Navy 4-year HPSP no longer available to UOP students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hetchhetchy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be attending UOP, class of 2015. I had been offered a 4-year Navy HPSP, which I was planning to use to fund my education at uop.

My recruiter just informed me that some changes were recently made within the Navy, and the 4 year HPSPs are no longer available to UOP students. B/c my graduation date is three years from now, I'd only be able to receive a 3 year HPSP. However, it sounds like the Navy just eliminated 3 year scholarships, so actually, no scholarships are available to UOP students. My recruiter said that they have lost several uop students to the Army because of this, but I'm really worried that there are no Army scholarships remaining (am waiting to hear back from a recruiter).

Does this affect anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I know an uop applicant that's applying to navy HPSP, he has to defer uop admission for a year to take the 4 year HPSP.

Thanks, Fuji.

Do you know if your friend knew about this policy awhile ago, or did he only recently find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure, I only spoke with him once during our hpsp interview, he got accepted this cycle, but he has to graduate in 2016 instead of 2015 to take the 4 year hpsp, contact the northern california navy hpsp recruiter, she knows what's going on.

I turn down UoP for this reason. My recruiter told me the Navy discontinued the 3 year scholarships. Instead I decided to go to Western U. Now I hear that the Navy is no longer providing the scholarship to schools with "initial accreditation."

Gman, that is awful news. Are you going to go on loans, in that case?

Apparently this policy change has deterred a number of people from attending Pacific. If I had known that this would be the case, I would have joined another branch which would have granted a 3 year HPSP for UoP. I wish the Navy could have made the policy change before the next application cycle, but such is military life.

In my case, I'm already non-traditional so deferring a year to then owe a 4-year payback (five years with the AEGD) is just further shortening my already limited number of years in practice. But, at the same time, my age makes it difficult for me to justify taking on that much in loans. I'm comforted knowing so many do it and are just fine, but am also worried based on the increasing number of posts I read on here from dentists who strongly encourage the HPSP and strongly discourage the debt incurred by attending UoP and other private schools.

The Navy is encouraging me to switch the HPSP to the HSCP. But given UoP's tuition, I'd still be quite a bit in debt after graduation (well over 100k) and still serving several years! I have read posts on here that suggest the HSCP is really only beneficial if one has dependents and/or one is attending a more affordable school. I am married, but my wife does not need the HSCP's monthly stipend while I am in school, and her career makes her geographically limited, so she is not able to follow me around the country while I serve in the military.

I am just really struggling with this decision. Is the HSCP worth the tuition debt reduction, or is it the case that once I'm already committing myself to paying back loans, the HSCP might not be worth the social implications (being apart from my wife for several years)? Is it worth deferring a year just to ensure that I will have no debt due to my education, though I'm already in my 30s? Or, do I just take out the loans, live frugally like everyone else making it in this economy, and pay them back probably until I retire?

I know no one but me and my family can answer these questions, but I'd appreciate any insight from anyone who has struggled with the same questions or who are in the same predicament.

Some things are negotiable. Perhaps you could press them to convert one of the post-AD IRR years from your original 3-year commitment to a 4th year of active duty so you'd end up paying back 4 years active for 3 years of school. It's worth a try if you're willing to do that extra year.

hetch; I think even without the full-ride, the Navy is still a great opportunity. You need to make an excel sheet for the finances. Also consider with HSCP you will be able to use the GI Bill during school and you will make more money after graduation with the extra time in service.
You have to step back and be honest with yourself about the realities of private practice after graduation in this economy. Every single practicing dentist I have ever talked to thinks the military is a great way to go, and that is before I tell them of the financial benefits. The catch is that it is a lifestyle commitment, and your wife has to be on board with it all. If you are not down for moving around, FORGET IT! Although with a 3-year commitment as a married man you could almost certainly stay in one place, although it will have to be a marine base such as Pendleton, Lejeune, 29 Palms or Okinawa. If you could handle Lejeune or 29 Palms for 3 years, I think you will know what to expect in that sense.

I was planning on taking out loans it is the only way i could pay for school. What sucks is that UoP offered me a scholarship that I turned down. It's frustrating dealing with the military when they implement these types of changes.

Aw Gman, your story just keeps getting worse. I feel for you, man.

vellnueve, Unfortunately this situation is non-negotiable. Thanks for the suggestion though. I did try as you suggested.

makushin, I've spent a bit of time really looking into the HSCP and have decided against it. It sounds like a great program, but won't really fit my needs given the expense of UoP.

At this point, I have essentially three options.

1. The Air Force has offered to allow me to apply to their 3 year HPSP when the new fiscal year begins in October, and if I am accepted, they would reimburse the tuition cost until that point since UoP is a 3 year school. I have read of this happening in a few other posts on this forum, and this is by far the best deal for me, but it is also very risky. There is no guarantee I'll be accepted to the AF, as I understand the 3 year AF HPSP is even more competitive than the 4 year scholarship, which is already quite competitive.

2. The Navy and UoP (which has been incredibly supportive and understanding of this situation) have suggested that I defer a year in order to be able to take the scholarship. Other students in the class of 2015 have opted to do this in order to be able to attend Pacific. I am not ready to rule out this option, though being in my 30s, I'm real reluctant to hold off for another year. Plus, I'm very, very ready to go back to school.

3. Take out the loans. I'm a frugal guy. However, taking on so much debt at my age does cause me quite a bit of concern when considering the fewer years I have to purchase and build a practice and my retirement than the majority of my counterparts.

Again, thanks for any insight. It's a tough choice for me and my wife and all experiences and suggestions are much appreciated.

Can someone absolutely confirm the Navy has done away with the 3 year HPSP for dental students?

Aw Gman, your story just keeps getting worse. I feel for you, man.

vellnueve, Unfortunately this situation is non-negotiable. Thanks for the suggestion though. I did try as you suggested.

makushin, I've spent a bit of time really looking into the HSCP and have decided against it. It sounds like a great program, but won't really fit my needs given the expense of UoP.

At this point, I have essentially three options.

1. The Air Force has offered to allow me to apply to their 3 year HPSP when the new fiscal year begins in October, and if I am accepted, they would reimburse the tuition cost until that point since UoP is a 3 year school. I have read of this happening in a few other posts on this forum, and this is by far the best deal for me, but it is also very risky. There is no guarantee I'll be accepted to the AF, as I understand the 3 year AF HPSP is even more competitive than the 4 year scholarship, which is already quite competitive.

2. The Navy and UoP (which has been incredibly supportive and understanding of this situation) have suggested that I defer a year in order to be able to take the scholarship. Other students in the class of 2015 have opted to do this in order to be able to attend Pacific. I am not ready to rule out this option, though being in my 30s, I'm real reluctant to hold off for another year. Plus, I'm very, very ready to go back to school.

3. Take out the loans. I'm a frugal guy. However, taking on so much debt at my age does cause me quite a bit of concern when considering the fewer years I have to purchase and build a practice and my retirement than the majority of my counterparts.

Again, thanks for any insight. It's a tough choice for me and my wife and all experiences and suggestions are much appreciated.

Based on all of my research, I understood that the 3 year Air Force HPSP is actually less competitive than the 4 year because there are more scholarships.