Nail Polish in dental school?

Started by rs123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rs123

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may seem like an odd question but I am curious if you are allowed to wear nail polish in dental school. I know you must keep your nails short and trimmed, but can you still polish them? Thanks!
 
Registered dental hygienist here.. At DH school, we aren't allowed nail polish, any jewellery including earring, hair has to be put in a bun or short pony tail (above shoulder).
But in real world, dentists I have worked for have had nail polish. Student clinic might be tricky.
 
We were told it wasn't allowed but people wear it all the time, acrylic nails too. I was told to cut my nails during my DS1 year. I thought they were short enough but the perio instructor disagreed. It's also in the student handbook that there are to be "NO" visible tattoos, or unnatural hair color. However, I see tattoos all the time. Even a couple 1/2 sleeves. I recently put pink on the tips of my hair, but since it's covered in clinic I haven't had any issues. I did get an unofficial write up for my earrings being too long. They either have to be studs or very small hoops in clinic.

Each school's student handbook is different, and each instructor has a different opinion of what they'll tolerate.