Myron Rolle to Med School

Started by Lafakads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah probably. But I think with his background and successes, he's suited for a Top 20 school.

Sounds about right. He also said he's specifically looking at schools with "good" nsx programs.

NFL + Rhodes Scholar + 3.75GPA + finished UG in 2.5yrs = Scholarship at T25 school (unless his MCAT was below average).
 
Seems like he'd be Harvard material even with an average MCAT

I would think so.

I'm sure being Myron Rolle doesn't hurt either (As I'm sure it didn't in being a Rhodes Scholar).

I'm a FSU alum so I'm not trying to knock him, but public people like that seem to have an advantage. (IE Natalie Portman and Harvard)
 
Sounds about right. He also said he's specifically looking at schools with "good" nsx programs.

NFL + Rhodes Scholar + 3.75GPA + finished UG in 2.5yrs = Scholarship at T25 school (unless his MCAT was below average).

I'm not trying to instigate or anything, but he's also URM. He's going to have top-notch prep for MCAT. He will not be outside the T10 if he actually pursues this, and he shouldn't. Met him a while back, he's a pretty awesome guy in person, obviously on paper he's got it.
 
Cool dude.

The article seems to imply that he doesn't have any acceptances yet -- which I find unfathomable.

He seems to be reserved and slightly ambiguous about his current situation ("I should hear back in 10 days or so..."), but I'm going to guess that he already has some in his back pocket.

Either way, it won't be a secret where he goes. I'm sure there will be at least a couple articles and the school themselves will prob do one of those "student profiles" for him on their website.
 
Dude is straight stud. Loved watching him at FSU. I actually remember the game he came back from his Rhodes interview. Also, i had no idea he was the #1 player coming out of his high school class....

I was a little apprehensive before reading the article since it was written by Yahoo... But a good read. I am also real surprised he hasn't had any acceptances, or so it seems...
 
Not sure how you know you want to be a neurosurgeon before you experience anything close to it, but still a great story. Good for him following his heart and not his wallet. id suspect a top school as well; unless he just prefers the location else where.
 
Said he wants to open a clinic in the Bahamas... maybe he should just go to a Carrib. school 😀

Good for him following his heart and not his wallet. id suspect a top school as well; unless he just prefers the location else where.

Sounds like he wanted to make a go of the NFL but just washed out very quickly... hard to believe given how good he was in college.
 
Last edited:
Not sure how you know you want to be a neurosurgeon before you experience anything close to it, but still a great story. Good for him following his heart and not his wallet. id suspect a top school as well; unless he just prefers the location else where.

I thought the same thing as well when I read it! But still wish the best for him. I'm sure he'll be awesome at whatever he does!


Said he wants to open a clinic in the Bahamas... maybe he should just go to a Carrib. school 😀

:meanie: hahaha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would choose Medical School over the NFL any day. Less of a chance of injuries and brain damage, along with actually contributing to society! How many NFL players walking around can say they save people's lives or even make a positive impact on someone's life every day?

I salute you Myron Rolle!
 
I would choose Medical School over the NFL any day. Less of a chance of injuries and brain damage, along with actually contributing to society! How many NFL players walking around can say they save people's lives or even make a positive impact on someone's life every day?

I salute you Myron Rolle!

The ones who donate ridiculous sums of money to charity or set up their own charities? The ones who donate their time help out the kids who idolize them? Truth is you make a positive impact on people's lives in any profession. It's about the person, not the job title.
 
Don't get me wrong, I know tons of NFL players who donate to charity and help others. Peyton Manning's Children's Hospital is an excellent example. But it seems to me for every do gooder in the NFL, there is another wanna be gangster with felony charges.

Doctors as a whole are devoted to helping and improving others and society in general. Professional athletes are not.
 
came in expecting some sort of pre-med misc thread

did not find said thread, but yet it is still applicable to say "myron"







































myron myrons admissions gains


leaving confused
 
Isnt it kind of late in the year to still be waiting on acceptances? When I applied over a decade ago all the admissions stuff was over and done with by mid-April.

I'll be shocked if this dude goes to FSU, he is way out of their league. I call either Harvard or Hopkins. Hopkins has Ben Carson so I think it's probably high on his radar.
 
Isnt it kind of late in the year to still be waiting on acceptances? When I applied over a decade ago all the admissions stuff was over and done with by mid-April.

I'll be shocked if this dude goes to FSU, he is way out of their league. I call either Harvard or Hopkins. Hopkins has Ben Carson so I think it's probably high on his radar.

I would say either is likely. He is a wonderful candidate with a unique story. Good point on Hopkins, though.
 
Said he wants to open a clinic in the Bahamas... maybe he should just go to a Carrib. school 😀



Sounds like he wanted to make a go of the NFL but just washed out very quickly... hard to believe given how good he was in college.

The NFL obviously didn't go as he expected, but he mentioned he still had interest from other teams. Decided to just give it up and move on to medicine. Courageous thing to do, let's just hope his mcat is decent, though I suspect regardless of mcat hell be somewhere great.
 
The NFL obviously didn't go as he expected, but he mentioned he still had interest from other teams. Decided to just give it up and move on to medicine. Courageous thing to do, let's just hope his mcat is decent, though I suspect regardless of mcat hell be somewhere great.

I'm fairly certain his MCAT will be just fine. Dude is very smart, and an outstanding student. I don't see why that would be a concern at all.
 
I'm fairly certain his MCAT will be just fine. Dude is very smart, and an outstanding student. I don't see why that would be a concern at all.

I'm aware of that. I just personally know a ton of very, VERY smart people who struggle to break 30 on the mcat. Though not quite Rhodes scholars, but still. a good mcat score is never a given IMO.
 
Isnt it kind of late in the year to still be waiting on acceptances? When I applied over a decade ago all the admissions stuff was over and done with by mid-April.

I'll be shocked if this dude goes to FSU, he is way out of their league. I call either Harvard or Hopkins. Hopkins has Ben Carson so I think it's probably high on his radar.

Carson is retiring this year
 
I'm aware of that. I just personally know a ton of very, VERY smart people who struggle to break 30 on the mcat. Though not quite Rhodes scholars, but still. a good mcat score is never a given IMO.

I remember from hearing on ESPN that his major was something weird like kinesiology or exercise science. I never really got what was so impressive about an average GPA in what most would consider a fluff major.
 
I remember from hearing on ESPN that his major was something weird like kinesiology or exercise science. I never really got what was so impressive about an average GPA in what most would consider a fluff major.

A 3.5+ GPA in any major takes work and dedication. Also, he was a Rhodes Scholar, so that is the more impressive part of his resume.
 
I remember from hearing on ESPN that his major was something weird like kinesiology or exercise science. I never really got what was so impressive about an average GPA in what most would consider a fluff major.

I wouldn't say 3.75+ is an "average GPA." Besides, even if we go with the assertion that it is an "average GPA," having that GPA in an exercise science major in and of itself is not that impressive. When you add on to that being an elite athlete at a school where football is a way of life, then it's something quite impressive.
 
I remember from hearing on ESPN that his major was something weird like kinesiology or exercise science. I never really got what was so impressive about an average GPA in what most would consider a fluff major.

Fluff major maybe, but the guy was also a high-major Division I athlete and graduated in 2.5 years. That's some serious dedication no matter what he was studying. I think being motivated enough to study for a 30+ MCAT was not one of his major worries.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.
 
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.

For all you know, he could have gotten a 35 😛

And a "average" GPA is like a 3.0-3.1. Most college kids don't even come close to a 3.5 in their 4-6 years. The fact that he finished in less than 3 years, has strong grades, took multiple science classes, had INTENSE training for a sport to balance out academics says something.
 
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.

Clearly you don't get it. It's not just that he's a physical freak. He got great grades while playing football at an extremely high level and graduated early. FSU football is much, much more than 40h a week, plus being out of town several times a semester for away games. All the while, classes don't stop. He chose to do the Rhodes scholarship over going to the NFL - shows you he is about academics. On top of that, he put his money where his mouth is - he did a lot of good for a lot of people. His charity might not impress you, and maybe it shouldn't, but adcoms love medical missions trips/volunteering at free clinics/whatever. Adcoms care about what you do with your spare time. You might not think they should, but they do. Period. What he did with his little spare time was altruistic. Again, you might not care, but when you stack it up against what most pre-meds have done, it will trump anyone's spring break trip to Africa or three semesters of working in the public health center.

I had friends that were exercise science majors at FSU. It wasn't a joke, it wasn't the hardest major, but it wasn't a joke from what I understand. I know people with that major who matriculated into med school with a lower GPA than his and have now matched into strong residency programs. A few of my friends had classes with him - said he was a really nice guy, a diligent worker and very bright.

By all objective measures, he is what adcoms want, even if you take away the NFL, and probably if you take away football altogether. He is no doubt a hard worker, dedicated and altruistic. You don't have to be a genius to graduate med school, you have to be smart enough and an extremely hard worker.

I doubt I changed your mind, but I feel a little better now.
 
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.

I hear what you are saying, but let's not forget or underestimate the time committment required to be an elite athlete. The fact that he was able to train as much as he did (probably like a full time job), earn good grades, and achieve some outstanding other stuff (Rhodes, etc) speaks volumes to his dedication.

Plus, you're being completely idiotic by betting he didn't break a 20 - you have no basis for making that claim.

And why all the hate? Good for him for trying to do something most people in the world will never achieve.
 
Not sure how you know you want to be a neurosurgeon before you experience anything close to it, but still a great story. Good for him following his heart and not his wallet. id suspect a top school as well; unless he just prefers the location else where.

Have you any idea how many people on this website want to be neurosurgeons?
 
I hear what you are saying, but let's not forget or underestimate the time committment required to be an elite athlete. The fact that he was able to train as much as he did (probably like a full time job), earn good grades, and achieve some outstanding other stuff (Rhodes, etc) speaks volumes to his dedication.

Plus, you're being completely idiotic by betting he didn't break a 20 - you have no basis for making that claim.

And why all the hate? Good for him for trying to do something most people in the world will never achieve.


He's probably just pissed because the guy is smarter than him AND played football in the NFL.
 
I remember from hearing on ESPN that his major was something weird like kinesiology or exercise science. I never really got what was so impressive about an average GPA in what most would consider a fluff major.

I'm not an Exercise Science major, but I know that it's one of the toughest majors at my school. It has tons of intense biomechanics and physiology classes. It might be a fluff major at some schools, maybe even FSU, but it's not everywhere I don't think. It's kind of sad that the reputation of a particular major at a few particular institutions colours how that major is viewed from every school. Like I said, I'm not biased or hurt because I'm not an ExSci major, but it's a pretty impressive major here so I'm surprised to hear people say otherwise.

But about the original topic, I think that this guy is gonna get into a great school -- as he should, being as that he is a Rhodes Scholar!! If he was just accepted somewhere based on his athletic performance, that'd be frustrating, but he's definitely proven that he's a student athlete and not just an athlete by any stretch. Good on him! 👍👍
 
No one is asking you to idolize Myron (even if other people evidently choose to). From a medical school's perspective, I fail to see how his activities are any worse than someone who was president of a bunch of college organizations and volunteered for some large # of hours. The standard some of you are applying to him is a bit excessive, I think he's done as well as many of the students that already get accepted into top schools. His GPA is the only thing "lackluster" about his application that you know of.
 
Have you any idea how many people on this website want to be neurosurgeons?

I never said I was surprised he wanted to be a neurosurgeon, I said I don't know how he KNOWS he wants to be a neurosurgeon without ever having experiencing doing anything like it.

Also, not sure how the fact that a lot of pre-meds on here are convinced they want to do neurosurgery changes what I said at all. None of them KNOW that they want to do neurosurgery either, they just think so or have aspirations to do so for the moment. Pretty big difference between potentially wanting to be and knowing you want to be.
 
"I want to be a neurosurgeon"

"I know I want to be a neurosurgeon"

lol you guys are ridiculous if you think there is ANY difference between those two statements
 
I never said I was surprised he wanted to be a neurosurgeon, I said I don't know how he KNOWS he wants to be a neurosurgeon without ever having experiencing doing anything like it.

Also, not sure how the fact that a lot of pre-meds on here are convinced they want to do neurosurgery changes what I said at all. None of them KNOW that they want to do neurosurgery either, they just think so or have aspirations to do so for the moment. Pretty big difference between potentially wanting to be and knowing you want to be.

Ding ding ding! +1 VR
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never said I was surprised he wanted to be a neurosurgeon, I said I don't know how he KNOWS he wants to be a neurosurgeon without ever having experiencing doing anything like it.

Also, not sure how the fact that a lot of pre-meds on here are convinced they want to do neurosurgery changes what I said at all. None of them KNOW that they want to do neurosurgery either, they just think so or have aspirations to do so for the moment. Pretty big difference between potentially wanting to be and knowing you want to be.

How do you know he hasn't experienced anything like it?
 
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.

e496c_ORIG-Let_The_Butt_Hurt_Flow_Through_You.jpg
 
Great, so all of us were judged on our academic abilities when applying for medical school.

Myron was (inevitably) judged on his athletic ability. What makes him a great applicant? He played D-1 football, he "played" in the NFL, and he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship because he was the only college football player with half a brain.

He bought and was handed his way into charitable organizations. He was an exercise science major at FSU? Really? Sounds tough. Bet the dude didn't break a 20 on the MCAT. Wonder if he knows what it takes to match NS, although the same standards won't be made for him I bet...

But still, he did play football so let's idolize him. Let's put him on a pedestal because he could play football and spell his name. Sometimes America makes no sense.

This is by far the most condescending, disrespectful and insulting post I have read on SDN. Stop being jealous of someone's successes.
 
How do you know he hasn't experienced anything like it?

can't tell if serious. what exactly can you do like surgery as a pre-med in undergrad other than maybe shadow? and even if you shadow, watching is quite different than doing, especially with something like that. or at least id assume so since I'm also just another clueless pre-med haha