Name dropping in letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope4baylor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my recommenders wrote me a school specific letter (for a non-PTCAS school, so I've seen the letter) and dropped some names of personal friends/colleagues that teach at the school. Something along the lines of "my relationship with blablabla has given me experience with XYZ school's curriculum and I think soandso would be a great fit."

Is this tacky or a negative? I didn't ask the PT to do it and I'm not sure if it's the best idea or if it might be helpful, I also don't want to ask for the letter to be revised if I don't have to.

Any admissions people around here who have some input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my recommenders wrote me a school specific letter (for a non-PTCAS school, so I've seen the letter) and dropped some names of personal friends/colleagues that teach at the school. Something along the lines of "my relationship with blablabla has given me experience with XYZ school's curriculum and I think soandso would be a great fit."

Is this tacky or a negative? I didn't ask the PT to do it and I'm not sure if it's the best idea or if it might be helpful, I also don't want to ask for the letter to be revised if I don't have to.

It sounds like it would be ok to me...It is hard to say though because it does sound like it could be considered borderline conflict of interest. I think I would ask her about it and definitely ask others...maybe try and email some other schools that you aren't applying to and just ask? Search for a reputable state and school (maybe like Northwestern University in Chicago) and just see what they think...unless your applying there...haha

Ask IndianaDPT a few threads down.

we would not have any issue with this. We have a few undergrad students from our institution apply every year, and the LOR from their undergrad professor often says, 'this person would be a good researcher fit with blah.' or a clinician (alumni) would say, 'I already told them to prepare for blah's course.' The PT profession is small and knowing each other is inevitable.