You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Natural Medication Alternatives (What options have worked well with your patients?)
Started by AlbusChutney
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vitamin B6 for morning sickness (and carpal tunnel syndrome too).
When I was at the grocery store, we had a customer who regularly ordered Lydia Pinkham's, and admitted that she didn't believe in traditional medicine.
Speaking of B6 what is the standard recommendation for PMS?
-Advil?
-Naproxen?
-Combo product (usually have pain reliever, weak diuretic and antihistamine)?
-Says online Vitamin E, B6, Calcium, and Magnesium are good?
While I'm at is what about for menopause symptoms OTC?
I also remember a customer saying that their D3 script was for either PMS or menopause (can't remember which). Does this even make sense?
OP reminds me of a pt who stopped their BP meds because "cinnamon works just as well". Sadly, they had a stroke subsequently.
@idiot black cohash has a little evidence for treating menopause.
Examine is a great website for finding peer reviewed literature (at the bottom) on supplements. I don't always agree with their interpretation of the data, but it is decent overall. I recommend checking it out.
https://examine.com/supplements/black-cohosh/
@idiot black cohash has a little evidence for treating menopause.
Examine is a great website for finding peer reviewed literature (at the bottom) on supplements. I don't always agree with their interpretation of the data, but it is decent overall. I recommend checking it out.
https://examine.com/supplements/black-cohosh/
Consumerlabs.com is one of the few (?only) resources that publish assay data on supplements and individual manufacturers. I havent paid in a few years, but it was nice at the time to be able to counsel patients on how to waste their money most effectively
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
For alternative medicines, I recommend the functional medicine guidelines. https://www.functionalmedicine.org/
This stuff is very useful-- a lot of people may call it quackery, but the physicians monitor the efficacy of their protocols with all the standard labs and examination protocols. Many people get results with these protocols when other standards of care fail them.
This stuff is very useful-- a lot of people may call it quackery, but the physicians monitor the efficacy of their protocols with all the standard labs and examination protocols. Many people get results with these protocols when other standards of care fail them.
If there were a "natural" alternative that was better than placebo, we'd all be recommending it.
We do recommend exercise and CBT for symptoms of PMS and menopause.
We do recommend exercise and CBT for symptoms of PMS and menopause.
Speaking of B6 what is the standard recommendation for PMS?
Kevlar.
Oh wait, you meant for the patient, not her spouse! My bad.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Saline nasal spray. Sleep hygiene. That's about it. Maybe CoQ10 if somebody has mild muscle cramping from statins (but I would recommend they see a doctor first and ask their opinion in case it's actually some other issue). Looking at CoQ10 papers that are more recent, it looks like maybe there's no point in recommending it at all.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 442
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K