MD N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daokid

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As the title says, I received my exam score and failed and as it's 95% of my class grade I know I failed the class as well. I thought the exam was the same length as normal but it ended up being 30 minutes shorter and I guessed on a good half of the questions in the last 10 minutes. I'm just in a state of panic right now and am feeling really sad and hopeless. I will be studying hard for the remediation exam but I know my transcript is still going to say that I failed... and I am too embarrassed to talk about this with my friends/support system. Will this ruin my chances for matching? - especially as Step 1 is P/F for me.

side note: I will be contacting my school's advisors and academic counselors to figure things out with them.
one failure isnt going to sink you.

make sure to pass on the second try

Reactions: 4 users
Learn from your mistakes and move on! Was it a surprise that your test was shorter than you expected, or had you been warned?

I definitely would have freaked out if that happened to me, but we always made sure to know the # of Qs and how much time we had before each test we took. It could be a matter of learning better due diligence!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the title says, I received my exam score and failed and as it's 95% of my class grade I know I failed the class as well. I thought the exam was the same length as normal but it ended up being 30 minutes shorter and I guessed on a good half of the questions in the last 10 minutes. I'm just in a state of panic right now and am feeling really sad and hopeless. I will be studying hard for the remediation exam but I know my transcript is still going to say that I failed... and I am too embarrassed to talk about this with my friends/support system. Will this ruin my chances for matching? - especially as Step 1 is P/F for me.

side note: I will be contacting my school's advisors and academic counselors to figure things out with them.
A trend is always more important than an isolated failure; medical students are not infallible, despite feeling the need to be perfect.

Learn from your mistake and don't give up.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear.

Please talk about this with friends you trust and your support system, and try to learn and grow from the failure as best as you can. One grade won't sink you.

Last edited:
  • Love
It won’t ruin your chances. Promise.

Depending on what the class was (gross anatomy 10 credits is a bigger deal of a fail than 1 credit medical jurisprudence for example), you may end up needing to adjust your match goals to be a little less competitive, but there are plenty of doctors out there who failed a class at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely won’t ruin your chances if you’re a US MD/DO. If you’re in the Caribbean then your chances of matching were ruined long before the exam failure.

Sounds like you’re taking the right steps at this point. I know plenty of successful academic attendings who failed a preclinical class. Just make sure this is the lone blip on an otherwise clean record and you can do anything you want at this point.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Like others have said, one failure is not much of a problem. Medicine is a marathon. The more important thing is to figure out why you've failed, learn from that, and move forward. It's okay to discuss with your friends to see how they've succeeded. Remember, you have so many even more important tests going forward (i.e inservice exams, usmle).

Failures early in your medical school years can be a sign of a mis-matched career ambition. It's not the end of the world, but it's important to evaluate if you REALLY want this career or not. It's still early enough into it that you can save yourself from going into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for a job you might not ultimately enjoy. And if you don't truly enjoy it, you won't do well long term.
I speak from personal experience.

Is it a setback? Yes.
But will it make a big difference? Depends.

You had the knowledge to pass the course, it was just a time mismanagement. Unless you were planning on applying to highly competitive specialties/prestigious residency spots, then in the long run this isn't a big issue. Do they not have a timer to look at during the test? When I'm taking exams I'm always looking at the timer to make sure I don't get behind. Could be a useful tip to prevent this from happening in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.