National Honors Society and ACT prep classes

kasoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my school a 3.75 gpa is required to hold a membership to national honors society. I am right on the border line for that. Anyone want to explain to me the significance of me joining National honors society.
An i have taken the practice ACT in my cshool and recived a 30 my school offers a act prep course for $1200 its a symester long after school, and your guaranteed to score higher than your practice or your money back.
is this worht taking for me aswell?

Members don't see this ad.

Given your spelling and grammar, I'd say that you should take any help you can get.

[/snark]

Don't take PLAN as an indicator of ACT performance. It's been notoriously inaccurate--definitely study for it, even if you think you could settle for a 30. Chance is good that you won't get that 30, no matter what your PLAN results said. If you think taking the course will help that much (and if you and/or your parents are willing to fork over the money), then take it. But there are other cheap-to-free options besides paying for a class.

As far as NHS goes, it's just another club on your record. Many schools don't have an NHS club and each school sets their own standards for admittance, and has a committee of teachers deciding who gets in (allowing for biases). For those reasons, it's really not worth more than any other sport or club on your resume.

However, every little bit helps.

In my school a 3.75 gpa is required to hold a membership to national honors society. I am right on the border line for that. Anyone want to explain to me the significance of me joining National honors society.
An i have taken the practice ACT in my cshool and recived a 30 my school offers a act prep course for $1200 its a symester long after school, and your guaranteed to score higher than your practice or your money back.
is this worht taking for me aswell?

Hi, I am a NHS president for my school and I found that the NHS really helped for getting into honors programs and scholarships.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Tibula when she says that NHS is not as important as it seems and that every school has its own standards for admission into the club. At my school, for example, you need a GPA of at least a 3.75, you need to have 50+ volunteer hours, need a LOR from a previous teacher, and have to have some sort of leadership position (captain of a sports team, president of a club, etc.)

Case in point...

For our NHS chapter, you need a 3.5 GPA and an essay explaining how you fulfill the four cornerstones of NHS. And if you have the GPA and you write an essay, you're in. How do you compare my induction to NHS with bailey42, who has to bust a gut to get in?

Given your spelling and grammar, I'd say that you should take any help you can get.

[/snark]

Don't take PLAN as an indicator of ACT performance. It's been notoriously inaccurate--definitely study for it, even if you think you could settle for a 30. Chance is good that you won't get that 30, no matter what your PLAN results said. If you think taking the course will help that much (and if you and/or your parents are willing to fork over the money), then take it. But there are other cheap-to-free options besides paying for a class.

As far as NHS goes, it's just another club on your record. Many schools don't have an NHS club and each school sets their own standards for admittance, and has a committee of teachers deciding who gets in (allowing for biases). For those reasons, it's really not worth more than any other sport or club on your resume.

However, every little bit helps.

Wrote that on my itouch sorry if i misspelled some words there.
im going NHS soon probably good thing to put on application i guess

NHS always looks good on applications.

As for the class, I would take the real ACT first and see how you do. If you feel you really need to pay for a class after taking the test then by all means, do it. Oh and practice tests, while they are a good way to prepare for the real thing, don't usually reflect what you would make on a real test. Everyone I know usually makes higher on practice tests than on the real thing.

Somehow I managed to sneak into NHS with a 90.03 average (we had to have at least a 90) heh, let's just say last year was not a good year for me. Anyways, for my chapter at least, you had to have a list of activities, awards, clubs, and community service also, plus a letter of recommendation and an essay... It does look good on college apps though, and you get community service from it too. I would definitely do it if you have time.

I'm president of our National Honor Society chapter, and have found it to be basically pointless.. However, you should probably still get into it because it does look good on scholarships, honors, applications, etc.. Get into it.

ACT prep classes can be very beneficial, but not for 1200 bucks, save that money for college.. You can learn the same information by buying a book such as The Princeton Review for around 30 dollars I believe, also invest in a practice test book and do one every week or two..

I used this strategy and increased my score from a 26 to a 32.

Good luck!

yeah i just bought two books for ACT kaplan and the real ACT with some practice tests in there im gonna use those and see how they go.

Let me say this if you are still thinking about NHS. As a precursor, your school may be different, but this was my experience.

Don't do it. It doesn't help with crap. First of all you have to get up way early, and then the environment they create is terrible and negative. All they talk about is how important it is to be at the meetings. Also, I have applied for Early Entry into a pharmacy school and THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT. They only care if you are president or another position. I regret doing it, biggest waste of time in my highschool career.

I will save my ACT rant for another time.

Don't do it. It doesn't help with crap. First of all you have to get up way early, and then the environment they create is terrible and negative. All they talk about is how important it is to be at the meetings. Also, I have applied for Early Entry into a pharmacy school and THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT. They only care if you are president or another position. I regret doing it, biggest waste of time in my highschool career.

Seriously. I'm a member of CSF and NHS and at our school, we do absolutely nothing really. We have meetings every once in a while, and the club leaders take 'volunteer suggestions' yet never follow through them. It's just something to add onto your transcript to make yourself look better. I was hoping for something more, and was hugely dissapointed. Many people get over 3.0 GPA to qualify for such clubs so competitive schools don't care about NHS at all.--Because it's so common.

my highschool is like in the top 3% on nations best high schools so maybe a membership here means more perhaps?

nhs is a joke, dont really do anything, but it looks good. Just have to get up early once a month

nhs is a joke, dont really do anything, but it looks good. Just have to get up early once a month
In my highschool, all you have to do is pay the dues, attend the once-in-a-LONG-time lunch meeting to think of fundraising, and if you can't sell those fundraising chips (since they're a rip off to begin with), you buy it yourself to demonstrate as a "active" member. x.x