National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zriceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are the deployments different from those of the AF, Navy, or Army? As far as I understand, dental students can be deployed for 90 days at time following graduation from dental schools. Wikipedia states soldiers in the national guard can not be deployed outside of United States, but I sincerely doubt this is correct. If so, are these soldiers being deployed to the same areas as those in the AF, NAVY, and the ARMY?

Members don't see this ad.

in the army.....physicians, dentists and nurse anesthetists will only be deployed for 90 BOG (boots on ground - meaning 90 days at the destination, be it iraq, or fort stewart.....).

not included in this 90 days can be up to 30 days for mobilization and 30 days for de-mobilization....although the mob and de-mob usually do not take that long.
there is also a waiting period between deployments, but i don't remember what it is. i believe it is either 18 or 24 months.

army national guard soldiers can be deployed in-country, or overseas. dentists, physicians and nurse anesthetists are also considered unique, in that they can be deployed individually, without the rest of their unit, which is something most guard soldiers won't do.

How are the deployments different from those of the AF, Navy, or Army? As far as I understand, dental students can be deployed for 90 days at time following graduation from dental schools. Wikipedia states soldiers in the national guard can not be deployed outside of United States, but I sincerely doubt this is correct. If so, are these soldiers being deployed to the same areas as those in the AF, NAVY, and the ARMY?

In the national guard you can deploy in the states, out of the states, or in a war zone.

Members don't see this ad :)
When dentists are deployed into war zones, do they only stay on the base or is there a possibility that he or she must go with a unit, say an infantry unit, doing patrols, kicking down doors, etc.

When dentists are deployed into war zones, do they only stay on the base or is there a possibility that he or she must go with a unit, say an infantry unit, doing patrols, kicking down doors, etc.

Stay on the base being a dentist. Occasionally there may be a humanitarian mission, but that would be the only reason you would leave.

it's always possible as you are a soldier first, dentist second. however, it isn't likely.

you could expect to spend your time doing dentistry. the setting you work out of and equipment you have access to will very greatly, dependant upon where you are deployed to.