NAVLE DEC 2019 TEST SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all who passed!!!!
I failed. Got 385 points, so let's do it again in April- LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
And so far, I have not received any email in my account saying that I have my report ready but I already know the result.

No email yet. But I logged on and PASSED!! Almost had a heart attack logging in. Lol

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I PASSED!!!! CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Passed as well!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I passed! Thanks for everyone keeping me company going though this nerve wrecking situation together.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Passssssssssss :clap:

Nothing is quicker than the speed of exam scores around a teaching hospital~

• Love
Now I need to figure out how the heck to sign up for CA boards

Reactions: 4 users
I passsed !!!!! Yayyyyy! Congrats everyone ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I want to say my practice exam grade was spot on! For any people who are wondering next year! I the practice after doing about 60% of Zuku only studying

Reactions: 2 users
Passed! Thank you guys so much for this forum, because of it I was able to pass along the news of the NAVLE scores to my class before the emails were even sent out :)

• Love
Now I need to figure out how the heck to sign up for CA boards

the CA boards are the primary reason I didn't want to do an internship in LA, despite loving the city and having lots of friends down there :'( maybe I'll eventually make my way down there someday, but it didn't seem worth it for one year...

Congratulations everyone! Good luck in your career as veterinarians :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who passed!
And for future test takers I highly recommend taking he NAVLE self assessment was spot on for what my score would be range wise as well. I took 3 throughout my studying just to make sure I stayed above passing/was actually improving with studying.

Reactions: 5 users
If anyone needs to feel better about their experience, just know that I got the stomach flu during the NAVLE. It started during the third of six sections. I did still manage to finish the exam with a garbage can in hand.

I'm not sure how the chips will fall for me this test. I will be upset if I have to take it again, but mostly because I don't have a spare $700 laying around. I'm trying to stay positive and hope that I'll still pass despite being incredibly distracted through that whole second half.

Anyway, if you weren't puking through your exam into the night then I'd say you're already in a better position to pass! I hope you get a good chuckle out of this as I do now (even though there may have been tears the day of) and good luck to everyone!!! We got this!

Update: PASSED! Congrats and Good Luck to everyone!!!!

• Love
And for future test takers I highly recommend taking he NAVLE self assessment was spot on for what my score would be range wise as well. I took 3 throughout my studying just to make sure I stayed above passing/was actually improving with studying.
I actually found the practice to be very disappointing, with outdated info and inability to go back over the questions or see an answer key. It's $50 for a test that costs nearly nothing to administer and which was from I believe 2006 for the one I took. I would request that the ICVA update these. Still helpful, but absolutely unreasonably priced for what is offered. My score was significantly different as well, but I did study much more after taking it.

Reactions: 1 user
Passed!!! I actually scored higher than my predicted scores from the 3 practice exams I did if that gives anyone hope :laugh:

• Love
See I took the #1 practice test In September and it projected me to fail like ten points under passing. I took #2 two days before the navle and it predicted me to fail, and my score was worse than back in September. So I have been going all this time thinking it could go either way bc I’d be borderline. Turns out I passed and was within one std dev of the mean (so now at average, 66 points above passing). So idk how accurate those things are. I spent the last two weeks on vacation hardcore cranking my zuku and finished at 38% or so. Was okayish on there. Missed about half but started getting better right before getting 70-80% right. So I was confused why it projected me to fail the navle unless it was a harder test and I was so stressed. Also, statistically people ranked lower In your class (according to my school) don’t do as well but I beat those odds, I was ranked 82/89. I don’t think I’m not smart, I had my personal issues during my time in vet school and I still did well. We also have smart people in my class. But Either way just Telling my story to let other future navle takers know that it’s still possible!

Last edited:
Just info for people next year

Nov-Dec 2019 Exam Period
- Last exam date: Dec 13, 2019
- Score release date: Jan 22, 2020, at ~10am Pacific Time (2 days after MLK day)

Reactions: 4 users
I actually found the practice to be very disappointing, with outdated info and inability to go back over the questions or see an answer key. It's $50 for a test that costs nearly nothing to administer and which was from I believe 2006 for the one I took. I would request that the ICVA update these. Still helpful, but absolutely unreasonably priced for what is offered. My score was significantly different as well, but I did study much more after taking it.
Yea I agree that the no answer key and not knowing what you got wrong kind of sucks. But I used them more to see what categories were my weakest and if I could get better. I know a few people that it projected they wouldn't pass or were borderline and still passed but I think it depends how much you study after or what you choose to focus on.

Just info for people next year

Nov-Dec 2019 Exam Period
- Last exam date: Dec 13, 2019
- Score release date: Jan 22, 2020, at ~10am Pacific Time (2 days after MLK day)

I received a text alert at 10 PST but didn't get an official email until 12:30 PST.

Congratulations to all who passed!!!!
I failed. Got 385 points, so let's do it again in April- LOL.
Hey girl, YOU DID GREAT! You'll be more prepared for the 2nd time and rock it! It happens every year and doesn't mean a friggin thing in relation to your competence as a vet and overall intelligence :)

PASSED! Thank goodness :soexcited:In terms of the ICVA practice exams, I was glad I took it and do feel they're valid. I only took one and it predicted that I would pass by a relatively small margin, then my actual score was about 100 points above that so technically it wasn't accurate (I tend to take tests well I guess), but it seems to be accurate for most people.

• Love
Anybody else still not receive an official email? I have gotten just the text. Granted, according to the site I passed but.... it seems odd?

Also I want to say my practice exam grade was spot on! For any people who are wondering next year! I the practice after doing about 60% of Zuku only studying
Ya know, I scored over 100 points more on the NAVLE than I did on the practice exam. I took it about a month early and used the time after to student the things I was lacking from the practice test. Take all of them, super helpful!

Hey girl, YOU DID GREAT! You'll be more prepared for the 2nd time and rock it! It happens every year and doesn't mean a friggin thing in relation to your competence as a vet and overall intelligence :)

Thank you :) It seems so far that I am the only one who failed here! - LOL. I will kick its ass second time, it was worth the experience :) and I know this test does not define me as I am already a veterinarian in my birth country...but I am not good in taking tests. I did the mock test and it did predict that I was going to fail, so that was spot on...and a good indicator. I already did ZUKU and VETPREP for my BCSE (passing score for that was 580 and I did it) so I am unsure now which one to enroll again as I liked both. I am just happy for everybody else!!!!! Yeah!!!! You guys are going to love working as a vet...first day on the job is unforgettable!!!! All the very best!!!

• Love
Anybody else still not receive an official email? I have gotten just the text. Granted, according to the site I passed but.... it seems odd?

No email at all. I got a test message giving me my log in details (that I already knew), but I found out from here that the scores were up. Text message came like 30 minutes after.

I think something is wrong with the university email because I also haven’t received an email or ANY email since about 10 am today.

Hi everyone,
I am new in this forum. It was my 3 rd Navle attempt but again failed. Now I have resultophobia. Checking again and again my result and find same word “FAIL” . I am now blank where is the problem. Whether it’s my luck or my wrong studying strategy. What to do?

Hi everyone,
I am new in this forum. It was my 3 rd Navle attempt but again failed. Now I have resultophobia. Checking again and again my result and find same word “FAIL” . I am now blank where is the problem. Whether it’s my luck or my wrong studying strategy. What to do?

The way I studied is by completing 50% of vet prep and also studied off of an 80 page NAVLE study guide we received from an intern here that I could send you! I went through the study guide twice thoroughly.

I hope this helps someone in the future - my studying strategy was:

6 months of VetPrep but I really worked on it the most in the last 3 months before NAVLE and got to 80%
1 ICVA NAVLE practice test that I purchased - it was pretty accurate at predicting my score, but I wondered if I should have done 1 or 2 more
I did two separate days of VetPrep practice tests over the same time length and the same amount of questions as the NAVLE as a "mock" NAVLE exam
I did all VetPrep practice questions as random so that I could get used to having a variety of species questions instead of studying one species at a time
I went through the ICVA NAVLE Species and Diagnoses 33 page document so I was at least familiar with all the names (listed under NAVLE Subject Matter: NAVLE | ICVA )
I also liked reading the diseases on the Merck Veterinary Manual website: Merck Veterinary Manual
I got a lot of rest the two days before, ate as healthy as I could for several weeks before

When I took the test:
I completed the tutorial
I covered up all the answers and read the entire question and tried to come up with my own answer and then read every answer listed and eliminated all the ones I thought were incorrect by crossing them out digitally
I got up and left the room for as many breaks as I could to keep myself fresh and packed snacks and water

I did surprisingly well and thought I failed it so don't be surprised if you don't feel good about the test after you write it.
If you need to take it a second time, then this was my plan:
-Do the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) NAVLE review and preparation course
-Work through the book "NAVLE secrets study guide: your key to exam success: NAVLE test review for the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination"
-Read "Saunders comprehensive review for NAVLE" by Patricia Schenck
-Contact Matt Holland - he offers support for people retaking the NAVLE - can find him on Facebook or by email: [email protected]
-Contact Jennifer Quammen and Ryan Smith on Facebook (Veterinarian Coaching)

Best of luck to all those that take and have to re-take it - it requires a lot of memorization of many diseases and the skills to do a multiple choice exam. It may be worth it to contact a company that can help you with taking multiple choice exams if you're re-taking it. Don't let anyone stop your dreams and keep going.

The way I studied is by completing 50% of vet prep and also studied off of an 80 page NAVLE study guide we received from an intern here that I could send you! I went through the study guide twice thoroughly.

Can you share that study guide to me as well, pls?

Thanks for ur reply. Can u please send me navle study guide.
[email protected]

Similar to erecc123 above:
- Started VetPrep (regular version, didn't think I had time for Premium) September 1st
- Did all the practice questions (all random) until completion; in hindsight I would've left maybe 250 or 500 questions so I could study them on random rotations and not have to commit to a timed test
- Did all the timed tests, most of the time they were 60-question tests and I would try my best to be as "test-mode" as possible.
- Saved maybe two days worth of timed tests for a few days before the actual NAVLE so I could do them back to back and emulate test conditions
- Did all the "free" ICVA questions, I think there's 60 or 80 for free and then maybe 10-20 for free if you do their tutorial.
- Bought two ICVA practice tests, did one ~3 weeks before the NAVLE, one ~1 week before the NAVLE
- Ate healthy, maintained similar day-to-day as much as possible, leading up to the NAVLE. Still worked out, went out for walks and stuff, etc. Day before I didn't study at all, watched Netflix and went out for dinner with some non-vet friends
- Day of, I skipped the tutorial since I did it beforehand on the ICVA website. Did two sections, took a medium-ish break and ate some snacks, then I did one section, one short break, one section, one break, etc. then yeet'd out of there.

Reactions: 1 users

Could I get the study guide ?

Hi, could you send me the guide as well please, I am starting to study for it again :)
Email is: [email protected]
Thank you!

I hope this helps someone in the future - my studying strategy was:

6 months of VetPrep but I really worked on it the most in the last 3 months before NAVLE and got to 80%
1 ICVA NAVLE practice test that I purchased - it was pretty accurate at predicting my score, but I wondered if I should have done 1 or 2 more
I did two separate days of VetPrep practice tests over the same time length and the same amount of questions as the NAVLE as a "mock" NAVLE exam
I did all VetPrep practice questions as random so that I could get used to having a variety of species questions instead of studying one species at a time
I went through the ICVA NAVLE Species and Diagnoses 33 page document so I was at least familiar with all the names (listed under NAVLE Subject Matter: NAVLE | ICVA )
I also liked reading the diseases on the Merck Veterinary Manual website: Merck Veterinary Manual
I got a lot of rest the two days before, ate as healthy as I could for several weeks before

When I took the test:
I completed the tutorial
I covered up all the answers and read the entire question and tried to come up with my own answer and then read every answer listed and eliminated all the ones I thought were incorrect by crossing them out digitally
I got up and left the room for as many breaks as I could to keep myself fresh and packed snacks and water

I did surprisingly well and thought I failed it so don't be surprised if you don't feel good about the test after you write it.
If you need to take it a second time, then this was my plan:
-Do the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) NAVLE review and preparation course
-Work through the book "NAVLE secrets study guide: your key to exam success: NAVLE test review for the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination"
-Read "Saunders comprehensive review for NAVLE" by Patricia Schenck
-Contact Matt Holland - he offers support for people retaking the NAVLE - can find him on Facebook or by email: [email protected]
-Contact Jennifer Quammen and Ryan Smith on Facebook (Veterinarian Coaching)

Best of luck to all those that take and have to re-take it - it requires a lot of memorization of many diseases and the skills to do a multiple choice exam. It may be worth it to contact a company that can help you with taking multiple choice exams if you're re-taking it. Don't let anyone stop your dreams and keep going.

Hello, I am trying to find the ICVA NAVLE Species and Diagnoses 33 page document that you mention but I am lost in their page....can you send me the document directly or the link to it directly please? The email is: [email protected] Thank you!

Last edited: