Nassau University Independent Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drranjit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the independent plastic surgery program at Nassau University Medical Center? Quality of training, competitiveness, need to do research years to match there etc.?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak to the training as I didn't apply there. Overall, one of the less popular programs due to location. I interviewed there for gen surg and remember the hospital being pretty beat up.

I certainly wouldn't have fought you for that spot.

Thank you for your honest opinion, I appreciate it. Is Long Island that bad of a location?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your honest opinion, I appreciate it. Is Long Island that bad of a location?

I guess if you're one of those people that is enamored with being around New York City it's only a train ride away. I'm not an east coast guy, personally.

I would say the popularity of most programs ends up being based on quality of training, prestige and location. Nassau is just sort of meh across the board. Always remember, though; if your goal is to be a plastic surgeon, the best program is the one that takes you.

Reactions: 1 user
Setting the location aside (unless you are from the area), what I had heard was that the training was really second to none. There is definitely a lot of autonomy and the exposure to aesthetic surgery in this program is likely the highest of any other plastics program out there (a rarity in major university programs out there). The pros are teaching you the business side of things and the program sets you up to opening and/or joining a private practice quite well. The cons are the location and well, if you want to be a big wig academic head you may be better off at a program like Harvard or Penn. The long island area is just as expensive as Manhattan and your salary won't be that much higher than anywhere else in the country but you have to put things in perspective. Location is important but the training and your own personal long term goals are much more important imo. Personally, I was really impressed with the program along the interview trail and the fellows spoke highly of their training across the board.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both very much for your input. I have a few additional questions if you don't mind.
a) For a program like Nassau (ie, not an academic powerhouse), would you say dedicated research years are necessary?
b) What's your overall opinion regarding research during residency to match PRS?
c) Outside of research, what other factors are the most important? Absite scores, LOR?

Thanks!

Thank you both very much for your input. I have a few additional questions if you don't mind.
a) For a program like Nassau (ie, not an academic powerhouse), would you say dedicated research years are necessary?
b) What's your overall opinion regarding research during residency to match PRS?
c) Outside of research, what other factors are the most important? Absite scores, LOR?

Thanks!

Research should always be conducted if you genuinely have an interest in it. I think it is awfully glaring (especially when you go to the national conferences) when a resident just did the research (a poster or talk) because it was perceived to be a "necessity" rather than something they actually had an interest in. Their talks are awful and they obviously have no idea what is going on in the field of interest let alone topic at hand. That being said, I believe when I interviewed at the Nassau program they had said that it is a requirement to publish at least one paper per year (which is pretty similar to most of the plastics programs out there). It is just good to have some involvement so that you are up to date with what is going on in the ever-changing landscape of medicine.

I think research shows that you may have an interest in the speciality but most importantly, it shows that you are disciplined enough to work on a project from start to completion and have the basics necessary to read, write, think critically and publish. It's always a + but can be a - if they ask you at the interview about it and you really do not have much to add to the topic nor can you expand on the research itself. It's a double-edged sword that not many applicants think about and treat like some sort of "check on a checkbox."

Absite scores are +/-. They won't help you and can only hurt you if you do poorly. Unfortunately when you get this high in your education (whether it be medicine, business, law, etc.) your LOR and "who you know" makes a big impact on obtaining the position. [Just like "real life" when you are applying for a job and your family member happens to be friends with the boss]. Strive to prove yourself to a mentor and obtain that personalized LOR (even better than a general LOR from some random doc known in the field). You can make your own contacts if you push yourself and put yourself out there! Personally, I am a first generation kid without parents who were doctors and come from a background which financially (even to this day) struggle to make it. Believe me, if you really want to do something, a little grit, patience, tenacity, and hard work goes a long way. ;) Good luck, bud.