Names of drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gablet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to learn some of the names of drugs, both to help in my job as a pharm tech and for pharmacy school. I only work once per week, so "on the job" learning is not efficient.

I know that there are some patterns in types of drugs, (like the cholesterol lowering drugs having a "statin" ending) so I wondered if anyone knew of any other patterns to remember groups of drugs?

Or maybe there is a website that I could take a look at?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, I will check it out

Members don't see this ad :)
:D I love the drug names. I love to watch the TV commercials for the drugs because the commercial names they come up with are simply brilliant.

Where'd you get the cool MST3K avatar?

I miss that show.

Lipitor = Lowering the lipids in cholesterol haha

I used to have a buddy in pharm school that worked one day a week like me. We would search for wierd medications during our work day to try and stump each other during classes. It was an awesome way to learn brand/generics and helped me tremendously on the board exams.

Caverject said:
how about Lithobid?

Lithium B.I.D....get it?
Once a doc prescribed it TID and my co-worker started ranting, "It's lithoBID. That's twice a day. Does it ****ing say LithoTID? $%#*&^%#$((#&^$*#)(#&$&@#($#&#@(#**#*." This was prior to calling the doc back for a change, not while.

dgroulx said:
Where'd you get the cool MST3K avatar?

I miss that show.

a lot of people miss the show which makes me wonder why they took it off the air. they have dvd sets available now ...I am planning on getting some eventually.

as far as the avatar i did an image search for mst3k

anyway, I like the drug name "nexium". IT sounds very futuristic.

Caverject said:
how about Lithobid?

Lithium B.I.D....get it?

Since those *****s that make the Lithium 300mg capsules were beaten with a shoe by the FDA last week, I've been in Lithium-induced hell. Do you know what it's like telling 40 different bipolars I can't give them their pretty pink pills of goodness because the manufacterer did something the FDA didn't like? It's not fun, I tells ya that. I think the phase of the moon has them all in one of the extremes all week. One started screming at me, one started crying. Gah.

WVUPharm2007 said:
Since those *****s that make the Lithium 300mg capsules were beaten with a shoe by the FDA last week, I've been in Lithium-induced hell. Do you know what it's like telling 40 different bipolars I can't give them their pretty pink pills of goodness because the manufacterer did something the FDA didn't like? It's not fun, I tells ya that. I think the phase of the moon has them all in one of the extremes all week. One started screming at me, one started crying. Gah.

If you really don't like dealing with them, this is your perfect chance to get rid of them. If your store carried the Able brand, then your competitor(s) may very well carry a different brand. For example, my WAG carried Able, but Osco down the street stocks a different Lithium300. Offer to proactively transfer their script to the competitor, so they can pick it up without delay. Maybe they'll transfer back next month, or maybe they'll stay at the new store. ...but, you've provided great customer service, and may have likely made things better for yourself.