NAU Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an e-mail at 6:35 PM inviting me for an interview at the Flagstaff campus on February 23rd at 7:30 AM (and optional tour of the Phoenix campus the day before). Congratulations to all those who've been offered interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I received an e-mail at 6:35 PM inviting me for an interview at the Flagstaff campus on February 23rd at 7:30 AM (and optional tour of the Phoenix campus the day before). Congratulations to all those who've been offered interviews!

Yikes....7:30 lol. Glad mine is at 10 to say the least! Good luck

Got my invite! Feb 23 at 7:30am in Phoenix, with optional tour of Flagstaff campus on Feb 22!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats !!! thats so exciting ! im still waiting to hear back from them. do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi WeaverEL

Here are my basic statistics.

cGPA: 3.83 (PTCAS) prGPA: 3.59 GRE: 158 (580) V | 158 (740) Q | 5.0 AW

I am also an Arizona resident.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congratulations Okramango! My interview will be in Flagstaff. Good luck at your interview!

Just got my email as well! Interviewing in Phoenix at 7:30 am on Saturday. The email says "not necessarily" the campus you will be attending if accepted which leads me to believe that it's still more than likely if you get accepted you'll be at the one you interviewed at. I put Flagstaff as my preference, not sure how I feel about Phoenix. Anyone else have any thoughts on the two campuses?

Just got my email as well! Interviewing in Phoenix at 7:30 am on Saturday. The email says "not necessarily" the campus you will be attending if accepted which leads me to believe that it's still more than likely if you get accepted you'll be at the one you interviewed at. I put Flagstaff as my preference, not sure how I feel about Phoenix. Anyone else have any thoughts on the two campuses?

I believe I put Flag as well, but I've heard great things about the Phx campus. It's brand new and state of the art, can't be that bad! Plus, I can still live with my parents which will save me a significant amount of money. On the other hand, it would be nice to get away from Phx and experience a different atmosphere. I just want NAU though :)

I live next to the Phoenix campus. It is brand new and state of the art. They say that the Phoenix campus is more "medical" because the PT students share the building with MD and PA students. Also the Phoenix students dissect human cadavers and I believe that the Flagstaff students do not. The Phoenix campus is also in the middle of Downtown Phoenix next to many cultural and sports facilities. The Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks play within a mile of the campus. Also the famous Heard Museum is nearby.

My preference was Phoenix but my interview is in Flagstaff. Either school would be great for me though! My guess is that the interviewers will rank all of the applicants and then let the top 40-50 applicants choose where they want to go and then place the rest of the admitted students in remaining campus.

Congratulations Okramango! My interview will be in Flagstaff. Good luck at your interview!

Thanks BikeHikeSwim! I'm hoping to get accepted to the Flagstaff campus, so it's too bad my interview is in Phoenix.

Congrats everybody who got it. I still haven't received anything which I assume means I'm not in. Good luck to you all and go kill it in the interviews.

I live next to the Phoenix campus. It is brand new and state of the art. They say that the Phoenix campus is more "medical" because the PT students share the building with MD and PA students. Also the Phoenix students dissect human cadavers and I believe that the Flagstaff students do not. The Phoenix campus is also in the middle of Downtown Phoenix next to many cultural and sports facilities. The Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks play within a mile of the campus. Also the famous Heard Museum is nearby.

My preference was Phoenix but my interview is in Flagstaff. Either school would be great for me though! My guess is that the interviewers will rank all of the applicants and then let the top 40-50 applicants choose where they want to go and then place the rest of the admitted students in remaining campus.

Students at the Flagstaff campus do indeed dissect human cadavers. Good luck with the interview!

Thanks BikeHikeSwim! I'm hoping to get accepted to the Flagstaff campus, so it's too bad my interview is in Phoenix.

Your welcome Okramango. I am going to call tomorrow to see if interview location has any influence at all on acceptance location. As stated earlier in the discussion board, "The campus where you interview is not necessarily the campus you attend if accepted." Not necessarily seems fairly vague to me though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your welcome Okramango. I am going to call tomorrow to see if interview location has any influence at all on acceptance location. As stated earlier in the discussion board, "The campus where you interview is not necessarily the campus you attend if accepted." Not necessarily seems fairly vague to me though.
Please let us know what they say about interview location!

Hey guys! Man, I haven't been on these forums in a minute, PT school keeps you hella busy, ha ha. Congrats to everyone who got interview emails!

I'm currently a first-year student at the NAU Flagstaff campus -- one semester down, three to go (our 3rd year is all clinicals)!

I'm from Los Angeles, and although I find myself missing home at times, I ABSOLUTELY love this program. I was on the fence about NAU and another program initially, but I could tell quite quickly that I 100% picked the right program for me.

One thing I wanna clarify is that WHERE YOU INTERVIEW HAS NO BEARING ON WHERE YOU WILL GO IF ADMITTED -- this is straight from the chair of the admissions committee. Applicants were randomly assigned to interview locations.

I just looked at the NAU website, and it sounds like you need to know by interview day where you would PREFER to go. Since PHX wasn't approved yet when we interviewed last year, we were only asked about our preference AFTER we were admitted, so the procedure is different this year. Double check with Alicia about this, since I only got this info from the website.

So for those who are interviewing in the location that is not their preference, definitely check out the "other" campus before interview day!

As far as interview scheduling goes, last year it was 3 interviews (each with a different person) lasting 30 minutes each, so be prepared to talk about yourself for 1.5 hours. :) I interviewed with one professor and two PTs, but I did hear about some applicants getting 2 professors and 1 PT. There was also some informational presentation stuff and a student Q&A panel. Don't know if they're doing it differently this year.

Each interview was fairly straightforward, and it was clear that my interviewers had read my application. My most left-field questions were "what crayola crayon color are you?" and "what song are you?" but other than that, nothing too random. :p

If anyone has further questions, I'll try to check this thread as time permits. This is the first week of class for us, and I'm going to CSM in San Diego next week, so time is a bit crunched at the moment, but I'll do my best. If a question can also be answered by Alicia, definitely ask her and post the reply to the board so she's not bombarded.

Good luck to everyone, and again, congrats! :)

Each interview was fairly straightforward, and it was clear that my interviewers had read my application. My most left-field questions were "what crayola crayon color are you?" and "what song are you?" but other than that, nothing too random. :p

Thanks for the great info!! Guess I better start thinking about what cereal or cartoon character I am :p. I guess any answer is ok as long as you justify it logically? Just curious, what song did you say? lol, if I randomly got asked that I would have a deer in the headlights look.

Hey guys! Man, I haven't been on these forums in a minute, PT school keeps you hella busy, ha ha. Congrats to everyone who got interview emails!

I'm currently a first-year student at the NAU Flagstaff campus -- one semester down, three to go (our 3rd year is all clinicals)!

I'm from Los Angeles, and although I find myself missing home at times, I ABSOLUTELY love this program. I was on the fence about NAU and another program initially, but I could tell quite quickly that I 100% picked the right program for me.

One thing I wanna clarify is that WHERE YOU INTERVIEW HAS NO BEARING ON WHERE YOU WILL GO IF ADMITTED -- this is straight from the chair of the admissions committee. Applicants were randomly assigned to interview locations.

I just looked at the NAU website, and it sounds like you need to know by interview day where you would PREFER to go. Since PHX wasn't approved yet when we interviewed last year, we were only asked about our preference AFTER we were admitted, so the procedure is different this year. Double check with Alicia about this, since I only got this info from the website.

So for those who are interviewing in the location that is not their preference, definitely check out the "other" campus before interview day!

As far as interview scheduling goes, last year it was 3 interviews (each with a different person) lasting 30 minutes each, so be prepared to talk about yourself for 1.5 hours. :) I interviewed with one professor and two PTs, but I did hear about some applicants getting 2 professors and 1 PT. There was also some informational presentation stuff and a student Q&A panel. Don't know if they're doing it differently this year.

If anyone has further questions, I'll try to check this thread as time permits. This is the first week of class for us, and I'm going to CSM in San Diego next week, so time is a bit crunched at the moment, but I'll do my best. If a question can also be answered by Alicia, definitely ask her and post the reply to the board so she's not bombarded.

Good luck to everyone, and again, congrats! :)

Thank you optionpaloma. It is good to know that where one interviews has no effect on the school that one eventually attends if admitted. The interview information was also quite helpful. :)

Just got the email, interviewing at Phoenix on Feb 23rd at 7:30am with the optional tour the day before

Flying down from Whistler, BC and so excited to see the campus in person! see you all there bright and early!!

oh sweet!! got the email today as well. im on feb 23! early at 7:30 phoenix

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info!! Guess I better start thinking about what cereal or cartoon character I am :p. I guess any answer is ok as long as you justify it logically? Just curious, what song did you say? lol, if I randomly got asked that I would have a deer in the headlights look.

Oh, I totally did the deer-in-headlights thing with the song question -- in my head, was thinking "are you kidding me?" but what came outta my mouth was "Hmm, let me think about that one for a sec..." Think I came up with "Nessum dorma" from Puccini's Turandot. It's played-out and don't know if it's really "me," but it's a song I really like and could relate to at the time. Lucky for me, my interviewer wasn't familiar with opera, so I could've gone anywhere with the explanation. :p

For these types of questions in this situation (a job interview may be different), I'd say it's less about displaying logic than about showing your interests and personality. Lotsa applicants give similar answers to the standard questions -- think of these questions as a way to stand out. :)

One more thing I remember -- maybe they already told you this in the interview letter, but there will be Flag students in Phoenix for the student panel, and vice versa. Still be sure to visit the campus you'd rather attend before interview day, but there will be students from both campuses in both locations to answer questions on both days.

So if we didn't get an email today does that mean we are not going to be invited? Would more of you who were invited for an interview mind sharing your stats? Good luck and congratulations to everyone who was granted an interview.

I'm going to downtown Feb 22nd at 10AM! See you there!
GPA 3.96/4.0 GRE 159/162/4.0
2000 hours (8 snf rest outpt)

So excited! I'm definitely going to be touring Flagstaff the day after or sometime soon after to see the difference.

I'm going to downtown Feb 22nd at 10AM! See you there!
GPA 3.96/4.0 GRE 159/162/4.0
2000 hours (8 snf rest outpt)

So excited! I'm definitely going to be touring Flagstaff the day after or sometime soon after to see the difference.

finally someone interviewing at the same time! I was seeing all these 7:30's and I was like where the 10:00's at?1 lol

cgpa: 3.62
pre req: 3.58
gre: 149 v, 153 q, 4
~ 110 hours: ped inpatient, general outpatient, sports focused outpatient

So if we didn't get an email today does that mean we are not going to be invited? Would more of you who were invited for an interview mind sharing your stats? Good luck and congratulations to everyone who was granted an interview.

I'm wondering also. Does anyone know if all of the interview offers were sent out in one batch yesterday or are there more invites to come. Congratulations to those of you who have received an interview !

Last edited:
I'm wondering also. Does anyone know if all of the interview offers were sent out in one batch yesterday or are there more invites to come. Congratulations to those of you who have received an interview !

I would call someone in the department. I know a bunch of us received the email at different times last night, not sure if there are more to come. Good luck and don't lose hope!

Does anyone know how many people are being interviewed this year? It would also be interesting to know how many in state and out of state people will be interviewed.

Does anyone know how many people are being interviewed this year? It would also be interesting to know how many in state and out of state people will be interviewed.

I heard in class today ~200 were invited to interview. There were 48 spots for Flag and 24 for Phoenix this year -- Phoenix might have more seats (30+?) next year, but not 100% sure about this. I'm pretty sure the Flag cohort will remain at 48.

Don't know how the in-state/OOS numbers break down, but most incoming students tend to be AZ residents.

I haven't received anything from NAU yet. I called today and the woman I spoke with couldn't tell me anything... So I guess I'll wait on the e-mail and call back Monday if I don't receive it.

As of today, they won't tell you anything over the phone.

Don't know how the in-state/OOS numbers break down, but most incoming students tend to be AZ residents.

When I spoke with NAU over the summer, they told me they are required to have a strong preference for in-state students. The average numbers for those accepted were way higher for those that were out-of-state than those in-state.

For those of us out-of-staters: unless you're a pretty stellar applicant, I wouldn't get your hopes up. :(

Is there anyone who has a Saturday interview at the Phoenix Campus that would prefer/willing to switch to Friday at 7:30?? Please message me.

When I spoke with NAU over the summer, they told me they are required to have a strong preference for in-state students. The average numbers for those accepted were way higher for those that were out-of-state than those in-state.

For those of us out-of-staters: unless you're a pretty stellar applicant, I wouldn't get your hopes up. :(

So disappointed, I really wanted to move to Flagstaff, but I am an out-of-stateer so I guess not. Did anyone who doesn't live in AZ get an interview?

The email I got from them said they interview on March 2nd and 3rd. It's wishful thinking but maybe they do all their in-state interviews first then fill the remaining spaces with out-of-state folks?

So disappointed, I really wanted to move to Flagstaff, but I am an out-of-stateer so I guess not. Did anyone who doesn't live in AZ get an interview?

The email I got from them said they interview on March 2nd and 3rd. It's wishful thinking but maybe they do all their in-state interviews first then fill the remaining spaces with out-of-state folks?

Yeah I was confused with the March dates as well, but it looks like they are Feb 22/23. From reading prior threads on NAU it looks like they interview instaters one day then out of staters the next. I could be wrong though. Don't lose hope, some people may decline their interviews!

Could anyone who applied out-of-state that gets an interview post your stats please?

Could anyone who applied out-of-state that gets an interview post your stats please?

GPA: 3.94
GRE: 152 verbal, 156 qu., 4.0 writing
Hours: about 120 in 3 settings

But I assume a lot of other information went into the decisions for invitations... (essays, non PT volunteer hours, work loads throughout academia (being an athlete), so on...)

I'm from out of state and got an interview. My stats are on page 1 of this thread.

GPA: 3.94
GRE: 152 verbal, 156 qu., 4.0 writing
Hours: about 120 in 3 settings

But I assume a lot of other information went into the decisions for invitations... (essays, non PT volunteer hours, work loads throughout academia (being an athlete), so on...)

Congrats on your interview! Acceptances are based on overall application, but it says on their website that interview invitations are based on overall GPA and GRE scores only. If that's true, I'm trying to get an idea of what a competitive GPA and GRE score is for non-residents. I'm sure it's higher than the averages for all students.

I'm out of state as well.

Stats:
GPA: 3.98
GRE: V. 159 Q. 157 Writing: 4.5
150 hours shadowing
Also doing lab work under a research grant in neurobiology

If anyone else is interested in out-of-state stats, I emailed NAU and they told me these were the averages for out-of-state students who were offered interviews this cycle...

GPA: 3.75
GRE: quant 156, verbal 157, aw 4.5

They invited 144 non-residents to interview.

If anyone else is interested in out-of-state stats, I emailed NAU and they told me these were the averages for out-of-state students who were offered interviews this cycle...

GPA: 3.75
GRE: quant 156, verbal 157, aw 4.5

They invited 144 non-residents to interview.

Hi MFS6,

Thanks for the information. Did they tell you what the average GRE and GPA values were for in-state applicants? Also did they say how many in-state applicants were invited to interview?

Thanks!

Hi MFS6,

Thanks for the information. Did they tell you what the average GRE and GPA values were for in-state applicants? Also did they say how many in-state applicants were invited to interview?

Thanks!

I'm interested in this too. Someone from the current class above stated they were inviting 200 to interview...so only 56 in state applicants were invited to interview?? If true, I figured it would have been opposite since they favor in state.

I agree. I find it odd that they'd invite 144 OOS. Unless they plan on accepting all IS. In which case I'm excited.

I agree. I find it odd that they'd invite 144 OOS. Unless they plan on accepting all IS. In which case I'm excited.

Hm I didn't think of it that way...accepting all in state and fill the rest of the class with out of state. Hopefully that is true, because then the only way an instate won't get accepted is if they completely bomb the interview.

Hi MFS6,

Thanks!

I didn't ask about in-state averages, but they did say they invited 106 arizona residents to interview. They said it was an extremely competitive year.

I didn't ask about in-state averages, but they did say they invited 106 arizona residents to interview. They said it was an extremely competitive year.

Ah ok. Still odd they asked more out of staters. Did they happen to mention if they are expanding the number of seats available at the PHX campus??

Ah ok. Still odd they asked more out of staters. Did they happen to mention if they are expanding the number of seats available at the PHX campus??

No they didn't....the email I sent them was pretty simple, and their response was short. I didn't even apply this year, just trying to get an idea of what my chances are for getting an interview next cycle as a non-resident. 3.75 is a pretty high overall GPA average!

Last years average acceptance GPA was a 3.52 cum and 3.55 science. It appears it's going to be tough to get in this year. Also interesting to note: only 150 from Arizona applied last year. If it's the same this year then they invited 2/3 of those from Arizona.

There are always a few students who don't accept the interview invite....so hang in there a couple more days.

I'm interested in this too. Someone from the current class above stated they were inviting 200 to interview...so only 56 in state applicants were invited to interview?? If true, I figured it would have been opposite since they favor in state.

wow 200 interviews, that's a lot more than they interviewed last year

Good luck to all those interviewing this cycle. Reading these postings brings back all my anxious memories from last year. I didn't have any questions about crayons or songs. :)

There are always a few students who don't accept the interview invite....so hang in there a couple more days.

I have my fingers crossed! I am from AZ and only applied to 2 schools (NAU and Midwestern). I am pretty disappointed I didn't get an invite from NAU as they were my #1 choice. I felt like I had put together a competitive application, plus I'm an AZ native so I thought I would have for sure gotten an interview. I worked my tail off and have good grades and strong gpa's to show for it. Ok sorry I'm rambling but thank you for the support and good luck!:)