NA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biotechguru

Reaction score
xxxxxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Some schools were likely not worth an application because they take few OOS students (UConn, Oregon). Rush likely expected many more non-clinical volunteering hours than you have. However, you still had many schools that should have been interested, including the 3 in MA. Have somebody review your IA essay as well as all other written material. You may want to change your LORs in case of a bad letter.

Anything new that will appear on this app that wasn't on last year's (besides starting the West Africa trip)?

Some schools were likely not worth an application because they take few OOS students (UConn, Oregon). Rush likely expected many more non-clinical volunteering hours than you have. However, you still had many schools that should have been interested, including the 3 in MA. Have somebody review your IA essay as well as all other written material. You may want to change your LORs in case of a bad letter.

Anything new that will appear on this app that wasn't on last year's (besides starting the West Africa trip)?
xxx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the needle clinic should be characterized as non-clinical. While my involvement was during the "free clinic hours" and interacted with patients, the experience, as a whole was more geared towards providing harm reduction supplies and counselling, we just had nurses and a doctor come in 1x per week to provide free medical care. What are your thoughts on that?

Since the last application (2020-21 cycle), the medical assistant hours are new, the needle clinic is new, and the west africa experience is new. I think last time, I didnt have the clinical hours and was naive in applying, but since then have found a really nice niche that my narrative will be based on (this idea of working at a biotech developing a really novel and clinically needed diagnostic, and then starting to volunteer at the needle clinic where many of the patients would benefit from such a diagnostic given the high rates of infection in drug user populations, and now going to west africa, where ill be directly involved with patient care in the micro lab). All of this is new in the last two years...
You can put needle clinic under non-clinical. It won't help for Rush, but would be good for all the schools I suggest.

Yes, if the MA hours were not there before, then you had pretty low clinical experience and that likely held you back.

I suggest:

Case Western
Boston University
Pittsburgh
USF Health Morsani
USC (Keck)
Renaissance at Stony Brook
Albert Einstien
Emory
Geisel (Dartmouth)
U of Cincinnati
Ohio State
UMass
Hackensack
Tufts
University of Colorado
UMiami
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UVM
MCW
VCU
EVMS
UVA
Hofstra
Rochester
Creighton
Saint Louis
Iowa
Mayo
Western Michigan
Wake

Your work in the shelter can go under non-clinical, especially the needle exchange. It was only 100 hours.

I am wondering why not go for a research position in micro/virology or global health first after reading your description. It's very ID heavy, so I'm not sure if that turned off the screeners or didn't fit in a rubric. Your time with the NGO will be helpful. Your IA should not be a problem unless there is more to what you describe.

Your low clinical hours were a major factor in your poor application cycle. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Mount Sinai
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont

Your work in the shelter can go under non-clinical, especially the needle exchange. It was only 100 hours.

I am wondering why not go for a research position in micro/virology or global health first after reading your description. It's very ID heavy, so I'm not sure if that turned off the screeners or didn't fit in a rubric. Your time with the NGO will be helpful. Your IA should not be a problem unless there is more to what you describe.
You can put needle clinic under non-clinical. It won't help for Rush, but would be good for all the schools I suggest.

Yes, if the MA hours were not there before, then you had pretty low clinical experience and that likely held you back.

I suggest:

Case Western
Boston University
Pittsburgh
USF Health Morsani
USC (Keck)
Renaissance at Stony Brook
Albert Einstien
Emory
Geisel (Dartmouth)
U of Cincinnati
Ohio State
UMass
Hackensack
Tufts
University of Colorado
UMiami
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UVM
MCW
VCU
EVMS
UVA
Hofstra
Rochester
Creighton
Saint Louis
Iowa
Mayo
Western Michigan
Wake

Thanks for the list. Curious, are you taking schools like Michigan, Brown, Georgetown, GW, Rosalind Franklin off the list because of how low yield they are, considering the number of applicants. Just curious cuz I have the stats for them and I actually think GW and RF might be good mission fits given the emphasis on public health

Thanks for the list. Curious, are you taking schools like Michigan, Brown, Georgetown, GW, Rosalind Franklin off the list because of how low yield they are, considering the number of applicants. Just curious cuz I have the stats for them and I actually think GW and RF might be good mission fits given the emphasis on public health
I don't think they are worth a reapp. Michigan is a very competitive school and most of the others get 10k+ apps and passed on you the first time. You can try GW. RF is not focused on public health.

Hi SDN,

I've been a lurker and infrequent poster on this page for a while and just wanted to hear some opinions on my institutional actions, and whether they are going to be real app killers. I've already submitted, so nothing worth stressing over at this point but mostly food for thought and maybe helpful for a future applicant.

I have three institutional actions. One for alcohol my first week at school, one for marijuana freshman year (2016), and one for hosting a party with my housemates junior year. While these seem minor, I wonder how many schools will take one look at my app and just throw it out. I have changed drastically as a person, and my application reflects that, both in action and in writing. I am certainly not the same person I used to be and these happened 5+ years ago.

My app is actually quite strong otherwise, 3.71, 517, lots of clinical hours, research, and volunteer, and a strong narrative/writing (see my previous WAMC posts for school list etc). This post was just to hear some thoughts on the institutional actions, and if they are insurmountable or not.

Thanks for the help!
I have moved your question back to your WAMC post as this specific forum is meant for school lists as opposed to general questions like this.

This is something that has been asked often in the past by users who got in trouble while living in college dorms. One should not be getting multiple IA's but as has already been mentioned to you, that was several years ago. Many schools will still look at your app and will probably gloss over the IA as long you owned up to making mistakes while young. Likely only Loma Linda would immediately disqualify you due to their strict religious beliefs.

In contrast, multiple academic IAs would be be much worse and would likely make an app dead on arrival everywhere.

Hello, circling back around to this thread!

So far this cycle, have applied to these schools, but am starting to get nervous and thinking about adding 5-6 more. What do you all suggest?
@Mr.Smile12 @chilly_md @Faha

Einsetin
Boston U
Case Western
Drexel
Emory
Geisel (Dartmouth)
GW
Gerogetown
Hackensack
HMS
USC
Katz (temple)
Loyola Chicago
MCW
Mayo
Northwestern
Penn State
Stony Brook
UVM
Rush
SLU
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
USF Morsani
Umass
Miami
Pittsburgh
Rochester
UVA
VCU
Wake
Wayne State
Western Michigan

Hi SDN,

I've been a lurker and infrequent poster on this page for a while and just wanted to hear some opinions on my institutional actions, and whether they are going to be real app killers. I've already submitted, so nothing worth stressing over at this point but mostly food for thought and maybe helpful for a future applicant.

I have three institutional actions. One for alcohol my first week at school, one for marijuana freshman year (2016), and one for hosting a party with my housemates junior year. While these seem minor, I wonder how many schools will take one look at my app and just throw it out. I have changed drastically as a person, and my application reflects that, both in action and in writing. I am certainly not the same person I used to be and these happened 5+ years ago.

My app is actually quite strong otherwise, 3.71, 517, lots of clinical hours, research, and volunteer, and a strong narrative/writing (see my previous WAMC posts for school list etc). This post was just to hear some thoughts on the institutional actions, and if they are insurmountable or not.

Thanks for the help!
The fact that you've been out of school for three years and that it's been several years since the last IA counts in your favor. The multiple IAs and getting busted junior year doesn't look good. However, if the rest of your app is otherwise good, it shouldn't totally tank your chances.