Myth? MD/PhD program harder to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chenggg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a semi-credible :rolleyes: source that checking the MD/PhD box in the AMCAS application means that you'll have a harder time getting into the medical school since they typically take students who are the most highly qualified.

I'm really interested in participating in an MD/PhD program; but if I can't get into one, I'll be more than happy to be in a regular MD program.

So will my chances of getting into med school drop if I check the MD/PhD program option?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend that applied MD/PhD and at a couple of schools they rejected him for the dual degree and just transferred his application to the straight MD pile. So even if you don't you don't get into MD/PhD its not like you are losing anything.

jillibean said:
I had a friend that applied MD/PhD and at a couple of schools they rejected him for the dual degree and just transferred his application to the straight MD pile. So even if you don't you don't get into MD/PhD its not like you are losing anything.

But your application to the MD program will be delayed (at least for some schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
jillibean said:

Notice jili said 'transferred his application to the straight MD pile". Not "transferred his application straight to the MD pile". I've heard there are often giant app chasms between the two admission beauracracies.

Also, jili did not say 'transferred his app to the gay MD pile'. If you are homosexual, and you apply MD/PhD, they generally don't send you on to MD after a mdphd rejection.

chenggg said:
I was told by a semi-credible :rolleyes: source that checking the MD/PhD box in the AMCAS application means that you'll have a harder time getting into the medical school since they typically take students who are the most highly qualified.

I'm really interested in participating in an MD/PhD program; but if I can't get into one, I'll be more than happy to be in a regular MD program.

So will my chances of getting into med school drop if I check the MD/PhD program option?

It shouldn't affect your chances of getting into med school if you apply MD/PhD. At most places, you must be accepted into med school before the MD/PhD program can even consider your app (though this can be somewhat of a formality, since MD/PhD interviews are more competitive and if the MD/PhD program wants you, you'll practically guaranteed to get into med school). There were some places where I was waitlisted/or rejected for the MD/PhD but accepted into med school, and some places I got a med school interview but not an MD/PhD interview.

chenggg said:

as an MSTP applicant, let me reiterate what some people have said... if you are an MSTP applicant, it will be harder to get into the MD program, but not impossible. Some schools (hopkins and i'm almost positive penn) will not consider you for MD if they reject you MSTP. Either way, some schools will not get to your MD app until WAY late (jan). Here is what happened for the schools i was rejected to MSTP w/o interview:

stanford: rejected MSTP in september, MD interview offered in january
cornell: rejected MSTP in november, MD interview offered in january
UCSF: rejected MSTP and invited for MD interview simultaneously in december
WashU: invited for MD interview in September, Attended MD interview in Nov. after hearing nothing from MSTP, rejected MSTP in january w/o interview

Some schools, like WashU, are COMPETELY unorganized. They wouldnt even let me delay my MD interview since MSTP hadn't decided whether to invite me for interview yet, so I had to attend my MD interview, and if i had been invited for an MSTP interview, i would have had to go back later.

Take home point: you would be asking for an interview invite in january, which is VERY late. Don't bank on it.

I think this is a two-part answer. If you apply MD/PhD and are not granted an MD/PhD interview, your application is severely delayed in reaching the MD committee. But if you are successful in securing MD/PhD interviews, you will not really have a problem because if the MD/PhD committee rejects you post-interview, the MD committee will immediately get your post-interview file and will likely give you a decision quickly. At a couple of schools, I was placed on hold for MD/PhD post-interview, but received an MD acceptance quickly after the interview (at rolling schools). So, while there is a risk, I feel it is a worthwile risk if you really want to try for the joint program.

For my applications, this is what happened in terms of MD acceptances:

-Mt. Sinai: interviewed January, waitlisted February, automatically offered MD to MD/PhD track (so MD acceptance)
-Temple: complete in September, MD/PhD application lost (don't ask), MD interview offered in December
-Jefferson: MD/PhD interview in mid-November, MD acceptance 3 weeks later while MD/PhD status was on hold
-Maryland: MD/PhD interview in December, MD acceptance in January while MD/PhD status on hold

So, my first acceptance was an MD acceptance (Jefferson in early December) before I got into any MD/PhD programs (late December through March).

If you are not able to secure several MD/PhD interviews, however, your MD application will suffer much more.

Also, depending on what your application strengths are, you may actually fare better with MD/PhD admissions. Goven my research-heavy/clinical-light ECs, I probably recived more interviews and acceptances for MD/PhD programs than I would have with just MD programs.

p.s. There's an MSTP forum where you can get more advice on applying.