National Boards Part One

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone give me some insight about the National Boards Part One in Dental School. How is the exam structured? and what subjects does it cover specifically? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So does anybody know whether this computerized test is "computer adaptive"? That is, it decides what question to ask depending on how you answer the previous question (get it right the question gets harder, get it wrong and it gets easier). Looks like they haven't incorporated the PBL section yet:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GoLakers!
So does anybody know whether this computerized test is "computer adaptive"? That is, it decides what question to ask depending on how you answer the previous question (get it right the question gets harder, get it wrong and it gets easier). Looks like they haven't incorporated the PBL section yet:thumbup:

This is from the ada site: "The computerized examination is presented in the multiple-choice format and includes the same content and same time schedule as the written examination"

So I do not think it is like the GMAT...thank God bec I hate that test style

But the computerized version will be a little different from the written version in terms of:

The current testing schedule for the computerized Part I exam provides a specific time limit
(1 hour and 45 minutes) for each part or subject area of the exam. Once the time limit for a specific section has elapsed, the candidate must move on to the next section and may not return to a previous section. Candidates should note that with this schedule, they will not have the flexibility of combining or moving freely between two sections of the exam in the three hour and thirty minute morning or afternoon session as the written exam schedule permits.

Plus, if you look at the price, the computerized version is about $100 more than the written version. So....i guess if you're really that eager to get your scores.....take the computerized version? unfortunately, it takes like 3 to four weeks for you to get your scores, unlike the DAT where you get it right after the exam.

Originally posted by The Musketeer
But the computerized version will be a little different from the written version in terms of:

The current testing schedule for the computerized Part I exam provides a specific time limit
(1 hour and 45 minutes) for each part or subject area of the exam. Once the time limit for a specific section has elapsed, the candidate must move on to the next section and may not return to a previous section. Candidates should note that with this schedule, they will not have the flexibility of combining or moving freely between two sections of the exam in the three hour and thirty minute morning or afternoon session as the written exam schedule permits.

Hi,
But we may have the flexibity of moving b/w two sections from May 1 , 2004 onwards.....It's given right below the above para in ADA website
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/natboard/part1_computerized.asp#new

A new version of the computerized exam with a time schedule that allows candidates the flexibility to balance their time between two morning or two afternoon sections as allowed in the written exam schedule should be available by approximately May 1, 2004. Retesting on individual parts/subjects of the Part I exam is not currently available, but should be available by April 1, 2004.

So guess we can take the exam after May :)