national guard scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone explain how this works? is it a good deal? is it only weekends? when do you start talking to a recruiter? im going to be a D1 thanks

also don't mention HPSP, because I tried and got disqualified

Members don't see this ad.

I believe if you got disqualified for HPSP then you will also get disqualified for for the guard. I looked into doing it, but ultimately there were too many red flags. A few people said that it was hard to actually get the bonuses and others said like they felt like they were wasting their time. Ultimately, my recruiter was dodging my questions and didn't want to set me up with an actual national guard dentist to shadow so I decided against it. Your best bet would be to find a national guard dentist you could shadow and see what they do during weekend drills. Every state is different.

I believe if you got disqualified for HPSP then you will also get disqualified for for the guard. I looked into doing it, but ultimately there were too many red flags. A few people said that it was hard to actually get the bonuses and others said like they felt like they were wasting their time. Ultimately, my recruiter was dodging my questions and didn't want to set me up with an actual national guard dentist to shadow so I decided against it. Your best bet would be to find a national guard dentist you could shadow and see what they do during weekend drills. Every state is different.
thank you! i just found out that hpsp is a no go for me and my school is 100k/year. debating on going to school or not now

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! i just found out that hpsp is a no go for me and my school is 100k/year. debating on going to school or not now
If you don’t medically qualify for hpsp you shouldn’t for the guard. Financially it’s a worse deal than hpsp

If you don’t medically qualify for hpsp you shouldn’t for the guard. Financially it’s a worse deal than hpsp
why do you say financially? seems like a good deal if you only do weekends. you'd still have enough time to work private practice, right?

why do you say financially? seems like a good deal if you only do weekends. you'd still have enough time to work private practice, right?
The amount of years you owe them in exchange for a few grand per month

thought it was 40k repayment? no>

wasnt it 40k/yr repayment? i read that somewhere
Each year of which comes with another year of obligation in the guard, during which you can be activated (taking a paycut while active) and shot. It’s not free money

Reactions: 1 user

I’m pretty positive that while doing the payback MDSSP, after you license as a dentist, you are ineligible for HPLRP, only after those years of payback if you continue with the guard would you be eligible. This is just off of memory from something I saw on dental town a long time ago though, I would do a search through those forums you might find something good.

I think the national guard has stuff for specialty residencies too. I forgot what I have read though. Can anyone supplement my comment?

I’m a current student in MDSSP, I’ve been in the reserves since 2009. A lot will be dependent on the unit you get assigned to but at a very high level one weekend a month you show up to your assigned unit and do whatever assigned training they have for you but that can be very flexible for medical personnel. The deal for MDSSP is for every 6 months of stipend you receive you owe them 1 year in the reserves. So 4 years of dental school equals 8 years. Stipend is around $2200 a month. You also get drill pay while in dental school which is another $400ish a month. As far as I’m aware you are still not eligible for HPLRP while doing the initial contract repayment. There are some changes to that if you go into a critical needs specialty and elect to do MDSSP for those year in residency.

I’m a current student in MDSSP, I’ve been in the reserves since 2009. A lot will be dependent on the unit you get assigned to but at a very high level one weekend a month you show up to your assigned unit and do whatever assigned training they have for you but that can be very flexible for medical personnel. The deal for MDSSP is for every 6 months of stipend you receive you owe them 1 year in the reserves. So 4 years of dental school equals 8 years. Stipend is around $2200 a month. You also get drill pay while in dental school which is another $400ish a month. As far as I’m aware you are still not eligible for HPLRP while doing the initial contract repayment. There are some changes to that if you go into a critical needs specialty and elect to do MDSSP for those year in residency.

Thanks for the information. I was mainly talking about specialty programs like (OMS, Prosth, ect.). I know they have deals for those just forgot the specifics.

wait youre getting 2200 as a dental student while being in reserves? so its like hpsp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. I was mainly talking about specialty programs like (OMS, Prosth, ect.). I know they have deals for those just forgot the specifics.
As of last September if your specialty was on the critical needs specialty list under MDSSP you would get the stipend and you could get loan repayment of 25k per year of residency. Under HPLRP the repayment supposedly is not pretaxed and goes straight to the principal. I would need to hear from someone that has used it before I would believe thats true but that was the info relayed to us by the benefits manager.

Been in the Guard since 2010 and just graduated med school (so a bit different as far as critical needs specialty specific stuff but still similar) with MDSSP. Whoever said the National Guard scholarship is worse than active duty is BEYOND crazy and has no idea what the h3ll they're talking about... active duty guys may get school paid for up front and get a stipend during school but they graduate and make trash pay compared to what the guard guys make when you get to combine civilian pay (add an extra 100k/year for you general dentistry guys compared to active duty) plus National Guard pay. Plus you aren't told where to live. Oh and did I mention that the HPSP guys aren't eligible for Tricare while in school while the National Guard is lol. Same retirement outline for both active duty and National Guard.

I get 2000 per month (stipend) plus 500 per month (drill pay) after tax. You are eligible for HPLRP whether you decide to take the 2000 per month MDSSP stipend or not, it will just add more time in the Guard. Agree that your duties in dental school will be state and unit dependent... However, there's something called the flexible training schedule that every state has, to my knowledge, that allows you to drill quarterly instead of monthly which helps when you have an exam on Monday morning and can't possible miss out on studying during drill weekend. I love the National Guard and couldn't be happier with my decision to stay in during med school and after. Highly recommend it if you are at all interested and have the ability to serve.

Reactions: 1 users
The HPLRP combined with MDSSP must be guard specific, definitely can’t get both unless in critical needs specialty in reserves.
Agreed that reserves/guard is a way better deal financially than going active. The flexibility is nice, as long as I turn in something every quarter I won’t show up on the non participant list. Don’t even have to do the annual training to be cosindered a good year for retirement. We also have the option to set up a clinical trade agreement with a local clinic or VA and can do that instead of drilling. They will also pay for for flight, hotels, per diem, and up to $250 in registration fees for related conferences if you want to go while in school.

As of last September if your specialty was on the critical needs specialty list under MDSSP you would get the stipend and you could get loan repayment of 25k per year of residency. Under HPLRP the repayment supposedly is not pretaxed and goes straight to the principal. I would need to hear from someone that has used it before I would believe thats true but that was the info relayed to us by the benefits manager.

Thanks for the information. Where could I find the list of criticalness specialties?

Thanks for the information. Where could I find the list of criticalness specialties?

Reach out to a health care recruiter. I know from when I read it last September OMFS, ENDO, and 2 year GPR/AEGDs were on there and maybe one or two others

Been in the Guard since 2010 and just graduated med school (so a bit different as far as critical needs specialty specific stuff but still similar) with MDSSP. Whoever said the National Guard scholarship is worse than active duty is BEYOND crazy and has no idea what the h3ll they're talking about... active duty guys may get school paid for up front and get a stipend during school but they graduate and make trash pay compared to what the guard guys make when you get to combine civilian pay (add an extra 100k/year for you general dentistry guys compared to active duty) plus National Guard pay. Plus you aren't told where to live. Oh and did I mention that the HPSP guys aren't eligible for Tricare while in school while the National Guard is lol. Same retirement outline for both active duty and National Guard.

I get 2000 per month (stipend) plus 500 per month (drill pay) after tax. You are eligible for HPLRP whether you decide to take the 2000 per month MDSSP stipend or not, it will just add more time in the Guard. Agree that your duties in dental school will be state and unit dependent... However, there's something called the flexible training schedule that every state has, to my knowledge, that allows you to drill quarterly instead of monthly which helps when you have an exam on Monday morning and can't possible miss out on studying during drill weekend. I love the National Guard and couldn't be happier with my decision to stay in during med school and after. Highly recommend it if you are at all interested and have the ability to serve.
is it too late to apply? where do i start? lol

is it too late to sign up? do you have a recruiter number?
For this year you’re out of luck. Check google for your nearest army medical recruiter. It’s a long process with lots of redundant paper work that will probably get lost once or twice and need to be repeated.

i can do it for next year while im still in school?
For this year you’re out of luck. Check google for your nearest army medical recruiter. It’s a long process with lots of redundant paper work that will probably get lost once or twice and need to be repeated.

is it too late to sign up? do you have a recruiter number?
Unless the dentists are drastically different than med students there is no timeline for mdssp, it’s whenever you get your paperwork done. Which as been mentioned, will include multiple screw ups and it bejng delayed to at least 5 times as long as it should take

You need to ask for the AMEDD specialty branch recruiter when you talk to the Guard recruiter. Regular recruiters aren’t going to have the info you need.

Reactions: 1 users
i can do it for next year while im still in school?
When I went through the process in 2017 there was a timeline and they were only offering to people who had 4 years or 3 years left of dental school. The selection board happens at a certain time in the year and you need to get everything done and submitted prior to that date. If you only have one year left of school I would suggest talking to them about just joining the reserves straight out instead of MDSSP. Going straight into the reserves is a better deal financially than MDSSP.

can someone explain how this works? is it a good deal? is it only weekends? when do you start talking to a recruiter? im going to be a D1 thanks

also don't mention HPSP, because I tried and got disqualified

The Army National Guard is not really a scholarship but a stipend program during school and loan repayment when you graduate. When you join you would commission as a 2nd lieutenant. During school, you will drill one weekend each month. Most drills are Saturday and Sunday and only a couple include Fridays (since you are a student, you don't have to worry about the few Fridays). Also, there is an annual training (AT) of 2 weeks. Again, if there is a conflict you can work that out with your unit. But if you can attend AT, that would be some nice pocket change.
Also, you will be required to do BOLC within the first 36 months of joining. If there are conflicts in your school and/or residency schedule you can apply for a waiver.

When you graduate from school you will be promoted to Captain. You have to serve 1 full year after dental school before being eligible for the HPLRP. This loan repayment is $40,000/yr (28K after tax) for 6 years.

The National Guard is a great deal in my opinion. You can have any civilian job you want making max dollars while still getting a significant portion of your student loans paid off. Also, if you want to apply for the NHSC loan repayment you can do that in conjunction with the National Guard and accelerate the repayment of your loans.

The Army National Guard is not really a scholarship but a stipend program during school and loan repayment when you graduate. When you join you would commission as a 2nd lieutenant. During school, you will drill one weekend each month. Most drills are Saturday and Sunday and only a couple include Fridays (since you are a student, you don't have to worry about the few Fridays). Also, there is an annual training (AT) of 2 weeks. Again, if there is a conflict you can work that out with your unit. But if you can attend AT, that would be some nice pocket change.
Also, you will be required to do BOLC within the first 36 months of joining. If there are conflicts in your school and/or residency schedule you can apply for a waiver.

When you graduate from school you will be promoted to Captain. You have to serve 1 full year after dental school before being eligible for the HPLRP. This loan repayment is $40,000/yr (28K after tax) for 6 years.

The National Guard is a great deal in my opinion. You can have any civilian job you want making max dollars while still getting a significant portion of your student loans paid off. Also, if you want to apply for the NHSC loan repayment you can do that in conjunction with the National Guard and accelerate the repayment of your loans.
Wow, this is a much better deal than what the reserves offers.

I think they tax it at a 25% rate and I heard they don't start paying out until after you complete your first year. You do need to account for if the unit also makes you do a 2-week annual training and how long officer training will last. You can also get cheap medical insurance through TriCare when in the Guard (~$50 solo around $200 family a month) One weekend a month doesn't sound like much, but think of working two weeks back to back with no break (assuming 5 day work week). The "you may get shot" statement is complete BS. Reality is most likely won't get deployed as a dentist in the National Guard and it isn't a full deployment anyways. I must add YOU ARE BEING DEPLOYED AS A DENTIST not an infantryman. You'll sit in the back of the base with your pimp daddy officer quarters and special chow hall (depending on size of FOB). The Army National Guard does have more benefits than the Air National Guard, but the Air Guard may be a better choice for you. Do NOT go into the reserves...the reserves are federal and they could activate you into full-time duty for anything (not just overseas deployments).

Last edited:
I think they tax it at a 25% rate and I heard they don't start paying out until after you complete your first year. You do need to account for if the unit also makes you do a 2-week annual training and how long officer training will last. You can also get cheap medical insurance through TriCare when in the Guard (~$50 solo around $200 family a month) One weekend a month doesn't sound like much, but think of working two weeks back to back with no break (assuming 5 day work week). The "you may get shot" statement is complete BS. Reality is most likely won't get deployed as a dentist in the National Guard and it isn't a full deployment anyways. The Army National Guard does have more benefits than the Air National Guard, but the Air Guard may be a better choice for you. Do NOT go into the reserves...the reserves are federal and they could activate you into full-time duty for anything (not just overseas deployments).

I was in the Guard as an enlisted soldier and airman for 12 years, deployed twice. Loved it and hated it. Regret nothing.

I think they tax it at a 25% rate and I heard they don't start paying out until after you complete your first year. You do need to account for if the unit also makes you do a 2-week annual training and how long officer training will last. You can also get cheap medical insurance through TriCare when in the Guard (~$50 solo around $200 family a month) One weekend a month doesn't sound like much, but think of working two weeks back to back with no break (assuming 5 day work week). The "you may get shot" statement is complete BS. Reality is most likely won't get deployed as a dentist in the National Guard and it isn't a full deployment anyways. I must add YOU ARE BEING DEPLOYED AS A DENTIST not an infantryman. You'll sit in the back of the base with your pimp daddy officer quarters and special chow hall (depending on size of FOB). The Army National Guard does have more benefits than the Air National Guard, but the Air Guard may be a better choice for you. Do NOT go into the reserves...the reserves are federal and they could activate you into full-time duty for anything (not just overseas deployments).

Still have to travel in country and things happen, agreed on low odds but you actually can die and people need to acknowledge it

And the guard is not protected from federal activation. I have no idea what that comment means about avoiding the reserves to avoid federal.

And the guard is not protected from federal activation. I have no idea what that comment means about avoiding the reserves to avoid federal.
The National Guard is a state entity and the primary purpose is availability for the state's needs. The governor releases you from the state to the federal government for deployments. You will deploy as a unit not as an individual unless you volunteer for a deployment. The army deploys usually as a Brigade Combat Team (2,000+ soldiers) on a 5 years off and 1 year deployed cycle. These deployments can include deploying to maintain peace, such as eastern Europe, etc. Any dentists within that brigade will not deploy for the full duration unless its a short tour anyways. All reservists belong to the federal government and can be activated for anything the Big Army wants. I.e. shortage of active duty dentists in the US equals the reservists will have to fill the slots.

The National Guard is a state entity and the primary purpose is availability for the state's needs. The governor releases you from the state to the federal government for deployments. You will deploy as a unit not as an individual unless you volunteer for a deployment. The army deploys usually as a Brigade Combat Team (2,000+ soldiers) on a 5 years off and 1 year deployed cycle. These deployments can include deploying to maintain peace, such as eastern Europe, etc. Any dentists within that brigade will not deploy for the full duration unless its a short tour anyways. All reservists belong to the federal government and can be activated for anything the Big Army wants. I.e. shortage of active duty dentists in the US equals the reservists will have to fill the slots.

My point wasn't to join the Guard to "avoid federal service." It was to choose the Guard as you have more protections from being activated for anything the Big Army wants while your business at home crashes into nothing.

I’m aware

I also think it’s possible you are incorrect if you are implying the governor can legally decide no one from their state’s guard can be activated by the president

I’m aware

I also think it’s possible you are incorrect if you are implying the governor can legally decide no one from their state’s guard can be activated by the president

Legally?...no, not without enacting some baloney executive order or action through the legislature. The Guard relies on federal funding along with some state funds, so "forcing" a state activation would most likely be done through with-holding funds.