus when we fold it inward. When you fold it, both of those trangles should be shaded, but if you can't visualize it then you can still eliminate by thinking what I just said earlier. In choice D the triangle that is upward (among those 2 trianlge that are plain) has to be shaded because it is directly attached to the shaded rhombus, and the pattern showing in the question shows that the triangle attached to the shaded rhombus is shaded as well. So even if you can't visualize the right figure, you can eliminate D. Do you see what I am saying?

I do!

but if oral09 doesnt, s/he should send me a pm and let me know and i'll make a drawing

can you explain the keyhole one? maybe show a simple and an complex example ? I can't get higher than 7/15

some PAT from topscore test 2..someone help me with this please. Thank alot

Attachments

• topscore 2.doc
    44 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
some PAT from topscore test 2..someone help me with this please. Thank alot

The keyhole one is kind of lame.. I see where you're coming from but I can see how it's flat and not curved on the left side there... Just look at the little face you drew the left arrow pointing at and you can see how the lines are all pretty perpendicular. The side on the right is pretty obviously slanted though.

The TFE one.. yeah once again I know what you mean by "it doesn't look proportional" but B is really the only answer choice that makes any sense out of all of them because of the fact that the vertical line is dotted and not solid. Also, in the front view, the left side is a lot shorter than the right side, so yeah, I dunno if that made sense.

The pattern folding problem is messed right up. All of your folds are supposed to come out toward you, they don't go into the page like in this question. Don't even worry about this one...

The keyhole one is kind of lame.. I see where you're coming from but I can see how it's flat and not curved on the left side there... Just look at the little face you drew the left arrow pointing at and you can see how the lines are all pretty perpendicular. The side on the right is pretty obviously slanted though.

The TFE one.. yeah once again I know what you mean by "it doesn't look proportional" but B is really the only answer choice that makes any sense out of all of them because of the fact that the vertical line is dotted and not solid. Also, in the front view, the left side is a lot shorter than the right side, so yeah, I dunno if that made sense.

The pattern folding problem is messed right up. All of your folds are supposed to come out toward you, they don't go into the page like in this question. Don't even worry about this one...
Thanks Sama951. It helps alot.

1.jpg

I understand how E is correct answer, but I looks like A is possible. Any thought?

Last edited:
it looks like it's too short. it seems that you would need a longer triangle to accomodate the shape. but that's just my guess.

1.jpg

I understand how E is correct answer, but I looks like A is possible. Any thought?

hmmm tough one... I agree with you that A is possible... I think I even like it more than E lol. It might be that the keyhole isn't tall enoug... I dunno about this one dude

139206.4.h600196img01.jpg

139206.4.h600196img02.jpg

img_radio_o.gif
img_radio_x.gif
A.
img_radio_o.gif
img_radio_x.gif
B.
img_radio_o.gif
img_radio_x.gif
C.
img_radio_o.gif
img_radio_x.gif
D.Ok so I was confronted with this pattern problem and was having trouble. I don't think it is C, it just happened to click that choice. Sama, I am extremely impressed with your explanations!
Thanks for the help

Well, Sama has been showing how to do the PAT, let me try this and Sama can double check on it. First this is 4 double side and 2 single side. the hard thing in here is find which are the double side and which are the single side.

qwq.jpg

Look at the long chain, the double side have to be in that chain, so we assume that the first two is the double side, labeled yellow. But you see the 2 single yellow on top will be overlap. you this is not a double side.
Same thing with the rest.

The double side is possible in that chain is this

aa.jpg

Choice A is incorrect in you see the small black box is next to the top white, when they fold it, it in wrong position

12331.jpg

Choice D is look right, because you see the double side on top and the double side facing us have 2 small black box next to each other.

2121.jpg

Choice B, you see the white side box, so the box on its top and left will be the one on 2 double side. However, notice the 2 small black box on the original pic, they are NOT close to each other, but on the folded box, they are next to each other, so it's not correct.

24342.jpg

Choice C, the side box can not be like that, so it's not correct either..

3425345.jpg

Finally, D is the one.

SAMA need to double check on this.

pat.jpg

Finally I was able to make a big picture, I can't understand the answer....

Holy crap, I don't really blame you, this one's hard lol

Before I make a tutorial for it... is the answer D?

Sam, come on! I'm not that good at TFE, but seriously this one is like one of the easiest ones I have seen. I just got the answer in 20 seconds in my mind.