Name some interesting internships you've done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's October already, so it's not too early to start thinking about summer internships.

So I'm wondering, have any of you guys done something out of the ordinary for a pharmacy internship? Something that isn't the usual retail or hospital job?

I'm looking for something that P1s can apply for, but if you've done something else for older years, you can post that too, both for other people to see, and for me to consider in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

It's October already, so it's not too early to start thinking about summer internships.

So I'm wondering, have any of you guys done something out of the ordinary for a pharmacy internship? Something that isn't the usual retail or hospital job?

I'm looking for something that P1s can apply for, but if you've done something else for older years, you can post that too, both for other people to see, and for me to consider in the future.

I doubt this program is still available, but I spent my 1PD and 2PD summers in Las Vegas with Albertson's. They paid for 10 pharmacy students from around the country to live basically on the strip, on top of a very competitive hourly salary for a pharmacy intern. My second year, the mix was comprised of 2 students from the University of Florida, 2 students from North Dakota State, 1 student from Purdue, 1 student from Rhode Island U., 1 student from Washington State, 1 student from Iowa, 1 student from Drake, 1 student from the University of Texas, and 1 from Auburn University. We all lived in one hotel for 13 weeks (in suites with bedrooms). These were the best summers of my life, though they also taught me I would never actually work as a retail pharmacist. It also taught me that I have a small gambling problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked up micromedex and looks interesting. They better provide relocation expenses from Philly/Delaware though.

International Research.. school sent me to a sister RX school overseas all expenses paid.. how about that..

I looked up micromedex and looks interesting. They better provide relocation expenses from Philly/Delaware though.
I would seriously doubt that. They pay pretty well, but living expenses are up to you. I thought it was a very worth while experience.

I'd love to do this one I found in Alaska but paying rent on 2 apartments would not be fun

Is the internship near a University of Alaska campus? (and if it's near one of the two actual cities with a population of >500, it must be) If so, before you give up, call the UAF housing director. I got to stay in graduate housing in Fairbanks with the fam for an IHS rotation at Chief Andrew's. Our townhouse (3br, washer, dryer, cable, internet hook-up, all utilities) rental was less than the car rental for my stay there. UAF didn't care that I wasn't a UAF student, and Alaska is like nothing else in the US, in a good way (unless it's in the winter, in which case-are you crazy?!). Paying rent on two places for a few months was a drop in my student loan bucket.

International Research.. school sent me to a sister RX school overseas all expenses paid.. how about that..

Whoa. My school doesn't do that, I think. We have a few sister schools, but I don't think students get sent there. How would I find out about something like that? And do you have to basically have a clear idea about exactly what you want to research?

Is the internship near a University of Alaska campus? (and if it's near one of the two actual cities with a population of >500, it must be) If so, before you give up, call the UAF housing director. I got to stay in graduate housing in Fairbanks with the fam for an IHS rotation at Chief Andrew's. Our townhouse (3br, washer, dryer, cable, internet hook-up, all utilities) rental was less than the car rental for my stay there. UAF didn't care that I wasn't a UAF student, and Alaska is like nothing else in the US, in a good way (unless it's in the winter, in which case-are you crazy?!). Paying rent on two places for a few months was a drop in my student loan bucket.
It's in Anchorage so it's definitely something to think about

Looks like a shared apartment would be $450/month: http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/ccs/guesthousing/rates.cfm

The 3 br townhouse I was at was $1000 for 6 weeks. It's easier to find housing in the summer, the residents leave for the lower 48 then. It really is fun in the summer in AK.

eh ~1200/mo in rent really doesn't sound like fun.. maybe if i can get a 9 month lease next year :idea:

Yes, I see your point. I have a warped attitude about money after spending $120k for the PharmD, $1200 is too much for rent for a student. I have lost perspective.