Natural Medication Alternatives (What options have worked well with your patients?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbusChutney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gout: Wild cherry juice. I've heard many say that they believe that works better than any pharmaceutical.
I also personally like to recommend Melatonin for sleep. What do you guys like to recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Allopurinol and diphenhydramine

Reactions: 6 users
Vitamin B6 for morning sickness (and carpal tunnel syndrome too).

When I was at the grocery store, we had a customer who regularly ordered Lydia Pinkham's, and admitted that she didn't believe in traditional medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully the flu shot guy stops by

Reactions: 5 users
Vitamin B6 for morning sickness (and carpal tunnel syndrome too).

When I was at the grocery store, we had a customer who regularly ordered Lydia Pinkham's, and admitted that she didn't believe in traditional medicine.

Speaking of B6 what is the standard recommendation for PMS?

-Advil?
-Naproxen?
-Combo product (usually have pain reliever, weak diuretic and antihistamine)?
-Says online Vitamin E, B6, Calcium, and Magnesium are good?

While I'm at is what about for menopause symptoms OTC?

I also remember a customer saying that their D3 script was for either PMS or menopause (can't remember which). Does this even make sense?

OP reminds me of a pt who stopped their BP meds because "cinnamon works just as well". Sadly, they had a stroke subsequently.

@idiot black cohash has a little evidence for treating menopause.

Examine is a great website for finding peer reviewed literature (at the bottom) on supplements. I don't always agree with their interpretation of the data, but it is decent overall. I recommend checking it out.
https://examine.com/supplements/black-cohosh/

Consumerlabs.com is one of the few (?only) resources that publish assay data on supplements and individual manufacturers. I havent paid in a few years, but it was nice at the time to be able to counsel patients on how to waste their money most effectively

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Time and Obecalp have the best evidence

Reactions: 1 user
I subscribe to consumerlab and in the store I look up the patient handout in Natural Meds database.

For alternative medicines, I recommend the functional medicine guidelines. https://www.functionalmedicine.org/

This stuff is very useful-- a lot of people may call it quackery, but the physicians monitor the efficacy of their protocols with all the standard labs and examination protocols. Many people get results with these protocols when other standards of care fail them.

Natural medicines? There haven't been enough double blind placebo controlled studies performed on them. Kind of like all vaccines. I don't recommend them.

Reactions: 1 users
Saline nasal spray. Sleep hygiene. That's about it. Maybe CoQ10 if somebody has mild muscle cramping from statins (but I would recommend they see a doctor first and ask their opinion in case it's actually some other issue). Looking at CoQ10 papers that are more recent, it looks like maybe there's no point in recommending it at all.