National board exam !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanabeDR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how each optometry school prepare's their students to take the national boards? and % of passing in each school :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken it yet, but UHCO's pass rate for last year's class was 95%.
National average (i've heard) is around 78%

Of the 49 OSU students that took the boards (Part One) this past August, all 49 passed the 1st time. 12 students from the 3rd yr class still haven't taken the boards yet- they opted to take them this Dec instead. OSU has consistantly had a 1st-time passage rate of 93-100% (for Part One) going back at least the past 10 yrs. The national average for 1st time passage rate on Part One has been around 70% historically, but maybe it went up to 78% last yr (I won't argue with cpw). I asked one of the third yr's who just took Part One how his class prepared, and he said that everyone just pretty much read over their old notes.

Tim
OPT 1
OSU College of Optometry

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi WannabeDR,

Everyone at my school that elected to write Part 1 of the boards passed. Most people here in Canada take part 1 after their second year so that some stuff is still fresh in their minds.

Besides reading old notes, many of my classmates bought the "Berkley Guide". They said it was pretty helpful, and when used in combination with class notes, that's all you should need for Part 1.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I am an optometry student in Qeensland, Australia (US citizen). I would appreciate if you could let me know where to buy books for the board exam step 1. I heard that Berkley Guide is good for the first exam but I have no idea where to buy it. If anybody wants to sell yours to me please let me know, or just tell me where can I get it.

Thanks a lot