NAPA Now in Trouble in Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The game is up. One of the original practices has a waiting list to leave.
Waiting list to leave is funny. Here’s your 90 day notice. Accept it or fire me today.
Bye!
Or renegotiate month to month for 30-50% more.
If they violate the contract by not accepting your resignation, can you be justified in leaving immediately?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
We just hired a person from Colorado. Still short and apparently some USAP docs broke off, took some ASCs, and are now getting legal at them by USAP. It’s not what you are making it out to be. And everyone on here knows USAP Austin/Central pays less than 300 to start, 3 years, and s stick purchase. That’s your neighbor

Also I really hope you aren’t talking about paying people by “production” meaning based on units produced then some percentage of that.

That’s the oldest, biggest scam unless you can equally distribute commercial orthopedic cases amongst everyone in the group-which is almost impossible.

This was a scam because older partners cherry picked the highest unit producing cases and/or commercial cases from new grads.

Anesthesia billing dictates you can not have an equal group paying people on production if that means units or revenue.

The truly fair/equal anesthesia groups pay based on time. Put all the revenue/units in a pot and distribute based on hours worked.

I really really hope you aren’t talking a revenue/unit production based system.
Nope- We pool our units and pay 100% on time - I didn’t mean production as in units generated - I meant production as in you work more you make more… rather than be the salaried and stuck in the OR for nothing about extra.
I don’t know about Colorado or Austin 🤷‍♀️ I thought Colorado was out of the woods - I think the Austin people think Austin alone is enough of a draw - I think they’re wrong but 🤷‍♀️ I really only have the best information about my little “pond” in dallas

Reactions: 1 users
We just hired a person from Colorado. Still short and apparently some USAP docs broke off, took some ASCs, and are now getting legal at them by USAP. It’s not what you are making it out to be. And everyone on here knows USAP Austin/Central pays less than 300 to start, 3 years, and s stick purchase. That’s your neighbor

Also I really hope you aren’t talking about paying people by “production” meaning based on units produced then some percentage of that.

That’s the oldest, biggest scam unless you can equally distribute commercial orthopedic cases amongst everyone in the group-which is almost impossible.

This was a scam because older partners cherry picked the highest unit producing cases and/or commercial cases from new grads.

Anesthesia billing dictates you can not have an equal group paying people on production if that means units or revenue.

The truly fair/equal anesthesia groups pay based on time. Put all the revenue/units in a pot and distribute based on hours worked.

Well……sort of. Even time based systems aren’t completely fair, but edge toward equal somewhat. One person’s 5 hr AAA isn’t equal to the person’s 3 appys that total 5 hrs, as far as intensity of cases done for the same money

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the phone with one of my buddies in that area. The issue is Napa’s strain relationship with many of the hospital systems when the took over mednax. From what I was told. The admin got tired of napa being at the table. It’s because they just absorbed the mednax contracts thinking it will just manage itself.

Agree. But the reason this is happening is that in general NAPA jobs are below average.

this is happening at the same places that were formerly very good Mednax jobs. When NAPA took over they became bad jobs. That's the difference. I'm not talking about bad NAPA locations.

Waiting list to leave is funny. Here’s your 90 day notice. Accept it or fire me today.
Bye!
Or renegotiate month to month for 30-50% more.
If they violate the contract by not accepting your resignation, can you be justified in leaving immediately?

Probably there are some penalties for not finishing the term of the contract.

Probably there are some penalties for not finishing the term of the contract.
Usually when the original partners sell out. They gotta stay x amount of years. Plus the non compete radius

New people often have sign on bonus. So gotta pay it back if they leave early.

I’m suspecting the truth is somewhere between these two statements. Or else a standard 60-90 day notice is good enough.

Acquire, strip, and flip. The last one in the circle jerk gets to declare bankruptcy after every last cent in value has been squeezed out by the private equity jag offs. Ah, the wonders of American capitalism…
At some point, the circle does come to an end. Just like crypto had its run and has come to a grinding halt, so will private equity in anesthesia practices. There simply isn't enough value left to be stripped and costs to be cut, while providing 15% annual returns to investors. Eventually the returns simply are not there and private equity will exit this market. Hopefully we are getting to that point here shortly with USAP and NAPA having their troubles.

We compensate by unit production but everbody (including brand new hires) picks their own lineups for the next day based on our call number. Unit production pay can be fair if it’s set up to be fair. It’s just a matter of will. It doesn’t have to be a scam. For us it doesn’t matter what insurance the patient has because we compensate based on a pooled unit value (which is exactly the same for brand new hires and 30 year veterans). For us, a lineup of ortho polytrauma border wall falls can be a very good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My take home on what has happened with Napa compared to Mednax. I gathered all this from friends that have worked for both as well as talking with hospital administrators that have dealt with both.

Mednax main idea was to buy out super profitable practices and let them just keep running themselves however they wanted as long as it remained profitable. Everybody wins. Hospitals are happy because they are interacting with the same people they always have and docs are happy because nobody telling them how to run their practice.

NAPA takes over. NAPA wants to wring out as much profit as they can. They handicap docs ability to make decisions on the ground. Hospital administrators don't even know who to talk to when problems arise and have literally never met anyone from NAPA even months after the switch. Docs not happy because they are getting screwed more and more, hospitals not happy because the model is falling apart and nobody at NAPA is even available to try to fix it.

Literally the only thing keeping any of the NAPA places afloat is the noncompetes. That's basically it.
Interesting. So what’s the future for NAPA given that they’ve been fired recently from a number of hospitals? And what’s going to replace it-direct hospital employment?

Interesting. So what’s the future for NAPA given that they’ve been fired recently from a number of hospitals? And what’s going to replace it-direct hospital employment?
Napa is basically a glorified staffing company with no physical assets. They won’t own physical buildings that operate asc or hospitals. Maybe they do own or lease a corporate building. But that’s about it in terms of assets.

You lose a contract. You move on. It’s no skin off their back especially if facility is money losing or close to money losing.

We are all heading towards eventual w2 hospital employment (for hospital based practices) outside a few niche players.

Already a brand new hospital in the south has told a major AMC who has run the same practice for 10 plus years (after they purchased the profitable practice which has had the contract since the Earli 1990s) that the hospital will employ the new anesthesiologists and crna directly. This is a hospital that will replace the old hospital.

Napa is basically a glorified staffing company with no physical assets. They won’t own physical buildings that operate asc or hospitals. Maybe they do own or lease a corporate building. But that’s about it in terms of assets.

You lose a contract. You move on. It’s no skin off their back especially if facility is money losing or close to money losing.

We are all heading towards eventual w2 hospital employment (for hospital based practices) outside a few niche players.

Already a brand new hospital in the south has told a major AMC who has run the same practice for 10 plus years (after they purchased the profitable practice which has had the contract since the Earli 1990s) that the hospital will employ the new anesthesiologists and crna directly. This is a hospital that will replace the old hospital.
Do you see W2 hospital employment better than an AMC? Also, If an AMC like NAPA cares about its investors I wouldn’t think they’d want to be fired from a bunch of hospitals even though they have no overhead.

Do you see W2 hospital employment better than an AMC? Also, If an AMC like NAPA cares about its investors I wouldn’t think they’d want to be fired from a bunch of hospitals even though they have no overhead.
Remember being employed by a hospital means just that. You do they case they want you to do. You cover the supervision ratio they want you to cover. They hire, they fire, and they pay you what the CFO says is ok to keep the books balanced. Not sure I can argue whether it's better or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing is perfect.
My family member is full partner no amc up north and all the people in their group work like dogs as well MD only.

Another one works as w2 hospital employee. Better benefits/healthcare /retirement matching ($15-17 k a year). A little more flexibility in terms of leave. 25% less money if you compare apples to apples. Meaning same work hours. But back fill the benefits healthcare is worth at least 15k and retirement is 15k. That’s at min 30k

So private guys make 620k (their group is base on time). Hospital w2 is 500k. The spread difference is around 70k. Hospital based w2 is act. Private group is MD only

The big difference is private they make themselves schedule K and can’t deduct more.

This sentiment cannot be overstated. The younger generation is coming out onto a landscape where they feel sold out by the older guys, coupled with a very uncertain future for reimbursement and employment model. Although they are just starting to earn a decent income, they find themselves farther behind the curve than those before them, with buying a house being more difficult than ever. You can’t fault them for valuing a higher income earlier in their career. This is one of the reasons the traditional partnership buy in is dying a slow death in my opinion.

our group used to be standard partnership track. start in low 300s, do that for 3 years, then partnership with profit sharing. then covid happened, and all of a sudden there wasnt any profit to share. After covid we couldnt hire anyone. tons of attrition in our group.

finally we said eff it, now we're salaried and we dont have to worry about how much will be left at the end of the year. starting salaries are in the low to mid 4s now straight out of the gate. within a few months of changing we've hired 6 docs are and are just about fully staffed for the first time in the 3 years ive been with my group.

Acquire, strip, and flip. The last one in the circle jerk gets to declare bankruptcy after every last cent in value has been squeezed out by the private equity jag offs. Ah, the wonders of American capitalism…

The amount of intellectual capacity dedicated to these ventures is astounding. Thousands of college entrants with Ivy League aspirations whose sole goal is to work at big law or big finance firm focusing their efforts making life miserable for the rest of us. This is what passes for an upstanding American these days.
This is just one of the many examples of how American capitalism is failing. It has become a corrupt farce that rewards inefficiency and failure while not actually contributing to any improvement in the system. I hope they all crash and burn but I know it will never happen.

our group used to be standard partnership track. start in low 300s, do that for 3 years, then partnership with profit sharing. then covid happened, and all of a sudden there wasnt any profit to share. After covid we couldnt hire anyone. tons of attrition in our group.

finally we said eff it, now we're salaried and we dont have to worry about how much will be left at the end of the year. starting salaries are in the low to mid 4s now straight out of the gate. within a few months of changing we've hired 6 docs are and are just about fully staffed for the first time in the 3 years ive been with my group.
How much lower is your income ceiling than it was before? In my neck of the woods that mid 300s partnership track salary only ended up in the mid 400s you’re starting at, maybe low 500s, so the break even point versus a salaried job was 5-10 years from the start date. In an environment where groups fold every few months that’s a risky bet with a limited payoff and a tough sell to people with loans to pay.

This is just one of the many examples of how American capitalism is failing. It has become a corrupt farce that rewards inefficiency and failure while not actually contributing to any improvement in the system. I hope they all crash and burn but I know it will never happen.

It’s so true. I grew up with kids like this. So convinced that finance was “doing gods work” but at the end of the day it was just a lie. They knew how to tow the line. Nauseating. One of them is a grad with a Stanford MBA who has an interest in healthcare now can’t wait to see what havoc he will wreak.

It’s so true. I grew up with kids like this. So convinced that finance was “doing gods work” but at the end of the day it was just a lie. They knew how to tow the line. Nauseating. One of them is a grad with a Stanford MBA who has an interest in healthcare now can’t wait to see what havoc he will wreak.
It's sad that a societally admirable path is one into finance, banking, consulting, and PE. I remember all too many of my high school and college classmates wanting to go into finance and the like... all the fancy recruiting presentations, spiffy websites, and the lure of money with an important job seem to be a big draw. Who wouldn't want a glamorous lifestyle with a nebulous yet important-seeming job?

Too bad they're mostly charlatans that add nothing to society and instead leech off the top. They're flying private to posh conferences in Zurich while we pay out of pocket to fly to NOLA on Southwest for the ASA conference (that we paid out of pocket for too).

We let them dupe us. Oh well.

My personal anecdote was at a wedding between two finance people, one of whom was a hedge fund manager. I sat at the “poor table” that had 8 people at it, 5 of whom were MDs. I listened to the small talk between all the hedge fund, PE and finance guys and I could believe how they openly discussed things that likely qualified as fraud. One was talking about how his fund unloaded a huge financial loss by moving it to a different division. Another was talking about how his series A funding was closed and how he basically took a huge cut and he didn’t care what happened after that. It was really eye opening; so much money and people flaunting their wealth but not really doing anything to benefit society.

It's sad that a societally admirable path is one into finance, banking, consulting, and PE. I remember all too many of my high school and college classmates wanting to go into finance and the like... all the fancy recruiting presentations, spiffy websites, and the lure of money with an important job seem to be a big draw. Who wouldn't want a glamorous lifestyle with a nebulous yet important-seeming job?

Too bad they're mostly charlatans that add nothing to society and instead leech off the top. They're flying private to posh conferences in Zurich while we pay out of pocket to fly to NOLA on Southwest for the ASA conference (that we paid out of pocket for too).

We let them dupe us. Oh well.

ASA should be tax deductible as a business trip

ASA should be tax deductible as a business trip
Yes - certainly.

But paying for these things and dealing with the deductions is much different than the company just paying for it outright and you having a company credit card. It truly is a business trip after all.

Yes - certainly.

But paying for these things and dealing with the deductions is much different than the company just paying for it outright and you having a company credit card. It truly is a business trip after all.
Some practices will reimburse for these types of things. You may can't fly first class and stay at the Four Season or if you don't you may only get like 1/4 of it reimbursed. Better than nothing, but yes, nothing compared to the all expense paid trips business folks get.

Nothing is perfect.
My family member is full partner no amc up north and all the people in their group work like dogs as well MD only.

Another one works as w2 hospital employee. Better benefits/healthcare /retirement matching ($15-17 k a year). A little more flexibility in terms of leave. 25% less money if you compare apples to apples. Meaning same work hours. But back fill the benefits healthcare is worth at least 15k and retirement is 15k. That’s at min 30k

So private guys make 620k (their group is base on time). Hospital w2 is 500k. The spread difference is around 70k. Hospital based w2 is act. Private group is MD only

The big difference is private they make themselves schedule K and can’t deduct more.
When you say hospital W2 is $500k, how many hours a week are you talking? These AMCs sound like they typically require 65 hours a week which is insane.
Also, AMCs don’t care about the hospital, the doctors or the patients-a hospital run practice or a physician run practice is better for everyone.

If they are employed, I would guess that the hospital owns the risk and eats both the windfalls and the shortfalls.
This was the best part of our group switching to salaried. I don't have to worry about busting to get my numbers. I get paid what I get paid. From my experience there are many more shortfalls that the hospital eats than windfalls I would be losing out on.

If they are employed, I would guess that the hospital owns the risk and eats both the windfalls and the shortfalls.
Bingo. That’s why hospitals loath to employ anesthesia as w2 employees. When you think about it. Weekend and after 5pm cases are highly inefficient. But surgeons and gi doctors want to do it around their office hours.

I’m ok working hospital employee as long as their incentive pay for weekends especially short staff. Don’t want to work the weekend for $5-7k per 24 hours. Fine. Someone else will take it. The weekday calls are fine cause u get post call day off.

The real issue being w2 is the amount of lates (working 7-9pm) on weekdays Is there day off next day? Or will it be compensated if you have to work the next day? And extra weekend calls if short staff.

This was the best part of our group switching to salaried. I don't have to worry about busting to get my numbers. I get paid what I get paid. From my experience there are many more shortfalls that the hospital eats than windfalls I would be losing out on.

Especially since the delta between hospital employed and private practice compensation has narrowed significantly. Aside from a few elite practices, many hospital employed positions are now paying at least equal to median private practice pay…and in some instances more. I wonder if those 95th percentile practices continue to pull 95th percentile numbers with the No Surprise Act?

Especially since the delta between hospital employed and private practice compensation has narrowed significantly. Aside from a few elite practices, many hospital employed positions are now paying at least equal to median private practice pay…and in some instances more. I wonder if those 95th percentile practices continue to pull 95th percentile numbers with the No Surprise Act?

I think you are right about the delta.
That being said, I believe PP>than anything else even if reimbursement is similar. At least you are not employeed by the hospital and therefore you have more leverage as an independent entity. If the hospital wants more coverage, it won’t get it for free in most cases of PP ownership.

I think you are right about the delta.
That being said, I believe PP>than anything else even if reimbursement is similar. At least you are not employeed by the hospital and therefore you have more leverage as an independent entity. If the hospital wants more coverage, it won’t get it for free in most cases of PP ownership.

But wasn’t that part of the problem? Do hospitals always pay for uncompensated or poorly reimbursed services? Isn’t it a faux pas to ask a hospital for a stipend for these services? Is asking a hospital for a stipend just a step towards full employment?

Every situation has to be evaluated differently, but I’m not sure that PP is always better than employment.

This sentiment cannot be overstated. The younger generation is coming out onto a landscape where they feel sold out by the older guys, coupled with a very uncertain future for reimbursement and employment model. Although they are just starting to earn a decent income, they find themselves farther behind the curve than those before them, with buying a house being more difficult than ever. You can’t fault them for valuing a higher income earlier in their career. This is one of the reasons the traditional partnership buy in is dying a slow death in my opinion.
It is partly the older guys but mostly the organizations like the AMA who havent been fighting for the profession. They allowed medicare and government to get a hold of medicine and now they are burying us with yearly reimbursement cuts significantly, more regulations, steeper hoops to jump through, mandates, EMR requirements where it just simply isn't feasible to be a small independent shop doing good by every patient you meet without drowning in these regulations. This is why every group sold out if they could.

They are not done yet? They will ratchet reimbursement down so low that many doctors will simply say, this is NOT worth it anymore and will find a way out. Why do you think every doctor (not me) wants an MBA now? There are people vigorously fighting for completely government control of healthcare. Once that happens... alas... we will be chartering planes to go to europe for elective surgery because the quality will be so bad. So to the young people in residency... Sorry to break it to you.... the future IS bleak. Change my mind!!

We compensate by unit production but everbody (including brand new hires) picks their own lineups for the next day based on our call number. Unit production pay can be fair if it’s set up to be fair. It’s just a matter of will. It doesn’t have to be a scam. For us it doesn’t matter what insurance the patient has because we compensate based on a pooled unit value (which is exactly the same for brand new hires and 30 year veterans). For us, a lineup of ortho polytrauma border wall falls can be a very good day.
So far in my short attending career, I've worked in academics. So, I've been wondering how people learn how many units each case is worth. Is there a table you have easy access too, or do you just a feel for it over time?

So far in my short attending career, I've worked in academics. So, I've been wondering how people learn how many units each case is worth. Is there a table you have easy access too, or do you just a feel for it over time?

Yes.

Asa Crosswalk
abeoCoder is a popular app.

Everybody learns real fast!
You even learn which surgeons get the best staff so you can minimize non-billable turnover time.

Yes.

Asa Crosswalk
abeoCoder is a popular app.

Everybody learns real fast!
You even learn which surgeons get the best staff so you can minimize non-billable turnover time.
That sounds exhausting

Having to compete with your "partners" sounds doubly exhausting

That sounds exhausting

Having to compete with your "partners" sounds doubly exhausting

It’s not. Just part of life. After a couple of months, you don’t need to look anything up and it’s very easy to tell a good lineup from a bad one. When it’s time to pick a lineup for the next day, we just pick the best lineup left. Some people don’t pick the best lineups because they’d rather work with their surgeon friend than make the most money. But the choice is ours.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not. Just part of life. After a couple of months, you don’t need to look anything up and it’s very easy to tell a good lineup from a bad one. When it’s time to pick a lineup for the next day, we just pick the best lineup left. Some people don’t pick the best lineups because they’d rather work with their surgeon friend than make the most money. But the choice is ours.
To each their own, I guess. Sounds more like a group of individuals who happen to work in the same building than a group of partners, but ... to each their own. :)

To each their own, I guess. Sounds more like a group of individuals who happen to work in the same building than a group of partners, but ... to each their own. :)

We used to have one guy make all the daily assignments. I thought he did an excellent job and was very fair. However, some people still complained. So we went to a system where we pick our own schedules. Now if we don’t like a lineup, we can only blame ourselves.

But your point is of historical interest. Until the 1980s a lot of hospitals in California and the rest of the west were staffed by individual anesthesiologists. They bought their own anesthesia machines and anesthesia carts and wheeled them from room to room. 2 of my coresidents did this in the mid 1990s. People just applied for hospital privileges, introduced themselves to surgeons, and hoped for the best. Often they would pick up scraps in the evenings until they became more established. Some places had no groups per se. They didn’t apply for “jobs.” It was more like a surgeon putting up a shingle and waiting for business to roll in.

Last edited:
i mean, i think a lot of places sell the "partnership" thing but reality they are a bunch of individuals who work in the same building. I'm sure some people will reply how at their gig they have weekly poker nights and go on ski trips together, but i honestly feel like those are outliers

I’m not sure what you’ve found to be more fair, and I know you are just getting a taste of post military life. The contrast to @nimbus practice is one in which all partners split everything equally. In that setup people will find their own unique ways to take advantage of the system. If everyone makes the same, regardless of quantity of work done, then the incentive is to work as little as you can get away with.

No system is perfect.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not sure what you’ve found to be more fair, and I know you are just getting a taste of post military life. The contrast to @nimbus practice is one in which all partners split everything equally. In that setup people will find their own unique ways to take advantage of the system. If everyone makes the same, regardless of quantity of work done, then the incentive is to work as little as you can get away with.

No system is perfect.

We don’t split everything evenly because our work hours, work intensity, and income varies a lot within the group. Some people prioritize more time off or easier days while others prioritize more money. We have some partners who give away all of their call and choose to work at the outpatient center most of the time while others take extra call and sign up for all the bigger cases. When our monthly schedule comes out, we can make all our night calls and late calls go away within a matter of minutes with a single blast email. Some work 30hrs a week while others work 70+ hours/week. The important thing is that it’s a choice and we have a lot of autonomy over our individual decisions. I agree no system is perfect but we try to make ours as fair as possible and let individuals decide how much they want to work, what type of cases they want to do, how much call they want to take, how much vacation they want to take, etc.

Last edited:

No system is perfect.
Pooled units with time-based compensation (work more, get more; work less, get less) is the most fair system imho even knowing it is also not perfect. as i said elsewhere, six hours of a AAA doesn't equal six hours of ureteroscopies, or six hours of OB, but it's probably as close to get as fair if everyone is doing all the same cases distributed is some almost random fashion. Any introduction of a human decision is when things skew to the unfair

I agree the pooled units and paid on time thing is the fairest. Which is harder - pump cv case or running 4 quick turnover rooms in gi? No one will agree. While the GI rooms pay the bills they ability to do the big cases solidifies our necessity to the hospital. We are partners and treat each other as such. No system is perfect but pooling units and time is fairest

That’s fair…but what about giving 20% of you revenue to private equity so they can inflate medical costs to the point the govt finally takes action and creates the no surprises act…which most groups can’t afford to arbitrate.

Fair is only relative to the person it affects. Talking to those in the middle of arbitration…private equity is the death of private medicine. Hospitals will employ all…will take years, but it’s game over. That’s what this law was truly intended to do. Not just anesthesia, not just USAP…but its private equity.

Good luck

That’s fair…but what about giving 20% of you revenue to private equity so they can inflate medical costs to the point the govt finally takes action and creates the no surprises act…which most groups can’t afford to arbitrate.

Fair is only relative to the person it affects. Talking to those in the middle of arbitration…private equity is the death of private medicine. Hospitals will employ all…will take years, but it’s game over. That’s what this law was truly intended to do. Not just anesthesia, not just USAP…but its private equity.

Good luck
the increased costs of healthcare typically comes from the large $ value due to the interplay between commercial insurance and hospital billing.

A 5th grade level explanation in that video. Its not just PE, but also insurance companies that are pushing physicians OON that led to balanced billing.

the increased costs of healthcare typically comes from the large $ value due to the interplay between commercial insurance and hospital billing.

A 5th grade level explanation in that video. Its not just PE, but also insurance companies that are pushing physicians OON that led to balanced billing.

Like every other industry in America, healthcare has consolidated. It is a consequence of the winner take all reward system of American free market capitalism (which we have exported globally). Behemoth regional hospital systems formed as a result of insurance monopolies. There was no way a single private hospital could negotiate fairly against a national or statewide insurance giant. So it became a game of giants, monopoly vs monopoly. Doctors were left holding their own junk. That’s where PE came in, to form their own monopolies of medical doctors. Now the game is monopoly vs monopoly vs monopoly. All to the detriment of sick people.

Ever wonder why you can’t buy a TV at a mom and pop electronics shop any more? Now you have to go to Target, bestbuy, Amazon, or Walmart. Or why you have a choice of 2-3 cell phone carriers? Or 2 or 3 cell phone brands? Our choices and negotiating power in healthcare are limited too.

Reactions: 8 users

Good luck

It’s definitely not just anesthesia. The surgeon I was working with just today was telling me his practice is having a hard time recruiting potential partners for a lucrative, surgical subspecialty practice. They just can’t compete with the hospitals for recruiting. We didn’t get into specifics about money, but he did concede that maybe the new grads are better off. The writing is on the wall that once hospitals own the surgeons, the private guys will be scrounging for the scraps of block time.

It was thought that surgery centers would save the day for private practice, but again, once the hospitals control the whole healthcare system from primary care all the way to subspecialists, those surgery centers are in danger of languishing…until the hospital system buys it on the cheap and fills it with their surgeons. For every busy surgery center that is successful, there are multiple that have a hard time filling ORs efficiently.