My wicked sick PAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sama951

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, because I have an english midterm tomorrow that I don't want to study for, and because there's 600 posts about how impossible TFE is, and also because I'm good at TFE and feel like being a hero, I'm gonna make a little tutorial where I post a couple of them and talk you through the answer! After I do that, you can scan/post any other ones you want and I'll do my best to explain them. I don't use any weird strategies, I just look at the lines and visualize it in 3D. The tips and tricks you hear about might help narrow it down in some cases but if you can visualize it properly you'll be able to get every question every time.

Oh and excuse the fact that there's writing all over my examples, haha.

Ok first one..
Original.jpg

Alright this is a good example for explaining what solid and dashed lines mean.

I assume everyone knows what the different views represent... If not then think of it this way... Imagine a person looking into a camera lens.

A straight up mugshot of the person's face is a "Front" view. Now if you take the camera and move it up, then pivot it and aim it downwards, you've got a "Top" view. Now for the end view, take the camera and put it back in front of the person's face...then you'd take a side-shot of the person's left cheek (but since you're the camera man and you're facing them, you're moving the camera to your right side).

Ok great.

First, looking at the top view, you have one solid line that goes all the way across, from left to right. That means that from a side view, you're only going to have one change in height. Now remember that a straight line like that can mean a straight up drop in height, or it can mean there's a slope with a gradual decline. Looking at all the answers though, it's pretty obvious that we're not looking at any slopes. However, every one of the answers has a single drop in elevation on the top part, so that little bit of information isn't going to narrow it down too dramatically. But... dun dun dun.. look at choice C. Choice C does have a drop in elevation at the top, which is what we decided we're looking for, but it's got the drop at the position of one of the dashed lines (you can tell by the position and thickness of the notch). That's bad! I'm sure this is a trap some people fall into, but yeah, don't. Look at "Fig 1" to see which solid line I'm talking about and where it corresponds to a drop in height in each of the answers (green). Red line = danger = don't fricken do it. Dashed lines do not represent any changes in elevation on the surface they appear on (did that make sense?). Dashed lines are there to show you that there's some kind of height difference deeper into the object, or on the other side all together (what I mean is, it could be a hole that passes through the middle of the object, I'll explain more later if I find an example)

Fig 1
Fig1.jpg

On to the dashed lines we go.

So we've got three horizontal dashed lines on the top view. That means that somewhere in the object, you've got at least 3 extra "walls" (you'll see why I say 'at least' in a second). In other words, there's some kind of height change somewhere that isnt visible from the top. Based on the relative positions of the lines, you'll be able to figure out where the 'height' differences are supposed to be.

Let's compare this to the answer choices. Choice A has 3 walls that you cant see from the top view, D has 4. However, look at the orange line in Fig 2 with the question mark. This wall is lined up perfectly with the blue height change that we discussed above. Because of this, its dashed lines won't show up in the top view (for no reason other than the fact that if you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line...you get a solid line :D).

All the walls are spaced apart proportionally to the dashed lines in the top view of the original figure in A and D. Look at B though, it only has 2 of these "walls" that we established you couldn't see from the top. Look at Fig 2. Green = good, red = bad, blue = done, orange = tricky POS.

Fig 2
Fig2.jpg

Great, so we've narrowed it down to A or D. We've done about all we can do with the top view so let's go to the front view. Here we've got 2 solid lines, so from a head-on view, there's 2 height changes. From everything I've said so far about the top view, this should be really easy to figure out, so I'm just gonna include a final figure (green = solid lines and what they correspond with, blue = stuff we already talked about, red = why D is wrong, and orange = dashed lines and what they correspond to)

Notice also how high up the notches go in D, I've highlighted them in red. You should notice that these are way, way higher up than the dashed lines on the front view, so that's another way to eliminate it.

Fig 3
Fig3.jpg

Alright so after all that we can safely conclude that the answer is indeed C.

Just kidding...:rolleyes:.......It's A.

So yeah, that took way longer than I thought it would and I'm thinking it might have been too simple of an example to be helpful... I hope it helps someone though. If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
how can you tell the spot I drew over have cube or not?
21666666666.jpg
YOu can not really tell, so I think you have to assume there is no cube there. I just know that in cube counting whenever you don't see a place, you gotta assume there is nothing there. In this case, we can't prove the presence of a cube over there, as it can be both. I would not count that one! Just my 2 cents.

YOu can not really tell, so I think you have to assume there is no cube there. I just know that in cube counting whenever you don't see a place, you gotta assume there is nothing there. In this case, we can't prove the presence of a cube over there, as it can be both. I would not count that one! Just my 2 cents.

actually... ACTUALLY

1) You would have to assume there was a cube there because, without one, the structure would not be continuous (cubes being connected at their corners do not count as continuous!)

2) Don't practise on these... the real ones look different/are prettier

Edit: I just noticed that the three-high tower on the right side is attached by its corner... stop using these for practise you're gonna screw yourself over for the real thing lol

Sam, come on! I'm not that good at TFE, but seriously this one is like one of the easiest ones I have seen. I just got the answer in 20 seconds in my mind.

:( I'm sorry I musta been having a bad TFE day, please forgive me.

But to the OP of the question, I'll make a colorful tutorial for it soon, just not now because its 1:30 AM

Members don't see this ad :)
actually... ACTUALLY

1) You would have to assume there was a cube there because, without one, the structure would not be continuous (cubes being connected at their corners do not count as continuous!)

2) Don't practise on these... the real ones look different/are prettier

Edit: I just noticed that the three-high tower on the right side is attached by its corner... stop using these for practise you're gonna screw yourself over for the real thing lol

Nice that you noticed that! I was gonna say how come the last row is not contiuous. But, Are you sure the structure should be continuouts?
P.S I agree with Sama. These are bewildering and will only bring up confusion.

[/b][/color]

Nice that you noticed that! I was gonna say how come the last row is not contiuous. But, Are you sure the structure should be continuouts?
P.S I agree with Sama. These are bewildering and will only bring up confusion.

yup I'm 100% sure; if the structure didn't have to be continuous, how would you know whether or not to count a "hidden" block like the one in this example!

Just remember that being connected at the corner = not continuous and you'll always be able to tell when there has to be a block in areas where your view is obstructed. If the structure is continuous without there being a block there, you assume that there isn't one.

Okay Mamona

Fig 1
tfemanomanoana-1.jpg

Harry was right, you can narrow this one down and find the answer super fast, but I'll include some color-codedness just so you can see what every line means. First off:

Fig 2
tfemanomanoana1.jpg

A is immediately eliminated because it's a fatty. If you look at the end view, you can tell how wide the structure is and A is DEFINITELY a lot fatter than what the end view shows us. That was easy enough to eliminate.

Now look at the lines highlighted in blue (this part's a bit tougher to explain but I'll do my best)... Since there's a gap where the blue lines are, and the object is slanting away, there's also going to be a gap in the top view. I think it's best to just look at C and D to see what I mean and compare it to B (which is wrong). If anyone can explain what I just said better than me please do, lol.

Anyways yeah, B's out.

Fig 3
tfemanomanoana2-1.jpg

Now that we've narrowed it down to C and D, there's really only one place we have to look to be able to choose the right answer. Look at the same lines as in Fig 2, this time highlighted in green. This "gap", because it's underneath that top horizontal bar, should have dashed lines when looking at it from the top view (because you can't see them directly from the top view). Looking at C and D, only D has dashed lines. These lines are highlighted in green in choice D and red in choice C so you can see which ones I'm talking about. That's pretty much it to be able to safely choose D as the answer, but just so you can see what every line means, I made Fig 4 which has everything color-coded.

Fig 4
tfemamona3.jpg

You can match up the colored lines in Fig 4 (and you'll probably want to look at them on Fig 1 which has no colored lines on it lol) which should help you see what each of the lines represents in the different views.

Hope this helps :)

also i am confused about what you said for that previous problem because in this problem
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001.jpg

you have cubes connected only at the corners and the correct answer to this question is C so , i guess you can have cubes connected only at the corners, and it doesn't matter if its continuous or not, because in this case obviosly its not continuous...please clarify

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/kk.jpg

how is the answer A ?? thanks
zoom in to see it beteer

I got to A by eliminating the other four choices in 20 seconds, and I'm not that good at PAT. you can simply eliminate the other choices so fast, because they have big obvious errors. A is the answer for the bottom-top passing, and it does make sense. The left side of the object has a 90 degree angle, while the right side is inclined. That is why you have that small cut for the middle section of A. I hope this helps.

This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks for being a worthy ambassador!!!

Lmao at "it's just a happy cube"

also i am confused about what you said for that previous problem because in this problem
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001.jpg

you have cubes connected only at the corners and the correct answer to this question is C so , i guess you can have cubes connected only at the corners, and it doesn't matter if its continuous or not, because in this case obviosly its not continuous...please clarify

okay

where is this question from?

my question to you is, if blocks COULD be connected at the corner and the structure still considered continuous, how would you be able to tell when you should/should not count blocks that you can't see?

Use Crack DAT PAT for the PAT, it's for real and doesnt have any weird stuff like this.

corners = not continuous on real DAT. If I'm wrong, someone who's taken the DAT please correct me

Members don't see this ad :)
okay

my question to you is, if blocks COULD be connected at the corner and the structure still considered continuous, how would you be able to tell when you should/should not count blocks that you can't see?

Use Crack DAT PAT for the PAT, it's for real and doesnt have any weird stuff like this.

corners = not continuous on real DAT. If I'm wrong, someone who's taken the DAT please correct me

it's from kaplan online exam#3, but I get what you're saying, unless its completely obvious that they're touching at the corners only like in this problem, then you use corners=not continuous rule

I did not look at your answer, and I got D. I find no reason why D would be wrong. Seems like a cube with a big hole hole in it that extends toward down, and then is followed with sth like an inverse pyramid that is sticking out below the cube.
Come on Sama, give us your idea;)

about cubes: Sama, I believe we should not count any cubes that we can't see, unless there is a hint in the picture telling us about the existence of an invisible cube]

that's was a kaplan question too and it says the correct answer is B, iam confused about both

got another question
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001-1.jpg

answer is B but how would the frond and end view look like if the answer was D, ie what do we have to change about the front and end view to make the answer D?
thanks

I think the tricky part here is the smaller square inside the cube in each answer choice. There's no way we could see that smaller square from the end or front view. If there was a big hole in the cube, then there shouldn't be any square inside of it and we should only see an inverse pyramid with solid lines as Harry said, but since the top view shows a smaller square inside the cube, then that should tell you that the cube is closed at the bottom and the last part of the "inverse pyramid" sticks out of the bottom of the cube in which we shouldn't be able to see from the top view!
I hope I explained it quasi clear! lol It's hard to explain TFE's although Sama's been mastering it!!!

Last edited:
On my DAT there were cubes not continuous with the rest. It was very clear how that layout was though. I did not have to decide if there was a cube or not which could go either way. All of the evidence needed was presented so you could only go one way. Cubes on the DAT were very easy compared to crack because it did not have this assuming and illusion crap.

okay

got another question
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001-1.jpg

answer is B but how would the frond and end view look like if the answer was D, ie what do we have to change about the front and end view to make the answer D?
thanks

to change the front and end views to make the answer D, the pointy part that sticks out at the bottom would have to be at a different angle than the angled parts inside the box

this is because in the top view in D, there's a solid rectangle in the middle which means that there's some kind of height/direction change, so basically for that to be true the pyramid part would have to be sticking out at different angles. D would be correct if that solid rectangle didnt exist

That plus what the others have said should help you but if not I'll see if I can draw something for it

On my DAT there were cubes not continuous with the rest. It was very clear how that layout was though. I did not have to decide if there was a cube or not which could go either way. All of the evidence needed was presented so you could only go one way. Cubes on the DAT were very easy compared to crack because it did not have this assuming and illusion crap.

THAT's really good to hear, esp since I'm doing well on crack's cubes!! :D

to change the front and end views to make the answer D, the pointy part that sticks out at the bottom would have to be at a different angle than the angled parts inside the box

this is because in the top view in D, there's a solid rectangle in the middle which means that there's some kind of height/direction change, so basically for that to be true the pyramid part would have to be sticking out at different angles. D would be correct if that solid rectangle didnt exist

That plus what the others have said should help you but if not I'll see if I can draw something for it

Sama, which solid rectangle are you talking about? There are two solid rectangles in each of B and D.

Sama, which solid rectangle are you talking about? There are two solid rectangles in each of B and D.

yeah.. i'm talking about that one

What I'm trying to say is that because of this solid rectangle in D, the pointy pyramid would have to change direction for it to be a valid choice. But in B because the lines corresponding to the tip of the pyramid are dashed and not solid, you're supposed to assume the rectangle represents a wall and the pyramid points are underneath it

does that make sense? lol sorry, tough one to explain and I think it'll be just as tough with pictures. I'm going to work now though...so sorry if I dont reply

What I'm trying to say is that because of this solid rectangle in D, the pointy pyramid would have to change direction for it to be a valid choice. But in B because the lines corresponding to the tip of the pyramid are dashed and not solid, you're supposed to assume the rectangle represents a wall and the pyramid points are underneath it

does that make sense? lol sorry, tough one to explain and I think it'll be just as tough with pictures. I'm going to work now though...so sorry if I dont reply

please draw something if you have time, thanks

Sama, based on what you say, I think you are assuming that the pointy pyramic [sticking at the bottom] is a full pyramid[let's say filled with concrete]. But how can we know this? if the pyramid is not full, then we can see those edges and don't need any dashed lines. Right?

I agree.

Can someone please explain to me why "B" is the correct answer for this TFE question? Thanks.

msdp_photo

P.S. you'll need to right click on the blue square with the question mark to see the picture.

I see a square with a red cross mark on the page. No blue square with question mark.

I agree.

Can someone please explain to me why "B" is the correct answer for this TFE question? Thanks.

msdp_photo

P.S. you'll need to right click on the blue square with the question mark to see the picture.

Try just posting a link to the question maybe

Sama, based on what you say, I think you are assuming that the pointy pyramic [sticking at the bottom] is a full pyramid[let's say filled with concrete]. But how can we know this? if the pyramid is not full, then we can see those edges and don't need any dashed lines. Right?

What, no lol

I'll try to draw something for it tonight:cool:

Here is the link to the pic:

tfe.jpg
[/IMG]

The correct answer is B. If B is the answer, how can we see a notch from the top view; according to B, the top box that goes all the way through would cover the view of the notch from the top view. Looking forward to a detailed explanation from you, Sama951. Thanks a bunch.

Im scoring 19s on PAT, and I need desperate help with keyholes! They seem to be the hardest for me to do. My DAT is in 3 weeks, Help!!

That Is The Only Section That I Dont Have A Way Of Taking The Problems, Can Anyone Help, The Shading Onces Are The Problem, I Dont Know Where To Start For Those, Please Help Dat In A Week.

Here is the link to the pic:

tfe.jpg
[/IMG]

The correct answer is B. If B is the answer, how can we see a notch from the top view; according to B, the top box that goes all the way through would cover the view of the notch from the top view. Looking forward to a detailed explanation from you, Sama951. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry guys I've been insanely busy with DAT/work/summer class, I'll try to do something for these soon but I can't guarantee when. If someone else can do this that would be crazy awesome.

Im scoring 19s on PAT, and I need desperate help with keyholes! They seem to be the hardest for me to do. My DAT is in 3 weeks, Help!!

Keyholes are really hard at first, same with pattern folding, but those become like two of the easiest sections after you just practise. You need to practise and also try and understand why each answer is correct and why the other ones are wrong. Buy Crack DAT PAT.

If you post an example we can probably explain it to you but there isnt really a good way of explaining this section. Just remember that you can twist and turn the object however you want to get it to go through the keyholes.

That Is The Only Section That I Dont Have A Way Of Taking The Problems, Can Anyone Help, The Shading Onces Are The Problem, I Dont Know Where To Start For Those, Please Help Dat In A Week.

There's a tutorial with 3 examples on the first page of this thread, don't know if you saw it. Good luck with your DAT by the way.

the stupid key says its D but I think its E and now you're saying its B...I thought this supposed to be an easy Q

Well it cant be D or E because in D & E the diagonal (that little point where they meet) is not pronounced enough.
B is too narrow i think, A the diagonal is shifted too far to the right. That leaves C as the answer.

I would have gone with E.
B would be correct if it had more width. The with on the front side of the object is more than the back side.

Some posts that are as informative as this one deserve a bump every so often. Even though I already spent a lot of time on TFE when I first read this post, it was helpful and still worth the time!

Thanks for all who contributed here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRNA
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/keys.jpg

need help with this

can anyone explain this problem???
thanks
Wow this one is a very good question.
I could argue between D and E but the answer should be D. Seriously, if this came up on the real DAT, I would just skip or choose E and move on because this question also deals with angles

D is possible when you look at it straight from the front.
Because the back side extends more so than the front, the image of D would be created.

E would be the next best answer, but if you look at the cleavage angle, the angle on E is a bit bigger than the diagram.

If something like this came up on the DAT, it would take me at least a minute and half to decide what is correct...mark then come back at end to guess between D and E if not enough time LOL

Quote:

need help with this

thanks
I could argue between D and E but the answer should be D. Seriously, if this came up on the real DAT, I would just skip or choose E and move on because this question also deals with angles

Because the back side extends more so than the front, the image of D would be created.

E would be the next best answer, but if you look at the cleavage angle, the angle on E is a bit bigger than the diagram.

If something like this came up on the DAT, it would take me at least a minute and half to decide what is correct...mark then come back at end to guess between D and E if not enough time LOL

I think it's E, because the way i view this object is a broken cube and its base and height are intact. Its base is = to its height. So E looks the most correct to me.

What is the real answer btw?

I love how this thread gets back to the top once in a while. I have gone though all of Sama's explanations, and they are great. A great source for kicking the panic out.

just trying to get this back to the top so that people can have a chance to take a look at it, its really very helpful

Quote:

need help with this

thanks

Awww my thread's famous.

Sorry I disappeared, summer class / work / Dat studying is killing me. Glad I helped some people though.

As far as this question goes.... The answer cant be D because the top and bottom have to be different lengths (just compare the top and bottom lengths of the original figure)

E doesnt look perfect but I'd pick it.. I guess. B's too skinny.

GREAT THREAD! have any tip/advise for Hole Punching questions??? for some reason THOSE kick my youknowhat!

For the hole punching questions, I make a grid (like tic-tac-toe) and work backwards (from the hole-punching to the beginning). It works fine with me.