NAU Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all those interviewing this cycle. Reading these postings brings back all my anxious memories from last year. I didn't have any questions about crayons or songs. :)

So I guess getting ridiculous questions depends on the luck of the draw as far as interviewers are concerned. Lol just my luck I will get asked what vegetable or fruit I would be. Do you happen to know how long we have to wait to hear after the interview if we've been accepted/denied/waitlisted??

Members don't see this ad.

I have my fingers crossed! I am from AZ and only applied to 2 schools (NAU and Midwestern). I am pretty disappointed I didn't get an invite from NAU as they were my #1 choice. I felt like I had put together a competitive application, plus I'm an AZ native so I thought I would have for sure gotten an interview. I worked my tail off and have good grades and strong gpa's to show for it. Ok sorry I'm rambling but thank you for the support and good luck!:)

Have you heard back from Midwestern? Had an interview back in October. Great looking school, especially the labs.

Have you heard back from Midwestern? Had an interview back in October. Great looking school, especially the labs.

I had an Interview on Feb. 22 scheduled but then I realized that date was the only day NAU has interviews so I rescheduled for March. If I get accepted I will attend but I am worried about taking on the debt the comes with Midwestern.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an Interview on Feb. 22 scheduled but then I realized that date was the only day NAU has interviews so I rescheduled for March. If I get accepted I will attend but I have two main concerns about Midwestern, The tuition and their current accreditation status. I am worried about taking on the debt that comes with Midwestern. When it's all said and done I want to feel like I made the right decision considering all aspects of pt school. I called and someone said they should become fully accredited by this summer, which I think they will given the fact that so many other medical programs are accredited there.

Yeah the tuition is a little high, but still lower than most private schools out there. I wouldn't worry whatsoever about accreditation. They have molded their curriculum after the program in Downer's Grove and that is a successful program. It's very rare that a school doesn't achieve accreditation once they've admitted a class. I believe that in the case that that even happens, they have an agreement with at still in mesa to take on the extra students.

I got an e-mail on the 16th inviting me to an interview!! I am also interviewing on the 22nd, but at the Phoenix campus! I am so excited! They are my first choice! Good luck to everyone!!

So I guess getting ridiculous questions depends on the luck of the draw as far as interviewers are concerned. Lol just my luck I will get asked what vegetable or fruit I would be. Do you happen to know how long we have to wait to hear after the interview if we've been accepted/denied/waitlisted??

After interviews, everyone gets ranked, so for my year (this was the weeks before PHX was approved), the first 48 applicants in the ranking received offers the Monday after interviews. This year, I'd think more applicants will get offers on the first day because PHX is up and running.

Perhaps the top waitlist students hear back that day too?

Since there are more interviews this year, I have no idea if they'll be as quick with their offers, but hopefully so!

Reading over these recent posts, sounds like my ~200 number was off by 50... 250 interviews, wow! Since interviews will also take place in PHX (not the case last year), I can see how this is doable.

And yes, whether or not you get any "ridiculous" questions is totally luck of the draw... my luck gave my 2 interviewers who chose to be more "creative" in their questioning, but most of my classmates had interviews that were not random at all.... just want y'all to be prepared just in case! Good luck!!! :)

Last edited:
After interviews, everyone gets ranked, so for my year (this was the weeks before PHX was approved), the first 48 applicants in the ranking received offers the Monday after interviews. This year, I'd think more applicants will get offers on the first day because PHX is up and running.

Perhaps the top waitlist students hear back that day too?

Since there are more interviews this year, I have no idea if they'll be as quick with their offers, but hopefully so!

Reading over these recent posts, sounds like my ~200 number was off by 50... 250 interviews, wow! Since interviews will also take place in PHX (not the case last year), I can see how this is doable.

And yes, whether or not you get any "ridiculous" questions is totally luck of the draw... my luck gave my 2 interviewers who chose to be more "creative" in their questioning, but most of my classmates had interviews that were not random at all.... just want y'all to be prepared just in case! Good luck!!! :)

Thanks for the info. Already getting super nervous and I still have a month to prepare haha.

I didn't even apply to this school, but I've gotta know what people have said or will say for the crayon, song, and vegetable questions.

I had a few out there interview questions for my adaptive ski instructor job...

My favorite one was "why are man hole covers round?"

or "If you were abducted by aliens and could be given any job what would you do/why?"

could someone give some examples of physical therapy related questions one might get in these interviews? Are they expecting us to be fairly familiar with current issues etc.?

Don't remember exactly, think it was pretty quick within the first week, then it was a waiting game and calling every couple weeks to see if I moved up. The apps that are offered a seat have maybe 2 wks to respond. I ended up 4th on the waiting list by the time NAU started school. Started as 48, then they opened the new program and dropped to 24.......so close

Don't remember exactly, think it was about 2 weeks, then it was a waiting game and calling every couple weeks to see if I moved up. The apps that are offered a seat have maybe 2 wks to respond. I ended up 4th on the waiting list by the time NAU started school. Started as 48, then they opened the new program and dropped to 24.......so close

haha yeah that sounds standard. Someone above stated they heard in a few days and I thought that was pretty fast! I'm actually curious at what an above poster asked...do you remember being asked anything about vision 2020, etc??

I have an interview Saturday Feb 23rd at 7:30am!
Yay! I'm so very excited. I'm coming from out-of-state and can't wait to spend a weekend in the beautiful Flagstaff area!
Do you guys know, do they really only interview 150 and take 75 students? So we all have 50% shots at a slot?!

Smiles and congrats to all you who got interviews too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned down my interview invite to NAU. Hopefully this helps someone out!

I just turned down my interview invite to NAU. Hopefully this helps someone out!

ballsy move putting all your eggs in one basket! I would definitely be a nervous wreck lol. good luck to you.

Thanks, guys. Hopefully I hear back in two week's time.

haha yeah that sounds standard. Someone above stated they heard in a few days and I thought that was pretty fast! I'm actually curious at what an above poster asked...do you remember being asked anything about vision 2020, etc??

I didn't get any professional questions from NAU........it was very relaxed, discussed ME...and the LOR comments, had a chance to ask questions. Make sure you have some intell. questions prepared to ask.....nothing obvious that is already on line/ptcas/etc.

Good luck to all that have interviews.

Nailey good luck w/ Baylor....they are very tough to get into ............ and when you do get in..........thank you for your future service to our country. Your stats are great!!! Can't imagine not having a plan B.

I contacted NAU today with some questions about the composition of everyone who will be interviewing at NAU.

They invited 105 students from Arizona to interview. They also invited 132 out of state applicants. In total they invited 237 people to interview. 216 people accepted the invitation. This means that 21 people declined the interview invite.

They also provided me with the averages for in-state applicants this year.

QGRE: 153.36
VGRE: 154.6
AW: 4.1
GPA: 3.585

I contacted NAU today with some questions about the composition of everyone who will be interviewing at NAU.

They invited 105 students from Arizona to interview. They also invited 132 out of state applicants. In total they invited 237 people to interview. 216 people accepted the invitation. This means that 21 people declined the interview invite.

They also provided me with the averages for in-state applicants this year.

QGRE: 153.36
VGRE: 154.6
AW: 4.1
GPA: 3.585

it's still interesting to me that they invited more out of state applicants. getting really nervous...only a little over a week away! thanks for the info

it's still interesting to me that they invited more out of state applicants. getting really nervous...only a little over a week away! thanks for the info

It is interesting that they do this. I'm wondering if they invite everyone who meets a certain GPA / GRE . Instate applicants may have a lower standard than out of state. Since the number of out of state applicants is far greater than instate more are invited to interview, even though strong preference is given to AZ residents. This would mean if you're a resident and are invited to interview, you would have much better odds than non residents.

It is interesting that they do this. I'm wondering if they invite everyone who meets a certain GPA / GRE . Instate applicants may have a lower standard than out of state. Since the number of out of state applicants is far greater than instate more are invited to interview, even though strong preference is given to AZ residents. This would mean if you're a resident and are invited to interview, you would have much better odds than non residents.

hm i'm not sure. I match up almost exactly with the info that the above poster provided except for that stupid vgre lol. But yea it would definitely be tougher getting in for an out of state student.

I am flying in from out of town... What is the easiest way to get from the airport to the school? Does anyone have any good hotel recommendations/activities? Im flying in from Whistler, BC and am in town for 3 nights

If you're flying into Phoenix and interviewing in Flag, then your options are to rent a car and drive, or there is a shuttle that runs back and forth. But it's about 150 miles north or 2.5hours away from Phoenix. Renting a car would be fun because then you could stop in Sedona and spend a little time. It's beautiful!

If you're flying into Flag, then you'll just have to call a cab to take to your hotel. If you're staying downtown or near the University you can literally walk everywhere. You can also walk downtown to hang out, eat, etc. The downtown area is very cute and fun.

Someone else can chime in about Phoenix. I'm not super familiar with the area the campus is in.

Sorry I should have clarified, applied to flagstaff campus interviewing at the Phoenix campus

I might rent a car to check out the other campus but the trip already is expensive

from sky harbor airport? take the light rail (cheap, look up valley metro website) or a cab (easy).

from sky harbor airport? take the light rail (cheap, look up valley metro website) or a cab (easy).

ditto on the light rail. you should be able to locate a hotel along the rout as well. campus is downtown phx.

I live in Downtown Phoenix. I would wholeheartedly recommend the light rail. There are many hotels in Downtown Phoenix that are within blocks from the NAU/U of A downtown medical campus. The campus is about a 5-10 minute walk from the light rail. A light rail ride costs about $1.50 from the airport to Downtown Phoenix.

I also called NAU today. They said that starting in August NAU's PT program will be accepting 78 students. 48 students in Flagstaff and 30 students in Phoenix.

I wasn't asked anything regarding PT...it was all about my LORs, my experiences, my essay, personal stories, they shared a couple stories about themselves if it was related....they just wanted to get to know me, and see how I fit. At least that was my perception. One was a reg. program professor the other 2 were adjunct who also had clinics in the area. They are looking for students who will be goo PTs, not just good students.

All those interviewing: please have a safe drive up to Flag and in Flag....lots of snow and more expected today......allow extra time for travel. Have a fun interview and visit in Flag.

At the NAU interview today, one of my interviewers mentioned that they had over 1100 applicants this cycle! She said those of us interviewing were considered "the cream of the cream." Also, they said that all decisions would be made by this Sunday night, and that we will definitely be notified by this Wednesday at the latest. Good luck everyone!

At the NAU interview today, one of my interviewers mentioned that they had over 1100 applicants this cycle! She said those of us interviewing were considered "the cream of the cream." Also, they said that all decisions would be made by this Sunday night, and that we will definitely be notified by this Wednesday at the latest. Good luck everyone!

Were you at 730 or 10?? I really enjoyed the interview, it was definitely the most relaxed of the ones I've been at. Although, some people in my group got wacky questions lol. Better them than me ;)

Were you at 730 or 10?? I really enjoyed the interview, it was definitely the most relaxed of the ones I've been at. Although, some people in my group got wacky questions lol. Better them than me ;)

I was at 10am, in Flagstaff. I originally was going to interview in Phoenix, but was able to get the location switched. My interviews were mostly relaxed, too, and I really enjoyed meeting the faculty and community PTs. They are so dedicated and passionate.

I was at 10am, in Flagstaff. I originally was going to interview in Phoenix, but was able to get the location switched. My interviews were mostly relaxed, too, and I really enjoyed meeting the faculty and community PTs. They are so dedicated and passionate.

I got that feeling too. I'm anxious for the decisions. How did you like the facilities in Flag?

I got that feeling too. I'm anxious for the decisions. How did you like the facilities in Flag?

The Flag facilities are very basic. The building has been there since before the PT program began (in 1980?). The facilities themselves are definitely not the strong point for the Flag campus, but the quality of faculty and students really make up for that! The campus itself is also very beautiful (although most of it is covered in snow right now).

The Flag facilities are very basic. The building has been there since before the PT program began (in 1980?). The facilities themselves are definitely not the strong point for the Flag campus, but the quality of faculty and students really make up for that! The campus itself is also very beautiful (although most of it is covered in snow right now).

Yeah that's what I heard. The facilities in Phx are absolutely amazing. I guess there's trade offs to each one.

Just flew into Phoenix and am crashing at one of the hotels down the street from the campus/airport see ya guys bright and early tomorrow!

I went on the optional tour of the Phoenix campus this morning. The first year students who led us on the tour stated that we should receive an email from NAU by Monday. Dr. Cornwall told us in Flagstaff that we should receive an email of acceptance/denial/wait-list by Wednesday at the latest.

Good luck everyone!

I went on the optional tour of the Phoenix campus this morning. The first year students who led us on the tour stated that we should receive an email from NAU by Monday. Dr. Cornwall told us in Flagstaff that we should receive an email of acceptance/denial/wait-list by Wednesday at the latest.

Good luck everyone!

Hey BikeHikeSwim, I was at that optional tour of the Phoenix campus this morning, too! I might have been in a different group than you, because I don't remember anyone saying that, and we only had one student leading our tour.

Yeah my group was primarily led by a female first year student but another student joined the tour about halfway through. She told us that we could expect to receive it by Monday but I heard from Dr. Cornwall that we could expect it by Wednesday at the latest. Either way we will know soon!

Yeah my group was primarily led by a female first year student but another student joined the tour about halfway through. She told us that we could expect to receive it by Monday but I heard from Dr. Cornwall that we could expect it by Wednesday at the latest. Either way we will know soon!

It's great that we'll get an answer so soon, but tomorrow feels so far away right now! What time was your Friday interview in Flag? Mine was at 10am. Maybe we were in the same group?

Also, what was your impression of the Phoenix program? It was hard for me to tell much about it just talking with one student. Clearly the facilities were new and nice, but I didn't get a sense of the "culture" of the program, and don't know anything about the faculty there.

From what I saw it was all very top notch. They seem to not just be taking random teachers from all over but recruiting the best. The students seemed impressed by their instructors and the whole program really. There was nothing I could tell that was missing, really. They said they're all good friends and there are carpool groups for several of them who come in from another part of town.
their building is open until 1:30 AM and they'll be extending it next year because people like to stay there late and study. Not my thing, but I guess I'm not that desperate yet. It just shows that they are always there.
The reason the Phoenix campus is SO extremely high tech is because the state of Arizona noticed a lack of medical professionals and paid for 90% of the cost. Since NAU was only paying 10% they got the best of the best, and not just something that was nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Okramango,

My interview in Flagstaff was at 1pm. I agree with you it is hard to get a sense of the culture of the Phoenix program. It seems to me that both institutions will effectively prepare students to become wonderful physical therapists. Most of the faculty stayed in Flagstaff. I have talked to one of the Phoenix faculty members in person. I also talked to Arron in Phoenix as well as two other Phoenix faculty via email. All of them were very approachable and kind.

Did you go to the Flagstaff student panel? In the afternoon session they had students from Flagstaff and Phoenix. One of the Phoenix students pointed out one key difference. He said that the students in Phoenix live all throughout the valley while the Flagstaff students live much closer to each other. He also said that many of the students at the Phoenix campus had families already. Also the Phoenix campus has more of an emphasis on gross anatomy while Flagstaff had one more unit on functional anatomy. Cost of living in Phoenix is also less than Flagstaff while crime rates in Phoenix are higher than Flagstaff. The culture of the program seems to be evolving day to day since it is such a new program.

That is all I have heard about the Phoenix program. I hope that was useful!

Thanks kptnau and BikeHikeSwim! That definitely gives more of a sense of the Phoenix program. I chose Flagstaff as my preference because it was more established (and I just like Flagstaff more than Phoenix in general). But it sounds like they've put together a great program in Phoenix as well. I think I was at an earlier student panel than you BikeHikeSwim, but they did have a couple of Phoenix students at mine too.

Hey kptnau, you're the only other person I've seen who applied both to NAU and a Texas school! I saw you were accepted to UTMB - congrats! Any idea yet where you'll attend if accepted to NAU? I'm pretty torn between NAU and TWU.

Good luck everyone! Hope we hear back today! :luck: