NAU Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTaztx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Have any of you heard from NAU about an interview?

I grew up in AZ but I'm doing my undergrad out of state so, unfortunately, I'm no longer considered an AZ resident... I know this really hurts my chances for even getting an interview, but I'd love to know so I can stop worrying about it so much.

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything either. I live out of state also though so I am not really expecting much of a chance.

I haven't heard anything either (also out of state), but another thread said they let applicants know the third week of January, so maybe we'll hear by tomorrow. Does anyone know if they send an email or regular postal mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked w/ DPT office today. Apparently Jill G. in the adm. office is no longer there. NAU is in the process of replacing her. Phone msg have been saying the line is not staffed. So I called the fwrd number. Big lag time in returning calls too. I was told,
"Director is working on getting the emails out regarding interviews by the end of this week and next. We're a bit behind". Notices will be email.....and you will be notified if you have an interview AND if you don't.
Long shot here too, and I live in state. Good Luck to all and patience!

Talked w/ DPT office today. Apparently Jill G. in the adm. office is no longer there. NAU is in the process of replacing her. Phone msg have been saying the line is not staffed. So I called the fwrd number. Big lag time in returning calls too. I was told,
"Director is working on getting the emails out regarding interviews by the end of this week and next. We're a bit behind". Notices will be email.....and you will be notified if you have an interview AND if you don't.
Long shot here too, and I live in state. Good Luck to all and patience!

Thank you so much for the info! Way to take some initiative! lol

Also, some (possibly) good news: not sure if you guys heard, but NAU is opening up a brand new PT campus down in Phoenix with its first class beginning this August. It's a partnership with UofA and ASU at the med school down there. The best part is this opens up another 25 spots in the program! I called NAU after I found out about it and they said our applications will be considered for both of their campuses. Although I'd much rather be in Flag, it's nice that our chances are higher.

Here's the link with there article:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...1/08/20120108nau-phoenix-downtown-campus.html

Best wishes to all you guys-I'll see you in Flagstaff in a few weeks (praying...)! :)

Yup, they are going to have more apps on the wait list, they have staff positions posted for the Bio Medical Campus, etc. Still pending approval which they hope to have by May. Kinda hard to wait to make a decision if you have choices. Here's an idea....you take a Flag seat I'll take a PHX one. But the lower cost would off set any deposits put down elsewhere. Breath.......in.......out......

Yup, they are going to have more apps on the wait list, they have staff positions posted for the Bio Medical Campus, etc. Still pending approval which they hope to have by May. Kinda hard to wait to make a decision if you have choices. Here's an idea....you take a Flag seat I'll take a PHX one. But the lower cost would off set any deposits put down elsewhere. Breath.......in.......out......

Deal! I really like what they have to offer at the Phoenix campus but I've lived in both (Phoenix for 15 years, Flag for 3) and Flagstaff will always have a special place in my heart. lol I didn't know they're still waiting on the Phoenix campus to be approved-that's kind of a pain. You're right, though. It'd totally be worth making deposits elsewhere.

And, yes, relax... It's so hard waiting-I don't think I've slept since last summer.

Thank you so much for the info! Way to take some initiative! lol

Also, some (possibly) good news: not sure if you guys heard, but NAU is opening up a brand new PT campus down in Phoenix with its first class beginning this August. It's a partnership with UofA and ASU at the med school down there. The best part is this opens up another 25 spots in the program! I called NAU after I found out about it and they said our applications will be considered for both of their campuses. Although I'd much rather be in Flag, it's nice that our chances are higher.

Here's the link with there article:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...1/08/20120108nau-phoenix-downtown-campus.html

Best wishes to all you guys-I'll see you in Flagstaff in a few weeks (praying...)! :)
So I saw that NAU accepts 48 students... Is that including the Flagstaff and Pheonix location?

So I saw that NAU accepts 48 students... Is that including the Flagstaff and Pheonix location?

That's just the Flag campus. I'm not sure if this means they will accept less at the Flag campus this year, though, to offset the loss of professors to Phoenix.

48 in Flag and 25ish in PHX, more will be on the waitlist to pull for seats. Some accepted apps will have a choice as to which campus ..... at some point accepted apps will be told which campus they have a seat.

I got an interview email today from NAU -- I'm scheduled for Saturday, March 3rd. :)

Did anyone else hear back?

Saturday, March 3 @ 1 PM.

Haven't decided if I'll go yet cuz I'd be coming from out of state. Anyone know how many people they invite compared to how many get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'm confused because my email says I'm scheduled for an interview at 1 PM and it will take 3.5 hours, with 3 one-on-one interviews. But then it says there is an information session scheduled from 1:30-2:30 with the Dean of Students. I don't know if that means it's part of my interview day or if that's something separate and I'm going to have to miss it because I'll be in my interview during that time...

SO VERY EXCITED>>>>>> interview March 2nd at 10 AM. w/ general info session at 1:30-2:30 THank God I don't have classes on Fri.

BLUEJEWBALLS: the emails give you basics on the interview - they are one-on-one.

I think they interview 150. Congrats to everyone......they must have had 800 apps.

SO EXCITED!!! Now to knock some socks Off!!!

Good Luck to the class of 2015.

March 2nd at 730! Beyond excited/nervous. NAU is definitely my top choice!

Anyone interview at NAU today? How did it go? Any tips to pass on those interviewing tomorrow?

Bluejewballs: so did you get in?
I'm waitlisted, here's hoping some folks decline. May is a long time to wait. At least it's not a straight out rejection. keeping fingers crossed and trying to stay positive.

Just read the email...accepted for 2015! Could not be more excited!

Also remember that they are for sure taking 24 students off the wait list! Have faith!

Sorry for checking in so late... got the good news on Mon. -- I'm in. Still hasn't fully sunken in yet, I think.

For those on the wait list, yes, have faith! May is not too far away.

I tried to fax the accepance of the waitlist spot today and it would not go through-registered as " NG poor line condition / out of memory". Figured everyone else was sending theirs in as well. :) Anyone else have that experience

Last edited:
Just curious on those of you that have been accepted to NAU and also those who have been wait listed? Would you mind putting up your stats? GPA? Science GPA? GRE scores? Degree? Anybody know what they look at most and what increases your chances of being accepted. I appreciate the help

Trying to second guess any of the adm com is beyond my comprehension. Looking at these posts over the last year I have seen people w/ high qualifications get rejected at the same schools that others that look like mine get in. Nice to at least believe they look beyond the stats.
BS/ Kin
GPA 3.15 (PTCAS)
PGPA 2.82 (one psych still in progress at AU time)
Science 2.62 (still completing a Bio-not required at NAU)
GRE V 460 Q 580 AW 3.5
4 different environments for observation 130 hrs
IN STATE
All I can figure is they liked my essays and LORs. The interviewers asked about various things that were included in those docs, why NAU, why PT. Never discussed w/ me my grades (Cs in A/P)
I am glad I wasn't scared away and applied there. They say they lean towards the in-state apps. % are on PTCAS info.
I've been told the interview is a very important process of getting to know you and if you and the program are a good fit.
Guessing you might be considering for the next cycle.

Just curious on those of you that have been accepted to NAU and also those who have been wait listed? Would you mind putting up your stats? GPA? Science GPA? GRE scores? Degree? Anybody know what they look at most and what increases your chances of being accepted. I appreciate the help

University: Eastern Washington University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.72 (3.53 PTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.85
Last 60 Hrs GPA - 3.9 (after academic update)
Revised GRE: V - 147 (410 old version) Q - 149 (620 old version) AW - 3.5

Extra-Curric: Pre PT Club, PeeWee football coach, Intramural Sports, A&P Lab instructor.

Volunteer: 452 hrs (Outpatient Ortho (2), Acute, Inpatient Rehab- Aquatics)

Applied: Eastern Washington University, UW, Univ of Puget Sound, Montana, Mayo, Northern AZ Univ, Pacific U,

Acceptances: UPS

Rejections: Mayo, NAU, EWU, UW, Montana

Interviews: Pacific (declined)

Here are my stats, as you can see I wasn't granted admission or an interview by NAU. But I think they give a huge preference to in-state students. Plus my GRE didn't help lol

At least I was wait listed within the top 10. Let's hope downtown Phoenix campus gets accredited!

Numbers below average. I'm estimating
Az native
Overall gpa-3.2
Pre-req gpa-3.6
Gre v- 640 m- 660. Writing 3.5
Over 100 Obs hours in 3 settings
A lot of work experience.

Hey I was accepted a few days after my March 3rd interview. I was so excited but now I'm trying to get in contact with people who have also been accepted bc I'm out of state. Anyone else been in contact with other members of the new class?

So EXCITED! Hope everyone who has been waitlisted and is waiting on the Phoenix campus to be accredited will be receiving good news soon. :)

I thought I would restart this thread because NAU interview season will begin soon. NAU will inform its applicants if they have been accepted for an interview by the "third week of January."

The NAU website states the school will decide to interview applicants, "based on their overall grade point average and Quantitative, Verbal, and Analytical Writing GRE scores." Their admissions website also says that, "Arizona residents are given some preference over non-Arizona residents when determining who is invited for an interview."

I hope that my statistics and the fact that I am an Arizona resident will make me competitive for an interview position!

University: University of Arizona
Major: Physiological Sciences B.S.
Minor: Molecular Biology
Overall GPA (PTCAS): 3.83
Science GPA (PTCAS): 3.77
Upper Division GPA: 4.0
Self Reported PT Pre-Requisite GPA (PTCAS): 3.59 (classes that I took freshman year)
Four letters of reference (1 PT, 3 PhDs)
GRE: V 580/158, Q 740/158, AW 5.0 Total 1320/316

Good luck to everyone! We should hear about whether or not we received an interview in 1-2 weeks time. :)

Source:
http://nau.edu/CHHS/Physical-Therapy/Degree-Overview/Admission/

I thought I would restart this thread because NAU interview season will begin soon. NAU will inform its applicants if they have been accepted for an interview by the "third week of January."

The NAU website states the school will decide to interview applicants, "based on their overall grade point average and Quantitative, Verbal, and Analytical Writing GRE scores." Their admissions website also says that, "Arizona residents are given some preference over non-Arizona residents when determining who is invited for an interview."

I hope that my statistics and the fact that I am an Arizona resident will make me competitive for an interview position!

University: University of Arizona
Major: Physiological Sciences B.S.
Minor: Molecular Biology
Overall GPA (PTCAS): 3.83
Science GPA (PTCAS): 3.77
Upper Division GPA: 4.0
Self Reported PT Pre-Requisite GPA (PTCAS): 3.59 (classes that I took freshman year)
Four letters of reference (1 PT, 3 PhDs)
GRE: V 580/158, Q 740/158, AW 5.0 Total 1320/316

Good luck to everyone! We should hear about whether or not we received an interview in 1-2 weeks time. :)

Source:
http://nau.edu/CHHS/Physical-Therapy/Degree-Overview/Admission/

With your stats I don't think there's any question that you'll get an interview. I'm envious !

With your stats I don't think there's any question that you'll get an interview. I'm envious !

Thanks rockstudy! Did you apply to NAU? The 14th of January is technically the 3rd week of January. So we could start learning about interview placements in as early as 6 days!

I can't wait to hear from NAU! I'm from out of state, so hoping that they will still invite me.

Overall GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 4.00
GRE 161V 158Q 5.5AW
Observation: About 200 hrs in 3 settings: inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and sports
Nontrad student with lots of work experience, run my own business, have lots community volunteer experience both in US and internationally
Applied to: NAU, TWU, CSUN (NAU and TWU are my top choices)
Accepted: TWU

I applied too. I'm excited to hear back, they're my #1.

cGPA 3.95
preGPA 4.0
GRE 162/159/4.0
~2000 hours (mostly outpatient and 8 SNF)

I toured the Downtown Phoenix campus. It's brand spanking new and high tech. I couldn't hope for anything more as far as facilities go. Parking, cost of living, crime rates, and new teaching staff are the negatives. Flagstaff is way prettier, better weather, and has well-known staff, but I'm not sure about the facilities. Has anyone been there? Next year DTPHX is taking anatomy with the PA students and eventually I think the UofA med students who share the building. Not sure when. They said PT's get first cut on the cadavers while it's the muscles and joints and PA's next semester when it's more internals.

If I'm reading it right it says they give interviews based on GPA and GRE scores only, and then acceptances based on GPA, GRE, lor's and essay. If this is the case, I'm a little worried because I got a 149 V (their minimum) :( oh well, we will see...good luck to all!

If anyone is reading this who interviewed at NAU last year, could you let us know what the format was, how the interview went, whether there was an essay, etc? Also, what were the facilities like? If you are a current student, what do you love and not love about the program? Thanks!

If anyone is reading this who interviewed at NAU last year, could you let us know what the format was, how the interview went, whether there was an essay, etc? Also, what were the facilities like? If you are a current student, what do you love and not love about the program? Thanks!

I second okramango's statement. It would be nice to know more about some of the technicalities of the interview.

Thanks! :)

I interviewed, ended up 4 by the end of the waitlist. so didn't get accepted :(

Interview was much less stressful than anticipated. NO ESSAY. I interview 1:1 w/ 3 staff members, there was a general orientation w/ the director and a discussion session w/ staff and current students.They asked me the general questions, why PT....... some personal info and discussion about info that was in my LORs that people wrote. I was able to ask questions about their different programs. I was told that the *** staff was being split between campuses.
I really enjoyed the interviews and felt relaxed. AZ res. so I interviewed on the Fri. Out of staters interviewed on Sat. I think about 150 were interviewed for the 75ish spots. (Flag and Phx) they said there were doing it seperately this year but don't know if they are sticking to that. We all interviewed in Flag last year for both campuses, some candidates had a choice, once a program was filled then the others were place at one campus or the other.....
You should be able to follow this thread and another one regarding NAU regarding our comments from last year.
Good Luck.
Oh I ended up at Touro NV. very happy here.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from NAU yet? On their website it says that we should hear about interviews by the third week of January.

I spoke with them a couple weeks ago and they told me we should hear from them by 1/18/13.

I spoke with them a couple weeks ago and they told me we should hear from them by 1/18/13.

Ugh I'm sick lol. Been anxiously waiting to hear from them since I submitted in August. Glad the wait is almost over either way though.

NAU just sent me an email saying that my interview will be on February 22nd in Flagstaff!!! Has anyone else heard back yet?

NAU just sent me an email saying that my interview will be on February 22nd in Flagstaff!!! Has anyone else heard back yet?

congrats !!! thats so exciting ! im still waiting to hear back from them. do you mind sharing your stats?

just got it! feb 22nd at the phoenix campus! I wonder if you are interviewing for a spot at the campus you interview or if its just a way to break the applicants up. good luck!

edit: never mind about the last part lol...too excited I didn't read the whole email

I haven't received anything from them yet. Hopefully they are sending out multiple rounds of emails.